Official 2018 NBA Draft Thread: Lakers select Moe Wagner (#25), Isaac Bonga (#39), and Svi Mykhailiuk (#47) - see 1st page for draft links
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 106, 107, 108 ... 492, 493, 494  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject:

If the Cavs had just 3 less wins, we would have had the 18th pick.

Freaking Raptors of all teams just had to crap the bed against them twice?
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
If the Cavs had just 3 less wins, we would have had the 18th pick.

Freaking Raptors of all teams just had to crap the bed against them twice?

Aw man that's tough
lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Mannn I wish we got like the 23rd pick instead of 25. I know someone good will be there at 25, but Jontay could be a low 20s pick. Really a potential special passer, and shooter, and good ball handler.

The top 3 for my Lakers board, fit heavily factored in

1) Hutchinson (SF)
2) Jontay (C)
------
3) Okobo (PG)
------
4) Evans (big enough to play SF)

I don't want another SG, Hart is our backup SG, and I don't like SFs closeing out on SGs jumpers (if we draft another SG to play backup SF)

I'd also be meh...ok, with Shamet, Shake Milton, Khyri Thomas. Lead guards. Brown is a good SF prospect but his jumper is 3+ years away, no thanks.

My ideal board would be Robinson, Musa, Porter, Hutchison.
Second tier would be Evans, Thomas, Okobo, Brown
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AECUHKkWrXk

Look at how quickly the pass leaves Jontay's hand at :43, when he sees the open man beyond the 3-point line.

Look at how quickly Jontay recognizes the double team at 1:40.

There are a lot of examples here of how I can understand why people on here are excited about his passing. He seems to have really good awareness on the court. As far as his shot, it looks nice, although the stats aren't overwhelming there. Still, 75% FT's is pretty good, and some (like me) think that's a good indicator that he can shoot it well at the next level.

Given his age (doesn't turn 19 until November), skill level, and awareness on the court at that age, I can see why people are excited about him. Get him an NBA body and who knows what he turns into when he's 22-23 years old.

A center version of Kuzma with passing.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Look at how quickly the pass leaves Jontay's hand at :43, when he sees the open man beyond the 3-point line.

There are a lot of examples here of how I can understand why people on here are excited about his passing. He seems to have really good awareness on the court. As far as his shot, it looks nice, although the stats aren't overwhelming there. Still, 75% FT's is pretty good, and some (like me) think that's a good indicator that he can shoot it well at the next level.

Given his age (doesn't turn 19 until November), skill level, and awareness on the court at that age, I can see why people are excited about him. Get him an NBA body and who knows what he turns into when he's 22-23 years old.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I mean, his game is spot ups, reads, with a quick trigger. Straight line drives with a spin move. Not quite the floater game, but Kuzma had years to develop that.

Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Megaton wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I mean, his game is spot ups, reads, with a quick trigger. Straight line drives with a spin move. Not quite the floater game, but Kuzma had years to develop that.

So let me get this straight:
- One of if not the youngest player in the draft
- So far measured at 6'11 and 240 pounds.
- An offensive style and shooting like Kuzma
- As a...Center?

So tell me why I shouldn't want this guy, like yesterday?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Megaton wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

- As a...Center?

He's pudgy and a fluid but not explosive athlete.

That's why he's all over the place on draft twitter vs mock drafts. Draft twitter sees the passing/defense, typical mock drafts see the pudge and the shooting. I think he's a lottery talent. I don't think he's some elite swatter but I don't see why he couldn't have a Brook Lopez swat rate. The modern NBA leans so hard to this archetype at 5, that it boosts his draft stock.

Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject:

Jontay looks pretty good but how do you know whether he is Cousins or Bryant? He has skills but doesn't seem particularly athletic.

Worth it if he evolves into a poorman's Cousins... but he could also just duplicate what we already have, which is Thomas Bryant.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Jontay looks pretty good but how do you know whether he is Cousins or Bryant? He has skills but doesn't seem particularly athletic.

Worth it if he evolves into a poorman's Cousins... but he could also just duplicate what we already have, which is Thomas Bryant.

He doesn't duplicate what we already have. Unlike Bryant, he can actually dribble and really pass, not just pass vs G-league defenders.

Even if he does duplicate what we have, he's arguable BPA at the pick, so I'd still take him.

Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

He doesn't duplicate what we already have. Unlike Bryant, he can actually dribble and really pass, not just pass vs G-league defenders.

Even if he does duplicate what we have, he's arguable BPA at the pick, so I'd still take him.

Good to know, because I've been underwhelmed by Bryant so far.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Good to know, because I've been underwhelmed by Bryant so far.

The only real thing stopping Bryant is reading the floor at both ends and being at game speed.

That's what Jontay has in spades.

Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Megaton wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Megaton wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

- As a...Center?

That's why he's all over the place on draft twitter vs mock drafts. Draft twitter sees the passing/defense, typical mock drafts see the pudge and the shooting. I think he's a lottery talent. I don't think he's some elite swatter but I don't see why he couldn't have a Brook Lopez swat rate. The modern NBA leans so hard to this archetype at 5, that it boosts his draft stock.

Well if he has a good work ethic like Kuzma too, I would be all over this kid in a heartbeat. Even as far as trading up to get to him before anyone else drafts him.

I mean it's the kind of Center this team has been looking for long term right? Other than DeAndre Ayton.
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject:

pckage both for a lower pick? 18-24? or if we going for the allstar line up we will need cheap rookies so keep them both
misterrunon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject:

I would like to roll the dice for Mitchell Robinson, but he won't likely be available at pick #25. I'd think somewhere between 15-20 is where he'll be going.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject:

misterrunon wrote:
I would like to roll the dice for Mitchell Robinson, but he won't likely be available at pick #25. I'd think somewhere between 15-20 is where he'll be going.

The Lakers unfortunately don't have the goods to move up without tossing in Hart.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

How does he compare to Jokic as an athlete?
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kjHTdFesHpU

Loving Jontay’s highlights too. And the “to the Lakers” comments.

He just looks like a perfect fit here so far. I love his shooting form too.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
misterrunon wrote:

The Lakers unfortunately don't have the goods to move up without tossing in Hart.

I'm not so sure about that. A team was able to move up 2 spots for the Lakers' #28 pick last year, and we ended up with #42 (where we took Bryant). What if we offered the 2019 CHI 2nd (which will likely end up in the 30's), the Denver 2nd this year, or maybe even both? You never know if that could allow us to move up 2-3 spots. It wouldn't be a huge jump, but a couple spots, you never know.

What if the Bulls weren't set on anyone at 22? What if we offered #25, Zubac, and their own 2019 2nd round pick back? They might go for that, you never know! And then:

"With the 22nd pick in the 2018 NBA Draft, the Los Angeles Lakers select...Jontay Porter, Forward/Center, Missouri."

In all honesty though, I bet he goes higher than that. Tankathon has him going 15th.

Last edited by ChickenStu on Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:

Wow. Intriguing prospect.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Jontay handling in HS. If the Raptors would have beat the Cavs in the reg season... 3 more losses we'd have #18!!
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject:

lakerfanaticPT wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Mannn I wish we got like the 23rd pick instead of 25. I know someone good will be there at 25, but Jontay could be a low 20s pick. Really a potential special passer, and shooter, and good ball handler.

The top 3 for my Lakers board, fit heavily factored in

1) Hutchinson (SF)
2) Jontay (C)
------
3) Okobo (PG)
------
4) Evans (big enough to play SF)

I don't want another SG, Hart is our backup SG, and I don't like SFs closeing out on SGs jumpers (if we draft another SG to play backup SF)

I'd also be meh...ok, with Shamet, Shake Milton, Khyri Thomas. Lead guards. Brown is a good SF prospect but his jumper is 3+ years away, no thanks.

My ideal board would be Robinson, Musa, Porter, Hutchison.
Second tier would be Evans, Thomas, Okobo, Brown

I'm getting more intrigued with Musa.. I think I actually like him a good deal. His handle and quicks are a bit underrated, nothing special but on the good side for a SF..and he projects to possibly be a sniper. I can see why DX has him top 20.
I'd be legit happy with drafting him too.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Jontay has a good work ethic and he is young so working off that baby fat shouldn't be a problem. He needs to get a little more physical defensively.
His shooting and passing should translate well in to the NBA. He is testing the waters; if he doesn't get a high enough evaluation he could go back to college since he has not hired an agent.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Average height for a center, below average wingspan, below average athlete.

Given those characteristics, it is unlikely he succeeds in the NBA.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Megaton wrote:

Wow. Intriguing prospect.

If he drops to us it would be a miracle. But if he slips even just a bit I think he's worth trading up for.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 106, 107, 108 ... 492, 493, 494  Next
Page 107 of 494
Jump to: