OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 998, 999, 1000 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
I'd still take Zo over every player in his draft.

The don't call this place overreaction.net for nothing.

Mitchell is a year older than Zo. That's one thing. While Mitchell has a chance at being the next best Ray Allen or Brandon Roy, Zo has a chance at being a generational talent who may re-define the PG position.

Mitchell right now is ahead of Zo. However, Zo's ceiling is still higher. I think a debate between Mitchell and Zo, or even Tatum and Zo comes down to those who just see the numbers and can't see the impact.

He has to get better by leaps and bounds for this to be even a thought.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject:

lakers4life78 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Mitchell is a year older than Zo. That's one thing. While Mitchell has a chance at being the next best Ray Allen or Brandon Roy, Zo has a chance at being a generational talent who may re-define the PG position.

Mitchell right now is ahead of Zo. However, Zo's ceiling is still higher. I think a debate between Mitchell and Zo, or even Tatum and Zo comes down to those who just see the numbers and can't see the impact.

Good thing he's starting at 10, 7, & 7 then huh...because if that's sucksville as a rookie year 2 growth projects modestly to 14, 9 & 9.

It's possible that averaging a triple double for the season by year 3 on normal growth metrics is leaps and bounds...but doing something only done by 2 other people in NBA history certainly wouldn't make a player a generational talent...would it?

#BannersOverBillboards
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Good thing he's starting at 10, 7, & 7 then huh...because if that's sucksville as a rookie year 2 growth projects modestly to 14, 9 & 9.

It's possible that averaging a triple double for the season by year 3 on normal growth metrics is leaps and bounds...but doing something only done by 2 other people in NBA history certainly wouldn't make a player a generational talent...would it?

You're preaching to choir. I am a big Ball guy. His dad, Stephen A idiot, unrealistic expectations and bad shooting have had people overlooking what he contributes. Just read on another thread someone say Hart would be better than Ball as a PG if Lebron came here, which is comical.

But by improvements I mean physicality. He was dinged a lot, plus consistency, and his offense needs to be serviceable. Yes, I see him in the future being a 15-16 ppg, 10 assists, 8-9 rebounds a game guy with defense.

Generational talent is a term thrown around too much.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
markjay wrote:
Wvc0925 wrote:
How did the lakers miss on Mitchell and decided to go with Zo?

The ten teams that picked after the Lakers also passed on Mitchell, so it certainly wasn’t obvious how good he would be.

In any case, I am still predicting that Lonzo has the better NBA career. Lonzo is already better at everything other than shooting/scoring and he is more than a year younger than Mitchell as well.

I don't want to create a messy debate here but the ONLY people in the world who keep pretending like they'd take Lonzo over Mitchell are those on this board.

Lonzo is a great rebounder, really good defender, and he is a great ball mover but Mitchell is on a completely different level right now. Just as Lonzo can grow in the areas of shooting, handles, scoring, body, etc, so will DM.

But I agree that people shouldn't sweat missing on Mitchell... 12 teams did. In fact Denver traded him for Lyles and Lydon.

There is something about shooting guards at #13: Kobe, Booker, Mitchell.

Guess what? This is the same Fultz v. Lonzo debate from before the draft rehashed. The whole argument for Lonzo has always been centered around his peak potential above that of a conventional lead scoring guard like Fultz and Mitchell, as JZ Mazlish outlined in this pre-draft assessment from back in summer 2016:

Quote:
The current iteration of James Harden would be hard-pressed to be the best player on a championship team, and not just because of the presence of the Warriors. Just to meet historical championship-team standards, the Rockets would need to greatly improve their supporting cast and get pretty lucky. There are about four to six guys in the league who are better than Harden, and it is damn hard to be better than their teams when you’re starting with a worse star.

Markelle Fultz’s upside is somewhere close to, but below Harden's. Both are elite scorers from three, mid-range, and at the hoop. Both are great creators in pick-and-roll. Both also both lack absolute outlier shooting, athleticism, or passing. Even with good development across the board, Fultz may never reach Harden's level of efficiency of shot selection, shooting ability, foul-drawing ability, or passing. (...)

On the other hand, Ball's unique game does give him a chance to be that guy. He doesn't play well in pick-and-roll, struggles handling against pressure, and isn't great at creating his own inside the arc. Yet, Ball still won national freshman of the year and completely turned around his UCLA team. To understand what makes Ball special requires understanding that he dominated in the NCAA despite these weaknesses.

There has never been an NBA star with Ball's flaws, sure. However, what is crucial to realize is there had also never been an NCAA star with those flaws until Ball came around. He is a unique amalgamation of strengths who succeeds in a completely unprecedented way. It was unprecedented at the NCAA level, so it would be foolish to not at least cede the chance that he could also star in a revolutionary way in the NBA.

The stars the league does not see coming are often those whose play style does not match any past star. Stephen Curry, Draymond Green, and Nikola Jokic all were seen as "low-upside" prospects precisely because their success came in ways the league had never seen before.

Link

Each season is evidence to prove or disprove a draft hypothesis, and you certainly may have lowered your peak projection for Ball, particularly vis-a-vis a talented, if conventional, scoring lead guard like Mitchell, based on the data of a mixed rookie season. I get that. But for many folks - and I would be a Ball believer if he was a Celtic or Sixer - the evidence I've seen to date doesn't yet dissuade me from projecting Ball's peak to be at the peak of his draft class even if he (as a flawed 20-year-old rookie PG) has a long way to go to get there.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject:

^I don't think people understand how Mitchell was used. He lived up to that 3 and D archetype and wasn't really asked to be a lead playmaker. So, how do you scout a player without knowing/seeing what else they can do on that NCAA floor?

Add to that, Lonzo had incredible shooting percentages, no matter what play types they came from. LAL fans would have crucified the Lakers if they drafted Mitchell at #2, and then Donovan couldn't change the culture or meet other team goals that Lonzo provides, while Zo elsewhere would be amazing.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject:

Not a lot of PGs who took their teams to the NBA Finals as that team's best player. Really, when you think about it, there are only five in the last three decades - Isiah Thomas, Magic Johnson, Jason Kidd, Gary Payton and Steph Curry. I suppose you could add Stockton to that list if you believed him to be better than Karl Malone. If you want to limit that list to PGs who led their teams to a title as the best player on that team, that shrinks down to Curry, Johnson and Thomas.

When I talk about a generational talent at the PG position, those are the guys I'm looking at. Maybe throw Nash and Chris Paul in there too if you want. Even then, we're talking about 6-8 players in the last 30 years. I think Ball has a chance of being in that group, if not the potential to be close to the top of it.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject:

You have to give young players some time. Mitchell is a year older and is only asked to score. Lonzo is younger and asked to run the whole team and be the lead defender as well. IMO lonzo did great and exceeded my expectations. His defense have been frankly jaw dropping and is much harder to excel at than scoring is at such a young age.

IMO Lonzo was a good shooter in college. He will be a good shooter in the NBA. A lot of times skinny guys who were good shooters in college have trouble their first year in the nba, especially if they come in as 19 year olds. Many people last season said that Brandon Ingram was historically bad and would never be a good shooter. Well guess what? They were wrong, BI really turned his shooting around in his second season.

Zo will be the same. His shooting will come around with more strength and experience in the NBA. Add his amazing defense, court IQ and elite passing and you have a complete package.

Mitchell is good, but Zo will be better.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject:

BVH - great post. The thing about generational talents is that they exploit a niche that those before them hadn't exploited, or, at the least, hadn't exploited to the level the new player did. As your post suggests, that's where Ball could fit it. Mitchel, now, and Fultz, at the time of the draft, appear to be more sure things... but Ball's ceiling, because of his unique traits, skills and brain, is harder to gauge and may very well exceed their's as a result

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject:

I like Lonzo but you guys are higher on him than I am. I hope I am wrong. I like him but his flaws are really bad. His level of toughness is something that I am questioning too.

I really like how Pelinka and Magic challenged Zo and company to improve their bodies this summer. "This is your playoffs." That level of accountability is something we didn't see in our last regime. I am eager to see how he dedicates himself and responds next year.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Not a lot of PGs who took their teams to the NBA Finals as that team's best player. Really, when you think about it, there are only five in the last three decades - Isiah Thomas, Magic Johnson, Jason Kidd, Gary Payton and Steph Curry. I suppose you could add Stockton to that list if you believed him to be better than Karl Malone. If you want to limit that list to PGs who led their teams to a title as the best player on that team, that shrinks down to Curry, Johnson and Thomas.

When I talk about a generational talent at the PG position, those are the guys I'm looking at. Maybe throw Nash and Chris Paul in there too if you want. Even then, we're talking about 6-8 players in the last 30 years. I think Ball has a chance of being in that group, if not the potential to be close to the top of it.

I would add Billups, but I realize that it is debatable who was the best player on that team.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

I would add Billups, but I realize that it is debatable who was the best player on that team.

Good point. They were kind of a superstar by committee team but he was the guy they gave the ball in the biggest moments and he was the best player IMO
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:
I like Lonzo but you guys are higher on him than I am. I hope I am wrong. I like him but his flaws are really bad. His level of toughness is something that I am questioning too.

I really like how Pelinka and Magic challenged Zo and company to improve their bodies this summer. "This is your playoffs." That level of accountability is something we didn't see in our last regime. I am eager to see how he dedicates himself and responds next year.

Yeah, his bad is awful, but other guys may never learn how he's able to read the floor/pass/defend at that level throughout at 10-12 year career.

That's what makes Lonzo so intriguing.

At least Lonzo's stuff is fixable. Now it's just reps.

BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:

I think he’s a tough kid and I don’t think it was his choice to sit out as much as he did. It’s hard for me to imagine him not being tough with how he handled everything that happened to him in the past year-18 months. Once he grows up I doubt he’s a player who misses a bunch of time but that’s TBD.

I agree that he has some glaring flaws. I would also argue that he has some outlier strengths that are more valuable than any strength of other players in the draft. In addition, I’m not sure if his glaring weaknesses are as detrimental to him and his team as they are perceived.

I couldn’t agree more with your last paragraph.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:

Yeah, his bad is awful, but other guys may never learn how he's able to read the floor/pass/defend at that level throughout at 10-12 year career.

His feel for the game is REALLY REALLY good, so I see that upside, I agree completely with that is what makes him intriguing. Some things are just natural for him.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:

I think he’s a tough kid and I don’t think it was his choice to sit out as much as he did. It’s hard for me to imagine him not being tough with how he handled everything that happened to him in the past year-18 months. Once he grows up I doubt he’s a player who misses a bunch of time but that’s TBD.

I agree that he has some glaring flaws. I would also argue that he has some outlier strengths that are more valuable than any strength of other players in the draft. In addition, I’m not sure if his glaring weaknesses are as detrimental to him and his team as they are perceived.

I was reading between the lines on what Luke has said about his injuries. It seemed as he wasn't responding well and it "hurt." IMO, his feedback held him out. He needs to learn the difference between pain and injury. Part of the reason why he sat because we didn't trust his physical development.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:

His feel for the game is REALLY REALLY good, so I see that upside, I agree completely with that is what makes him intriguing. Some things are just natural for him.

What makes it personally weird for me is the reason why 6'8" guys dominate the NBA game.

6'3" and under guys need an extra step + massive wingspan + vert to finish well. Outlier stuff (Dwyane Wade sticks out, plays like a 6'8" player)

6'6"-6'10" guys that we're talking about already have 6'10"-7'4" wingspans (e.g. Durant, LeBron, Kobe, etc). They don't need that extra step in the paint and can "extend the range" on finishing; Kuzma's floater/hook game, Ingram finishing at the rim repeatedly on drives on basic moves.

Most 6'10" guys and taller don't have the skill level + athleticism to compensate. Giannis and AD are next in-line. Giannis still doesn't shoot consistently from the perimeter, AD can, but doesn't initiate an offense.

BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:

I was reading between the lines on what Luke has said about his injuries. It seemed as he wasn't responding well and it "hurt." IMO, his feedback held him out. He needs to learn the difference between pain and injury. Part of the reason why he sat because we didn't trust his physical development.

If your boss asks you if it hurts, you tell them the truth. At least that how it seems the Lakers want it. And then it’s your bosses decision if you should or shouldn’t play hurt. I don’t think he thought he was injured or had the choice to play while hurt. I think he was honest and the rest was outta his hands. Maybe he should’ve BSed the trainers to appease fans but I’m happy he didn’t.

Few players have had to deal with the hype he had in the history of the NBA and there’s no others who had it in the social media era. And he went through tons of off court stuff. Mom had a severe stroke, father constantly in the media, brother getting kicked outta school then both brothers going to Lithuania to play, and his girlfriend getting pregnant. He couldn’t control any of that besides the pregnancy and he dealt with all of it professionally. His physical toughness is in question although I think he’ll prove he’s tough. His mental toughness should not be in question IMO.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject:

It is a generational thing. I can guarantee that Kobe wouldn’t have missed many games. Guys in the 70’s and 80’s wouldn’t have missed many games. My son is 20, I coached him in football up to 13 and you pretty much had to tie guys on that team to the bench to keep them out of games. Last year I coached 13 yo and guys would sit out because their finger hurt. That being said, we had nothing to play for so I have no problem with Lonzo sitting out.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:

If your boss asks you if it hurts, you tell them the truth. At least that how it seems the Lakers want it. And then it’s your bosses decision if you should or shouldn’t play hurt. I don’t think he thought he was injured or had the choice to play while hurt. I think he was honest and the rest was outta his hands. Maybe he should’ve BSed the trainers to appease fans but I’m happy he didn’t.

Few players have had to deal with the hype he had in the history of the NBA and there’s no others who had it in the social media era. And he went through tons of off court stuff. Mom had a severe stroke, father constantly in the media, brother getting kicked outta school then both brothers going to Lithuania to play, and his girlfriend getting pregnant. He couldn’t control any of that besides the pregnancy and he dealt with all of it professionally. His physical toughness is in question although I think he’ll prove he’s tough. His mental toughness should not be in question IMO.

Nah, I would of been like "I'm ready to go coach, put me in."

He just isn't that kind of cat right now. Contusion = bruise = sissy. lHe's not a tough guy, it's just not who he is. No sugar coating it just because he's a Laker.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:

Nah, I would of been like "I'm ready to go coach, put me in."

He just isn't that kind of cat right now. Contusion = bruise = sissy. lHe's not a tough guy, it's just not who he is. No sugar coating it just because he's a Laker.

“It hurts but I can play, put me in”

“No we’re not playing you till it doesn’t hurt”

You really don’t think this conversation ever happened?
I’m not sugar coating anything just using some context.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Haven't we had enough guys play on injury (regardless of what it is) and end up more hurt down the line?

Nothing sissy about that. That's real.

LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
It is a generational thing. I can guarantee that Kobe wouldn’t have missed many games. Guys in the 70’s and 80’s wouldn’t have missed many games. My son is 20, I coached him in football up to 13 and you pretty much had to tie guys on that team to the bench to keep them out of games. Last year I coached 13 yo and guys would sit out because their finger hurt. That being said, we had nothing to play for so I have no problem with Lonzo sitting out.

Agreed, VLF. I think it is a generational thing.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Haven't we had enough guys play on injury (regardless of what it is) and end up more hurt down the line?

If the injury was more severe I would agree.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

If the injury was more severe I would agree.

The body will always compensate for the other side. Considering we weren't playing for the playoffs, I don't see why it's a big deal.

I was even good with Ingram taking all the time off. The entire team worked extremely hard since last summer and *usually* the transition from the NCAA year to rookie year is the hardest/most mileage, before the playoffs hit.

I mean, game 1, bam, Donovan Mitchell already got hurt, and played on it. Guys that do this end up with issues long term. I've seen enough from IT, Grant Hill, Kobe Bryant, etc.

Tatum OTOH, plays 30mpg on less than 20% USG.

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Honestly, no need to play him if he was banged up with nothing to play for.

The NBA season is a brutal marathon, no need to waste miles on your tires.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 998, 999, 1000 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 999 of 1688
Jump to: