The Avengers: INFINITY WAR (April 2018) - Spoiler Warning (Enter at Own Risk)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject:

SPOILERS...

I think the key to this will be Doctor Strange with the time stone. He said earlier that there was 1 scenario (out of the millions) in which they defeat Thanos, and as Doctor Strange was fading away, he told Stark that "it had to be this way", or something like that. As if it's what he wanted.

The most hard-to-accept point of the film for me was Starlord screwing up the entire fate of the universe because he just had to hit Thanos as the plan was working and he was being held in check. Really? Like, I know his woman was killed, but this is fate-of-the-universe stuff. You really are going to be that rash? I don't buy that, and I also think that Stark would've been way more forceful to hold him at bay in that moment. Kind of felt cheap that Thanos got out of that situation in that way. I would've been more impressed had he just somehow gotten out of it without "getting help", so to speak.

Overall though, I really enjoyed it. I could've watched another couple of hours for sure.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Can we please see a teen titans movie?
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
SPOILERS...

I think the key to this will be Doctor Strange with the time stone. He said earlier that there was 1 scenario (out of the millions) in which they defeat Thanos, and as Doctor Strange was fading away, he told Stark that "it had to be this way", or something like that. As if it's what he wanted.

The most hard-to-accept point of the film for me was Starlord screwing up the entire fate of the universe because he just had to hit Thanos as the plan was working and he was being held in check. Really? Like, I know his woman was killed, but this is fate-of-the-universe stuff. You really are going to be that rash? I don't buy that, and I also think that Stark would've been way more forceful to hold him at bay in that moment. Kind of felt cheap that Thanos got out of that situation in that way. I would've been more impressed had he just somehow gotten out of it without "getting help", so to speak.

Overall though, I really enjoyed it. I could've watched another couple of hours for sure.

Im convinced thanos wouldve gotten it back easily even without the gauntlet hes insanely powerful.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
SPOILERS...

Yeah that was basically my thoughts exactly, re: the scene with Dr. Strange.
Which TBH is BS, you're telling me Dr. Strange didn't see a future where they calm down Starlord and therefore defeat Thanos.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
I just went to the last Marvel movie I'll ever go to.

Yeah, the ending was pretty dumb and I felt like the whole plot was pretty hard to follow.

The problem with making a supervillain this ridiculously overpowered is that the resolution will have to involve some sort of Deus Ex Machina.

I didn't find any of that to be an issue. It was very easy to follow. I just found it incredibly manipulative. As my wife said as we left, "Well that was a ton of fun until I felt totally ripped off". I don't have any problem with Thanos coming out the (temporary) victor, I just was insulted by the whole false drama nature of it in what is clearly just a money grab rather than actual storytelling.

Marvel: Hey, Here's 4/5ths of a movie. If you want the whole thing, come back and pay us for Part 2.

I agree it is manipulative, but for a different reason. It's pretty clear to me that the resolution will involve using the time stone to "undo" all the deaths. That this inevitability is baked into the ending scene makes the ending feel pointless designed to make you feel sad.

I'm curious what you find as false drama? It doesn't really feel like 4/5ths of a movie to me.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
SPOILERS...

spoliers

here's the problem with them taking the glove off and getting the stones back. thanos would go thru the same trouble to find them again just like he did the first time. the dude is super powerful without the stones and he's getting the best of the best aliens to fight for him to boot.

truth is, dr strange was right. it had to be like this because thanos had to see for himself what his idea of balance would look like. remember he said he just wanted to do it then he could finally rest and watch that sunset. as if that was his life's work all in one finger snap. the problem is, he had to kill the one person he loved to do it. will that new burden outweigh the old burden of wanting to balance the universe in this manner? we shall see.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Yeah, the ending was pretty dumb and I felt like the whole plot was pretty hard to follow.

The problem with making a supervillain this ridiculously overpowered is that the resolution will have to involve some sort of Deus Ex Machina.

I didn't find any of that to be an issue. It was very easy to follow. I just found it incredibly manipulative. As my wife said as we left, "Well that was a ton of fun until I felt totally ripped off". I don't have any problem with Thanos coming out the (temporary) victor, I just was insulted by the whole false drama nature of it in what is clearly just a money grab rather than actual storytelling.

Marvel: Hey, Here's 4/5ths of a movie. If you want the whole thing, come back and pay us for Part 2.
you so realize thats how the comics were written. you had to go thru X installments of them to the full stories. all the different versions of each person.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
SPOILERS...

spoliers

here's the problem with them taking the glove off and getting the stones back. thanos would go thru the same trouble to find them again just like he did the first time. the dude is super powerful without the stones and he's getting the best of the best aliens to fight for him to boot.

truth is, dr strange was right. it had to be like this because thanos had to see for himself what his idea of balance would look like. remember he said he just wanted to do it then he could finally rest and watch that sunset. as if that was his life's work all in one finger snap. the problem is, he had to kill the one person he loved to do it. will that new burden outweigh the old burden of wanting to balance the universe in this manner? we shall see.

Interesting, so you're saying Dr. Strange was banking on the fact that Thanos himself would choose to see what he had done, regret it, and go back in time to change it, it sounds like. I can get behind that logic.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject:

Spoilers:

https://twitter.com/aser_jeune/status/990750745707401217?s=21
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
SPOILERS...

spoliers

Interesting, so you're saying Dr. Strange was banking on the fact that Thanos himself would choose to see what he had done, regret it, and go back in time to change it, it sounds like. I can get behind that logic.

Comic Spoilers

in the comic Adam Warlock points out how Thanos is basically a self saboteur and will end finding a way to lose because he doesn't really want to win. I think that's what Strange saw too since he's taken on some of the Warlock role.
Clark Kent
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I agree it is manipulative, but for a different reason. It's pretty clear to me that the resolution will involve using the time stone to "undo" all the deaths. That this inevitability is baked into the ending scene makes the ending feel pointless designed to make you feel sad.

I'm curious what you find as false drama? It doesn't really feel like 4/5ths of a movie to me.

Avengers works because it's like a show, I.e. Infinity War in this example is Game of Thrones.

Infinity War is basically the season finale of the Avengers. And if you want to nail it down, it's Game of Throne's version of season 3 episode 9 the "Red Wedding".

But Game of Thrones has 10 episodes, not 9. There's still a lot more story left to be told. See how Avengers concludes it on episode 10.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject:

complete waste of time. they will undo all the deaths....pointless film. if thanos really wanted to make the world a better place, is killing 50% of the universe's population really the best way? they tried to humanize his character, but it was a pathetic attempt to add some depth to a shallow character.
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject:

BigBallerBrand wrote:
complete waste of time. they will undo all the deaths....pointless film. if thanos really wanted to make the world a better place, is killing 50% of the universe's population really the best way? they tried to humanize his character, but it was a pathetic attempt to add some depth to a shallow character.

Its a hard story to do, and not much was known about the character until this movie (if you don't read the comic books). In the comic books, he did it for 'love', but it didn't make sense for the movie.

While I enjoyed the movie, there are some inconsistencies that bugged me like the stones seem to be powerful in one hand, not so much at another time.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject:

GOAT Comic Book movie hands down

10/10
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
GOAT Comic Book movie hands down

10/10
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject:

SPOILER!

[Actor] confirms that their character is dead for good.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
SPOILERS...

spoliers

you can call it banking on it or more or less saying this is THEE only 1 shot we got. remember he went thru millions of scenarios and only found one that would work. 1. not 2. but 1. and even as they were losing he said "we're in the end game now" he being dr strange.

He already saw this happen. there was no way he could tell anyone because someone might try to do something different and blow it up. so he played his part/role. Remember Thanos ASSUMES he will feel completed after snapping that finger and vanishing 50% of life in the universe. He doesnt actually KNOW if thats what the great itch he has had his entire life is. But for a guy that powerful and that driven. You darn near need to let him have it because he's going to take it anyway. if it aint today, it's tomorrow. if it aint tomorrow its 1000 years from today.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Fallout wrote:
BigBallerBrand wrote:

Its a hard story to do, and not much was known about the character until this movie (if you don't read the comic books). In the comic books, he did it for 'love', but it didn't make sense for the movie.

While I enjoyed the movie, there are some inconsistencies that bugged me like the stones seem to be powerful in one hand, not so much at another time.
the stones themselves are always powerful but this is the first time he has had the other stones. it takes years and years of practice to know what each of them can do. You could tell he was trying some stuff out. which is why he was still vulnerable to regular attacks. Thano told thor he should've cut his head off. Truth is, he should've cut his arm off.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
SPOILERS...

Which TBH is BS, you're telling me Dr. Strange didn't see a future where they calm down Starlord and therefore defeat Thanos.
Nope. there was no future where you kill someones girlfriend and they just chill out in the moment of heat. it aint happening. lol. remember this was the same guy that had his crew shooting at the avengers talking about "thanos is that you." did spiderman jr really look like thanos to you mr starlord? of course not. but he's quick to judgement.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
SPOILERS...

I think this is part of the reason why I think it was okay. Not amazing.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn over here watching Avengers while connected to Cerebro.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Super Spoiler:

Soooo. we're just going to be in here and not ask "WHY" the elephant in the room question of the movie. What the heck was wrong with the hulk and why was he in his feelings?

I have a couple of theories:

1. He was mad he got his a... whooped by thanos.

2. he was mad that banner wouldn't let him go full on 10000% Hulk Smash crazy, which in a physical confrontation is unbeatable because the more your hurt him and piss him off. the stronger and angrier he gets x infinity. The downside to this is that banner nor anyone other person would be able to control him.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
splashmtn over here watching Avengers while connected to Cerebro.
hey they i was one of the lucky ones. I was apart of the good 50% that lived
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
tox wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
SPOILERS...

lol you guys are really mad at that part of the movie not understanding thats starlords personality. he's kind of stupid at times. his entire crew is. thats what makes them so hilarious to watch.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
tox wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
SPOILERS...

lol you guys are really mad at that part of the movie not understanding thats starlords personality. he's kind of stupid at times. his entire crew is. thats what makes them so hilarious to watch.

Not one specific part. I'm just not completely mindblown like everyone else is. Watching what Starlord did was totally predictable.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9
Jump to: