How would you explain to a pessimist fan that this summers FA won’t the same as in recent years
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Just expect nothing, and if nothing happens, you're good. Anything extra is just an amazing cherry on top.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject:

81 wrote:
70sdude wrote:
81 wrote:
To all the previously mentioned reasons, I'd add the circumstances of the free agents available and the market.

PG13 is an LA native and there's been oft-cited speculation that he wants to play for LA. OKC may be eliminated in the first round and they don't have an obvious path toward improvement.

LeBron has a house in LA, an apparently frayed relationship with Gilbert, and not the strongest supporting cast. Philly is the only other team that can sign him without a S&T. While the 76ers have the stronger core, if the Lakers sign George, trade Deng and keep Randle, it's debatable. Factor in playing in his city of residence, business opportunities, etc. and LA may have the edge.

While Cousins is a major risk, he doesn't have an obvious free agent fit.

Though an LA native, isn't Paul George is playing with another LA guy right now ? Westbrook inked that extension with the Thunder and he's no doubt working his best pitch on Paul George to stick around for the same reasons he used for himself.

If I'm Paul George, I might see my better chance for a few championship runs coming with a club a couple clicks further along the maturity scale than with the Lakers. The Thunder have their All-NBA guy, they have their starting center, and well, PG has been there just one campaign.

What do we have to offer ? Come play with four prospects named Joe (accomplishment-wise) and a nice looking possible shot at a future playoff berth in a year or two ? This is no sure thing here. It reads like a hard sell to top Free Agents with our club, at least as long as we aren't competing for a playoff berth. One step at a time for me, and at least 2017-2018 stands up as the end of the dumpster fire here, rather than the start of something big.

Westbrook was able to sign a supermax deal, George won't be able to do so. Take PG13 off the Thunder and the Lakers have arguably the better roster, certainly the younger roster with more upside. Yes, unless they sign LeBron he wouldn't be playing with anyone as good as Westbrook, but it's not a big leap to think that the Lakers with PG13 will be better than the Thunder.

That's nuts. I seriously doubt the Lakers could match the OKC 48 win season in our first go with Paul George in 2019, if PG were to come here (to become our best player.) That's the measure, right - winning. OKC has the better roster: three defenders better than anyone we currently have and three scorers better than anyone we have. PG has a brighter future in OKC in the next season or two. The best shot the Lakers have is if PG wants to come to LA to play above all other considerations, win or lose.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
81 wrote:
70sdude wrote:
81 wrote:
To all the previously mentioned reasons, I'd add the circumstances of the free agents available and the market.

PG13 is an LA native and there's been oft-cited speculation that he wants to play for LA. OKC may be eliminated in the first round and they don't have an obvious path toward improvement.

LeBron has a house in LA, an apparently frayed relationship with Gilbert, and not the strongest supporting cast. Philly is the only other team that can sign him without a S&T. While the 76ers have the stronger core, if the Lakers sign George, trade Deng and keep Randle, it's debatable. Factor in playing in his city of residence, business opportunities, etc. and LA may have the edge.

While Cousins is a major risk, he doesn't have an obvious free agent fit.

Though an LA native, isn't Paul George is playing with another LA guy right now ? Westbrook inked that extension with the Thunder and he's no doubt working his best pitch on Paul George to stick around for the same reasons he used for himself.

If I'm Paul George, I might see my better chance for a few championship runs coming with a club a couple clicks further along the maturity scale than with the Lakers. The Thunder have their All-NBA guy, they have their starting center, and well, PG has been there just one campaign.

What do we have to offer ? Come play with four prospects named Joe (accomplishment-wise) and a nice looking possible shot at a future playoff berth in a year or two ? This is no sure thing here. It reads like a hard sell to top Free Agents with our club, at least as long as we aren't competing for a playoff berth. One step at a time for me, and at least 2017-2018 stands up as the end of the dumpster fire here, rather than the start of something big.

Westbrook was able to sign a supermax deal, George won't be able to do so. Take PG13 off the Thunder and the Lakers have arguably the better roster, certainly the younger roster with more upside. Yes, unless they sign LeBron he wouldn't be playing with anyone as good as Westbrook, but it's not a big leap to think that the Lakers with PG13 will be better than the Thunder.

That's nuts. I seriously doubt the Lakers could match the OKC 48 win season in our first go with Paul George in 2019, if PG were to come here (to become our best player.) That's the measure, right - winning. OKC has the better roster: three defenders better than anyone we currently have and three scorers better than anyone we have. PG has a brighter future in OKC in the next season or two. The best shot the Lakers have is if PG wants to come to LA to play above all other considerations, win or lose.

I don't think it's crazy. This is under the assumption that even if the Lakers don't land LeBron, they use their cap space on short-term deals to re-sign/replace Lopez and KCP or IT (basically subbing George in for one of them). PG13 going from OKC to LA closes some of the 13-win gap. The Lakers roster is also filled with developing players, so you'd expect Hart, Ball, BI and Kuzma to be on the upswing, whereas OKC's core is in their prime, aside from Melo, who's declining. Maybe they don't reach their potential, but the Lakers have a lot of players with room to improve, OKC, not so much. You'd also count on better health. BI and Ball missed a third of the season each. The only significant injury for OKC was Roberson. And the Lakers will have cap space in 2019, whereas OKC, should they re-sign George would pretty much be looking at mid-level and vet min. signings over the next few years,
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject:

^

I don't picture a continuous arc of improvement among Hart, Ball, BI and Kuzma, not along the steep rate of improvement we saw last season. I think Kuzma may marginally improve year to year, and Hart similarly so. But not leaps and bounds. Brandon Ingram broke out as a playmaker out of necessity while Lonzo missed time repeatedly. I doubt that happens again in terms of his rate of improvement. Lonzo himself stands as a huge question mark for the team's upcoming season.

Can his handle improve quickly enough to permit a driving game at all ? Can he get fundamentally strong enough to convert his perimeter shot at a moderate rate ? Will he stay healthy enough to play 60+ games ? None of these things are certain, and all as a group, unlikely at once.

Taken together, the four guys stand 50-50 by my view to improve as a group at all next season unless Lonzo improves a lot himself - and quickly.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
^

I don't picture a continuous arc of improvement among Hart, Ball, BI and Kuzma, not along the steep rate of improvement we saw last season. I think Kuzma may marginally improve year to year, and Hart similarly so. But not leaps and bounds. Brandon Ingram broke out as a playmaker out of necessity while Lonzo missed time repeatedly. I doubt that happens again in terms of his rate of improvement. Lonzo himself stands as a huge question mark for the team's upcoming season.

Can his handle improve quickly enough to permit a driving game at all ? Can he get fundamentally strong enough to convert his perimeter shot at a moderate rate ? Will he stay healthy enough to play 60+ games ? None of these things are certain, and all as a group, unlikely at once.

Taken together, the four guys stand 50-50 by my view to improve as a group at all next season unless Lonzo improves a lot himself - and quickly.

We only have a coinflip's chance of improving next year? I'll take our squad over WB and friends any day of the week, and that's not even mentioning our huge advantage in the ability to add more players this year and next, while building some chemistry with guys who could be all stars in a couple years.

We are a far better fit for PG than where he is now. It's almost becoming cliche, but as great as WB is that team lives and dies with him, and he doesn't play much defense like Lonzo does. Speaking of Zo, he will have far less responsibility to score and can do more of what he does best, finding George off screens for open 3s and cuts to the basket. Imagine PG replacing KCP on all the open pin downs and being able to run the PnR with Randle.

So other than playing with WB (which isn't necessarily a positive) why should PG choose OKC over us?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject:

cue Magic on Kimmel doing the wink face
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: