What if no major FA's are signed this off-season?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject:

Sixers fans aren't losing sleep over moving high picks in Oak and Noel, they have legitimate all star talent and their team is making serious progress. No reason to lose sleep over Dlo/Nance/JC when we have the opportunity to sign LBJ/PG/KL.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Then the DLo trade was a total blunder.

But, if that happens, you suck it up and dont make any hasty moves.

I used to say the same thing but nah. Kuzma, Lopez >>> DLO, Mozgov

I hope you don't try to re-litigagte that deal but factually speaking, that was the deal and we won by miles.

Thehere are two ways to look at the trade.

First, the purpose of it was to create cap space to sign a max free agent. If that doesn't happen it's fair to say the trade failed to achieved its objective.

The second way to evaluate the trade is how Russell and Kuzma pan out in the long run (and less so whether we keep Lopez). Right now it's looking like we won, but it's always possible that things will look different 3-5 years if Russell takes off and Kuzma doesn't.

But that's a judgment that will be made in highsight, long after we've moved onto other things. The trade is done, and deciding whether we "won" or "lost" it might make us feel better or worse, but it won't change anything.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject:

Not a huge deal...try to keep Randle, if he get's a huge offer we don't want to match try to sign some good 1 year deal vets like we did with Lopez and KCP, let the young guys continue to grow.

Next summer we'll still have room to go after folks in 2019 and Deng with only 1 year left may cost less to move if we go that route.

Best thing about the Lakers position is they have options which ever way it goes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
2019 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Then the DLo trade was a total blunder.

But, if that happens, you suck it up and dont make any hasty moves.

I used to say the same thing but nah. Kuzma, Lopez >>> DLO, Mozgov

I hope you don't try to re-litigagte that deal but factually speaking, that was the deal and we won by miles.

Thehere are two ways to look at the trade.

First, the purpose of it was to create cap space to sign a max free agent. If that doesn't happen it's fair to say the trade failed to achieved its objective.

The second way to evaluate the trade is how Russell and Kuzma pan out in the long run (and less so whether we keep Lopez). Right now it's looking like we won, but it's always possible that things will look different 3-5 years if Russell takes off and Kuzma doesn't.

But that's a judgment that will be made in highsight, long after we've moved onto other things. The trade is done, and deciding whether we "won" or "lost" it might make us feel better or worse, but it won't change anything.

I was one of the most disheartened people over that trade when it happened. I thought it was a shortsighted move that was solely predicated on our ability to sign 2 max guys (should we have had created further space to make that happen).

But today, I feel differently. I feel like whether or not we get 2 guys, that trade was a huge win. I'd take Kuzma any day over Russell, Lopez was massive upgrade over Moz, and we gained flexibility. People will still conflate that trade with "well we could have gotten Kuzma at 28" because factually speaking, it's not what happened. Also, Hart is an absolute stud who will be a highly productive player on championship level teams.

So back to the topic, "what if we don't get 2 max guys", oh well. We still upgraded our roster and will bring back Brook on a 1 year deal.

The deal that would still a little more I guess is loving JC and Nance for cap that we didn't use but then again, we got #25 and could possibly bring back IT for one more year.

Still though, my gut feels like we're getting LeBron and PG. If we don't, bring back Randle, Lopez, KCP, and then add Hezonja and Ilyasova.
JPaulK0n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject:

Don't worry, if the Lakers only sign Paul George, some Lakers fans wouldn't consider him a major free agent signing.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject:

JPaulK0n wrote:
Don't worry, if the Lakers only sign Paul George, some Lakers fans wouldn't consider him a major free agent signing.
well looking at him in this OKC series. he isnt a superstar thats for sure.

Which makes you ask the question, does PG deserve the MAX? Not saying what the market may suggest because people will overpay for all sorts of players whether its logical or not.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:

Which makes you ask the question, does PG deserve the MAX? Not saying what the market may suggest because people will overpay for all sorts of players whether its logical or not.

He's putting up 27/6, shooting 42% from 3. I wouldn't blame him for this series.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:

Sure he does. If you figure every team in the league is going to have at least one max guy, there are 30-40 guys in the league who deserve the max. George is one of the top 40 players in the league.

If you have the perception that only 4 or 5 guys really deserve the max, you won't see it that way. But those guys deserve more than the max -- the system is just set up to have a ceiling, which benefits the guys at the bottom of the pyramid and hurts the guys at the very top of it.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:

Sure he does. If you figure every team in the league is going to have at least one max guy, there are 30-40 guys in the league who deserve the max. George is one of the top 40 players in the league.

If you have the perception that only 4 or 5 guys really deserve the max, you won't see it that way. But those guys deserve more than the max -- the system is just set up to have a ceiling, which benefits the guys at the bottom of the pyramid and hurts the guys at the very top of it.

Precisely. It's market-driven, not a "here's the value in a vacuum" driven.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject:

JPaulK0n wrote:

It's already starting in the FA thread by a select few.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:

it's not market driven. it's do you the FO think this player is worthy of X amt of money? YES or NO. if the answer is NO. WHY NOT? If it is YES? WHY.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What if no major FA's are signed this off-season?

unleasHell wrote:
After all, George, LeBron and Kawhi all are currently under contract for next season and even though George & LeBron can opt-out, there is no definitive word that they would actually sign with the Lakers. Boogie is injured and I don't see any other "difference makers", meaning the Lakers may be forced to bring most everyone back.

Going back to the 2015-16 season the Lakers won 17 games, in 2016-17 they increased their wins by nine to 26 games (won). This season (2017-2018) they again increased their wins by nine, winning 35 games.

If they returned the same basic group (including Randle, Lopez, KCP and Frye, but not Thomas), with Ingram, Kuzma, Ball, Hart and Randle continuing to develop and perhaps even more important; learning to play together, I think they could be a very exciting team!

I'm reasonably sure that Lopez, KCP and Frye would take 1-year (sorta) balloon deals, which would help preserve the Lakers Cap space to make a run at one or two FA's after the 2018-19 season.

And, I think they could increase their win total (assuming the core can stay healthy) by another 9 or 10 games, getting their win totals up to 45 and very close to the 47 wins that was needed to get into the Western Playoffs this year (in the East 43 wins was enough...).

Winning 45 games and making the playoffs would certainly make potential FA's seriously consider signing here and I'm not quite ready to break-up-the-band!

Thoughts?

Well said.

--Anonymous
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:

Yes, if someone pays him the max then he will be a max player. Though I am not sure he will ask for max years, opting out after 2 makes a lot of sense for him.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:

It's already starting in the FA thread by a select few.

He’s a top 20 player, that is significant
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:

it's not market driven. it's do you the FO think this player is worthy of X amt of money? YES or NO. if the answer is NO. WHY NOT? If it is YES? WHY.

What’s the point if you don’t have cap space. Then that FA is worth 0 to you bc you can’t participate in FA.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject:

If no max FO is signed. I hope the FO changes their approach when it comes to free agency depending upon max free agents signing to a losing team, and they switch it up and start actually actively building around their young core and seeing them as the future max players.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:

No, he's not a superstar, in the sense that he signing him would not be a game changer in and of itself. That doesn't mean that he isn't a max player or that he wouldn't be a major free agent signing.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject:

I'd be okay with bringing back some of the same squad if it happens early. What I don't want to happen is we wait and serviceable free agents are scooped up. I'm sure they'll know

In any case, I'd bring back Thomas and Lopez. If we lose out on Lopez,I'd kick the tires around on a one year for boogie.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Then Magic and Rob will look towards the 2019 off-season. Then 2020, 2021, 2022...

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
If no max FO is signed. I hope the FO changes their approach when it comes to free agency depending upon max free agents signing to a losing team, and they switch it up and start actually actively building around their young core and seeing them as the future max players.

I think it's safe to saw we're doing both, and are not pigeonholed into one or the other, which is a great approach.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
Then Magic and Rob will look towards the 2019 off-season. Then 2020, 2021, 2022...

You have this summer and next summer before our own lottery picks are up for their own FA $ (actually already kind of starting with Randle). Cap space for expensive UFA won't be available in 2020
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: