Was Mitchell or Porzingod the bigger miss from our FO?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:54 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
Tatum and Mitchell are misses. Definitely would have taken them over Lonzo looking back on it. That's not to say Zo won't be great I just enjoy the style of play that Mitchell and Tatum have more and I think they are much further along in their development.

Agree. Either would have been great for LAL's but Tatum was the
one closet to the top three at the time so, I'd say he could have
been a great target. In that case Ingram or a FA would have played
the point; but developing Ingram there would have be interesting.

Hindsight...
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject:

The entire 2015 class (at least the top 10) is (obviously, in retrospect) disappointing. Mudiay and Okafor might not even be in the league next season. Kaminsky, Super Mario... heck, even Porzingis for all his talent and potential has been injury prone.

I haven't waded through all 11 pages of this topic, but Devin Booker may have been the bigger miss. Who knows how BScott would've broken his psyche and if playing more off-the-ball in Kobe's last season would have developed his game differently. I find it a more interesting what-if than Porzingis.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject:

We are on the cusp of getting 2 max players, possibly keeping most of our promising young core.

I choose to believe in the long game, and while we may have gotten so-and-so at #2 in 2015/16/17, we are really close to being a contending team next year or the year after.
omzzzzz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject:

I always find these discussions on missed draft picks very amusing in hindsight. If either one of these two guys were drafted where the Lakers were picking AT THE TIME, every member of the front office would be fired, and most of you would burn down Staples Center.

In Mitchell we're not talking about a guy anyone would consider in the top 10 AT THE TIME. In Porzingas, nobody even wanted him....not even the Knicks, who tried to trade out of that slot. He just fell into their lap. Sometimes risks payoff, and it was just easier for the Jazz and Knicks to take those risks given where they were picking.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject:

omzzzzz wrote:
I always find these discussions on missed draft picks very amusing in hindsight. If either one of these two guys were drafted where the Lakers were picking AT THE TIME, every member of the front office would be fired, and most of you would burn down Staples Center.

In Mitchell we're not talking about a guy anyone would consider in the top 10 AT THE TIME. In Porzingas, nobody even wanted him....not even the Knicks, who tried to trade out of that slot. He just fell into their lap. Sometimes risks payoff, and it was just easier for the Jazz and Knicks to take those risks given where they were picking.

x1000
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject:

After watching 3/4ths of Cavs-Celtics game 1, maybe we can add Brown & Tatum to that list. I still have faith in Slenderman & that Ball Boy though...
Yama
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject:

if we had brown or tatum, guarantee they wouldn't look this good,and ball and ingram would look a lot better, so idk if we should feel that bad about missing out on them
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Yama wrote:
if we had brown or tatum, guarantee they wouldn't look this good,and ball and ingram would look a lot better, so idk if we should feel that bad about missing out on them

It did cross my mind that people playing under Stevens buys into the system. We had quite a few young guys who wanted to "eat first" the past two seasons. I think guys have started to buy into what Luke is selling though. So we'll see.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject:

What the Lakers could have done was squeeze some assets from the Celtics by taking Tatum and then swap. Lonzo didn't work out for the Celtics, his dad wants no part of the Celtics. And if Ainge doesn't bite, then we just keep Tatum. But the Lakers showed their hands from day 1.

I'm fine with Lonzo in this "marathon" race.
Christopher Walken
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Was Mitchell or Porzingod the bigger miss from our FO?
Possibly best starting two overall?
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I can't believe that our FO doesn't have the ability to see into the future. Is it really that hard to predict things with 100% accuracy? I win the lottery like every week, easy peasy
Corey78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject:

I am a big Mitchell fan. He is made out of the right stuff. I love his attitude.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
What the Lakers could have done was squeeze some assets from the Celtics by taking Tatum and then swap. Lonzo didn't work out for the Celtics, his dad wants no part of the Celtics. And if Ainge doesn't bite, then we just keep Tatum. But the Lakers showed their hands from day 1.

That would have been nice to see unfold on draft day. Lakers shock everyone and take Tatum and force Ainge to give up the farm after Lavar goes on a tirade after Lonzo is selected next.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject:

definitely Porzingis... Lakers are just terrible when it comes to the draft...
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Actually what’s scary is we took Ingram 1 pick ahead of Brown then took Ball 1 pick ahead of Tatum. Seeing how much those 2 are contributing in the ECF kinda hurts

Zubac
Randle
Tatum
Brown
Russell

Looks much better than

Randle
Kuzma
Ingram
KCP
Ball
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:

Lol, says the guy that was apoplectic we didn’t take Okafor...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Drifts wrote:

If we took Oak, we'd still be saddled with Moz. At least DLO was able to get us off of Moz, get Brook, and a 1st rounder.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject:

Porzingis is unquestionably a major talent. The problem is the guy can't stay on the floor. He's appeared in 186 out of a possible 246 games. Lots of injury problems leading up to his disastrous injury this season. The Knicks are already cautioning their fans that he may miss the entirety of the 2018-19 season.

If he can't get healthy and stay healthy, not drafting him was a blessing.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
Porzingis is unquestionably a major talent. The problem is the guy can't stay on the floor. He's appeared in 186 out of a possible 246 games. Lots of injury problems leading up to his disastrous injury this season. The Knicks are already cautioning their fans that he may miss the entirety of the 2018-19 season.

If he can't get healthy and stay healthy, not drafting him was a blessing.

Yeah. Showed a lot of flashes but a major knee injury for a guy that big isn't promising.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Drifts wrote:

Lol yep

Randle
Kuzma
Hart
BI
Nance
Clarkson
Lonzo

All good picks given their draft position.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Drifts wrote:

If we took Oak, we'd still be saddled with Moz. At least DLO was able to get us off of Moz, get Brook, and a 1st rounder.

They wouldn't have signed Mozgov if they drafted Oak. The rest is spot on though.

I have to say that I'm a little jealous of Brown and Tatum though, those are two really good young players. I'll keep the faith in our guys though, because I'm a fan of BI, and I knew going in that Zo would kind of be a boom or bust pick, and even the numbers show what a difference he makes on the floor already at such a young age. I'd love to have a Tatum or Brown on the wings beside BI though. That would be stellar.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Drifts wrote:

They wouldn't have signed Mozgov if they drafted Oak. The rest is spot on though.

I have to say that I'm a little jealous of Brown and Tatum though, those are two really good young players. I'll keep the faith in our guys though, because I'm a fan of BI, and I knew going in that Zo would kind of be a boom or bust pick, and even the numbers show what a difference he makes on the floor already at such a young age. I'd love to have a Tatum or Brown on the wings beside BI though. That would be stellar.

I think BI would flourish under Stevens. Maybe Tatum cause he could be your number 1 option under any system or roster although Kuz could have some potential too so I'm not too distressed compared to missing out on Porzingis or Booker.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Yeah, I can't believe that our FO doesn't have the ability to see into the future. Is it really that hard to predict things with 100% accuracy? I win the lottery like every week, easy peasy

Are you being paid to win the lottery?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

That would have been nice to see unfold on draft day. Lakers shock everyone and take Tatum and force Ainge to give up the farm after Lavar goes on a tirade after Lonzo is selected next.

The Celtics wouldn’t have traded down if they thought we would pick Tatum, they had him at #1.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject:

You can't fault them for either of those two players. You CAN fault them for Ball over Tatum, especially with all the flags Lonzo had coming into the draft. Ainge knew Tatum was the best prospect of the top 5 talents and moved down all while gaining another piece in the process. Ainge outplayed Magic on draft night.

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13
Jump to: