OFFICIAL Lakers 2016 NBA Draft Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 1138, 1139, 1140  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZenMaster4President
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Except there were multiple reports, at the time, that Russel is, in fact, working pretty hard. Those came from no less reputable sources.

Combining with Pincus's general trend of "selling out/towing company line", it seemed as if he was fed some bogus info for whatever reason.
The Gr8 Lakes
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject:

I think Russell worked hard because I saw the results on the court when allowed to play. The ankle and knee injuries pretty much ended his season as he was a step slow. Whether Pincus reported it or Byron spewed it out, that's meaningless to me. I watched him improve throughout the season which means he was working. Kobe liked Russell as well and that's pretty much a stamp of approval. Looks at Swaggy. Complete opposite.

Longtime LG lurker.
Venom
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject:

The Gr8 Lakes wrote:
I think Russell worked hard because I saw the results on the court when allowed to play. The ankle and knee injuries pretty much ended his season as he was a step slow. Whether Pincus reported it or Byron spewed it out, that's meaningless to me. I watched him improve throughout the season which means he was working. Kobe liked Russell as well and that's pretty much a stamp of approval. Looks at Swaggy. Complete opposite.

Russell had ankle and knee injuries?
The Gr8 Lakes
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Late in the season iirc he banged knees and then tweaked his ankle. So the last month looked a little sketchy. Not to mention the Young fiasco.

Longtime LG lurker.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:34 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Mindripper2000 wrote:
Why, again, would you want a 20 year old to be the savior of the franchise? Even Kobe wasn't that kind of player at 20.

I imagine the meltdown here, if Kobe was a 20 year old nowadays and airballed 2 times against the Jazz

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/how-a-pair-of-air-balls-set-the-stage-for-kobe-bryants-fearless-career/

No air balls = no motivation. His game evolved because of it.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:41 am    Post subject:

Mindripper2000 wrote:
danzag wrote:
Mindripper2000 wrote:
Why, again, would you want a 20 year old to be the savior of the franchise? Even Kobe wasn't that kind of player at 20.

I imagine the meltdown here, if Kobe was a 20 year old nowadays and airballed 2 times against the Jazz

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/how-a-pair-of-air-balls-set-the-stage-for-kobe-bryants-fearless-career/

People here would have suggested we package Kobe in a deal for 2 yrs old baby Okafor in 1997.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Mindripper2000 wrote:
danzag wrote:
Mindripper2000 wrote:

People here would have suggested we package Kobe in a deal for 2 yrs old baby Okafor in 1997.

No doubt
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Quote:
The Lakers were willing to pay cash for a second-round pick on Thursday night, but didn’t want to surrender a future second-rounder to make a deal happen, and ultimately couldn’t find a trade partner, tweets Eric Pincus of Basketball Insiders.

Quote:
Eric Pincus ( a t ) EricPincus
Lakers were willing to pay cash for another 2nd rounder but weren't willing to trade a future 2nd

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/

The Warriors paid $2.4 million to the Bucks to get the 38th pick. The Lakers couldn't do that?

http://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2016/6/23/12022584/warriors-draft-2016-pat-mccaw-unlv-milwaukee-bucks

Did you not even read the post you quoted? Holy smokes.

The Warriors and the Cavs were able to buy one. Why couldn't the Lakers?

Read the post you quoted man!

And it's not "buy" one. It's not a Draft Pick General Store.

It's "trade" for one. To do so you need a trade partner. The Lakers couldn't find a trade partner willing to part with a 2nd round pick for cash.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Mindripper2000 wrote:
danzag wrote:
Mindripper2000 wrote:

Butler is the new Okafor here. It's getting pretty crazy to be honest.

Any bets on who the "Okafor" will be if/when Ingram struggles next season? Buddy Hield?
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Mindripper2000 wrote:
danzag wrote:
Mindripper2000 wrote:

Aw man, that made me laugh. I'm going to refer to Baby Okafor in future posts.
augus7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Mindripper2000 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Mindripper2000 wrote:
danzag wrote:
Mindripper2000 wrote:

Butler is the new Okafor here. It's getting pretty crazy to be honest.

Any bets on who the "Okafor" will be if/when Ingram struggles next season? Buddy Hield?

Probably Dunn. He seems like the most NBA ready imo. Hell, I can imagine some would P&M about us not getting Simmons.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject:

I enjoyed this thread.

It's nice we have Ingram but Simmons has been amazing. I'm surprised some debated how good Simmons would be.
E_Wulf420
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
E_Wulf420 wrote:
Is Ingram a better prospect coming out if college than Wiggins?

Wiggins is still a poor 3 point shooter. Good athlete, but more in the league of DD than a John Wall. His motor was also a good concern coming out of college. There were talks of Embiid going #1 before his injury. Also his defense was over hyped. Ingram is a way better prospect. I am not that high on Wiggins being perennial all-star. Ingram started as a 2-5 pick and then got into conversation about #1 with Ben Simmons.
I think its fair to say, yes Ingram is better, despite being 3 years younger lol. Is he better than Simmons is the real question now.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject:

E_Wulf420 wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
E_Wulf420 wrote:

Wiggins is still a poor 3 point shooter. Good athlete, but more in the league of DD than a John Wall. His motor was also a good concern coming out of college. There were talks of Embiid going #1 before his injury. Also his defense was over hyped. Ingram is a way better prospect. I am not that high on Wiggins being perennial all-star. Ingram started as a 2-5 pick and then got into conversation about #1 with Ben Simmons.
I think its fair to say, yes Ingram is better, despite being 3 years younger lol. Is he better than Simmons is the real question now.

He's not better than Simmons right now.

But he's better than Wiggins, who is clearly a better athlete, with some better physical tools outside of wingspan.

Why?

Intangibles.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
E_Wulf420 wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
E_Wulf420 wrote:

But he's better than Wiggins, who is clearly a better athlete, with some better physical tools outside of wingspan.

Why?

Intangibles.

BI has an easier path to his ceiling than Simmons. He has no shot to speak of which would be unprecedented if he ever developed one.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
E_Wulf420 wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
E_Wulf420 wrote:

Why?

Intangibles.

BI has an easier path to his ceiling than Simmons. He has no shot to speak of which would be unprecedented if he ever developed one.

Totally disagree.

LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
E_Wulf420 wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
E_Wulf420 wrote:

Why?

Intangibles.

Totally disagree.

You think Simmons develops a jumper?
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Ben Simmons has outright said that he's not working on improving his shooting. He doesn't feel that he needs to become a better shooter.

Simmons is better, but if Ingram keeps up the improvements to his FT and 3 point shooting among other things it becomes a lot more interesting.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject:

What areas of his game his Simmons improved since being drafted? His numbers are virtually identical across the board from last season.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
What areas of his game his Simmons improved since being drafted? His numbers are virtually identical across the board from last season.

He started at 16/8/8 as a borderline all-star from Day 1, was an all-star this year, you want to hold that against him? What do you need, 20/10/10? Most importantly, his team wins.
microbe obliterator
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject:

whoa! quite the necro thread! was i even alive when it began?!
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
manlisten wrote:

He started at 16/8/8 as a borderline all-star from Day 1, was an all-star this year, you want to hold that against him? What do you need, 20/10/10? Most importantly, his team wins.

You did everything but attempt to answer the question.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
E_Wulf420
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
manlisten wrote:

You did everything but attempt to answer the question.

I think they're pretty even at this point. I'm sure Ingram would have been a borderline all star if he was on different team this season.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject:

I really really hope we can get Deandre Hunter in the draft. He checks off so many boxes we need:
-3 point shooting
-defense
-NBA ready

I've seen some mocks have him go as high as top 5 but I think he can slip to us as most lottery teams are aiming for those potential franchise player prospects
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:35 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Simmons could add strength, play better off-ball, learn to shoot from 15' (forget about 3pt range), and basically be better as a 4 than a 1.

But I disagree that BI has an easier path to his ceiling than Simmons. Simmons is what, a Top 30 player, right now? Even if he's near his ceiling he's a badass 3rd option guy that plays upper tier defense and is switchable? The Lakers would kill for that.

BI, otoh, had tiers of skill sets to build on, just to try to get to Ben's level. I don't think that's an easier path.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 1138, 1139, 1140  Next
Page 1139 of 1140
Jump to: