The Utah Model
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
This is going to have a long term effect on team building in the NBA. No one, including the Lakers and the Knicks, will accept paying that sort of money on a sustained basis. This is the intended effect of the system. Super teams will be difficult to construct, and they will not last very long.

The owners are the ones that want the punitive penalties for spending....and there is a lot more of them that want to control market teams spending that there are big market teams.....not sure I see any changes in near future.

I agree. In the long run, I expect the system to accomplish its goal. There will still be super teams, but when the repeater tax kicks in, the pressure to break up the ream will be immense.
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject:

25-57
38-44
40-42
51-31

The Jazz over a four season span (the 51 wins being Gordon's final year)

Lakers:
17-65
26-56
35-47
xx-xx???

If the core is intact & no free agents come, I'm not expecting a 45-win team, more like 38-42 or so. Making the jump from bad to mediocre is "easy", making the jump from mediocre to "good" is the real test.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Boston is very similar to Utah as well. Currently on Boston's playoff roster, except for Horford, everyone else is making less than $5M. It's unreal how Brad Stevens has been able to make use of what little that he has. No fancy bonifide superstars needed and the team is going along quite well in the playoffs.

I wouldn't go that far. They just squeezed by a mediocre Bucks team 4-3 in the first round and they're steamrolling an inexperience 76ers team, most of whom are playing in their first playoffs ever, in the second round.

If their crew is able to challenge the Cavs, I'll be impressed. But my guess is they dearly miss Irving and Hayward right now. In fact, I'd say the theme of their season will be "what might have been" had their two max guys not gotten hurt.

Well we can only wait and see about the Cavs but 76ers looked like they were gonna represent the East when they beat the Heat in the first round.

Sure, most people predicted the 76ers would beat Boston, but a lot of that was based on how badly Boston did in the first round. Kind of shows you the first round doesn't necessary mean much in terms of what will happen next.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: