OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1021, 1022, 1023 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
FT shooting
Outside shooting
layups
post moves
handles

Honestly the crazy part is how many players have vastly improved those attributes as their careers went on, but never got close to Lonzo's vision/passing and defense.

Which makes it perplexing. You don't need to work on vision. You just have it. He's probably had it since he started playing bball.

You don't need to work on bball IQ. Some people just see the game better than others.

So what's he been doing w/ his time?

So false. So, incredibly false.

To elaborate. Vision goes beyond passing to the open man. Vision is also, recognizing a situation and making the correct move accordingly.

This really sticks out in that game winning 3 of Ingram vs. the 76ers. Lonzo had the ball past halfcourt. Waited for BI to cross, passed him the ball. Got the ball back, saw Embiid was out of position on defense, and immediately did a drive and kick to Ingram for the open shot.

5 seconds before that happens, you even see Lonzo point it out. That's some speed reading.

This part of the vid doesn't show the recognition before hand, but it definitely shows Embiid lost and recovering to Lonzo...

Alright it's false then. But I'm not sure how your example differs than what I'm trying to say. I'm saying Lonzo has that gift to speed read, to dissect a play in his head, to see a play develop before it develops. It's not something he does drills on to improve.

But, anyone saying Lonzo needs to work on his vision this offseason? Or last offseason?

Can you think of a player that actually improved on their vision after they came into the league?

Westbrook? He racks up a bunch of assists, but how's his vision?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject:

7/2017 - Calf injury (summer league)
10/2017 - Ankle injury (pre season)
12/2017 - Shoulder injury
1/2018 - Sprained MCL
4/2018 - Knee contusion
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

But, anyone saying Lonzo needs to work on his vision this offseason? Or last offseason?

It's more like, he has the gift of vision, and it's a natural talent. He took all of HS and NCAA to understand what to do when he makes those reads.

Quote:

Can you think of a player that actually improved on their vision after they came into the league?

How big of a list do you want?

Wilt Chamberlain
Bill Russell
Shaquille O'Neal
Tim Duncan
Kevin Garnett

That's about 5 bigmen off the top of my head.

Point guards... Hm.

Stephen Curry
James Harden
Russell Westbrook. Can't just rack up a bunch of assists without knowing who is open, even if it's just drive and kick. Need to see that before it happens.
Donovan Mitchell (just within the season)
Terry Rozier

Even Kris Dunn is on his way.

Wings? That's a massive list, so I'll just say Kobe Bryant and Tracy McGrady.

About James Harden. Assist % can help indicate how well a player finds the open man, but it says nothing about how advanced the reads are.

But watching that assist % from rookie year to end of last year, is just absurd.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/hardeja01.html

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

It's more like, he has the gift of vision, and it's a natural talent. He took all of HS and NCAA to understand what to do when he makes those reads.

Quote:

Wilt Chamberlain
Bill Russell
Shaquille O'Neal
Tim Duncan
Kevin Garnett

Point guards... Hm.

Stephen Curry
James Harden
Russell Westbrook. Can't just rack up a bunch of assists without knowing who is open, even if it's just drive and kick. Need to see that before it happens.
Terry Rozier

About James Harden. Assist % can help indicate how well a player finds the open man, but it says nothing about how advanced the reads are.

But watching that assist % from rookie year to end of last year, is just absurd.

Yeah, if Westbrook is someone who's considered to have vision then I'm going to bow out of this conversation.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Wilt Chamberlain
Bill Russell
Shaquille O'Neal
Tim Duncan
Kevin Garnett

Point guards... Hm.

Stephen Curry
James Harden
Terry Rozier

Yeah, if Westbrook is someone who's considered to have vision then I'm going to bow out of this conversation.

Go back and watch him at UCLA. His improvement is undeniable.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject:

C'mon, he's bowing out. Let him be
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:

I think vision is being confused with decision making.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Kirby Brian
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Working with a skills trainer will be huge for Lonzo this summer. Excited to see his development going into next year.

He's doing a US Tour promoting his new album.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:29 am    Post subject:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/brett-brown-says-ben-simmons-120049467.html

Should Lonzo change his form too? Felt like it was just in his head, had decent stretch post all star, just need to speed up the release
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The issue isn’t how Lonzo prepared it is with whom. His dad might have been fine for high school but he needs a professional for the NBA. Not only bball skills but also work on his conditioning, last season showed us that he isn’t close to being physically prepared for the NBA.

Agree, I'm not really enthused with having his manager DMo (Darren Moore. ex-USC) as his trainer. I'd rather he work out this summer with a proven NBA level trainer who could compliment his current skillset.

oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject:

giordan0 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
The issue isn’t how Lonzo prepared it is with whom. His dad might have been fine for high school but he needs a professional for the NBA. Not only bball skills but also work on his conditioning, last season showed us that he isn’t close to being physically prepared for the NBA.

Agree, I'm not really enthused with having his manager DMo (Darren Moore. ex-USC) as his trainer. I'd rather he work out this summer with a proven NBA level trainer who could compliment his current skillset.

Agreed.

Magic and Rob should have made sure that Zo is working out with the best this summer. You can't tell him this is the biggest summer of your career, and then leave him surrounded with anything but the best.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject:

Zo needs to work on his footwork and maybe add a Tony Parker like spin move to his arsenal. His footwork will help with his shot making.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
epak wrote:

I think vision is being confused with decision making.
vision is decision making in basketball speak. whats the use in having great vision if you dont make the right decision? nothing.

and guess what? you would never know if say westbrook had good or less than good vision until you saw the decision he made. you can't see what they see. you can only see the result of what they do after they've seen or not have seen something. thats how we assume "why he has eyes behind his head." how did we know this? because he threw a no look pass to someone he never looked at.

if he never threw that pass we dont know if he knew the guy was there or not. all we would know is, the pass never was thrown to that guy. and thats all that matters.

westbrook has gotten better from his days in college. but overall, westbrook has B- vision/decision making ability. and he's a superstar pg. that is pretty bad if you as me for his position and his stature.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
You don’t just get that level of IQ and vision. It comes from playing TONS of basketball. Reps and experience play a huge part in it even though some of it is god given. You don’t gain that level of comfortablity and creativity with the ball without being in the gym playing the game constantly.

Doesn't every prospect play TONS of basketball? He played high school and AAU, same as everyone else? Or are you saying Lonzo played more basketball than other players?

BigGameHames wrote:
Should he have played less live action and been more focused on individual skills training growing up? Probably but aren’t we nitpicking quite a bit considering he was drafted 2nd overall? Its time for him to focus on that now, when it’s more apparent what he needs to work on to succeed.

No one's nitpicking. It's a question.

The whole pt is to improve as a basketball player. Everyone is saying this summer is very important for Lonzo to work on his game.

People have a list of what he needs to work on this summer. Is it not valid to wonder what he's been working on in past summers?

Who knows, maybe he's a really hard worker during the offseason but results are slow to come.

If that's the case, then results might be slow to come this offseason as well.

Or, maybe he hasn't been working on his weaknesses during the past summers because they haven't been weaknesses against HS and college competition but they are weaknesses now. So he'll work on them now. Maybe that's the case.

If that's the case, then that's kind of a lack of foresight either from his father, his coaches, his trainer. Someone could have told him that what works vs. HS and college competition probably is not enough vs. NBA level competition.

Yes that wouldn’t shock me. I’m assuming he scrimmaged/played live action more while other guys were with skills trainers more. I doubt he was in the gym less compared to other prospects of his age/caliber. Seems like the Ball way, right or wrong judging by what we know. Run hills, get shots up, and play ball.

Nobody knows exactly what will be their weaknesses before they become weaknesses on the court. Finishing, outside shooting weren’t weaknesses till the pros. Ball handling and FT shooting weren’t weaknesses till college. That’s why most if not all players go through an adjustment period when they move up a level.
I think you're right about zo and the balls. less skills training and more workout and go hoop. then let your game become what it is. problem with this is you end up with missing skills like finishing in traffic at the rim vs better comp.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
You don’t just get that level of IQ and vision. It comes from playing TONS of basketball. Reps and experience play a huge part in it even though some of it is god given. You don’t gain that level of comfortablity and creativity with the ball without being in the gym playing the game constantly.

Doesn't every prospect play TONS of basketball? He played high school and AAU, same as everyone else? Or are you saying Lonzo played more basketball than other players?

BigGameHames wrote:
Should he have played less live action and been more focused on individual skills training growing up? Probably but aren’t we nitpicking quite a bit considering he was drafted 2nd overall? Its time for him to focus on that now, when it’s more apparent what he needs to work on to succeed.

No one's nitpicking. It's a question.

The whole pt is to improve as a basketball player. Everyone is saying this summer is very important for Lonzo to work on his game.

People have a list of what he needs to work on this summer. Is it not valid to wonder what he's been working on in past summers?

Who knows, maybe he's a really hard worker during the offseason but results are slow to come.

If that's the case, then results might be slow to come this offseason as well.

Or, maybe he hasn't been working on his weaknesses during the past summers because they haven't been weaknesses against HS and college competition but they are weaknesses now. So he'll work on them now. Maybe that's the case.

If that's the case, then that's kind of a lack of foresight either from his father, his coaches, his trainer. Someone could have told him that what works vs. HS and college competition probably is not enough vs. NBA level competition.

Yes that wouldn’t shock me. I’m assuming he scrimmaged/played live action more while other guys were with skills trainers more. I doubt he was in the gym less compared to other prospects of his age/caliber. Seems like the Ball way, right or wrong judging by what we know. Run hills, get shots up, and play ball.

Nobody knows exactly what will be their weaknesses before they become weaknesses on the court. Finishing, outside shooting weren’t weaknesses till the pros. Ball handling and FT shooting weren’t weaknesses till college. That’s why most if not all players go through an adjustment period when they move up a level.
I think you're right about zo and the balls. less skills training and more workout and go hoop. then let your game become what it is. problem with this is you end up with missing skills like finishing in traffic at the rim vs better comp.

Yea I wasn’t saying it’s right or wrong. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it through HS but once you get to college and pros, you gotta get a more qualified skills trainer. Hard to argue with a strategy that got the family EXACTLY what they wanted though.
Endless3D
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject:

DMO gotta stick to being a ball family/BBB manager and let someone else train Lonzo.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject:

Is it fact or are we all speculating?

If DMO is still Zo’s trainer I don’t like what Zo projects to be unless DMO went around and learned a lot more stuff during the season (unlikely).

Zo needs an NBA proven skills trainer, dietician, and strength and conditioning coach if he wants to get to the best in NBA level.

Kid is naturally gifted! But it’s gonna take some discipline to go from eating bowls of cheese and shooting below 50% from the line to get to where he wants to go and where we desperately need him to be
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:

If DMO is still Zo’s trainer I don’t like what Zo projects to be unless DMO went around and learned a lot more stuff during the season (unlikely).

Zo needs an NBA proven skills trainer, dietician, and strength and conditioning coach if he wants to get to the best in NBA level.

Kid is naturally gifted! But it’s gonna take some discipline to go from eating bowls of cheese and shooting below 50% from the line to get to where he wants to go and where we desperately need him to be

I’d say it’s educated speculation. He definitely still works out with him sometimes. Likely goes or will go to other guys too though.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
22 wrote:

I’d say it’s educated speculation. He definitely still works out with him sometimes. Likely goes or will go to other guys too though.

I think it’s fine then as long as he’s getting the best training from other too. Then DMO can emulate what the other guys are doing too
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Who's Dmo?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Who's Dmo?
his friend/trainer/manager
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Maybe I’m bad at reading people but why do i get the feeling he feels entitled? As if he is already good enough? I used to feel the same way about dangelo.

Also he should change his shot ASAP. If he doesn’t and still continue to shoot poorly I don’t see a reason to keep starting him.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo Ball was name dropped during a date scene in the new Karate Kid series on YouTube RED.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject:

watchME wrote:
Maybe I’m bad at reading people but why do i get the feeling he feels entitled? As if he is already good enough? I used to feel the same way about dangelo.

Also he should change his shot ASAP. If he doesn’t and still continue to shoot poorly I don’t see a reason to keep starting him.

I don’t think he should change his shot in any significant way but I also don’t think he’ll continue to shoot poorly.
Jsthornton7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
watchME wrote:

I don’t think he should change his shot in any significant way but I also don’t think he’ll continue to shoot poorly.

I care way more about his free throw form right now than his in game shot form. That definitely needs to be worked on way more. He is completely out of rhythm.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1021, 1022, 1023 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 1022 of 1688
Jump to: