Google Assistant to make reservations for you

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Google Assistant to make reservations for you

Took a look at their demo, and was amazed at how lifelike the AI voices were...I don't think it's available yet, but very impressive what they have so far.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/8/17332070/google-assistant-makes-phone-call-demo-duplex-io-2018

Here's a couple more audio samples:

https://ai.googleblog.com/2018/05/duplex-ai-system-for-natural-conversation.html
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject:

That was simultaneously amazing and terrifying.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Telemarketers that haven’t been replaced by robocallers are also going to be put out of a job. That tech could make robocallers just as effective as human telemarketers at running through their script with contextual responses based on context.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Whats interesting is that this is only for the people making reservations with businesses, and not the businesses, themselves (i.e. the restaurant or hair salon taking the reservation). I can see how something like this would be really sought after by businesses, as they would always have someone to answer the phone and schedule the reservations/appointments, and could potentially hire less people.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Oh, it’s for businesses too. Even Google talks about how they can make millions of calls simultaneously to get updated holiday hours for all google searches. Businesses will pay a lot for this. The future is going to be so incredible.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
Oh, it’s for businesses too. Even Google talks about how they can make millions of calls simultaneously to get updated holiday hours for all google searches. Businesses will pay a lot for this. The future is going to be so incredible.

If our ecosystem can withstand all the water demands we are placing on it
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:

No, it's not...I just said businesses would like to have it, and I don't blame them.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject:

There will probably be some sort of disclaimer at some point to tell you when you are talking to a real human or just a bot or something in the future.

Bye.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject:

this is amazing
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
this is amazing

The technology is incredibly impressive, but I think it suggests a troubling future.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
this is amazing

The technology is incredibly impressive, but I think it suggests a troubling future.

no social interaction whatsoever
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
ocho wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
this is amazing

That is a real concern but it goes beyond that. The more industries we wipe out with AI, the more people get left behind. People mean less and less with each generation and not everyone can be a coder. It's just going to lead to more inequality and an agitated working class with few opportunities. We have already seen this play out and it'll only get worse.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Telemarketers that haven’t been replaced by robocallers are also going to be put out of a job. That tech could make robocallers just as effective as human telemarketers at running through their script with contextual responses based on context.
shoot they might be better than the real humans at the telemarketing. lol. yeah its a wrap for them for sure after this. "basic income" inching closer and closer.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
ocho wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
this is amazing

We're gonna be dating our apps against an urban Chinese backdrop as in the movie "Her".
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
22 wrote:
ocho wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
this is amazing

That is a real concern but it goes beyond that. The more industries we wipe out with AI, the more people get left behind. People mean less and less with each generation and not everyone can be a coder. It's just going to lead to more inequality and an agitated working class with few opportunities. We have already seen this play out and it'll only get worse.

It begins with manual labor jobs.

Then you upload Gray's Anatomy into a droid and suddenly you've got a cheap way to mass produce health care workers without spending a fortune putting someone through years of schooling/insane hours.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
22 wrote:
ocho wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
this is amazing

We're gonna be dating our apps against an urban Chinese backdrop as in the movie "Her".

I thought of that movie too when I watched the clip haha
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
22 wrote:
ocho wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
this is amazing

Yeah, the combination of AI and automation is going to devastate the labor market. There’s almost no job a robot will not be able to do.
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
shoot they might be better than the real humans at the telemarketing. lol. yeah its a wrap for them for sure after this. "basic income" inching closer and closer.
Basic Income eh? wonder how far away that is..
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ocho wrote:
22 wrote:
ocho wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
this is amazing

Yeah, the combination of AI and automation is going to devastate the labor market. There’s almost no job a robot will not be able to do.

I doubt it would happen but I hope in that auomated future, there is a universal basic income and humans are free to start expanding hte arts/research etc. Maybe usher in a new renaissance.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ocho wrote:
22 wrote:
ocho wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
this is amazing

I doubt it would happen but I hope in that auomated future, there is a universal basic income and humans are free to start expanding hte arts/research etc. Maybe usher in a new renaissance.

You're a wishful soul JB
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject:

What happens when we have to start deciding how to ration electricity for the betterment of our future

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: