Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
22 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Get a Mustang!

Get a '2009 Porsche.

Can’t argue with that haha
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Fallout wrote:
I'm looking for one too, and have my eye on the new Subaru

https://www.subaru.com/ascent

It has the best AWD among the SUV's you listed which is nice for safety and control. Esp if wet or icy road. But it wont be out till June or July.

The honda pilot is another 7 seater.

I'm eyeing that one as well. I love our Outback.

I rented a Subaru Legacy a while back for a road trip while my truck was in the shop. Absolutely loved the way it handled and zoomed thru traffic. Will consider Subaru in a few years when im in the market.

I've had many friends for decades who were Subaru fanatics and I have driven several myself over the years, but it wasn't until my wife bought her Outback 3.6R Touring that I totally get the Subaru devotion.

For it's purpose, that's the best one.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject:

Mike, you may have commented on this in another thread, but, I'm pretty much thinking about buying the Hyundai Kona Electric the moment it hits the lot. Not a 7-seater, but it is a compact SUV electric with 250 miles of range.

Any experience with it? A little concerned about it being first gen but I'm just so into EVs now. Haha.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 7 seater SUV for around 35K

Mike@LG wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
Going car shopping this weekend, looking for a used SUV for no more than around 35Kish
most important factors for us:
-reliability (Id like to drive a car to atleast 130K miles without it giving any issues)
-functionality of space (want nothing larger than a midsize SUV but a big bonus if theres still decent leg room and cargo space with all rows up.
-exterior looks (wife has to like it)

Currently our contenders (all the latest generation version):
Mazda CX-9
Toyota Highlander
Chevy Traverse

Any opinions/suggestions?

I've driven/inspected all of them multiple times.

Get the Highlander. As much as I love Mazda products, I don't trust EPA readings on turbo vehicles.

Depending on ownership/maintenance the Highlander handle 200k easily.

Also, I don't know if you have a Costco membership card, but if you do, get the Toyota through Costco. My uncle had a recent experience with this and basically got a $3k discount off the bat without haggling. May I add, get the V6 too.

LE Plus should be under the budget. Entune, Nav, softex leather. V6.

is there any other issues with CX-9 as far as reliability? I cant find anything concrete besides complaints about bugs with the infotainment system which is not a big deal to me. If it was up to me I would have bought a highlander yesterday for its unquestionable reliability but my wife really likes the looks of the CX-9 much more.
kenkoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: 7 seater SUV for around 35K

audioaxes wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
Going car shopping this weekend, looking for a used SUV for no more than around 35Kish
-reliability (Id like to drive a car to atleast 130K miles without it giving any issues)
-functionality of space (want nothing larger than a midsize SUV but a big bonus if theres still decent leg room and cargo space with all rows up.

Mazda CX-9
Toyota Highlander
Chevy Traverse

Get the Highlander. As much as I love Mazda products, I don't trust EPA readings on turbo vehicles.

Also, I don't know if you have a Costco membership card, but if you do, get the Toyota through Costco. My uncle had a recent experience with this and basically got a $3k discount off the bat without haggling. May I add, get the V6 too.

is there any other issues with CX-9 as far as reliability? I cant find anything concrete besides complaints about bugs with the infotainment system which is not a big deal to me. If it was up to me I would have bought a highlander yesterday for its unquestionable reliability but my wife really likes the looks of the CX-9 much more.

My last Toyota was a Sienna (needed it when my kids were younger LOL). Had a Sequoia, Camry, Corolla, over the years. My last car purchase was a Mazda 6, because I wanted to try a different brand (plus I really like the aesthetics of Mazdas, compared to the generic me-too look of Toyotas and Hondas).

Never had a problem with my Sienna (just basic maintenance stuff like oil change, tire change, etc). I drove that thing to the ground, until it got totalled in an accident...

The Mazda, in the meantime, had transmission issues in less than a year. The dealer fixed it under warranty. In general, I think Toyotas and Hondas have better quality, etc. More ooomph as well, especially the Hondas (my brother drives a Pilot).

I understand that Siennas/Mini Vans are way down on the coolness factor, but if you're looking for practicality and reliability, it worth a look.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: 7 seater SUV for around 35K

kenkoy wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Mazda CX-9
Toyota Highlander
Chevy Traverse

My last Toyota was a Sienna (needed it when my kids were younger LOL). Had a Sequoia, Camry, Corolla, over the years. My last car purchase was a Mazda 6, because I wanted to try a different brand (plus I really like the aesthetics of Mazdas, compared to the generic me-too look of Toyotas and Hondas).

Never had a problem with my Sienna (just basic maintenance stuff like oil change, tire change, etc). I drove that thing to the ground, until it got totalled in an accident...

The Mazda, in the meantime, had transmission issues in less than a year. The dealer fixed it under warranty. In general, I think Toyotas and Hondas have better quality, etc. More ooomph as well, especially the Hondas (my brother drives a Pilot).

I understand that Siennas/Mini Vans are way down on the coolness factor, but if you're looking for practicality and reliability, it worth a look.

preaching to the choir. I initially thought the whole toyota/honda thing was just living off of overrated reputation but Im a believer after driving my Camry to 160K miles on absolutely nothing more than oil changes and brakes and its still driving strong. But a minivan is a hard no from my wife.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Mike, you may have commented on this in another thread, but, I'm pretty much thinking about buying the Hyundai Kona Electric the moment it hits the lot. Not a 7-seater, but it is a compact SUV electric with 250 miles of range.

Any experience with it? A little concerned about it being first gen but I'm just so into EVs now. Haha.

No experience with it yet. But I am a touch skeptical of that full 250mile range. But charge 2x a week and it won't matter anyway.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject:

Quote:

2016 models had transmission issues. They would slip or have a delayed shift, but I think it's because that was the 1st year model of the recent generation.

Don't get me wrong either. I love how the Cx-9 looks and drives over almost all mid-size SUVs. Sharper steering, better drive response, better visual appeal. But in terms of reliability, it's Toyota or Honda, still. Mazda is a step behind with reliability.

The Highlander is basically in the middle, or towards the end of its' product cycle. The kinks should have already been worked out.

Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Fallout wrote:

It has the best AWD among the SUV's you listed which is nice for safety and control. Esp if wet or icy road. But it wont be out till June or July.

I rented a Subaru Legacy a while back for a road trip while my truck was in the shop. Absolutely loved the way it handled and zoomed thru traffic. Will consider Subaru in a few years when im in the market.

I've had many friends for decades who were Subaru fanatics and I have driven several myself over the years, but it wasn't until my wife bought her Outback 3.6R Touring that I totally get the Subaru devotion.

Mike, if you get the chance to test drive the Subaru Ascent when it comes out, it would be great if you can post your impressions.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject:

Fallout wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Fallout wrote:

Mike, if you get the chance to test drive the Subaru Ascent when it comes out, it would be great if you can post your impressions.

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

No experience with it yet. But I am a touch skeptical of that full 250mile range. But charge 2x a week and it won't matter anyway.

Yeah, I always expect those numbers to be about 10% or so off just like gas mileage estimates. I assume that is accomplished under optimal conditions. Even still thats enough to eliminate range anxiety for me. I think the 200 mi mark is where I’d be comfortable.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Yeah, I always expect those numbers to be about 10% or so off just like gas mileage estimates. I assume that is accomplished under optimal conditions. Even still thats enough to eliminate range anxiety for me. I think the 200 mi mark is where I’d be comfortable.

Same. Always need A/C on.

audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject:

The wife had the final call... we ended up getting a late model Lexus RX 5 seater. After I sell my other cars in the coming months I'll likely get a highlander.
DeeAgeaux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
The wife had the final call... we ended up getting a late model Lexus RX 5 seater. After I sell my other cars in the coming months I'll likely get a highlander.

So two Camry based crossovers.

I think I just saw Akio smile.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: