Thoughts on Hassan Whiteside for Deng?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject:

^Whiteside has enough moves in the post and can get off the shot anytime he wants. He just never developed any court awareness to make reads when he gets doubled.

That's on him.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Emphatic no. He can't play in today's NBA.

Yep.

Whiteside is exactly the reason why the league is going away from "traditional" bigs, whether it's post or PnR or even a midrange shot in the halfcourt. Randle can stay on the floor because he can pass and grab and go off defensive boards, on offense; then elite switchability on D. Whiteside? 1 position, both ends.

Whiteside is the guy that can help you get 2 to 5 wins during the regular season because he's still a premier swat threat. After that? Nu uh. Lopez is more valuable.

I'd rather have Wayne Ellington
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject:

BigBallerBrand wrote:
Lonzo
Kawhi
PG
Randle
Whiteside

Ingram
Lopez (cheap contract)
KCP (cheap contract)

That is a solid defensive team?

KCP's not accepting a cheap contract. Kawhi's not coming to the Lakers for just Kuz. He's a terrible fit and weaker mentally than Boogie (with a quarter of the talent). This isn't NBA 2K. Everybody on this board with a semblance of basketball knowledge or emotional intelligence have destroyed this idea.

So... I guess that'd be a "no"
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject:

I can't find much to recommend the deal.

First, it makes no sense for The HEAT to take on Deng for his skills or for his contract, so as a practical matter the deal is essentially a dead duck at the door with the potential trading partner.

Second, Whiteside gets in the way of running most forms of the Laker five threat offense. He occupies space inside on offense and in doing so blunts Ingram's most powerful threat, a drive-pass-shoot option on the way from the perimeter to the rim. HW can barely read an offensive possession and worse, can barely catch-n-pass well enough to move the ball quickly enough along to the next option. He cannot shoot outside 10' from the rim, so his presence inside also diminishes Randle's main scoring threat, his improvisational work inside ten feet.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject:

I don't want either one!
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject:

My thoughts are that OP is one of Pat Riley's alt accounts
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:
First, it makes no sense for The HEAT to take on Deng for his skills or for his contract, so as a practical matter the deal is essentially a dead duck at the door with the potential trading partner.

the Heat would save over $36 Million by doing the deal....and lose a player that they prefer to give his minutes to his backup anyway....if anyone would benefit from the deal, it would be the Heat.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject:

The heat would love that deal. That's all I'am gonna say.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
^Whiteside has enough moves in the post and can get off the shot anytime he wants. He just never developed any court awareness to make reads when he gets doubled.

That's on him.
and there you have it. he's not good enough in the post.

after you learn the moves and the counter moves. you then have to learn how to pass out of the double teams. if you dont learn that. teams will just double you for the turnover. and now your post game is gone. you're already slow. so what else do you have to offer on the offensive end? nothing.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject:

I rather sign cousins to a 1 yr
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject:

Lakesh0wtime wrote:

it's like an option between Gonorrhea and Diarrhea....sure one is definitely worse and will be a problem for a longer period or time.....but nobody is getting excited about the option either.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject:

I would pass on the deal but:

Hes a great defender, has decent rpm numbers and a 54% fg

I dont know why everyone here hates him but loves Randle. Another guy who cant shoot, is a ok defender, has decent rpm numbers and a 55% fg

One guy rebound better the other is a better passer but I wouldn't pay either of these guys crazy amounts of money because of their limited ability to score the ball.

Not saying Whiteside is better than Randle but to me there on the same level
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Lakesh0wtime wrote:

it's like an option between Gonorrhea and Diarrhea....sure one is definitely worse and will be a problem for a longer period or time.....but nobody is getting excited about the option either.

What is Diarrhea's TS% these days? I mean I think it's worth considering
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:

I dont know why everyone here hates him but loves Randle. Another guy who cant shoot, is a ok defender, has decent rpm numbers and a 55% fg

One guy rebound better the other is a better passer but I wouldn't pay either of these guys crazy amounts of money because of their limited ability to score the ball.

One guy is quickly turning into a lockerroom cancer and the other has proven himself through hard work and dedication and is only getting better (on a much cheaper deal as well). Randle has also added a ton to his scoring ability and less of the knuckle-headed plays from previous seasons. Watch GT's recap of Randle's season, it's like night and day. If he adds a 3pt shot he's a bonafide all star caliber player at 24 years old..the comparison isn't really close.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Lakesh0wtime wrote:

What is Diarrhea's TS% these days? I mean I think it's worth considering

not sure exactly....but it plays at a high pace and often scores quickly....some say it has a purée stroke.....
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

One guy is quickly turning into a lockerroom cancer and the other has proven himself through hard work and dedication and is only getting better (on a much cheaper deal as well). Randle has also added a ton to his scoring ability and less of the knuckle-headed plays from previous seasons. Watch GT's recap of Randle's season, it's like night and day. If he adds a 3pt shot he's a bonafide all star caliber player at 24 years old..the comparison isn't really close.

I've seen GT recap on Randle, hes a good player but I would say hes not all that much better than Whiteside. You say If he adds a 3 pointer he'll be an allstar well tell when if happens and i'd be more than willing to give the guy a huge contract until then there's a limit I would pay for a guy who cant shoot.
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Not that I would want Hassan on our team,
but:

I don't get the "dinosaur in todays NBA" or "no spacing" arguments.

Jazz showing the opposite right now!
Their bigs don't shoot the ball and even the guards aren't very good shooters. They are playing successful basketball though
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
trablos wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

I've seen GT recap on Randle, hes a good player but I would say hes not all that much better than Whiteside. You say If he adds a 3 pointer he'll be an allstar well tell when if happens and i'd be more than willing to give the guy a huge contract until then there's a limit I would pay for a guy who cant shoot.

So a guy shoots 55%, as you yourself posted, but can’t shoot? Argue with yourself much?
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject:

Two max free agents over the next two years requires that Deng is dealt for lesser/expiring contracts or stretched. You can't tie up $25 mm in a poor roster fit. Aside from max players, I'd rather stretch Deng, re-sign Lopez and maybe have enough left over for another bench piece. It might be more worthwhile to gamble on Cousins' health.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
trablos wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

So a guy shoots 55%, as you yourself posted, but can’t shoot? Argue with yourself much?

Randle shoots 22% from 3 so yeah the guy cant shoot the ball.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
trablos wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

Randle shoot 22% from 3 so yeah the guy cant shoot the ball.

Your concept of shooting the ball is minimalistic. I suppose you also think that Shaq couldn’t shoot? Here’s a quick primer, shooting consists of attempting to put the ball in the basket. Doing so more than failing to do so is a positive.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
trablos wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

Randle shoot 22% from 3 so yeah the guy cant shoot the ball.

Your concept of shooting the ball is minimalistic. I suppose you also think that Shaq couldn’t shoot? Here’s a quick primer, shooting consists of attempting to put the ball in the basket. Doing so more than failing to do so is a positive.

I'd say your concept of shooting is too intricate. Can a person shoot a 3(or at the very least a long 2) at a high rate? No, then they cant shoot so yeah I'd say Shaq couldnt shoot

but thats just me, I'm moving on since this thread isnt about randle and i said everything i wanted too.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject:

chantruong wrote:
If we still had Mosgov, I would trade Mosgov and Deng for Whiteside

THIS...!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: