Was Mitchell or Porzingod the bigger miss from our FO?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Was Mitchell or Porzingod the bigger miss from our FO?

I would go with Poringod simply because I think Lonzo will have a good 2nd year (just like BI), but can't believe we missed out on both studs
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Was Mitchell or Porzingod the bigger miss from our FO?

BigBallerBrand wrote:
I would go with Poringod simply because I think Lonzo will have a good 2nd year (just like BI), but can't believe we missed out on both studs

Prolly Porzingod, cuz we actually worked him out and Lord Byron didnt want him
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Mitchell. I like porky, but, not as high on him.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject:

We were probably never going to draft Mitchell since he went #13....Porky was in our reach but we got scared of too many misses on Euro players.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject:

we didnt even work out Mitchell?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject:

The guy went 13th. He was never realistically in play. It's just not worth thinking about. Porzingis, in theory, could've been in play, since we apparently didn't want to take Okafor (the correct decision), so Porzingis may have been our second choice.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Still no regrets about last year's pick. But If we truly had gangster FO, we would have traded down to the Kings for their 5,10 and possibly 20 pick. That way we could draft Markenan and Mitchell.
Sago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Lol hindsight ftw
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject:

we were at Mitchell's pro day.

magic and DLo are there.

and mitchell is already a better player than porzingis will ever be.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject:

I bet Utah is glad Mitchell fell into their lap....they were never going to be a destination for big name free agents and now they probably have a superstar player for a bargain price for the next couple of years.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
I bet Utah is glad Mitchell fell into their lap....they were never going to be a destination for big name free agents and now they probably have a superstar player for a bargain price for the next couple of years.

Guys don't keep "falling" into your lap.

The Jazz front office and coaches are kicking ass for a small market team, they are Sacramento otherwise.
JPaulK0n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Can't blame them for missing out on both, Lakers or any other team wouldn't have the guts to draft either at the draft spot the Lakers were in. Also, Russell and Okafor were the consensus picks to go to the Lakers in 2016 and for the Lakers in 2017, it was practically zeroed in that Ball was going to be the pick with some considerations for Fox & Josh Jackson. Nobody had Mitchell going anywhere close in the top 5. With Mitchell & Kuzma's recent success, teams should probably not always believe that the Mock Drafts that comes out are the be all of drafting, as practically these days the draft are similar to the Mock Draft's that come out with hardly as much reaches like before for lottery teams, as they don't want to get the negative feedback for reaching, especially if you are a bad tanking team. Porz & Mitchell would have been considered massive reaches if the Lakers took them at the time of the draft, so can't blame them for going with the safe picks that everybody had Russell & Ball being drafted at. If you had to take one, would have to be missing out on Porz, as rim running big men that can shoot and block shot are a premium in today's NBA.

Last edited by JPaulK0n on Wed May 02, 2018 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

Fell into their lap??

Utah traded for Mitchell on draft day.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

The Jazz front office and coaches are kicking ass for a small market team, they are Sacramento otherwise.

Fall as in still available to draft at their spot in the lottery. Lets face it there are plenty of good players in the draft as long as you have a front office that can spot these jewels.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

they got "lucky" with Mitchell-- well not lucky because they liked him-- but they also took Lyles over Booker and Exum over Randle. So just like everyone else.. you nail some and miss some.

Mitchell > KP. Love everything about that kid.

Now Im waiting for the "I'd still take Lonzo" argument...
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Fall as in still available to draft at their spot in the lottery. Lets face it there are plenty of good players in the draft as long as you have a front office that can spot these jewels.

This. Here's to getting a steal with the 25th pick . I pray for Mitchell Robinson.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Fell into their lap??

And I bet Denver is kicking themselves now.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject:

Porzingis by far.
captain jack
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject:

I think Magic and Pelinka were so set on Ball at 2, that they weren't even looking at other players such as Tatum and Mitchell. Honestly, Kuzma and Hart somewhat saved Magic and Pelinka. I hope Ball proves me wrong, but Tatum and Mitchell's ceiling is much higher. Together -- his ugly shot, his loud mouth daddy and his lazy arse brothers -- its looking like a disaster.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject:

captain jack wrote:
I think Magic and Pelinka were so set on Ball at 2, that they weren't even looking at other players such as Tatum and Mitchell. Honestly, Kuzma and Hart somewhat saved Magic and Pelinka. I hope Ball proves me wrong, but Tatum and Mitchell's ceiling is much higher. Together -- his ugly shot, his loud mouth daddy and his lazy arse brothers -- its looking like a disaster.

They didn't work out Tatum which is weird to me but I don't think they were dead set on Lonzo. I mean, Fultz, Fox, Jackson were the 3 guys they were otherwise considering and Lozno is going to the the best of that bunch. Mitchell was all the way down there at #13 and 12 other teams missed on him so I can't get too mad at that one.

But yeah... Mitchell or Tatum would have been great picks. I'd take him over KP but the gap between Russell and KP is bigger than Lozno and Mitchell.. I think/hope

Last edited by 2019 on Wed May 02, 2018 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
Porzingis by far.

Not with his injuries.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject:

did we even workout Mitchell?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Fell into their lap??

And I bet Denver is kicking themselves now.

Considering they gave up Mitchell for Trey Lyles and Tyler Lydon? Yeah. Lmao
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject:

everyone saying "can't blame them" because consensus was whatever whatever

that's a cop out. if you miss on a guy you have to figure out why. don't rely on consensus. do your own homework. trust your own evaluations. if you accept the "can't blame them" attitude then you're destined to continue missing and shrugging when you miss out.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

they got "lucky" with Mitchell-- well not lucky because they liked him-- but they also took Lyles over Booker and Exum over Randle. So just like everyone else.. you nail some and miss some.

Mitchell > KP. Love everything about that kid.

Now Im waiting for the "I'd still take Lonzo" argument...

Mitchell had a better season, but I think it’s entirely possible Lonzo has a better career. He's better on defense, rebounding, and passing. And he’s 14 months younger than Mitchell. Let’s see how Ball's second season (at age 21) compares to Mitchell's first season (also at age 21).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13
Jump to: