TV advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: TV advice

Need a new telly, wanna go at least 55", "get 4K" I've been told (my response, "WTH is that?"). I'm not too tech savvy in general. Wanna buy in the $1000 or less range. Only must haves I would say are the best pic quality I can get and a set that doesn't look "glarey" and over back-lit even at minimum settings. Anyone got a model within those general params that you think is the cat's meow? I need help. I need YOU to tell me what to do! Thx.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject:

IMO, go with Samsung. I have 4 flat panels ranging from 42” to 60” in my house and they are all Samsungs.

You can get one at Best Buy at 55” size for around $650 now.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Since your budget is under 1k, you already eliminated OLED TV's which have the best image possible. Just get something that is 4k HDR and the biggest screen size possible. Samsung, LG and Sony for name brand....Vizio is not bad either since they use those same panels.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject:

do what jb says

Last edited by Huey Lewis & The News on Mon May 07, 2018 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject:

You want the following if you aren't getting an OLED.

1. Full array local dimming.
2. High Contrast.'
3 4k/Smart is pretty much a given in any TV these days.,

That rules out every entry level model. In it's price point, the TCL 55P607 is hands down the best bang for the buck. Read up the reviews on it. Check out rtngs.com or any other review on this model. Also, Best Buy has their own variant (identical except a cheaper remote) called the TCL 55P605 for $599. Be advised they're updating this model this year.

In any event, I have a Samsung 55MU6300 in my bedroom and in comparison, it's not even close. You'd have to move up to the 8000 line to get local dimming like the 55P607. HDR is pretty much false advertising in these lower end models since the panel simply cannot display it. Doesn't matter the brand, it's all similar crap among Tv's of the same class. If none of this matters, I'd get the biggest option I can for the price. Even the bottom of the line TV's great these days. My sister got an LG 70" at Costco on sale for $999 2 years ago. It's fantastic, but like everything, there are levels.

Last edited by jonnybravo on Mon May 07, 2018 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
https://www.costco.com/Vizio-55%22-Class-(54.6%22-Diag.)-4K-Ultra-HD-XLED-Pro-Home-Theater-Display.product.100369673.html

Vizio is solid. Not the top of the top that Samsung is. But it's a great looking TV for the next 6-8 years and you'll have a couple of bucks leftover towards a sound bar or blu ray player or something.

That TV you linked has a panel is on an entirely different tier than any Samsung below the 8000 line.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
https://www.costco.com/Vizio-55%22-Class-(54.6%22-Diag.)-4K-Ultra-HD-XLED-Pro-Home-Theater-Display.product.100369673.html

Vizio is solid. Not the top of the top that Samsung is. But it's a great looking TV for the next 6-8 years and you'll have a couple of bucks leftover towards a sound bar or blu ray player or something.

That TV you linked has a panel is on an entirely different tier than any Samsung below the 8000 line.

edited
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Go oled @ $1200, or go big or get the TCL @ costco
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject:

I have the TCL and am happy with it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject:

I got a pretty nice deal on a 55" LG- 4K UHD HDR- Smart TV back around Black Friday. Target had a $100 off coupon for purchases OVER $300. I was able to combine it with another discount along with a 15% team member reduction and paid like $375 Total.

Crazy savings and the upgrade from my old 40" LCD was considerable.

If you're not planning on streaming 4K content or buying 4K movies. (You'll need a 4k player or xbox one) then 4k isn't completely necessary. But you might as well spend an extra few bucks and have the option for down the road. To KIND OF explain it.... 4k is basically like the upgrade in picture quality that DVD to BluRay was, back in the day.

I have an XBox One S and the quality with 4K movies is great. You just really have to tweak your settings. Most TVs by default have that weird Tru Motion (or whatever its called) that makes the picture kind of look "weird". At least I think it looks weird. Turn that off if you like and really dig into the settings to get the best picture quality.

Also, one thing that gets overlooked is the number of HDMI inputs the TV has and WHERE they are located. Make sure you have enough ports to accomodate all of your devices. Additionally, only one or two of the HDMI ports may have HDR function, so make sure you plug the right devices into the appropriate ports. Do your research and try to check out the TV on display to see how u like it, if possible.

One of the best functions is the "Smart TV" availability. One push of a button and I'm on Netflix or Hulu or Prime. I can download additional apps as well and access youtube or Pandora. Before I would have to fire up my PS or Xbox and wait for it to load and everything... now its literally up and running in seconds. (When you just GOTTA start watching that movie immediately) instant gratification.

Happy hunting.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, gents, good info JB and PLAT. On second thought, I'm gonna do some research on OLEDs. I'm probably going to swing that direction if it's gonna make a notable diff. I'd much rather pay more for a set that I'm going to have zero qualms or remorse about after the fact. I don't wanna have to gradually accept or acclimate to an issue that annoys me just cus I limited my options. I'm not personally getting all the raves about smart TVs yet, but I might be underestimating the convenience, but bear in mind I'm like Fred Flinstone when it comes to any techy sh. I'm finally getting rid of my iphone 5s after 5 years. Only thing I know for sure that I want is gloss, dark darks, black blacks, contrast, depth, minimal glare and none of the over-backlit appearance that I've seen in almost all of the panels my friends/family have.

Johny B, you got any takes on OLEDs I should look at first?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Darn, I don't know if they're still in stock but Fry's was clearing out the 65" C7 and B7 OLEDS for $1399 which is an absolute steal.

Go on slickdeals and set up a deal alert. I've seen a 55" as low as $999 a few weeks back from TigerDirect. Be patient but ready to jump. You'll know if a deal is great by the rating's users give the deal.

As far as smart TV's...don't worry, any TV you'll be looking at will have built in smart TV features these days. It's unavoidable. You'll appreciate the convenience.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject:

I say go to best buy and see in your preference if a $1000 fancy pants 55" tv is worth the premium over a basic 55" 4K tv which can go on sale for under $300.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Do the budget TV's still use low bitrate 4k panels?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
I say go to best buy and see in your preference if a $1000 fancy pants 55" tv is worth the premium over a basic 55" 4K tv which can go on sale for under $300.

Man. Pretty crazy that $1,000 can get you a fancy pants TV these days.

Think i paid $2,800 for my first 50” DLP way back.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject:

I love LG for stuff like this.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Man. Pretty crazy that $1,000 can get you a fancy pants TV these days.

Think i paid $2,800 for my first 50” DLP way back.

DLP? Thats still relatively new....I remember when a Mitsubishi 60" rear projection TV was a couple of thousand bucks and that was supposed to be the TV of choice for well off people. Not only that but that thing weighed a couple hundred pounds compared to a lightweight DLP TV.
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject:

My OLED is the shiznit but I am ready to move on to a newer one. I have the LG (ha!) 55 EC9300. Is my first OLED and still when friends come over they cant believe how good it is and thinner than the average smart phone and crazy energy efficient. It looks good even when its turned off. I've probably encouraged 4 or 5 of my pals to buy one already.

Gonna sell my current one soon. I want to size up to 65".
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject:

dubaholic1 wrote:
My OLED is the shiznit but I am ready to move on to a newer one. I have the LG (ha!) 55 EC9300. Is my first OLED and still when friends come over they cant believe how good it is and thinner than the average smart phone and crazy energy efficient. It looks good even when its turned off. I've probably encouraged 4 or 5 of my pals to buy one already.

Gonna sell my current one soon. I want to size up to 65".

Was able to find only one OLED as advised above at 1500 range (soundbar not included). An LG (ha!) 55 OLED. I might've waited for an even better price, but I was Jonesing. Shoulda started looking around earlier. Anyway, got it a couple weeks ago. It thankfully meets or exceeds what I was hoping to get in a telly when I opened this thread. You bros called it. On especially nice film transfers, the pic quality is frightening. I was watching Predator 1 on HBO and the sky/sunlight looked completely natural as in what you'd see if you actually went outside, not the way it looks in a movie in standard def. The shots of the forest floor and leaves were staggeringly clear. Literally looks like you're standing there on site watching live filming and then you remind yourself that they're all old buggers now and Billy's dead (his death happened off camera...). I saw that movie a hundred times including opening day and it's never looked anywhere close to that.

That said, that is a movie on HBO demand. There are other channels that use crappy feeds or aspect ratios. However, it's still bizarre watching most movies no matter how old they are. They played the first Friday 13th from 1980 and the background/foliage/roads/cement/brick/etc details were redonk for a movie that old. It is a timewarper watching something 38 yrs old that has definition worthy of today. Kevin Bacon looked no older than 20 in that flick, btw. High def on Kevin Bacon's 80s face? Yikes!
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject:

^ Hell yeah! Enjoy!
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject:

Step 1: Identify a wall in your house to project on
Step 2: Paint said wall black
Step 3: Get a projector
Step 4: Send pictures so I can live vicariously through you because you're a hero
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
I have the TCL and am happy with it.

Not the first person that has recently told me the were very happy with their TCL television. I have not bought a television in a few years, but was walking through Wal Mart late one night a couple months ago, and they had 55" 4K TCL televisions stacked in a center isle for $348. Like I said, have not shopped televisions in a couple years, but that low price surprised me.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject:

TCL is a Thai brand and nobody in Thailand buys them but the very cheap. About a year ago I was going to buy a 55 inch TCL and my wife begged me to let her make up the about 200 dollar difference between that and a pretty nice LG. Right after I bought it a friend who bought one (TCL) for her son had it go belly up. My wife felt vindicated and I got the LG upgrade as a birthday gift!
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:21 am    Post subject:

I bought a LG OLED65B7A over memorial weekend. Amazon had them for $1700+. The 55" was $1200+ if I remember correctly. It's the best TV I've ever had. It looks so damn good.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
TCL is a Thai brand and nobody in Thailand buys them but the very cheap. About a year ago I was going to buy a 55 inch TCL and my wife begged me to let her make up the about 200 dollar difference between that and a pretty nice LG. Right after I bought it a friend who bought one (TCL) for her son had it go belly up. My wife felt vindicated and I got the LG upgrade as a birthday gift!

TCL is Chinese, not Thai.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: