Why do people speed up to block you from changing lanes when they see your turn signal?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Has this happened to you before?
Yes, all the time.
45%
 45%  [ 21 ]
Yes, occasionally.
43%
 43%  [ 20 ]
Yes, rarely.
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
No, never.
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 46

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
happens all the time. I dont put on my signal until I see an opening to not give a driver a chance to close off the space.

I throw on my blinker when they are in my blind spot and pretend I don't see them. Let the blinker click 3 to 4 times and edge close to the line.. It freaks the other driver out and makes them make a decision. Whether it's speeding up or slowing down. It's funny and effective.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject:

I speed up, turn on my blinker, let them pass and merge behind.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject:

People do this pretty often. I used to just speed up and beat them to the spot. Now I don’t really care and I’ll just get behind them when they speed up. I still have the mustang so I can drop the hammer if needed.

But like GtR said I don’t want to be THAT guy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Legit.. driving like Mr Magoo saves money on car insurance and
blood pressure
all other stress levels
etc

I usually just relax and go with the flow when most possible

Drive like you don't have insurance
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
It's funny because I wonder why people try to cut in at the last second instead of taking the safer route and missing the exit and taking the next one.

The thought process he/she who speeds up is that you're enforcing courtesy and "educating" by way of creating consequence.

If cutting others off is always rewarded, there is never an incentive to be more mindful of others.

Like they say in Team Ameria. The world is full of "P", "D", and "A". The "A" people try to cut in. The "P" people just bend over and let them.

Sometimes, you need a "D" to hold off the "A" because the "P" won't do it.

that bold part is something i dont get either. especially for drivers in los angeles. its one city where you can miss an exit, get off a half of a mile later, turn and go across the fwy underpass get back on the fwy going the opposite direction and there's your original exist. it would take you maybe 5 mins to pull off in L.A. now it is true you try this stunt in some other cities in different states. you could end up 5 miles away from your original destination. either because the next exit is so far way from your original exist or when you get off. there is no on ramp for the fwy in the opposite direction to go back towards your original exit. now you have to drive around looking for one.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
It's funny because I wonder why people try to cut in at the last second instead of taking the safer route and missing the exit and taking the next one.

The thought process he/she who speeds up is that you're enforcing courtesy and "educating" by way of creating consequence.

If cutting others off is always rewarded, there is never an incentive to be more mindful of others.

Like they say in Team Ameria. The world is full of "P", "D", and "A". The "A" people try to cut in. The "P" people just bend over and let them.

Sometimes, you need a "D" to hold off the "A" because the "P" won't do it.

that bold part is something i dont get either. especially for drivers in los angeles. its one city where you can miss an exit, get off a half of a mile later, turn and go across the fwy underpass get back on the fwy going the opposite direction and there's your original exist. it would take you maybe 5 mins to pull off in L.A. now it is true you try this stunt in some other cities in different states. you could end up 5 miles away from your original destination. either because the next exit is so far way from your original exist or when you get off. there is no on ramp for the fwy in the opposite direction to go back towards your original exit. now you have to drive around looking for one.

they do it on purpose because they are selfish jerks who want to cutoff as many cars as possible as if they are the only people with somewhere important to go.
I even see cars pass up on a very easy cutoff gap pretty close to an exit to force their way in a much tighter gap only a few more cars ahead.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Stadium Way barbarians

https://i.imgur.com/k34ZM7K.jpg
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:07 am    Post subject:

I drive in the left lane and use the zipper method whenever there is a construction-induced closure/merge into the right lane. Invariably, right-lane drivers (especially truckers) are bold enough to straddle both lanes so no one can pass them. Even when the "merge now" sign is well off in the distance up ahead. These so-called polite right-laners are doing something illegal to prevent me from doing something legal.

I hate it when the zipper gets stuck.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject:

Lakers#1Team wrote:
I drive in the left lane and use the zipper method whenever there is a construction-induced closure/merge into the right lane. Invariably, right-lane drivers (especially truckers) are bold enough to straddle both lanes so no one can pass them. Even when the "merge now" sign is well off in the distance up ahead. These so-called polite right-laners are doing something illegal to prevent me from doing something legal.

The zipper method only works in theory and in computer simulations when people are driving the same speed. And so for the most part, it works in a congestion situation.

I think the OP is talking about when there is no congestion (since drivers can’t speed up to block you when it is congested). When there is no congestion, I will block depending on the situation. For instance, if I am in an exit only lane, have no one behind me, a short distance to the exit and some street racer on my back left wants to speed up try to squeeze in at the last second rather than just merge into the free space behind me.

When the traffic is free flowing, I do not believe it is best to try to get in at the very last second which is what zipper method implies but rather, get in at the very first safe opportunity.
I Bleed P&G
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject:

Ok so last night at about midnight so no traffic what so ever. The driver is zipping by everyone on the highway and must be traveling 20+ speed of traffic in the 3rd lane as he approaches the vehicle ahead of him he doesn't change lane or slow down and gets all up on the ass of driver ahead of him! you know why? Because the fast aka far left lane was empty but had double white lines. I was thinking so it's ok to be traveling 90+ but not ok to cross double white lines. Just when he started riding the car in front of him the carpool lane ends and he signaled before he moved over. I had a good chuckle.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject:

Lakers#1Team wrote:

in some situations its a necessary evil because the merging lane often gets abused by drivers already on the freeway. Ive seen it countless times where the through traffic lane is crawling at a near standstill because there's an endless wave of traffic jumping into the merge lane to get a free 1/4 mile boost at the expense of everyone else (legit on ramp freeway traffic is mitigated by the on ramp green/red lights). I dont do it (until the merge lane ends then yes Im definitely blocking mergers who try to cut off several more cars while the lane is still wide of enough for them to squeeze through) but I dont mind anyone who does.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
Lakers#1Team wrote:

in some situations its a necessary evil because the merging lane often gets abused by drivers already on the freeway. Ive seen it countless times where the through traffic lane is crawling at a near standstill because there's an endless wave of traffic jumping into the merge lane to get a free 1/4 mile boost at the expense of everyone else (legit on ramp freeway traffic is mitigated by the on ramp green/red lights). I dont do it (until the merge lane ends then yes Im definitely blocking mergers who try to cut off several more cars while the lane is still wide of enough for them to squeeze through) but I dont mind anyone who does.

My blood pressure spiked just reading this thread. I see this kind of crap every day.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Does anyone know of the recent relaxation of any laws which could've led to this influx of jerry rigged hauling trucks on socal freeways? These monstrosities are usually a super duty pickup like a F250, though I've seen some early 2000s tacomas that were barely holding together. The beds I've seen had various, yet uniformly unsafe constructs to increase their carrying capacity, from plywood boards to corrugated metal; anything to match the vehicle's practical height to its length. They look like sandcrawlers with junk radiators and used mattresses jouncing about the top of the load, and have created surprise obstacle courses/trimmings for many wheel wells. I notice them most often on the 710, 605, 91, and 5 freeways.

Last edited by Huey Lewis & The News on Mon May 07, 2018 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Does anyone know of the recent relaxation of any laws which could've led to this influx of jerry rigged hauling trucks on socal freeways? These monstrosities are usually a super duty pickup like a F250, though I've seen some early 2000s tacomas that were barely holding together. The beds I've seen had various, yet uniformly unsafe constructs to increase their carrying capacity, from plywood boards to corrugated metal; anything to make the match the vehicle's practical height to its length. They look like sandcrawlers with junk radiators and used mattresses jouncing about the top of the load, and have created surprise obstacle courses/trimmings for many wheel wells. I notice them most often on the 710, 605, 91, and 5 freeways.

lmao
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Does anyone know of the recent relaxation of any laws which could've led to this influx of jerry rigged hauling trucks on socal freeways? These monstrosities are usually a super duty pickup like a F250, though I've seen some early 2000s tacomas that were barely holding together. The beds I've seen had various, yet uniformly unsafe constructs to increase their carrying capacity, from plywood boards to corrugated metal; anything to make the match the vehicle's practical height to its length. They look like sandcrawlers with junk radiators and used mattresses jouncing about the top of the load, and have created surprise obstacle courses/trimmings for many wheel wells. I notice them most often on the 710, 605, 91, and 5 freeways.

lmao

pic related

https://i.imgur.com/Ptiu0JQ.jpg
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject:

The absolute worst 2 hours (felt like 10) of my life -while driving- was last summer, on the 5 FWY driving INTO Mexico. As soon as we got to within maybe 5 miles of the border... all hell broke loose.

There were cars coming in from all angles... merging was next to impossible. I was SUPPOSED to follow behind a friend... and all was well up until that point. But within seconds his car was nowhere to be found. I gave up trying to do anything except stay in my lane and just avoid getting side swiped or rear ended. No regard for any kind of traffic rules whatsoever. There were cars literally facing the opposite direction at times trying to switch lanes. Unreal..I never want to go thru that again.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject:

intersection blockers

https://i.imgur.com/fwjGhDh.jpg

a case for genocide
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject:

^There is a special place in hell for such cretins.

I imagine they will spend all of eternity in a never ending DMV line.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
^There is a special place in hell for such cretins.

I imagine they will spend all of eternity in a never ending DMV line.

Also in some states there's a $200 to $400 dollar fine for blocking a intersection.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject:

intersection blockers

a case for genocide

Yep. I have one busy intersection that I have to drive through every morning, and every day there is some (bleep) who goes through knowing they will never clear the intersection.

There's never a cop to give them a ticket, which makes me wish we had murder cards go dole out to such arrogant, inconsiderate vermin. If you can't conduct yourself as a decent member of society, then society shlould have the option to eliminate you.

Sure, it's just a small issue involving traffic flow. But the small things matter immensely.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
intersection blockers

a case for genocide

Yep. I have one busy intersection that I have to drive through every morning, and every day there is some (bleep) who goes through knowing they will never clear the intersection.

There's never a cop to give them a ticket, which makes me wish we had murder cards go dole out to such arrogant, inconsiderate vermin. If you can't conduct yourself as a decent member of society, then society shlould have the option to eliminate you.

Sure, it's just a small issue involving traffic flow. But the small things matter immensely.

Agree

is it this one?

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject:

It's so much worse in other countries, but I don't understand why different parts of WeHo have to be that terrible.

Also, when the light turns green, sometimes I'll wait the extra 2 seconds and look both ways. Legit saved me from 4 different accidents. The last guy trying to beat the red is always delayed and doesn't even floor it hard enough.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
It's so much worse in other countries, but I don't understand why different parts of WeHo have to be that terrible.

Also, when the light turns green, sometimes I'll wait the extra 2 seconds and look both ways. Legit saved me from 4 different accidents. The last guy trying to beat the red is always delayed and doesn't even floor it hard enough.

Beating a red light doesn't make sense to me. Average time for a red light is around 120 seconds. You may have to sit for 2 minutes. Try to beat one, kill someone, live with it a lifetime.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Beating a red light doesn't make sense to me. Average time for a red light is around 120 seconds. You may have to sit for 2 minutes. Try to beat one, kill someone, live with it a lifetime.

You haven't seen the 2 second green lights yet?

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

You haven't seen the 2 second green lights yet?

Yeah, meant heeding caution. People see the caution, have plenty of time to stop but run it.

If you hit the crossing just before it goes red it's dangerous. I, like you, wait, look both ways before entering the intersection.

One instant comes to mind. I leaving a gated community. The light turned green. I didn't go right away. Good thing I didn't. A car came barreling through the intersection going, I'm guessing, around 50 mph. Had I entered the intersection I may have been seriously injured if not killed.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: