rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
News is circulating that Jordan Howard has deleted all his Bears related posts on Instagram. Possible move?

Interesting.

Bears are denying it but the vultures have been circling for some time this offseason. It'd be wise for them to get any value for him seeing as he's not the best fit for them.

I'm trying to think of teams that would be good fits. Tampa does need a legit starting RB, which is why I have them trading up to 31 with the Patriots to get Guice in my mock. But if they could get Howard for, say, a 3rd rounder, they might prefer that. What about the Panthers? Christian McCaffrey cannot handle a full workload between the tackles, and I doubt that they are that high on Cameron Artis-Payne. The Redskins? That might not be a bad tandem, with Chris Thompson as the pass-catcher. I think the Giants are in rebuild mode, so I doubt they'd give up a pick at this stage of their plans. Denver? Indy? Patriots? Perhaps White stays as the strict passing down guy, and Howard and Burkhead can split the rest of the work.

I'm thinking Baltimore or Seattle.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:56 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
News is circulating that Jordan Howard has deleted all his Bears related posts on Instagram. Possible move?

Interesting.

Bears are denying it but the vultures have been circling for some time this offseason. It'd be wise for them to get any value for him seeing as he's not the best fit for them.

I'm trying to think of teams that would be good fits. Tampa does need a legit starting RB, which is why I have them trading up to 31 with the Patriots to get Guice in my mock. But if they could get Howard for, say, a 3rd rounder, they might prefer that. What about the Panthers? Christian McCaffrey cannot handle a full workload between the tackles, and I doubt that they are that high on Cameron Artis-Payne. The Redskins? That might not be a bad tandem, with Chris Thompson as the pass-catcher. I think the Giants are in rebuild mode, so I doubt they'd give up a pick at this stage of their plans. Denver? Indy? Patriots? Perhaps White stays as the strict passing down guy, and Howard and Burkhead can split the rest of the work.

I'm thinking Baltimore or Seattle.

I think Baltimore likes Alex Collins, and I don't think they'll want to give up a pick for what they would probably consider to be a marginal upgrade. They pass to their running backs A LOT, and Howard would be off the field a lot, so I think any team that would trade for him would have to have a clear need. As for Seattle, this is just my opinion, but I think they are looking to rebuild, and I'm not sure they should be giving up picks at this point. They need to not only rebuild that defense, but they also need WR's and pretty much an entire offensive line LOL. I also think that they really like Chris Carson.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject:

Current odds:

For #1 pick
Darnold -200
Allen +200
Barkley +450
Rosen +800
Chubb +2500
Mayfield +2500

For Giants' #2 pick overall (No action if they trade it)

Chubb +225
Barkley +250
Darnold +275
Allen +350
Rosen +350
Nelson +1400

For 2nd QB drafted
Allen -150
Rosen +175
Darnold +275
Mayfield +700
Jackson +2500
Rudolph +3000

For 2nd RB drafted
Guice -275
Michel +200
Chubb +500
Jones +1400
Barkley +1500
Penny +3000

For 1st WR drafted
Ridley -150
Moore +175
Sutton +400
Washington +800
Kirk +1000
Chark +1500

Over/Under on # of QB's chosen in 1st round: 5.5

Over/Under on # of RB's chosen in 1st round: 1.5

Over/Under on # of WR's chosen in 1st round: 2.5

Over/Under on # of Alabama players chosen in 1st round: 3.5
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Another attempt by me to read tea leaves before the draft...

It's pretty obvious that the Bills want to trade up for a QB. I also think, as I've previously posted, that the Dolphins would really love to draft Baker Mayfield. Mayfield quite possibly won't last to #11, however, and the Dolphins have to know that the Bills are in good position to move up in front of them. Some reports have surfaced that the only QB the Giants really love is Darnold. If that's true, and if Darnold goes 1st, perhaps the Giants would feel compelled to trade with the Bills, who could offer both of their 1st round picks, and quite possibly more, to move up to #2. If the Bills moved up to #2, I don't think they would take Mayfield.

At that point, the Dolphins would have to hope that Denver didn't take Mayfield at 5. The Broncos have spent considerable time with Mayfield during this process, both at the Senior Bowl and elsewhere. Still, it might be hard for Denver to pass on Chubb or Nelson, if available.

You know Indy wouldn't take a QB at 6, but if the Bills haven't traded up yet, here's a spot where Chris Ballard could trade down yet again and continue the stockpiling...and if the Bills did move up to 6, and if Darnold/Rosen/Allen did all happen to be gone, it's possible that Mayfield could go there.

Basically, if Mayfield is considered to be the 4th-best QB, and if the top 3 all go before Denver at #5, and if Buffalo hasn't gotten a QB yet...Miami is probably SOL on Mayfield, assuming that Buffalo likes him more than, say, Lamar Jackson. But if Buffalo gets one of the top 3 QB's, and if Mayfield isn't taken by Denver at 5, and if Indy doesn't trade down, I think you could see Miami try to move up to the 7-10 range to secure Mayfield, knowing that another team could try to leapfrog them at 11 in pursuit of the same thing. And hey, maybe Buffalo does like Lamar Jackson more than Mayfield. You just never know. Which brings up another question: could the Dolphins just go ahead and take Lamar Jackson at 11 if Mayfield is already gone, assuming Miami couldn't trade up for him? I'm guessing that answer is no, based on the type of offense that Gase runs, but it's still fun to think about.

Damn, I love the NFL Draft.

Not connecting the dots but just a hunch, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Saints move up and draft Mayfield as Brees’ replacement.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/09/packers-receiver-arrested-for-making-bomb-joke-at-airport/

Quote:
Packers receiver arrested for making bomb joke at airport

While not quite on the level of shouting “fire!” in a crowded theater, whispering “bomb” in an airport apparently will get a guy arrested.

Packers receiver Trevor Davis learned that lesson the hard way. According to TMZ, Davis was arrested at LAX after making a joke at the luggage counter about having a bomb in his bags.

As the bags being transported by Davis and a female companion were being processed, Davis said to his traveling partner, “Did you remember to pack the explosives?”

The woman said in response, “Yes.”

Davis, a sixth-round pick in 2016, was promptly taken into custody on a misdemeanor count of making criminal threats.

Four years ago this month, former 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith was arrested for making a similar “joke” at LAX. He ultimately wasn’t charged.

Technically, Davis is subject to scrutiny under the NFL’s Personal Conduct Policy, regardless of how the criminal proceeding resolves itself. When he travels to New York for his hearing at the league office, he should probably just take a carry-on.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Another attempt by me to read tea leaves before the draft...

It's pretty obvious that the Bills want to trade up for a QB. I also think, as I've previously posted, that the Dolphins would really love to draft Baker Mayfield. Mayfield quite possibly won't last to #11, however, and the Dolphins have to know that the Bills are in good position to move up in front of them. Some reports have surfaced that the only QB the Giants really love is Darnold. If that's true, and if Darnold goes 1st, perhaps the Giants would feel compelled to trade with the Bills, who could offer both of their 1st round picks, and quite possibly more, to move up to #2. If the Bills moved up to #2, I don't think they would take Mayfield.

At that point, the Dolphins would have to hope that Denver didn't take Mayfield at 5. The Broncos have spent considerable time with Mayfield during this process, both at the Senior Bowl and elsewhere. Still, it might be hard for Denver to pass on Chubb or Nelson, if available.

You know Indy wouldn't take a QB at 6, but if the Bills haven't traded up yet, here's a spot where Chris Ballard could trade down yet again and continue the stockpiling...and if the Bills did move up to 6, and if Darnold/Rosen/Allen did all happen to be gone, it's possible that Mayfield could go there.

Basically, if Mayfield is considered to be the 4th-best QB, and if the top 3 all go before Denver at #5, and if Buffalo hasn't gotten a QB yet...Miami is probably SOL on Mayfield, assuming that Buffalo likes him more than, say, Lamar Jackson. But if Buffalo gets one of the top 3 QB's, and if Mayfield isn't taken by Denver at 5, and if Indy doesn't trade down, I think you could see Miami try to move up to the 7-10 range to secure Mayfield, knowing that another team could try to leapfrog them at 11 in pursuit of the same thing. And hey, maybe Buffalo does like Lamar Jackson more than Mayfield. You just never know. Which brings up another question: could the Dolphins just go ahead and take Lamar Jackson at 11 if Mayfield is already gone, assuming Miami couldn't trade up for him? I'm guessing that answer is no, based on the type of offense that Gase runs, but it's still fun to think about.

Damn, I love the NFL Draft.

Not connecting the dots but just a hunch, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Saints move up and draft Mayfield as Brees’ replacement.

Are they willing to give up next year's 1st rounder (as well as #28 this year), kind of like what the Texans did last year to get Watson? I question whether they have the ammo to be able to do it, and the Texans didn't have to move all the way up from #28 last year.

One thing I definitely agree with is that they probably love Mayfield.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Payton loves Mayfield. It is hard to guess what they will do, the widow has final decision-making power but her two main advisors are Saints guys, for both the Saints and Pelicans. It will be interesting how they approach the draft and the NBA offseason.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Payton loves Mayfield. It is hard to guess what they will do, the widow has final decision-making power but her two main advisors are Saints guys, for both the Saints and Pelicans. It will be interesting how they approach the draft and the NBA offseason.

Perhaps the Mahomes trade last year can serve as a benchmark. KC moved up from #27 to #10, so this would be almost the same thing here. KC gave up #27, a 3rd rounder, and the 2018 1st rounder. So perhaps a team would be willing to accept an offer like that for a pick around #10. But with more QB's potentially going early this year, I think the price could be a little bit higher than that to move into the top 10.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject:

Just as long as they don’t recreate Ditka’s Ricky Williams dream.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject:

PFT is reporting that Lamar Jackson did, indeed, visit the Saints. It's going to be really interesting to see how teams view him. If the reports are true that some teams have him as the #2 QB on their boards, I mean, would it be that shocking to see a team take him (or trade up for him) somewhere around 10th or so? Wouldn't shock me at all.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject:

Saw a report today that the Pats are very interested in Lamar Jackson. If so, I really think this is the Josh McDaniels influence coming out. Remember, he drafted (in fact, overdrafted) Tim Tebow, so he might have a certain affinity for mobile QB's. And Jackson is a considerably better prospect than Tebow was.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:49 am    Post subject:

Mock Draft 3.0, as we're less than a week away. Major changes, as it appears that the Giants favor Barkley at 2, and that teams are OK with Roquan Smith medically. Because I'm a hopeless draft junkie, I'm offering up 2 full rounds here, but I'll do my 2nd Round in the next post. Away we go...

1. Browns Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming
It is now looking like the Browns might prefer Allen, and perhaps John Dorsey is satisfied that his accuracy issues in college can be ironed out in the pros. They'd better hope so, since I think he has the highest bust potential of any of the top 5 quarterbacks.

2. Giants Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn St.
I think this would be a mistake, even though I love Barkley. I just think the value of a top QB for this franchise should outweigh the RB. But it appears that Dave Gettleman is going to try to win right away with a fading Eli, and with this pick, it does set the team up with Beckham (it appears they'll keep him), Barkley, Engram, and Shepard at the skill positions. Last year Gettleman took Christian McCaffrey 8th overall, so there's precedent for him to take a RB very early.

3. Jets Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma
The Jets would be deciding between Mayfield and Sam Darnold here. They probably didn't think that Darnold would be available when they traded up to this pick, but now he is. That said, there's a lot of smoke connecting Mayfield to the Jets, and he could end up winning out.

4. Browns Bradley Chubb, DE, North Carolina St.
I was tempted to slot Chubb here in my last mock even if Barkley was available, and now that he's not, I think it makes sense to grab the best defensive player on the board. He and Myles Garrett could form a wicked pass rushing tandem for the next few years, at least.

5. Bills Sam Darnold, QB, USC
If the draft fell this way in the first 4 picks, Denver is in a good spot. If it loves Darnold or Rosen, they could simply stand pat and choose whichever QB they prefer. If it has a high grade on a player like Quenton Nelson or a CB like Denzel Ward, that could be the pick. But they could also auction this pick off to the highest bidder if they aren't in love with a QB, and you could see a feeding frenzy for QB-needy teams trying to move up. Buffalo has the draft capital to do it, and I think John Elway might accept #12, #22, and #96 from the Bills. The Bills go with Darnold over Rosen.

6. Colts Quenton Nelson, OL, Notre Dame
Tough to try to figure out what the Colts would do here, with both Barkley and Chubb off the board. The BPA's under consideration could be Nelson, Ward, Smith, or perhaps Derwin James. And with Josh Rosen the last of the "Big 4" QB's still left, perhaps Indy could entertain another trade down. I'll project that they stand pat and take Nelson, as perhaps the best guard prospect to come into the NFL in a couple of decades.

7. Dolphins Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA
Trade! The Dolphins decide to move up to 7, sacrificing #11, #73 overall (their 3rd rounder), and a 2nd round pick in 2019. My thinking here is that Tampa Bay would be choosing between Derwin James or Minkah Fitzpatrick at safety, or Denzel Ward at CB, and the thinking that they can still get one of those players at 11 compels them to take this deal. Miami knows that a team could try to move up for Rosen at any time, and though I think Adam Gase loves Mayfield, I've also heard that he is not afraid of working with the cerebral Rosen. Gase got a lot out of Jay Cutler when he was on the Bears (not last year, as we know), and Rosen has as much arm talent as Cutler did, but with better mechanics.

8. Bears Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech
Though any potential worry on Roquan Smith's medical history might have dissipated, Edmunds is the safer choice to be the top linebacker this year, and he's a great fit for Vic Fangio's defense. I'll keep this as the Bears selection.

9. 49ers Derwin James, S, Florida St.
James has turned down the opportunity to privately work out for teams late in this process, and some think that could hurt his stock. But the dude's tape is awesome, and I think that John Lynch could see him as the BPA. The 49ers still have a lot of holes, so they should take the BPA, and I think it's James.

10. Raiders Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
Who's the BPA here? Is it Ward, the top CB? Is it Vita Vea or Da'Ron Payne at DT? Is it Fitzpatrick at safety? You could argue for any of these players, or maybe even tackle Mike McGlinchey, but I will slot the Raiders Roquan Smith instead. Jon Gruden could see him as his new Derrick Brooks, and, as I mentioned, I think Smith will go higher than I last projected him.

11. Buccaneers Minkah Fitzpatrick, S, Alabama
This has worked out very well for the Bucs. The could have logically been choosing between James and Fitzpatrick at #7, and they end up with Fitzpatrick here at #11. They'll also pick up two extra picks from Miami, one of those a 3rd rounder this year.

12. Broncos Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio St.
The Broncos make out quite well here in their trade down with the Bills. They get a replacement for Aqib Talib for their CB corps, he's the best CB in this draft, and they'll get to pick again in 10 spots, not to mention they nabbed #96 overall as well. Not bad.

13. Ravens Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville
Trade alert again! In this spot, I feel like the Redskins could be deciding between Payne and Vea. But I have a gut feeling that Ozzie Newsome wants to end up with Lamar Jackson. In my last mock, I had the Ravens moving up to #14, but with Fitzpatrick off the board for Washington now, they could feel like one of Payne or Vea would be there at 16, because Green Bay is so likely to take a CB, and Arizona is no lock to take either of those DT's. So it would make sense for Washington to move back to 16. As for why the Ravens would want to move up here, they could get antsy that someone else could steal Jackson away from them. So the Redskins get not only #16, but #83 overall (a 3rd rounder) and a 3rd round pick in 2019.

14. Packers Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville
So Green Bay loses out on the proposed Ravens deal that I had in my last mock, and that I just had going down through the Redskins. No matter; they still take their highest-rated CB left, and I think that could be Alexander. There's no guarantee that GB will see Alexander as the 2nd-best CB in this class, as he did have some injury issues at Louisville, but he had a great Combine and draft process.

15. Cardinals Mike McGlinchey, OL, Notre Dame
The Ravens' move up for Jackson thwarts the Cards, who very well may have wanted Jackson. So they turn the page and address their offensive line, which has been in shambles over the past couple of seasons. Draft guru Gil Brandt thinks that McGlinchey has a shot to go in the top 10, so perhaps I'm underselling him.

16. Redskins Da'Ron Payne, DT, Alabama
Sure enough, the Redskins have their choice of Payne or Vea here, while picking up draft capital from the Ravens. Last year it was an Alabama DT in Jonathan Allen, so this year we could see the team go right back to that well.

17. Chargers Vita Vea, DT, Washington
I had Vea slotted 10th to the Raiders in my previous mocks, and I would have to think that the Chargers would be very happy with either Vea or Payne in this spot. Vea has drawn Haloti Ngata comparisons and could be a big anchor in the middle of the defensive line, one that has been missing. If the Redskins opted for Vea at 16, you'd have to think that the Chargers would simply choose Payne.

18. Steelers Leighton Vander Esch, LB, Boise St.
Guess what, it's a trade, and a trade up for a non-QB at that! Seattle isn't scheduled to pick again until #120 overall, and they have a lot of holes to address. It seems quite likely that they will trade down. As for Pittsburgh, we all know that they need to replace Ryan Shazier. And while they could hope that someone like Rashaan Evans is still there at 28, there is no guarantee of that, and Vander Esch is a better prospect. So they surrender #28 and #60 to get their man.

19. Cowboys Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama
As I predicted in my last update, Dallas and Dez Bryant were headed for a divorce. Allen Hurns will not and should not be their #1 WR, so they still need to get a true #1 that can create separation at the line of scrimmage. I had Courtland Sutton here in my last update, but in thinking about it further, Ridley's game is to win with crisp route-running and to get separation right away, and this is precisely what Dallas needs.

20. Lions Marcus Davenport, DE, UT-San Antonio
This is a tough call for me, as the Lions could potentially address CB (of course they have Slay, but Teez Tabor struggled as a rookie last season), TE (no more Eric Ebron), or even RB (although they signed Blount to help out on early downs). But Marcus Davenport is still on the board, and the Lions also need a pass rusher to complement Ziggy Ansah. So the small-school product comes off the board here.

21. Bengals James Daniels, OL, Iowa
Yes, Cincy traded for Cordy Glenn, but as pathetic as their offensive line was last season, more reinforcements are needed. Daniels is the best center prospect in this class, and seems likely to go in the 1st Round.

22. Broncos Harold Landry, DE/LB, Boston College
Denver has already nabbed--perhaps stolen--Ward at 12, and now they turn to their front seven. Landry is in a race with Davenport to see which player will be the 2nd pass rusher that's chosen, and I could see Elway wanting to get Von Miller some help at getting to the QB.

23. Patriots Joshua Jackson, CB, Iowa
With Landry gone in this mock, New England switches gears and nabs a guy that could be the 2nd-best CB in the draft, and likely a safer pick than Jaire Alexander. Lots of holes to fill for the Pats (they could address QB, CB, D-line, LB, or O-line with their first 4 picks), and they address one with this selection.

24. Panthers Will Hernandez, OL, UTEP
I'm changing my pick to the mauling guard here, as Hernandez fills a tremendous need in the wake of Andrew Norwell's departure in free agency. I love Hernandez's nasty style, and feel like this could be a wise fit. Since I don't love any of the WR's in this class that much, Carolina could still add one later.

25. Titans Sam Hubbard, DE, Ohio St.
Hubbard had an inconsistent career in college, but he has a ton of upside, and guess who was on the Buckeyes' coaching staff when Hubbard was being recruited? That's right, none other than new Titans head coach Mike Vrabel. With Brian Orakpo aging, this seems like a good connect-the-dots pick meeting up with a team need.

26. Falcons Taven Bryan, DL, Florida
It seems like Atlanta is going to be taking a defensive tackle here, as it's a deep hole on the roster. If they are satisfied with Maurice Hurst's medicals (he was sent home from the Combine), he could still be in play here, but I'll go with Bryan as the choice. I've heard him draw some JJ Watt comparisons, believe it or not.

27. Saints Maurice Hurst, DL, Michigan
I had TE Hayden Hurst slotted here in my last mock, but I'm switching to the other Hurst now. Maurice was sent home from the Combine due to a potential heart condition, but has since been cleared. Quite simply, he's a 1st Round talent, and if he's cleared, that should be good enough for the Saints. Hurst would add depth to their defensive line.

28. Seahawks Justin Reid, S, Stanford
After trading down, I could see Seattle taking a safety here, since both Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor are in the final years of their deals, and since there are heavy trade rumors on Earl Thomas. Seattle will hope that Reid has the type of success that a certain former Stanford CB had for their team.

29. Jaguars Isaiah Wynn, OL, Georgia
In my last mock, I slotted Hernandez here, but he's now off the board. And though the Jags signed Norwell in free agency, the weak link of their O-line is probably at right guard. Wynn could threaten to start as a rookie, and if Tom Coughlin doesn't see the value in taking Sutton or Moore at WR or Rashaan Evans at LB, I see the logic of taking Wynn. The Jags clearly have a philosophy of trying to win with the running game and defense, and strengthening the offensive line is probably still a priority.

30. Vikings Billy Price, OL, Ohio St.
Hernandez would have been a perfect fit here, but with him off the board, and with the Vikings having a need for a starting guard on the offensive line, they pull the trigger on the former Buckeye. Price would've been an almost-certain first rounder if not for a torn pec suffered at the Combine, and it's not like this should be a serious long-term injury. Even if Price missed OTA's and even if he wasn't quite ready by Week 1, this is a pick that should pay off for the Vikes.

31. Patriots Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma St.
Yes, the Pats still need to take a left tackle at some point, but I don't think they will be able to pass up the shot at taking a QB they like here. There is no guarantee that Rudolph would be there when the Pats pick again at #43, so I think they go with an offensive tackle at 43 instead of here. You could make an argument for Evans at LB, too, but the value of a QB they like would probably take precedent. It's just a matter of whether or not the Pats like Rudolph enough.

32. Buccaneers Derrius Guice, RB, LSU
Another Tampa Bay trade! With the Eagles having a roster full of depth, and since the Eagles aren't scheduled to pick again until #137, they should be trying to move down. I think they would welcome the chance to pull off their best Patriots impersonation, trading back just 6 spots to #38 and picking up the Miami 3rd round pick that Tampa had acquired in the previous trade with the 'Fins. The Bucs really need a dynamic running back to add balance to the offense, and I believe that not only do they really like Guice, but that he is, in fact, the 2nd-best RB in this class. Coach Dirk Koetter and GM Jason Licht realize that their jobs are on the line, and Guice will provide the type of win-now juice that both men probably need if they want to remain employed.

Last edited by ChickenStu on Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Payton loves Mayfield.

Mayfield's playing style reminds me a bit of Brees.

I think he would be a great fit in New Orleans, problem is Brees will probably still play for several more seasons.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/13/calais-campbell-reflects-on-living-through-homelessness-as-a-child/

Quote:
Calais Campbell reflects on living through homelessness as a child

Jaguars defensive end Calais Campbell has made more than $70 million in his NFL career, and this week he reflected on just how far he has come.

On National Siblings Day, one of those made-for-social-media “holidays” that give people excuses to post pictures of their brothers and sisters, Campbell posted a moving portrait of himself with three of his brothers, in the homeless shelter where they lived, along with their other four siblings and their mom and dad, for six months of his childhood.

“This is a throwback to when we lived in a family homeless shelter,” Campbell wrote. “Eight of us in one room with a bunch of bunk beds . . . never needed money to have a good time! As long as we had each other we had enough!”

Campbell appeared on NFL Network and talked about why he’s open about his past.

“It’s a part of my life, my history, and it really is part of the motivation to help me get to where I am today,” Campbell said. “My family was very tight but we experienced a lot of hardships, living in a homeless shelter, being evicted, going around from house to house. Times were hard at times but we always stuck together and stayed strong.”

Campbell added that he wants children living in homeless shelters today to know, “put your head down and work hard, and good things can happen.”
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Last year the Seahawks used their first pick in the draft, No. 35 overall, on defensive tackle Malik McDowell. Now they’re likely to release him, before he has played a snap in the NFL.

McDowell missed his entire rookie season because of injuries suffered in an ATV accident, and Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports that the Seahawks are likely to cut McDowell soon.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/16/seahawks-top-pick-malik-mcdowell-likely-to-be-cut-without-playing-a-snap/

Sad story. Has a lot of talent.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Freddie Buckets wrote:
Quote:
Last year the Seahawks used their first pick in the draft, No. 35 overall, on defensive tackle Malik McDowell. Now they’re likely to release him, before he has played a snap in the NFL.

McDowell missed his entire rookie season because of injuries suffered in an ATV accident, and Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports that the Seahawks are likely to cut McDowell soon.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/16/seahawks-top-pick-malik-mcdowell-likely-to-be-cut-without-playing-a-snap/

Sad story. Has a lot of talent.

Man, the Seahawks have pretty much whiffed on their first pick of the draft in something like 5 or 6 straight years. Here are their most recent first selections in the draft, with the overall pick number in parentheses and the year noted:

'17 Malik McDowell (#35)
'16 Germain Ifedi (#31)
'15 Frank Clark (#63)
'14 Paul Richardson (#45)
'13 Christian Michael (#62)
'12 Bruce Irvin (#15)
'11 James Carpenter (#25)

At least partially explains their downfall, doesn't it?
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/18/today-is-20th-anniversary-of-manning-leaf-draft/#comments

Quote:
Today is 20th anniversary of Manning-Leaf draft

Twenty years ago today, the Colts chose Peyton Manning with the No. 1 overall pick. In hindsight, the choice of Manning over Ryan Leaf seems incredibly easy.

Manning is headed to the Pro Football Hall of Fame after a record-setting career, and Leaf long ago entered the “biggest-busts-in-history” conversation after starting only 21 career games and going 4-17.

But the choice was harder than it now seems, said Bill Polian, the Colts General Manager in 1998.

“There are a lot of people now who have amnesia,” Polian said, via Clark Judge of the Talk of Fame Network. “It was a much tougher choice than people now believe.”

Polian said his own scouts were split, with half rating Leaf a better prospect.

“Those that liked Manning were not terribly anti-Leaf,” Polian said. “Those who liked Leaf, for some reason, were vociferously anti-Manning.”

The Colts obviously made the right choice, leaving the Chargers to select Leaf. Then-Chargers General Manager Bobby Beathard will enter the Hall of Fame in August, ahead of Manning, but behind Polian.

Selectors didn’t hold Leaf against Beathard, perhaps remembering 1.) It’s not like he chose Leaf over Manning. Manning was off the board; and 2.) Many scouts liked Leaf more than Manning, whether they admit it today or not.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2771241-report-patriots-have-expressed-interest-in-josh-rosen-ahead-of-2018-nfl-draft
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/19/dwight-freeney-calls-it-a-career/

Quote:
Dwight Freeney calls it a career

Dwight Freeney will be returning to his first NFL team to announce the end of his playing career.

The Colts announced on Thursday that Freeney will formally announce his retirement as a member of the Colts at a press conference next Monday.

Freeney was the 11th overall pick of the 2002 draft and played with the Colts for the next 11 seasons. He ended his time in Indianapolis with 107.5 sacks, three first team All-Pro selections and a Super Bowl ring earned as a member of the team that beat the Bears in Super Bowl XLI.

Freeney went on to play two seasons with the Chargers, a year each with the Cardinals and Falcons and wrapped up his career with the Seahawks and Lions last year. He closes his career with 125.5 career sacks, which leaves him in a tie for 17th all-time with Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/19/jaguars-to-open-the-nfls-first-dog-park/#comments

Quote:
Jaguars to open the NFL’s first dog park

Cats and dogs living together! Mass hysteria!

The Jaguars have announced a historic first, as they’re opening the NFL’s first in-stadium dog park this fall at EverBank Field.

And it’s not just a place for their 2008 through 2016 teams to congregate, but a new amenity as they try to punch up their fan experience. At a time when teams are worried about people staying home and watching it on TV, allowing some of them to bring man’s best friend along can’t hurt.

Of course, things could get ugly if the Browns show up and start throwing dog bones around, but for a team that was recently known for a stadium full of tarps, trying to do something unique’s a great idea.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:44 am    Post subject:

I clearly messed up quoting my Mock Draft 2.0, which is now omitted from the record LOL. I also hope that I didn't duplicate any picks. Anyway, here's Round 2 of my Mock Draft 3.0...

33. Browns Kolton Miller, OL, UCLA
We know the Giants would not take a RB at 34. But they could be in play for a tackle for their offensive line, and Miller is still available. Athletically, he has the most upside of any offensive lineman that's left, and I think the Browns would prioritize Miller here over a RB. And they could still get the RB they want at 35 anyway, barring a trade up to 34 by a RB-needy team.

34. Giants Austin Corbett, OL, Nevada
Here's a total no-nonsense hog mollie for Gettleman. They took Barkley at #2 overall, and their offensive line is in shambles. It would really behoove them, then, to spend early resources on that O-line. Corbett is a big mauler who should open lanes in the run game, likely as a guard in the NFL.

35. Browns Sony Michel, RB, Georgia
Michel could be this year's Alvin Kamara-lite, as a dynamic rusher and receiver out of the backfield. As a rookie, he could share carries with Carlos Hyde, and also get some passing-game work, though Duke Johnson should handle most passing downs. Of course, Hyde has a long injury history, so it's not out of the question that Michel could have a lot on his plate this season. That is, if his fumbling issues don't resurface.

36. Colts Mike Hughes, CB, Central Florida
With Indy having back-to-back picks here, it seems like a CB must be one of them. I'll slot them Hughes first, as potential help for the secondary.

37. Colts Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama
Here's more help for the defense. Even though I considered a RB, I feel like the need to beef up the defense with a guy who could go in the 1st Round was more important. They can still look at RB's later in this round, since they have another pick.

38. Eagles Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU
This pick is from the trade with the Bucs. This is a luxury selection, but Alshon Jeffery has had trouble staying healthy, Mike Wallace is a stopgap, Nelson Agholor is a slot WR, and Mack Hollins is not proven (though they like him).

39. Bears Frank Ragnow, OL, Arkansas
Another interior blocker with a mean streak, Ragnow can play center or guard. He'll likely play guard in the Windy City, where the team has holes.

40. Broncos DJ Moore, WR, Maryland
While Denver could also stand to add to its offensive line, the fact remains that both Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders are over 30, and Thomas, in particular, seems like he could be nearing the end of his time as a Bronco. An infusion of talent and youth is needed, and there's where Moore comes in.

41. Raiders Carlton Davis, CB, Auburn
Another improvement to the defense is added here in Davis. Davis has good size and athleticism at the position, and the team could stand to add to its secondary depth.

42. Dolphins Hayden Hurst, TE, South Carolina
The Dolphins have a massive hole at TE, so the fact that the 'Fins could have their pick of the litter at this point would likely compel them to target one. Though he's older, I'll slot them Hayden Hurst, and perhaps his age will allow him to be more ready to play right away. They'll need him to.

43. Patriots Orlando Brown, OL, Oklahoma
I feel like this has to be an offensive tackle, and this pick could come down to Brian O'Neill, Connor Williams, or Orlando Brown. Brown is a gigantic physical specimen, just like his late father, an 11-year NFL vet. Because of his elite size, Brown has excelled in pass protection (it's hard to get around him), while struggling a bit in run blocking. As much as New England throws the ball, however, I think this is a good fit, and if anyone can coach up Brown on his run blocking, it's probably Dante Scarnecchia.

44. Redskins Ronald Jones, RB, USC
The only member of the Washington RB crew that is worth a darn is Chris Thompson, and he's almost a strict pass-catching back who struggles to stay healthy. Rob Kelly and Samaje Perine are definitely not the answer for carrying the early down load, either. Enter Jones, who offers the type of explosive playmaking and nose for the end zone that should appeal to Jay Gruden.

45. Packers Ronnie Harrison, S, Alabama
Speaking of the next guy, it's another Alabama player; hey, they churn them out. Green Bay doesn't stop adding to its secondary after taking Alexander in the 1st Round, and now they add a safety to replace Morgan Burnett. And with Clinton-Dix employed as the other starter at safety, the Pack will be going with a 'Bama safety duo. Roll Tide.

46. Bengals Jessie Bates, S, Wake Forest
The back end of the Cincy defense has not been the same since Reggie Nelson left, so an early pick on a safety makes sense here. There's also a drop-off at safety after Bates, adding value to the choice.

47. Cardinals Isaiah Oliver, CB, Colorado
The Cards never showed enough urgency to find a viable starting CB opposite Patrick Peterson while Bruce Arians was coach. Perhaps the new coach, the defensive-minded Steve Wilks, can get in Steve Keim's ear. Maybe a high pick on a CB will finally end the annual revolving door on the other side of the field.

48. Chargers Lorenzo Carter, LB, Georgia
Carter was one of the most sought-after recruits in the nation coming out of high school. He looked like a bust for a while, but the light flipped on during his senior season, showing the type of speed, range, and pass rush ability that had people so high on him in the first place. He absolutely killed it at the Combine, too. The Chargers haven't been able to count on Denzel Perryman, and this would give the defense another shot in the arm.

49. Colts Donte Jackson, CB, LSU
The Colts double up on CB's in this round, since it's such a glaring need on the roster. Jackson is smaller in size, but has tremendous quickness and ball skills. He should see heavy snaps at slot corner right away.

50. Cowboys Harrison Phillips, DL, Stanford
The Cowboys need help in the middle of their D-line, and Phillips will add a competitiveness and toughness that is necessary. I thought about a successor to Jason Witten here too.

51. Lions Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn St.
Eric Ebron never lived up to his draft status, and now he's departed in free agency. The current starter for the Lions is Luke Willson. This has to change, so the Lions could take another early-round stab at an upgrade.

52. Ravens Brian O'Neill, OL, Pittsburgh
Baltimore is set at left tackle with Ronnie Stanley, but they could beef up their right tackle situation. O'Neill is 6'7 and a good athlete for such a big man, running a 4.82 40 at the Combine.

53. Bills DJ Chark, WR, LSU
The Bills pick again at 56, and that pick almost has to go on an offensive lineman. But with Zay Jones' rookie season a complete disaster both on and off the field, I could see Buffalo wanting to get Sam Darnold another viable WR to go along with Kelvin Benjamin.

54. Chiefs Da'Shawn Hand, DE, Alabama
The Chiefs need to replenish their defensive line, as the likes of Tamba Hali and Dontari Poe have departed. Hand is a big body and good athlete who should help.

55. Panthers Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota St.
Greg Olsen is aging a bit and coming off a bad foot injury last season. Here's his successor.

56. Bills Braden Smith, OL, Auburn
Smith is a guard who has drawn comparisons to Kevin Zeitler. Yeah, that would work, and Buffalo currently has a sieve of an O-line in the wake of the Cordy Glenn trade and Richie Incognito retirement. Multiple picks will have to be used in this draft to address that void, and this is a start.

57. Titans Darius Leonard, LB, South Carolina St.
Linebacker has become a bit of a need for the Titans after losing Avery Williamson in free agency, and the small-school product is well-known amongst scouts and draftniks.

58. Falcons Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M
Though Mohamed Sanu is dependable, the Falcons are getting quite thin at WR behind he and Julio Jones, and Taylor Gabriel departed in free agency. Julio is prone to picking up various little injuries quite often, too. It's time that some youth and speed were added, and Kirk would be a strong choice.

59. 49ers Connor Williams, OL, Texas
Williams could go much earlier than this, but has slipped some in this mock. He could challenge for playing time as a rookie at either right tackle or a guard spot.

60. Seahawks Rasheem Green, DE, USC
Pardon the pun here, but Green is, well, green. But despite the fact that he's a raw prospect, he's also a very young prospect, as he doesn't turn 21 until May. Green is 6'5, 275 lbs, and ran a 4.73 40 at the Combine. Scouts think he will gain even more strength, and with Seattle probably undertaking a rebuild, they can afford to wait on his potential.

61. Jaguars Anthony Averett, CB, Alabama
Though the Jags have the outstanding tandem of Jalen Ramsey and AJ Bouye on the outside, it's notable that the team did lose slot CB Aaron Colvin in free agency. They did sign DJ Hayden, but they shouldn't be counting on him to be productive and healthy. Averett is a plus athlete who ran a blazing 40 at the Combine, and has experience being tested often, since he usually played as 'Bama's #2 CB behind the likes of Marlon Humphrey. Besides the Alabama connection, Averett also happens to be the nephew of former Pro Bowl left tackle Bryant McKinnie in the NFL, and I'm guessing the pedigree can't hurt.

62. Vikings Rashaad Penny, RB, San Diego St.
Penny's stock has been steadily climbing, and he seems very likely to go in the 2nd Round. Yes, potentially ahead of the likes of Nick Chubb and Kerryon Johnson. In this case, the Vikings have Dalvin Cook coming back from a torn ACL, and Latavius Murray in a year-to-year situation. At the absolute least, Penny would represent luxury Cook insurance for the all-in Vikings, and he could form a pretty strong tandem with the FSU product in '19.

63. Patriots Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia
I just don't see great value among the CB's/Offensive linemen/Front Seven types that are left, and though it's a crowded RB room, do you have faith in Jeremy Hill to share early-down carries? Yeah, me neither. Chubb could fill a LeGarrette Blount-like role for the Pats in time, perhaps sooner than we think.

64. Browns Tim Settle, DT, Virginia Tech
Already the 5th pick of this draft for the Browns, I could see them trying to beef up the middle of their D-line, and they did trade Danny Shelton to the Patriots.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/20/report-chuck-pagano-will-serve-as-nfl-consultant/

Quote:
Report: Chuck Pagano will serve as NFL consultant

Chuck Pagano will return to the NFL this season, but he won’t be on the sideline.

Pagano will take the fall off from coaching, instead working for the league as a consultant during the 2018 season, Troy Renck of Denver7 reports.

Pagano’s father, Sam, was inducted into the Colorado Sports Hall of Fame earlier this week. Peyton Manning also earned induction in the Class of 2018.

The Colts fired Chuck Pagano as head coach after six seasons. Thirteen other Colts’ coaches found jobs in the NFL or a collegiate program, according to Andrew Walker of the team website.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject:

More draft tidbits:

--Even though the "chatter" seems to suggest that the Browns are going to take Allen 1st, Sam Darnold has moved from -200 to -220 in the last 2 weeks, as far as odds of being the 1st overall pick in Vegas. Something isn't adding up, and perhaps the Browns will do the right thing and pick the far safer QB in Darnold, after all.

--Scouts love offensive lineman Frank Ragnow, and even though he missed the Senior Bowl, he's risen back up to the point where he could go in the 1st Round now. If not the 1st, certainly the upper part of the 2nd.

--As far as linebackers with medical concerns, it seems like Roquan Smith and Leighton Vander Esch are headed in opposite directions. It seems like teams are OK with Smith, while many are concerned about Vander Esch in that respect. So you should see Smith end up in the Top 10, while Vander Esch might fall towards the last 10 picks of the 1st Round, if not more.

--Denver is open to trading back from #5, and to me that means that if a QB they are in love with isn't there, they'll move back.

--Indy is also open to moving back (again) from #6 if a prospect they love isn't there. That could mean if Chubb and Barkley aren't there, or perhaps Quenton Nelson.

--Stock Up: Taven Bryan, Joshua Jackson, Harold Landry, Marcus Davenport, Roquan Smith, Ragnow, Will Hernandez, Lorenzo Carter

--Stock Down: Vander Esch, Sam Hubbard, Maurice Hurst
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/23/bucs-incorporate-a-parrot-into-their-third-day-draft-picking/#comments

Quote:
Bucs incorporate a parrot into their third-day draft picking

The Buccaneers will see the Colts’ ape, and raise them a bird.

Via Greg Auman of the Tampa Bay Times, the NFL has announced that the Buccaneers’ third-day draft picks will be communicated to an announcer via a parrot. Yes, a parrot.

At least there’s a connection between the animal prop and the team nickname, since Buccaneers are pirates and pirates walk around (for some reason) with parrots perched on their shoulders. (Which would explain why actually pirates often smell like bird sh-t.)

Last year, NFL Network’s Mike Mayock wanted the orangutan to get off his lawn, and the display danced on the line of disrespect to the folks at the Indianapolis Zoo who presumably were invited to participate by someone with the NFL who thought it would spice up a phase of the draft that typically entails far less organic intrigue and excitement than the early rounds.

This year, get ready for Mayock to bristle when the bird says, “Polly want an Akrum Wadley.”
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Dez Bryant is apparently willing to wait, and he’s willing to turn down a bird in the hand.

According to Dallas-based former ESPN reporter Ed Werder, the former Cowboys wide receiver turned down a multi-year offer from the Ravens.

Bryant apparently prefers to bet on himself with a one-year deal, giving himself a chance at the free agent market the Cowboys prevented him from enjoying this year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/25/report-dez-bryant-turned-down-ravens-multi-year-offer/
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 104, 105, 106  Next
Page 10 of 106
Jump to: