Poll: Would you trade Bryant and Hart for DLO?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you trade Hart and TBryant for DLO if the Nets called in the off season.
Yes!
17%
 17%  [ 37 ]
No!
82%
 82%  [ 176 ]
Total Votes : 213

Captain America
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
If Russell blows up and becomes a 20+ ppg scoring all-star caliber guard he projects to be, then no it wasn't a good trade unless the Lakers sign a max free agent. Hart could be very good but he won't be an all-star. Again, unless he becomes CJ McCollum redux he projects as a fantastic backup 2 and a solid starting 2 in a pinch. He's a maintenance man as James Worthy would call him.

But if we could have stuck an all-star caliber shooting/combo guard next to Lonzo that was still on a rookie contract for 3 more seasons then I don't think you win that trade unless you sign an all-star caliber max in the off-season.

If the Lakers sign George for example, it's a win, because where would Russell's place be on the team if they signed George? He wouldn't be coming off the bench, and you aren't benching Ingram, so then yes Brooklyn would be the best spot for him.

But if we go into next year looking like we may have to start Hart at the 2, than that's good, but if Russell has a healthy season where he plays more or less like he started this season before the injury, you can't say that we got the better player.

WHAT Hart is however, is a great glue guy and maintenance/utility man that every team needs and he is very reliable and you don't have to attach "if healthy" to the description of him. Which is a very big deal in this day and age when projecting players and dependency.

As far as Bryant goes.. he's 2 years away from being 2 years away and his playstyle seems more akin to a stretch 4 than a 5. But he'd be on the perimeter more as a 4 and considering his lateral quickness is so far behind that Tarik Black crossed him up at the top of the key.. I have my worries about what his "2 years away" actually projects to be. But he's still young and can still work on his body so we'll see. Zubac is far closer to the Lopez mold than Bryant is however and actually can be effective against NBA competition.

Disagree strongly on D-Lo’s projected All-star capacity. What (aside from his draft #) has led you to believe he is a rotation player in this league? I think it’s okay to admit we committed an all-time draft bust. Fortunately we hit on ton of late firsts (Nance, Kuzma, Hart) to make up for one awful pick. Not to mention Ball, Randle, and even Ingram are shaping up to be outstanding draft selections.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
the "if" is more about him remaining healthy than it is "if he puts it together".

If his floor was where he is right now (healthy) that's a 20/5/4 guy, that's a pretty high floor.

The only thing left is becoming a better version of what he is and remaining healthy.

That's the "if".

Biased nonsense. Hart can also become a better version of himself, especially since this was his first season.... IF.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:
MJST wrote:
the "if" is more about him remaining healthy than it is "if he puts it together".

If his floor was where he is right now (healthy) that's a 20/5/4 guy, that's a pretty high floor.

The only thing left is becoming a better version of what he is and remaining healthy.

That's the "if".

Biased nonsense. Hart can also become a better version of himself, especially since this was his first season.... IF.

Exactly. And if we’re just going to judge ”who won” the trade based on All-Star appearances, what if Russell never actually does make an All-Star team in his career? What then? I'm not as convinced as I once was that he’ll be an All-Star, and it’s not because of his talent. The talent is there. But if you're expecting him to become an All-Star someday you're also expecting that flip to finally switch and he relentlessly pursues greatness. That has to happen first.

Personally, I’d take a ”glue guy” who will never make an All-Star team, but is an extremely reliable bench player/starter and two-way player over a guy with All-Star potential who’s desire to be the best he can be is questionable, especially when you watch him play and there’s an obvious effort issue. There's more than a decent case to be made that the aforementioned ”glue guy” is more valuable. Would you rather have Derek Fisher or Darius Miles?

Last edited by Judah on Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:
MJST wrote:

That's the "if".

Sure he can. But the version Russell already is, while being younger than Hart is a 20/4/5 guy when healthy.

Josh Hart isn't there yet. I fully expect Josh Hart to get better. But Hart as he projects is a great backup 2 and a solid starting 2 in a pinch. Unless he's CJ McCollum part 2. Does anyone project him there? I don't think anyone is saying that about him. So I'm looking at where Russell already is when healthy, and becoming better at that. So If I looked at Russell being healthy and a better version of what he is right now, he's an all-star caliber guard in this league.

if I look at Hart being healthy and a better version of what he is now, he's a great backup 2 and a solid starting 2 in a pinch. That's a fair assumption.

Hart becoming CJ part 2 would be like me saying Russell is gonna become another Curry.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject:

DLO could eventually end up as a Harden type player. And I know that seems like a reach, but he has a lot of the same skills.

I watched Harden do NOTHING against the Lakers as a rookie and even in his 2nd and 3rd years I felt he was extremely overrated.

Even though I still don't like his style of play, you would have to be insane to argue it isn't effective.
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:40 am    Post subject:

Harden goes to the rim with ease, DLO goes to the rim 3 times per season.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:46 am    Post subject:

matigol wrote:

Thank you. Thank you for making it clear that every slow-footed, shifty combo guard who can shoot is not comparable to Harden.

Harden’s game, even with his awkward shape, is built on being physical, using his big body to draw lots of fouls. He drives and finishes. That just ain’t who Russell is.

Like I stated before, he’s much closer to Jamal Crawford. Both him and Crawford RARELY ever make it all the way to the cup, preferring to pull-up on their way to the hole.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
matigol wrote:

Thank you. Thank you for making it clear that every slow-footed, shifty combo guard who can shoot is not comparable to Harden.

Harden’s game, even with his awkward shape, is built on being physical, using his big body to draw lots of fouls. He drives and finishes. That just ain’t who Russell is.

Like I stated before, he’s much closer to Jamal Crawford. Both him and Crawford RARELY ever make it all the way to the cup, preferring to pull-up on their way to the hole.

Wonder if Bulls, Knicks, and Hawks fans still argue about letting Crawford go. 😜
To J-Crossover's credit, Max Kellerman used to say if you squint real hard, you can see Michael Jordan in Jamal Crawford. No one will be saying that about Russell I suspect.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject:

I see Hart becoming at a min a Fisher type of a player. DLo can be a 1 maybe 2 yrs all star at best.

But if I have a choice between Derek or Conley vs Allan Houston or Sprewell or Redd or Devin Harris or Mo Williams or Danny Granger. I love to have the glue guy in my team.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject:

I guess it makes sense to get your business in while you still can before the wall goes up.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8
Jump to: