LA Lakers 'All-Time' Draft Class Impresses NBA Insiders Around the League

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: LA Lakers 'All-Time' Draft Class Impresses NBA Insiders Around the League

Hey all,

My latest at @BleacherReport LA Lakers 'All-Time' Draft Class Impresses NBA Insiders Around the League
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2770084-la-lakers-all-time-draft-class-impresses-nba-insiders-around-the-league

Sadly, no mention of Thomas Bryant, lol

Cheers,

EP
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: LA Lakers 'All-Time' Draft Class Impresses NBA Insiders Around the League

emplay wrote:
Hey all,

My latest at @BleacherReport LA Lakers 'All-Time' Draft Class Impresses NBA Insiders Around the League
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2770084-la-lakers-all-time-draft-class-impresses-nba-insiders-around-the-league

Sadly, no mention of Thomas Bryant, lol

Cheers,

EP

I loved that! The Lakers staff obviously has a keen eye for talent. It's becoming very, very impressive.

Thomas Bryant might be added to the conversation next year. Thanks Eric.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject:

This entire article had me

And the glowing statements from “Griff” (LeBron voice)?

I’m feeling goooood!
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject:

This Lakers draft class will be remembered as all-time...tbd if it’s actually with the Lakers. Magic and Pelinka have made it pretty clear they won’t hesitate trading any current lakers player.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Don't agree
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
Don't agree

Remembered as all-time or Lakers FO not hesitating to trade any current player?

If it's the latter, I hope you are right because it seemed like based on what they said today that any player is available especially if that player doesn't follow through on the plan they set out for him.

I would rather keep the young core and progress that way...the other way is dicey and I don't want to become Knicks 2.0
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject:

If you think the Lakers want to trade players like Zo, Kuzma, Ingram or Hart - you're not paying attention. They're not.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject:

Well done yet again, Eric. And I love seeing "video analyst Pete Zayas of Laker Film Room" in the article.

LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
If you think the Lakers want to trade players like Zo, Kuzma, Ingram or Hart - you're not paying attention. They're not.

While I don’t think it’s likely, if the players don’t listen to the marching orders I don’t think anyone is safe.

Again, I don’t want any of the young core traded...I’m just reading between the lines and looking back at their history to date.

Russell - talented, aloof kid who did his own thing, seemed to rub people in the organization the wrong way. He was the first one to go.

Young - class clown type personality, Lakers FO probably didn’t think he was serious enough.

Clarkson - seen as a mini Nick Young personality. Outspoken at times.

Randle listened and now he has a good chance of coming back. Hart, Kuzma and Ingram all have a reputation of very high work ethic. Lonzo, they say loves the game, but there are also comments about his time off the court.

I want to be clear that 99% chance that none of the young core will be traded, but I really don’t think anyone is untouchable, especially if they piss off Magic and Pelinka

Zubac didn’t listen and now he could be cut.

They just seemed to have a pretty stern message yesterday imo, follow the program or you won’t be here...

Fwiw: FO will at least be more patient with the current core because these are their draft picks (except for Ingram).
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject:

You're reading between the wrong lines
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
You're reading between the wrong lines

Ok. I don’t think we are far off just that imo you seem to think the young core is untouchable while I believe there is a small chance (1% for example) that one or a couple could be used in a package.

Nance was an organization favorite and he was shipped out.

Anyway, fair enough. We will see what transpires.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject:

Emplay, I'm going to succinctly ask you what I think the poster above seems to asserting: are there any untouchables on our roster?
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject:

there's always a chance but the Lakers are far more likely to send out picks and cash and maybe Zubac than one of their core 4 young players. They're more likely to wait until 2019 to get something done if it's too costly
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject:

Technically, no player on any team is really untouchable. The Lakers have no intention of trading their core four players (Kuz, BI, Zo, Hart) - anyone else is TBD
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject:

I don't think there are any untouchables, but BI, Lonzo (at least right now), and maybe Kuz, come damn close.

Bottom line is that we're not going to move assets that we've not only raised, but realize they're blooming right before our very eyes, and hopefully blooming enough to attract those alphas we're targeting this summer.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
emplay wrote:

While I don’t think it’s likely, if the players don’t listen to the marching orders I don’t think anyone is safe.

Again, I don’t want any of the young core traded...I’m just reading between the lines and looking back at their history to date.

Russell - talented, aloof kid who did his own thing, seemed to rub people in the organization the wrong way. He was the first one to go.

Young - class clown type personality, Lakers FO probably didn’t think he was serious enough.

Randle listened and now he has a good chance of coming back. Hart, Kuzma and Ingram all have a reputation of very high work ethic. Lonzo, they say loves the game, but there are also comments about his time off the court.

I want to be clear that 99% chance that none of the young core will be traded, but I really don’t think anyone is untouchable, especially if they piss off Magic and Pelinka

They just seemed to have a pretty stern message yesterday imo, follow the program or you won’t be here...

Fwiw: FO will at least be more patient with the current core because these are their draft picks (except for Ingram).

1) Young left on his own because he wanted to experience being on a winning team again since he’s late in his career. I don’t remember reading anything that suggested they didn’t want him back.

2) Trading Clarkson was a necessity because they couldn’t trade Deng.

3) You completely made that up about Zubac. He came into camp with his body fat under 10%, which was the new rule. If my memory is right, he came in at 8% and that was his nickname for the first couple of days of training camp.

4) I didn’t hear them mention anything about Lonzo’s off the court stuff, but then again, I did miss the first few minutes of the presser. Are you sure you aren’t projecting the weird opinions of people on this forum onto the FO?
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject:

This was a great draft class because of Kuzma and Hart who are legitimate steals at the position they were drafted in. Bryant is also a find as 2nd rounders are always hit or miss and he looks like a hit.

Whether this goes down as an all time draft calls depends on Lonzo really making it big. It is not like he performed better than any 2nd pick in the draft but he played good when available. If he and Kuzma go on to be stars and Hart becomes a playoff caliber starter and Bryant becomes at least a rotation player this will be an all time great draft. 2 stars, I good starter and a good rotation player is hard to beat.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
emplay wrote:

1) Young left on his own because he wanted to experience being on a winning team again since he’s late in his career. I don’t remember reading anything that suggested they didn’t want him back.

3) You completely made that up about Zubac. He came into camp with his body fat under 10%, which was the new rule. If my memory is right, he came in at 8% and that was his nickname for the first couple of days of training camp.

4) I didn’t hear them mention anything about Lonzo’s off the court stuff, but then again, I did miss the first few minutes of the presser. Are you sure you aren’t projecting the weird opinions of people on this forum onto the FO?

First, there is no need to take shots. Either you want discuss with some etiquette or this is just a waste of time.

1) The Lakers wanted to usher out the “3 stooges” as sometimes some referred to them - DLO, Young, Clarkson.

2) Again, they were trying to get rid of Clarkson the entire year.

3) Zubac said himself he regrets some things and he wasn’t prepared. So, I didn’t make anything up.

4) No matter who it comes from, opinions are opinions and you are free to make of them what you will. Maybe for some, your opinions are just as “weird” as your opinions are “weird” to them.

There is no need to attack. If you want to, then cheers, I’ll bow out.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Judah wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
emplay wrote:

First, there is no need to take shots. Either you want discuss with some etiquette or this is just a waste of time.

1) The Lakers wanted to usher out the “3 stooges” as sometimes some referred to them - DLO, Young, Clarkson.

2) Again, they were trying to get rid of Clarkson the entire year.

3) Zubac said himself he regrets some things and he wasn’t prepared. So, I didn’t make anything up.

4) No matter who it comes from, opinions are opinions and you are free to make of them what you will. Maybe for some, your opinions are just as “weird” as your opinions are “weird” to them.

There is no need to attack. If you want to, then cheers, I’ll bow out.

1) But where did you get that from? Did you get it from an article, hear it on the radio, or something else? Or is it only a theory that originated on LG? If it’s the latter, you shouldn’t refer to it as fact. I’m not saying that’s where it came from. All I’m saying is that I can’t recall ever reading it anywhere per an actual source.

2) Yeah, because they couldn’t trade Deng lol. Clarkson is one of the best sixth men in the league. Do you honestly think they were bullish on trading him no matter what, even if they had found a taker for Deng? I don’t think his personality or the way he carries himself endeared them to him, but their supreme motivation behind moving him was for the cap space. We all knew that going into the season.

3) So Zu saying he has “regrets” about how the season went for him is the same thing as supposedly “not listening” to them? Do you not think there’s a massive chasm of difference between those two things?

4) “Lonzo, they say he loves the game, but there are also comments about him off the court.”

^^You said this. Who made these “comments”? The FO or disgruntled fans on the forum? Again, there’s a chasm of a difference between the two. If you don’t recognize that, I don’t know what else there is to say.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Ok. Let me preface that I’m not spinning anything as fact, no one except the Lakers FO knows. In fact, I usually call out non-factual posts from certain posters on here that are portrayed as facts. So, cool? Are we past that overall premise?

1. The Lakers have been lukewarm on that trio even before Magic and Pelinka took over, it just intensified when the front office changed. This is all based on reports, radio and the fact that all 3 are gone.

2. I will give you that clarkson trade was partially to create space, however and again imo they weren’t too high on him. I personally liked having him but he did pout during the season and my vibe is there were issues behind the scenes. Obviously only JC and the Lakers truly know.

3. Zubac directly mentioned his regrets so you can take that for what you will. Personally, I don’t believe he was 8% body fat. Didn’t look like it to me in Summer League. Anyway, not here to argue...this one is straight from Zu.

4. Lonzo, I am fine with what I have seen to date. Just my opinion based on what I have seen, read and heard from Magic/Pelinka that they expect more. I’m not saying he has work ethic issues or that he is lazy. It seems like they want to make sure he balances his basketball activities and his off court commitments.

I’m not asking you to agree or disagree, just that you wouldn’t know 100% what’s going on...just like the rest of us.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject:

A little early to consider it an all-time draft class. They certainly look like solid draft picks, but let's see how all of their careers turn out first. That said, it's a great sign that the Lakers have shown some good young potential talent. They've been spinning their wheels for far too long.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
A little early to consider it an all-time draft class. They certainly look like solid draft picks, but let's see how all of their careers turn out first. That said, it's a great sign that the Lakers have shown some good young potential talent. They've been spinning their wheels for far too long.

Yeah, it's pretty silly, even if you notice the caveat that they're saying best class relative to position drafted.

Since we're including guys who were drafted by others and immediately acquired, it's hard to beat the 1986 Cavs draft class:

Brad Daughtery (#1)
Ron Harper (#8)
Mark Price (#25)
Plus Hot Rod Williams, who was drafted earlier, had his rookie year that season.
strong9
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject:

I'm pretty low on Lonzo so I'd have to disagree. But we won't know for years.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: