How confident are you that Paul George will sign with Lakers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How confident are you that Paul George will sign with Lakers?
Totally confident
22%
 22%  [ 39 ]
Very confident
31%
 31%  [ 54 ]
Somewhat confident
30%
 30%  [ 53 ]
Not very confident
8%
 8%  [ 15 ]
Not at all confident
5%
 5%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 171

Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject:

I think that the Lakers' chance to interest Paul George in signing here probably improved a bit in the post season, compared to last January. I don't know where it would stand overall, net-net. The Thunder do have a franchise cornerstone in Westbrook, an asset which the Lakers have no comparable piece to use to say come play with me.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Judah wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
I think our chance to sign George is higher than our chance to sign LMA or Droz or Love or any of the pipe dream FA”s we’ve been chasing over the past 3-5 years. At least we have some talent now, we have a vision and we appear to be headed towards .500 next season.

Also Mitch and Jim were not respected around the league as guys with savvy and the LMA meeting was a complete embarrassment, they actually sealed their fate with that. I feel that Rob specifically is extremely impressive, even if Magic and Luke aren’t so much. I have faith in him.

The actual chance of PG coming here isn’t geeat IMO...maybe 25%. Unless he has some overwhelming desire to play in LA, waiting for our youngsters to develop in a brutal conference probably isn’t where he wants to spend his prime. I’m pretty certain it’s not where Lebron wants his career to finish either. Maybe 10% on Lebron coming.

So there is a chance, because under Mitch and Jim I believe we had a 0% chance to land an impact FA’s. I’m expecting us to Reup Julius, maybe sign Alex Len or Noel or both, maybe we keep KCP...and we punt a max spot until next offseason. Maybe the stars will align, but I’m not getting my hopes up. If I’m PG and LBJ and I want to team up, I probably go to philly and the weak east.

Umm...so why did Indiana trade him again?

Because they could get the same production and less drama out of Victor Oladipo and they nailed down a solid prospect in Sabonis.

Also they traded him because he wasn't going to come back to Indiana as a free agent. Not because it was to the Lakers, but because he could go anywhere and they'd lose him for nothing. They made a smart decision.

Yeah, George wasn’t staying in Indiana...who were going nowhere. They traded him to get some value for a player who wasn’t in their long term plans, had nothing to do with his final destination.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject:

Pacers weren't being proactive, as in, being the impetus to get rid of PG13.

PG13 started it (which is why I think he ends up a Laker), and Pacers got a great deal with Dipo/Sabonis. We all mocked them for it and turns out OKC may be the one without a chair at the end.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Judah wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
I think our chance to sign George is higher than our chance to sign LMA or Droz or Love or any of the pipe dream FA”s we’ve been chasing over the past 3-5 years. At least we have some talent now, we have a vision and we appear to be headed towards .500 next season.

Also Mitch and Jim were not respected around the league as guys with savvy and the LMA meeting was a complete embarrassment, they actually sealed their fate with that. I feel that Rob specifically is extremely impressive, even if Magic and Luke aren’t so much. I have faith in him.

The actual chance of PG coming here isn’t geeat IMO...maybe 25%. Unless he has some overwhelming desire to play in LA, waiting for our youngsters to develop in a brutal conference probably isn’t where he wants to spend his prime. I’m pretty certain it’s not where Lebron wants his career to finish either. Maybe 10% on Lebron coming.

So there is a chance, because under Mitch and Jim I believe we had a 0% chance to land an impact FA’s. I’m expecting us to Reup Julius, maybe sign Alex Len or Noel or both, maybe we keep KCP...and we punt a max spot until next offseason. Maybe the stars will align, but I’m not getting my hopes up. If I’m PG and LBJ and I want to team up, I probably go to philly and the weak east.

Because they could get the same production and less drama out of Victor Oladipo and they nailed down a solid prospect in Sabonis.

Also they traded him because he wasn't going to come back to Indiana as a free agent. Not because it was to the Lakers, but because he could go anywhere and they'd lose him for nothing. They made a smart decision.

1) Oh wow, revisionist history from MJST! Whoever could’ve seen this coming?! Umm, no. The Pacers didn’t want to trade George. He wasn’t on the market. He made a distinct move that forced them to pursue a trade. And no one predicted Oladipo to play as well as he did this year, including Indiana. But per usual, you’re so desperate to support your agendas that you pathetically resort to revisionist history, as if the rest of us don’t remember what actually happened. Kareem still writing scouting reports or nah?

2) George was traded because he informed the Pacers he would leave after the season and wanted to sign with the Lakers. That’s factual. My point in challenging that poster was that George wanted to come to this team a year ago when the team was in the lottery. It makes zero sense to say that you can’t imagine him doing it. His willingness to do it was why he was traded in the first place. And they’re in a much better place now than they were at the time. You can believe that George isn’t coming, but that’s a poor reason. It’s unreasonable considering what happened that got us here.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
MJST wrote:
Judah wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:

1) Oh wow, revisionist history from MJST! Whoever could’ve seen this coming? Umm, no. The Pacers didnt want to trade George. He wasn’t on the market. He made a distinct move that forced them to pursue a trade. And no one predicted Oladipo to play as well as he did this year, including Indiana. But per usual, you’re so desperate to support your agendas that you pathetically resort to revisionist history. Kareem still writing scouting reports or nah?

2) George was traded because he informed the Pacers he would leave after the season and wanted to sign with the Lakers. That’s factual. My point in challenging that poster was that George wanted to come to this team a year ago when the team was in the lottery. It makes zero sense to say that you can’t imagine him doing it. His willingness to do it was why he was traded in the first place.

The answer to the question as to why the Pacers traded Paul George was to get rid of the drama they knew they wouldn't get with Victor Oladipo. The drama that would have hung over the team for the season that he was leaving would have just gotten worse. They got similar production and two solid young players in that deal without the drama and won.

Thats why they traded him. Anything else you try to bring up is irrelevant. So unless you disagree that they

1) got rid of him to rid themselves of the drama of George not coming back hanging over their team after this season. Oladipo wasn't gonna bring that drama and they got Sabonis who is a solid prospect and won the trade.

and

2) Because he could have left for anywhere in free agency, it was only certain he was leaving, thus they wanted to trade him as opposed to losing him for nothing.

Unless you disagree with either of those things, there's nothing further to discuss or get into with you.

Quote:
2) George was traded because he informed the Pacers he would leave after the season and wanted to sign with the Lakers. That’s factual. My point in challenging that poster was that George wanted to come to this team a year ago when the team was in the lottery. It makes zero sense to say that you can’t imagine him doing it. His willingness to do it was why he was traded in the first place.

It wasn't the fact it was the Lakers, it was that he was leaving in general after the season that got him traded. You essentially agreed with precisely what I said.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
MJST wrote:
Judah wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:

1) Oh wow, revisionist history from MJST! Whoever could’ve seen this coming?! Umm, no. The Pacers didn’t want to trade George. He wasn’t on the market. He made a distinct move that forced them to pursue a trade. And no one predicted Oladipo to play as well as he did this year, including Indiana. But per usual, you’re so desperate to support your agendas that you pathetically resort to revisionist history, as if the rest of us don’t remember what actually happened. Kareem still writing scouting reports or nah?

2) George was traded because he informed the Pacers he would leave after the season and wanted to sign with the Lakers. That’s factual. My point in challenging that poster was that George wanted to come to this team a year ago when the team was in the lottery. It makes zero sense to say that you can’t imagine him doing it. His willingness to do it was why he was traded in the first place. And they’re in a much better place now than they were at the time. You can believe that George isn’t coming, but that’s a poor reason. It’s unreasonable considering what happened that got us here.

I raise a glass to you!

Yup, to say Pacers proactively got out of PG13 is such a farce. If he had qualified for the super max, they probably pay him if he wanted to stay.

Given the hard choice of PG13 leaving for nothing or getting something in return, I'd say kudos to the Pacers for taking a gamble of Dipo. Remember, OKC traded him b/c at worst, they thought it would be getting out of a "bad" deal if PG13 left anyways.
mannydude34
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject:

First post in a long long time. I am extremely confident PG signs with the Lakers. Its basically 100%. Dude is coming. Hoping we can somehow manage Lebron and Kawhi. Doubtful but im hopeful man.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Judah wrote:
The Dagger wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
If he's the guy Lebron wants then I'm very confident.

I want Pg number one. My fear is Lebron will choose La with the condition we trade our youngsters for Kl. And we do not get Pg and we lose say Bi or Lonzo.

I don’t see that scenario playing out at all. It seems to assume that LeBron would sign before George, which is unlikely. It’s much more likely that George signs up first. I think the Lakers recognize that George is the key to getting LeBron. Who knows where the Lakers rank on LeBron’s list (CLE, LAL, HOU, PHI) at this point, but if they’re not first already, signing George would likely be the move that causes them to jump a team or two. That’s the game-changing move as far as a LeBron pursuit is concerned.

Why are you assuming one "needs" to sign before the other. JMO but I would think any of the free agents interested in signing with the Lakers will be talking beforehand.

In this case James and George would have a discussion well before the signing of either. Kind of a "are we doing this thing" moment. Do they want to play together? Does George want to be the "Man" or another sidekick that will get intense criticism if something goes wrong? Signing James will satisfy the front office with an over-hyped "Decision" reveal. George can go along for the ride.

I prefer the primary focus to be George. He fits what they have in place and project to be over the next couple seasons.

If they choose to sign James or trade for Leonard who knows where that path takes them. Those decisions change the dynamics of team building in dramatic fashion. Who the hell knows where that path leads?

I’m not “assuming” anything. It’s possible that if they want to play together it’s something they’ll discuss or have discussed already. But even if they do or have, we don’t know the nature of those discussions. George is the one who I could easily see coming on his own. What if he knows for sure that he wants to do it, but LeBron’s isn’t completely sure about his own decision about joining the Lakers? The point is that knowing for sure that George will be there is the single, most important thing for the Lakers to get LeBron. And I’m just going to ignore the rest of your post because whether you want LeBron or not is irrelevant.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Judah wrote:
MJST wrote:
Judah wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:

I raise a glass to you!

Yup, to say Pacers proactively got out of PG13 is such a farce. If he had qualified for the super max, they probably pay him if he wanted to stay.

Given the hard choice of PG13 leaving for nothing or getting something in return, I'd say kudos to the Pacers for taking a gamble of Dipo. Remember, OKC traded him b/c at worst, they thought it would be getting out of a "bad" deal if PG13 left anyways.

Right. It almost feels like an insult to our intelligence to completely rewrite something that happened less than a year ago and think we’re going to fall for it. We all know exactly what happened. This revisionism sounds like something you'd read on a Pacers forum.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject:

OK3 get bounced in the first round against the Utah... not the Dubs, not the Beard, not the Brow... We talkin bout practice...

He has the opportunity to be THE MAN of the Lakers in his prime, not the second or third option. We have a long team that runs opponents out of the gym, and a focus on defensive tenacity, with the youth to sustain it all game long for an entire season. We were just missing a consistent go-to all nba, all star scorer. We are the only team that has these complimentary pieces. And one last thing... no one’s chicharon tastes like mama’s chicharon fresh from the pan.

PG been wanting to come home. His patience is about to pay off.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject:

Screw it, going to put totally confident. It's not as if anyone is going to care if I turn out to be wrong
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:04 am    Post subject:

Was 90% when he was in Indy after the trade deadline last year. Have been 100% confident since he got traded to OKC.

Can't wait for July!
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject:

I wasn't convinced, but recently I heard that he took his daughter out of school early, and they moved back to Cali, IDK how real/true that was. The other motivating factor is his season with Westbrook and OKC pretty much played itself out. He wasn't fully engaged all year long, body-language is everything in this sport.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Judah wrote:
MJST wrote:
Judah wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:

I raise a glass to you!

Right. It almost feels like an insult to our intelligence to completely rewrite something that happened less than a year ago and think we’re going to fall for it. We all know exactly what happened. This revisionism sounds like something you'd read on a Pacers forum.

Oladipo was less likely a gamble than just about anyone else out there. Sure they might have seen his potential as a player, but he was also an instant fan favorite in Indiana going back to his college days. Pacers needed to make the best of a bad situation with PG and that's exactly what they did. Kudos to them. They have become my second favorite NBA team.

Regarding PG to the Lakers, I'm fairly confident it will happen, but in this upside down world we live in I've accepted that nothing is certain until it actually happens. I still haven't, and probably never will, recover from the 2016 election.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject:

[quote="MJST"]
Judah wrote:

Quote:

It wasn't the fact it was the Lakers, it was that he was leaving in general after the season that got him traded. You essentially agreed with precisely what I said.

According to June 2017 reports, George told the Pacers he intended to leave as a free agent and his preferred destination was the Lakers. After the trade to the Thunder, he continued to say he would have been happy to have been traded to the Lakers.

Of course, that was a year ago. We don't know his thinking now. We can't be sure that if he had been traded here that we would re-sign with us. That said, the people who are giving percentages of his chances of coming here are just pulling meaningless numbers out of thin air. He'll make his decision in July; until then, this is just reading tea leafs and passing time during the offseason.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: