Ryan Leaf in trouble with the law again

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Ryan Leaf in trouble with the law again

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/30/ryan-leaf-in-trouble-with-the-law-again/

Quote:
Ryan Leaf in trouble with the law, again

As the Colts once again face a tough decision (or so they claim) regarding which quarterback to select with the first pick in the draft, the guy on whom the Colts wisely passed the last time the franchise was in this position once again is in trouble with the law.

According to the Great Falls Tribune, Leaf faces burglary, theft and drug charges. He is free on $76,000 bond.

In 2010, Leaf was placed on 10 years’ probation after pleading guilty to eight felony drug charges in Texas. Apart from the new charges, Leaf undoubtedly will face allegations that he violated the terms of his probation.
Flight#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Oh boy, I didn't see this coming.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject:

I know I shouldn't be shocked but I guess a part of me thought he turned his life around he appeared to have realized the error of his ways etc

But I should've known he's an addict they're good liars
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject:

It was not a tough decision.
ElliotTheFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject:

Flight#24 wrote:
Oh boy, I didn't see this coming.
jamas33
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject:

Why Ryan why???
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject:

With a name like Leaf he should have abused chronic.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Update: Ryan Leaf was arrested again today.

Quote:
HELENA, Mont. -- Former NFL quarterback Ryan Leaf was arrested again Monday, just days after he posted bail on similar charges that he burglarized a home and stole prescription drugs, authorities said.

Leaf was first arrested on Friday after police found oxycodone pills in his golf bag that an acquaintance later said Leaf stole from his home. Then early Monday, three days after posting a $76,000 bond, he was arrested again on accusations that he broke into another home outside Great Falls, Central Montana Drug Task Force commander Chris Hickman said.

The owners walked into the home Sunday afternoon to find a "tall man with an athletic build" inside, Hickman said. The man told the owners he had the wrong address and left.

The owners later discovered three bottles of prescription medication missing and phoned police. After describing his truck, his clothes and his "shiny black loafers," they picked Leaf out of a photo lineup.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7765279/ryan-leaf-arrested-montana-again-police-seeking-warrant-gpa
Caught in the devil's bargain
And we've got to get ourselves
Back to the garden

-Joni Mitchell
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject:

April Fools!!!

...oh wait, this is the 2nd.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8854058/ryan-leaf-booted-treatment-center-prison

Quote:
Ryan Leaf sent to state prison

HELENA, Mont. -- Former NFL quarterback Ryan Leaf has been moved from a drug treatment center to the Montana State Prison for threatening a staff member and violating his treatment plan, a corrections official said Thursday.

The former San Diego Chargers and Washington State Cougars quarterback was charged last spring with breaking into two houses and stealing prescription painkillers near his hometown of Great Falls. He pleaded guilty in May to burglary and criminal possession of dangerous drugs, and his five-year sentence called for spending nine months in a locked drug treatment facility as an alternative to prison.

Ryan Leaf, pictured here in his 2012 booking photo for breaking into two houses and stealing painkillers, was moved from a drug treatment center to the Montana State Prison for threatening a staff member and other behavioral problems.
Leaf said then that he was looking forward to the treatment at Nexus Treatment Center in Lewistown. But on Thursday, the Montana Department of Corrections released a statement by Great Falls regional probation and parole administrator Dawn Handa that said Leaf will now serve his sentence in the Deer Lodge prison.

"The Montana Department of Corrections terminated Leaf from the treatment program and placed him in prison after he was found guilty of behavior that violated conditions of his drug treatment program. The violations included threatening a program staff member," Handa said in the statement.

Leaf attorney Kenneth Olson did not return calls for comment.

Adult Community Corrections Division director Pam Bunke wrote that Leaf was too great a security risk to leave in a community setting, and that staff had exhausted all resources in keeping him there.

Leaf told his roommate at the treatment center that he wanted to drag a program staffer by his hair, according to the Department of Corrections document approving Leaf's transfer to prison.

Leaf also wrote in three "Thinking Error Reports" that he wanted to throw the staffer against the wall and smash his glass into the man's head.

Thinking Error Reports are part of the treatment program meant to help participants monitor their potential problems and help them recognize and cope with the source of their addiction, according to an agency description.

Leaf was moved out of the Lewistown center on Dec. 29. He was held in the Fergus County Jail until he was transported to the Deer Lodge prison Wednesday, said Corrections spokesman Bob Anez.

A disciplinary hearing was held Jan. 9 in which a hearings officer found Leaf guilty of threatening another person or his possessions, according to a summary by the Department of Corrections.

He also was found guilty of wearing clothes he was told not to wear and volunteering his services when directed not to, according to the summary.

Those may seem to be minor charges, but it represented the fourth therapeutic action plan given to Leaf to try to bring him into compliance, the report said.

When Leaf was served papers for the hearing, he was "less than cooperative," according to the report.

"He got angry, swore at staff, refused to sign off on the witness form and threw the hearing notification papers on the floor," the report said.

Leaf will remain in the state prison until at least June 30, when he becomes eligible for parole, Anez said. That does not mean he will be released, but he will receive a hearing before the state Board of Pardons and Parole.

James Farren, the district attorney in the Texas county where Leaf was previously given probation in a plea agreement for drug charges in 2010, said his office will move to bring Leaf back to Randall County, where he could stand trial. The original Texas case stems from accusations that Leaf stole prescription pain medicine from a player's home while he was a coach at West Texas A&M.

If Leaf ends up getting prison time from a judge in Texas, he would return to Montana to serve out his time there. He would get credit for his Montana prison time in Texas, Farren said.

Farren said he gave Leaf a chance with the Texas plea deal. The Montana courts gave him another chance, he said.

"It doesn't matter how many chances he gets," Farren said.

Leaf was the No. 2 pick in the 1998 NFL draft, but his short-lived pro career earned him the reputation as one of the biggest busts in NFL history.

An investigation began in March 2011, after Great Falls postal workers reported they were suspicious of frequent packages Leaf received by paying COD charges of $500.

Central Montana Drug Task Force officers and Leaf's parole officer confronted the former quarterback and found a container with 28 oxycodone pills inside and another container with a prescription made out to an acquaintance.

The acquaintance said Leaf had entered his home without permission, and Leaf was arrested.

Shortly after his release, two Cascade County residents told authorities they found Leaf inside their home.

The couple reported three different prescription medications missing.

The Great Falls Tribune first reported Leaf's imprisonment Thursday.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Leaf is certainly not a likable fella, but no one deserves the demons of addiction and mental illness. What a nightmare his life has become. Dude should try surfing like Marinovich.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject:

When he gets out of prison, he needs to marry Lindsay Lohan.
2CSBROS
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject:

In trouble with the law? I think we are about an hour past midnight with the trouble. He has gone full (bleep) with the law.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject:

https://www.wthr.com/article/kravitz-once-an-nfl-draft-bust-sober-leaf-is-now-giving-back-and-embracing-a-new-life

Quote:
KRAVITZ: Once an NFL draft bust, sober Leaf is now giving back and embracing a new life

INDIANAPOLIS (WTHR) - This is a story of arrogance and narcissism. This is a story of a man’s meteoric rise and rapid fall into the abyss of addiction and incarceration. This is a story of Ryan Leaf’s resurrection, the way the former No. 2 pick in the 1998 Draft, the man who was taken by the Chargers right after the Colts established their franchise by taking Peyton Manning, has bounced back from the hardest fall imaginable.

Just six years ago, Leaf was in a Montana jail cell, doing some time in solitary confinement, in fact, after breaking into homes and stealing opioids to satiate a habit that had sent his life careening off the rails.

To his great credit, though, he has become determined to alter the narrative – draft bust, bad guy, inmate – and create an entirely different second act for his life.

“Now, karmically, I’m in the media,’’ he said with a laugh as he sat in an Indianapolis hotel lobby the day of the NFL Draft.

It’s true. Leaf, the guy who used to see media people as lower life forms, has begun doing work for the Pac-12 network and does an XM radio show out of his home in Los Angeles. More important, though, he does what he is doing this evening, speaking to a crowd of roughly 700 at the Fairbanks Circle of Hope dinner at the downtown Marriott.

"What I say is somewhat dependent on the audience," he said. "This will be more recovery based, more about experience, strength and hope. It’s about choice and understanding we’re all flawed human beings who try to do better every day. Probably the three ideals that strengthen my life now are accountability, spirituality and community....An audience can relate to me. I’m flawed. A Brady or a Manning, they’re NFL quarterbacks and I share that commonality with them, but I don’t feel like I can relate to them at all because they’re almost like perfect beings. They’re iconic."

Before Leaf developed a life-altering drug problem after his retirement from the NFL, he had a very different kind of problem: He had a Ryan Leaf problem. He was, by his own admission, an arrogant narcissist who was put on a pedestal at a very young age, a person who believed he was fully deserving of that stature. It’s why, when I asked him if he thought there was a chance he could have succeeded had he been drafted by the Colts rather than the San Diego Chargers, he quickly shook his head.

"No, I was the problem, and it wouldn’t have mattered where I was drafted," he said. "I was the problem. I wouldn’t have been able to lead the league in interceptions as a rookie like Peyton did and come out the other side. See, Peyton saw it as an opportunity to take failure and see it as an opportunity, whereas I saw it as a referendum on me as a person and a player. I would have struggled badly with that."

It’s something Leaf tells audiences, and especially audiences like other athletes, as he did two years ago when he spoke to potential draftees at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis. "Just because you’re a great athlete," he told them, "it doesn’t necessarily mean you’re a good person."

In this Sept. 13, 1998, file photo, San Diego Chargers quarterback Ryan Leaf looks to hand the ball off as teammate Raleigh McKenzie blocks during a 13-7 win over the Tennessee Oilers in Nashville, Tenn. (AP Photo/Mark Humphrey)
It is worth noting, though, that some of the things that have been written about Leaf’s pre-draft dalliance with the Colts are not true, at least according to Leaf. Yes, he missed a meeting with Jim Mora, but that’s because the Chicago Bears had asked him to get an MRI on his thumb. But no, he said, he did not turn down a date to meet with the Colts brass because he had previously arranged a buddies’ golf trip to Vegas. "[Bill] Polian said that in his book," Leaf said. "Same guy who said he had a first-round grade on Tom Brady, right? Look, going to Vegas instead of meeting with them sounds like something I might do, but it’s not." And no, he said again, it’s not true that he and his agent at the time, Leigh Steinberg, were trying to steer the former Washington State star away from Indy and toward San Diego. Leaf acknowledges he preferred San Diego over Indianapolis – "They had [Marvin] Harrison, they had [Marshall] Faulk, but I wasn't thinking about the right things at the time," he said – but there was never a mandate to Steinberg to get him to San Diego.

In the months before that 1998 draft, Manning, who comes from the NFL's version of the Kennedy family, was cast as the golden child while Leaf was the swaggering badass with the big arm.

"Pre-draft, they put Peyton in the white hat and me in the black hat, and instead of stopping that and saying, 'Hey, that’s not me, I’m just a hick from Montana who's going to live a dream,' instead I wore the smokers jacket in the ESPN article and referred to Peyton as the 'golden boy.' I started doing what Dennis Rodman did when he became The Worm. Just as long as people were talking about me..." he said.

"I needed to be humbled as a narcissist. True humility is the understanding of who you really are, regardless of what anybody else says or thinks or knows and I was never Ryan."

Over the years, Leaf has come to terms with the fact that as a younger man, pre-incarceration, pre-humiliation, he just wasn't a very nice person. The world owed him because he was special. And then, when the failure came on the football field and the criticism and questions about him began, he fell to pieces and imploded.

"The bad behavior really started when I was 13; that's when I realized I could get away with more," he said. "That’s when people started putting me on a pedestal. Understand, I'm the only first-round pick from Montana. There are more first-rounders in the Manning family than the whole state of Montana. I thought I was pretty special. Even if I did mess up with people, I could always correct that on a Friday night playing basketball, baseball or football.

“...I’d like to blame my poor play on being an addict, but I didn't start using until after I was done. It was about me. I developed this idea that success was all about money, power and prestige. I don't know why. It wasn't taught to me by my family. My father is a high-integrity person. But I learned it somewhere. The higher and higher I got on the pedestal, the more important I thought I was, and you were beneath me, no matter who you were.

"Especially with the media, thinking you guys are peons, I don't have to do anything for you and I can be the worst possible person....So for me, it was totally a behavior thing. I was an egomaniac with a self-esteem problem. What other people thought of me was truly important. It didn't matter if they disliked me, as long as they were thinking of me."

When the money and prestige came – not the success, so much – it only emboldened Leaf. He was untouchable. The problem was, he wasn't playing well. For as long as people talk about him, they will run that unfortunate video of him freaking out when a San Diego reporter, Jay Posner, sat next to him in the locker room to ask him some questions. It's Leaf's version of Jim Mora's “Playoffs! Playoffs??!’’ Leaf lasted just four seasons in the NFL, at which point, it all fell completely apart.

"I was a drug addict long before I ever took a drug, and competition was my drug," he said. "I had my first drink at 18. The only drug I'd ever used was Vicodin. I looked at those people who drank and used, I saw them as morally bankrupt. I was better than you. Competition was everything. I had to win at everything. It was all black and white. I was a success at everything in my life until I failed at the highest level and then I imploded. It was all about how I dealt with life and failure."

After four unhappy and unproductive seasons in the NFL, Leaf walked away from the game that was his life-long identity. Now he needed something to fill the void, the emotional emptiness he felt from having reached the apex of his life, only to fail spectacularly. Then a friend offered him Vicodin – which he’d used before, but only within the realm of dealing with football-related pain -- and his life took an ugly turn.

"The physical and emotional pain I had, it worked for me. I didn't feel better. I just felt nothing."

It all bottomed out on April 1, 2012.

He was on probation for having broken into a friend’s house and stealing some pain-killing drugs two days earlier. Now he had no drugs and he was contemplating ways in which he could commit suicide. Those plans never came to fruition, but he did find another house, another opioid fix, and within hours, the sheriff’s department showed up and threw him in jail. He did 32 months for burglary and drug crimes, detoxed in prison, did some time in solitary confinement.

Even there, Leaf didn't quite get it. The humbling was not quite complete. He had his issues in prison. But then he started listening to, and actually hearing, the words of a cellmate who was a military veteran. He painstakingly talked Leaf into going to the library and helping inmates learn to read. And something clicked -- finally. He was doing something for somebody else. It wasn't all about him. He was giving back, and now sober through those 32 months, it felt every bit as good as any opioid.

"After I started being of service to other human beings, things changed," Leaf said. "I credit my [prison cell] roommate and his ability to get my head out of my ass. Some people have to be humbled in a different way, and I had to be stripped clean of it all, I guess."

He is six years sober now.

He finished his degree at Washington State and is embarking (ironically) on a media career.

Heisman Trophy candidates, from left to right, Charles Woodson, Peyton Manning, Randy Moss and Ryan Leaf pose in the lobby of New York's Downtown Athletic Club with the Heisman trophy prior to the start of the ceremony Dec. 13, 1997. (AP Photo/Adam Nadel)
He is speaking to groups around the country, telling them his story.

"What would you tell your younger self?" I wondered.

"I’d tell him it's going to hurt like hell, but you're going to be OK. Twenty years since the [1998 Draft], I can talk to all three guys in the [1997] Heisman class [Manning, Charles Woodson and Randy Moss], see their lives are pretty peaceful now and they're in a happy place, and no matter the ups and downs, I can safely say I'm in a similar spot. No matter what happens, you can always recover if you choose to do the next right thing that moment.

"Twenty years later, we're in the same spot."
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Ryan Leaf was the first Johnny Manziel. Hopefully Manziel will take some notes and help other people who are at risk so that they don't make the mistakes he and Leaf made.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject:

Took me while to realize this was a revival of an old thread. I was just thinking how I watched a special on leaf and he waa doing speeches and looking great.
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject:

I hope Ryan walks the walk from here on out. Everyone deserves a second chance.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject:

dubaholic1 wrote:
I hope Ryan walks the walk from here on out. Everyone deserves a second chance.

Yeah, even Michael Vick.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/espn-hires-former-wazzu-qb-leaf-as-college-football-analyst/ar-AAEkawr?li=BBnba9I

Quote:
ESPN hires former Wazzu QB Leaf as college football analyst

Ryan Leaf has been hired by ESPN to be a college football analyst, another step in the remarkable comeback of the former Washington State star who has battled drug addiction and served time in prison.

Leaf will be paired with play-by-play announcer Clay Matvick and will mostly call games on ESPN2 and ESPNU. The former No. 2 overall NFL draft pick for the San Diego Chargers in 1998 worked for the Pac-12 Network last season and has been co-hosting a show on SiriusXM's Pac-12 channel.

Leaf finished third in the Heisman Trophy voting in 1997 and led the Cougars to the Rose Bowl.

After a tumultuous four-year NFL career, Leaf's personal life fell apart. He spent two years in prison after being arrested in 2012 for breaking into a home in Montana to steal prescription drugs, and violating his Texas probation.

''Ryan has experienced the highs and lows in the game of football, putting him in a position to relate to a wide range of situations players can find themselves in,'' said Lee Fitting, ESPN's vice president of production. ''He will be able to rely on those experiences - including an unbelievable college career where he was an All-American and Heisman Trophy finalist - in his analysis, making him a tremendous asset for our team.''

Leaf told The AP on Saturday night that after he was released from prison in 2014 he tried to map out plans for his future and considered three paths: the entertainment industry, law school and sports casting. He took steps toward entering each one.

''I had a broadcast journalism degree from the Murrow School at Washington State so I had the ability to do it. Or at least the know-how. I just didn't know what I was going to do,'' Leaf said.

The 43-year-old Leaf, a native of Montana, said he reached out to former players who had made the transition to television such as Joel Klatt, Brady Quinn and Kirk Herbstreit and they allowed him to shadow them on assignments.

''I realized two things: I really wanted to do it and I really felt like I could do a good job at it,'' Leaf said.

Leaf credited Fox NFL reporter Jay Glazer for supporting and mentoring him as he attempted to enter the business, Steve Cohen, vice president of sports programming at SiriusXM, for building a show around him and ESPN coordinating producer for college football Ed Placey for guiding him through the process with the all-sports network.

Leaf shadowed ESPN's Greg McElroy, another former college quarterback who has been a hit on television, when he called the Washington State-Southern California game in Los Angeles last season. That led to an audition in March.

Leaf said he got the call from ESPN with the job offer about a month ago as he was driving to a meeting in Los Angeles. He lives in Southern California with his finance' and 21-month-old son.

''I had to pull off the side of the road. I was really emotional,'' Leaf said.

He expects to call games all over the country and do some studio shows. The road to recovery from addiction that looked so bleak at points for Leaf has turned into a feel-good story.

''Five years ago sitting in a prison cell I would have never imagined that I was going to be part of ESPN and the Disney Corporation,'' Leaf said. ''If you would have told me that I would have said you are absolutely crazy. And I can't believe it. I lay my head down every night with a ton of gratitude.''
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject:

How about this?

Props to Ryan Leaf for turning it all around. I hope he continues to trend up from here, I have heard him some on the radio and he is a pretty astute analyst (noticeably so) in my opinion.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
How about this?

Props to Ryan Leaf for turning it all around. I hope he continues to trend up from here, I have heard him some on the radio and he is a pretty astute analyst (noticeably so) in my opinion.

It's a remarkable story. Props to him for turning it around. Hope he stays sober and continues on the great path that he's now forged for himself.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
How about this?

It's a remarkable story. Props to him for turning it around. Hope he stays sober and continues on the great path that he's now forged for himself.

first, I am glad Ryan has got his life together, but when I read the announcement I did have a moment where I thought how unfair life is for some. The only thing good Ryan Leaf could do in life compared to a regular joe was play football. He has had many chances, ended up convicted of multiple felonies and been incarcerated multiple times....yet ESPN gives him a high profile job while they likely would not hire a regular guy with a felony to work in their mail room.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:04 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
How about this?

first, I am glad Ryan has got his life together, but when I read the announcement I did have a moment where I thought how unfair life is for some. The only thing good Ryan Leaf could do in life compared to a regular joe was play football. He has had many chances, ended up convicted of multiple felonies and been incarcerated multiple times....yet ESPN gives him a high profile job while they likely would not hire a regular guy with a felony to work in their mail room.

But he's walking the walk. He didn't just get out of jail and go on TV. By all accounts, not only is he committed to his sobriety (and I know, sometimes people relapse), but he has been a stalwart in terms of speaking engagements and spreading his message. I think he's doing really good work. For me, the TV analyst stuff is secondary. I just like what he's been doing with his life with this chance. Americans love a good comeback story, and this feels like one.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
How about this?

But he's walking the walk. He didn't just get out of jail and go on TV. By all accounts, not only is he committed to his sobriety (and I know, sometimes people relapse), but he has been a stalwart in terms of speaking engagements and spreading his message. I think he's doing really good work. For me, the TV analyst stuff is secondary. I just like what he's been doing with his life with this chance. Americans love a good comeback story, and this feels like one.

I was more pointing out the latter....the lifetime sentences society (and major corporations like Disney/ESPN) places on people that are not famous.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29212949/former-qb-ryan-leaf-arrested-domestic-battery-charge

Quote:
Former QB Ryan Leaf arrested on domestic battery charge

Former quarterback and current ESPN college football analyst Ryan Leaf was arrested Friday on a charge of misdemeanor domestic battery.

Leaf was arrested around 2 p.m. in Palm Desert, California, and booked into the Larry D. Smith Correctional Facility of the Riverside County Sheriff's Department, according to online jail records.

He was released Friday night on $5,000 bail, according to the records. His next court date is Sept. 25.

Leaf, 44, starred at Washington State and finished third in the Heisman Trophy voting in 1997, when he led the Cougars to the Rose Bowl.

He was the No. 2 overall draft pick of the San Diego Chargers in 1998 but had just a four-year NFL career before his personal life fell apart.

Leaf dealt with drug addiction and spent two years in prison after being arrested in 2012 for breaking into a home in his native Montana to steal prescription drugs and for violating a probation order out of Texas.

After his release, Leaf worked to recover and built a new career in sportscasting.

He was hired by ESPN ahead of the 2019 college football season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: