R. Lee Ermey, Best-Known For "Full Metal Jacket", Dies at 74

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 13178
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: R. Lee Ermey, Best-Known For "Full Metal Jacket", Dies at 74

Of course he appeared in other films as well, but his role as the gunnery sergeant in "Full Metal Jacket" was what people will remember him for. He was nominated for a Golden Globe award for the role, and probably should have been nominated for an Oscar, too. It was one of those roles that people don't forget. It is said that director Stanley Kubrick was so taken with Ermey's performance that Ermey is the only actor that Kubrick allowed to improvise his own dialogue. (Kubrick is probably the most micro-managing director in film history.)

RIP.
_________________
COMEUPPANCE FOR THE SPURS IS NIGH!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 20421

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject:

Donít forget Mail Call. He loved to blow up watermelons.

RIP
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
microbe obliterator
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 23 Jun 2017
Posts: 239

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject:

man, i really liked Lee....this one hurts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 25 Jul 2002
Posts: 34042
Location: L.A.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject:

He was actually a drill sergeant and a really nice guy. That sucks. I'd quote a memorable line but his best just dont pass the filter.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 13178
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
He was actually a drill sergeant and a really nice guy. That sucks. I'd quote a memorable line but his best just dont pass the filter.


"What is your major malfunction, numbnuts?!?!"
_________________
COMEUPPANCE FOR THE SPURS IS NIGH!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 30009

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Donít forget Mail Call. He loved to blow up watermelons.

RIP


Loved that show. Awesome guy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 40771
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
He was actually a drill sergeant and a really nice guy. That sucks. I'd quote a memorable line but his best just dont pass the filter.


"What is your major malfunction, numbnuts?!?!"




"You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece!"

RIP Gunnie.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
Heís something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built thatís all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Posts: 3478
Location: So what's the uh...topic of discussion?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject:

RIP

Gunny is one of the greatest movie characters.
_________________
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
http://forums.lakersground.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Dec 2004
Posts: 2909
Location: Quality over Quantity

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject:

He leaves behind a huge body of work for us to remember him by.

RIP, legend.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 16886

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
RIP

Gunny is one of the greatest movie characters.


Better you than me.
_________________
GOAT MAGIC REEL
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 16886

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
He was actually a drill sergeant and a really nice guy. That sucks. I'd quote a memorable line but his best just dont pass the filter.


"What is your major malfunction, numbnuts?!?!"




"You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece!"

RIP Gunnie.


I don't know, but I've been TOLD... (finish it, Mule!)
_________________
GOAT MAGIC REEL
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Posts: 14879
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: R. Lee Ermey, Best-Known For "Full Metal Jacket", Dies at 74

johnson83 wrote:
RIP

ChickenStu wrote:
Of course he appeared in other films as well, but his role as the gunnery sergeant in "Full Metal Jacket" was what people will remember him for. He was nominated for a Golden Globe award for the role, and probably should have been nominated for an Oscar, too. It was one of those roles that people don't forget. It is said that director Stanley Kubrick was so taken with Ermey's performance that Ermey is the only acetor that Kubrick allowed to improvise his own dialogue. (Kubrick is probably the most micro-managing director in film history.)

RIP.


"Show me your war face! Aaaahhhhhh! That's a war face!"

Article is correct that Gunnery Sergeant Hartman is an enduring character. I recall reading Ermey was only brought on as a technical adviser for the movie but was so good he was hired for the role.

RIP.
_________________
"Suck it up. Don't be a baby. Do your job." - Kobe Bryant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
audioaxes
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 9529

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject:

dang I was just rewatching his FMJ scenes the other day. His small part basically made that movie. RIP
_________________
anti-tank.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 1607

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject:

Damn, RIP.

"I'll bet you could suck a golf ball through a garden hose."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 82047
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
dang I was just rewatching his FMJ scenes the other day. His small part basically made that movie. RIP


I don't want to take anything away from his iconic role, but there were a number of them. Donofrio was amazing as Private Pyle, and the helicopter gunner was also revoltingly amazing.
_________________
Tolerance is an agreement to live in peace, not an agreement to be peaceful no matter the conduct of others. A peace treaty is not a suicide pact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 40771
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
He was actually a drill sergeant and a really nice guy. That sucks. I'd quote a memorable line but his best just dont pass the filter.


"What is your major malfunction, numbnuts?!?!"




"You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece!"

RIP Gunnie.


I don't know, but I've been TOLD... (finish it, Mule!)


Something about eskimos and cats . . .
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
Heís something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built thatís all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 82047
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
He was actually a drill sergeant and a really nice guy. That sucks. I'd quote a memorable line but his best just dont pass the filter.


"What is your major malfunction, numbnuts?!?!"




"You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece!"

RIP Gunnie.


I don't know, but I've been TOLD... (finish it, Mule!)


Something about eskimos and cats . . .
and temperature. Don't forget the temperature!
_________________
Tolerance is an agreement to live in peace, not an agreement to be peaceful no matter the conduct of others. A peace treaty is not a suicide pact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
JerryMagicKobe
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 28 Jul 2005
Posts: 14122

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
dang I was just rewatching his FMJ scenes the other day. His small part basically made that movie. RIP


I don't want to take anything away from his iconic role, but there were a number of them. Donofrio was amazing as Private Pyle, and the helicopter gunner was also revoltingly amazing.
As was Adam Baldwin as Animal Mother.
Fun Fact: The actor portraying the helicopter gunner was originally cast as the drill instructor before being replaced by Emey.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 82047
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
dang I was just rewatching his FMJ scenes the other day. His small part basically made that movie. RIP


I don't want to take anything away from his iconic role, but there were a number of them. Donofrio was amazing as Private Pyle, and the helicopter gunner was also revoltingly amazing.
As was Adam Baldwin as Animal Mother.
Fun Fact: The actor portraying the helicopter gunner was originally cast as the drill instructor before being replaced by Emey.


Yup. FWIW, I consider FMJ to be two separate movies, the first taking place in basic training, the second in Vietnam.
_________________
Tolerance is an agreement to live in peace, not an agreement to be peaceful no matter the conduct of others. A peace treaty is not a suicide pact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB