40 Best Careers in NBA History
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject:

I've been saying for more than a few years that Kareem is the GOAT. The Nike hype machine and popularity of the game during MJ's career have inflated his spot. Kareem was unstoppable offensively and despite a lack of effort sometimes, was still a force defensively. Youngins just don't realize how good he was.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject:

OCWA wrote:
I've been saying for more than a few years that Kareem is the GOAT. The Nike hype machine and popularity of the game during MJ's career have inflated his spot. Kareem was unstoppable offensively and despite a lack of effort sometimes, was still a force defensively. Youngins just don't realize how good he was.

The biggest knock against Kareem is he won a ring in his second year with the Bucks, but the Bucks underperformed in the remaining years he was there and he personally had some pretty bad playoff series. It's interesting to speculate how many rings he would have ended up with had he not had the fortune to team up with Magic
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
OCWA wrote:

The biggest knock against Kareem is he won a ring in his second year with the Bucks, but the Bucks underperformed in the remaining years he was there and he personally had some pretty bad playoff series. It's interesting to speculate how many rings he would have ended up with had he not had the fortune to team up with Magic

I thought rings weren't a part of this ranking? And really we can speculate how many rings Lebron would have if he didn't go to Miami or why he didn't win as many as he should have.

He's top 3 in all time ranking in points, rebounds, blocks, MVP's, Games played, Minutes played and Win Shares. He had both a legendary college career and NBA career. Nobody else can say that and that's putting aside his 6 rings.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
I thought rings weren't a part of this ranking?

They aren't. The other posters are speaking more generally.

As OCWA suggests, Kareem's biggest problem in the court of public opinion is that his glory days were prior to the TV era. Also, he was prickly and not very likeable (notwithstanding Airplane! and the Bruce Lee movie), which limited the hype. If he had the personality of Dr. J or even Larry Bird, he could have been the first great NBA marketing icon. Instead, it was Bird saying "Take two of these, and call me in the morning." Looking back on it almost 40 years later, that was one of the moments when the NBA began to enter the modern era.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
activeverb wrote:
OCWA wrote:

I thought rings weren't a part of this ranking? And really we can speculate how many rings Lebron would have if he didn't go to Miami or why he didn't win as many as he should have.

He's top 3 in all time ranking in points, rebounds, blocks, MVP's, Games played, Minutes played and Win Shares. He had both a legendary college career and NBA career. Nobody else can say that and that's putting aside his 6 rings.

Rings weren't part of his ranking. And sure you can woulda coulda shoulda more or less rings for anybody
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8
Jump to: