OFFICIAL Season in Review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you rate the season?
Extremely pleased (A)
11%
 11%  [ 13 ]
Pleased (B)
65%
 65%  [ 77 ]
Not happy, but not displeased (C)
21%
 21%  [ 25 ]
Displeased (D)
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Bring back Jim Buss; this team was a failure (F)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 117

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
Developmentally they are under 20 years of age which means they are still growing and prone to injury when pitted against stronger players. 50 games in season 1 is a good start for their development. 70 games in season 2 is the next step. Then by the time they are 22 not only do they have over 120ish games of experience but their body is now intelligently conditioned and they've learned better how to care for it.

That's an interesting concept that I haven't thought about before.

76ers sat out Embiid for years.
Simmons sat out a year.
Fultz basically this year.

Interesting.

Yeah, I'm starting to think that sitting down a rookie and just having him practice and get him into NBA shape may be the better move. This is a big reason why upperclassmen tend to have more immediate impact if the issue isn't skill based.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
Developmentally they are under 20 years of age which means they are still growing and prone to injury when pitted against stronger players. 50 games in season 1 is a good start for their development. 70 games in season 2 is the next step. Then by the time they are 22 not only do they have over 120ish games of experience but their body is now intelligently conditioned and they've learned better how to care for it.

Simmons sat out a year.

Interesting.

In college every freshman used to be a red shirt so they could adjust to the new level of competition and focus on school first and foremost. Most of the players were 4 year guys before they came to the NBA. They knew the game and their bodies were developed which was intelligent. We went away from that for the $ so teams are going to need to become more protective.

I dont know how old Donovan Mitchell is but I do think both he and Kuz played too many minutes this year even though they are both developed.

If I ran a team there would be no back to backs for my guys under 20 and for any guys averaging 28+ minutes under 21 or 22...especially if the playoffs are possible in that season.

The goal would be for my players to average 72 games a RS.

#BannersOverBillboards
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Why don't we just stop talking about him and let's move on?

Dude

Instead of that let's move on? What's so difficult about that?

I moved on a long time ago and it wasn’t difficult at all.

So why are we having this discussion?

Because you clearly can’t move on

I suggest you do so while it is unassisted

I’m answering questions he asked me.

No you’re not, and for the record, I’m not asking a question either.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject:

Fwiw, I voted pleased.
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject:

I'm pleased. Before the season started, I just wanted to see how big of a jump BI would make. He impressed me a lot.

The emergence of Randle as a borderline all-star and the excellent play of Hart and Kuzma is just icing.

Lonzo's defense is also much better than I anticipated but his shooting, especially free throws, is much worse, but these can be fixed.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Just a reminder that all the self destructive family squabbling was sourced by Jeanie. It will be interesting to see in July if it is all gone now that she has taken vengeance on her father’s wishes.

If that meant getting rid of Jim then good for her. He was terrible in my opinion. I think we are in good hands going forward.

Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Just a reminder that all the self destructive family squabbling was sourced by Jeanie. It will be interesting to see in July if it is all gone now that she has taken vengeance on her father’s wishes.

Nobody forced your boy to put a stupid self-imposed deadline on becoming a contender.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Nobody forced your boy to put a stupid self-imposed deadline on becoming a contender.

I suppose that’s true (although the most logical idea is that she both wanted and enforced one, not to mention enforcing it early)although it wouldn’t have changed anything. She wanted him out since before he took over.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

If that meant getting rid of Jim then good for her. He was terrible in my opinion. I think we are in good hands going forward.

We seem to be doing very well now. Hard to compare because the owner isn’t sabotaging her current leadership. But at the end of the day, the most important things are unity of purpose and ability, so regardless of how and why, the path forward is much better.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject:

I am very please with where the franchise is right now.

As for the season I am pleased as we showed great improvement, played exciting offense and defense and our young core developed.

Randle players at an all star level for 2 1/2 months and there is every reason to expect him to continue to improve his already really good all round game.

BI: Showed great improvement in all areas of his game. Had some availability issues and started the season slow. I expect him to take another good leap. Like Randle great attitude and a hard worker.

Kuzma: Loved that the FO drafted this guy and he is a steal. Hats off. He worked his way through a slump but is a legitimate scorer with a lot of offensive creativity. Another hard worker so I expect a lot more out of him next year.

Hart: He came in with an NBA ready body and played good defense, was a heck of a rebounder and his offense was really good once he got his footing. Was really coming on when he broke his hand and came back and finished the last few games really strong. Expect bit things from him next year.

Ball: I think he handled the pressure great and he had a lot of pressure. Played great defense, a great rebounder and great passer. I think we will see him get stronger and become a better scorer. Shooting is mostly a between the ears thing right now and I think he gets that fixed. I will be interested to see how he balances all the demands and if he puts in the work that will lead him to greatness.

So we have 5 young guys and I think Randle, Kuzma and BI are going to be near all stars next year and at least playoff caliber starters. Ball I think is unique and will be better and a playoff caliber starter. Hart I feel is at a similar level but don’t see him as a potential all star caliber type player.

Right now I think Randle has arrived or is darn close and BI and Kuzma are not that far way and with a big offseason have a chance to arrive next year. Ball offensive scoring will probably still need work so I think it will take him 2 more years to arrive but he will be a lot better next year.

I love all the cap room we have but it makes it hard to foresee what the team will look like next year. Resigning Randle and adding 1 star makes this a good team, a playoff team next year.

I wish we had played Zubac and Bryant more and developed them during he 2nd half of the year. Not sure about the center position next year.

I think we we are setup for success but you never know what other players are going to do in free agency. Even with that I think we have a bunch of young assets and draft picks and cap room that their will be 1 years deals or trades where we can acquire an impact player.

My biggest disappointment is that the season is over and we did not make the playoffs. All the players are going to take a couple of week off too before hitting the gym so there won’t be any reliable news for a month or so.

I love the team of Magic, Rob and Luke and that they are locked in with Jeanie Buss. I think they have melded together to form a great team and it is a very strong competitive advantage that I am just starting to understand. I am very pleased with them.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Simmons sat out a year.

Interesting.

Yeah, I'm starting to think that sitting down a rookie and just having him practice and get him into NBA shape may be the better move. This is a big reason why upperclassmen tend to have more immediate impact if the issue isn't skill based.

I agree Mike, if your team isn’t contending, practice until February and then get some game minutes.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

And nobody forced Jeanie to sabotage our FA opportunities every offseason. But she did.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject:

Somewhat pleased. We made good progress from last year and climbed out of the cellar of all cellars. But i think we could've done even better if not for the injuries - and maybe snuck into the playoffs - that would've been great.

Happy with the direction of the team and the decision making of the new FO like many others have said here. But those last few years were really bad and embarrassing. I don't think we can get rid of the stench of those seasons until we start making our regular trips to the playoffs again. Acquiring a star or two in the offseason will help alot as well.

The Lakers are starting to look like a decent NBA team again.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

And nobody forced Jeanie to sabotage our FA opportunities every offseason. But she did.

Something tells me she's going to stay out of the way and let Rob and Magic do their thing in the offseason.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Bring back Jim Buss; this team was a failure
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: