what happens if randle takes the QO?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: what happens if randle takes the QO?

1. can we resign him for "max" next year?
2. can we then add max lebron and max PG (stretch deng)?
3. is there a 1% chance randle takes the QO (wink wink)?
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject:

If he takes the QO, we sign 2 max players and Randle is a FA in 2019.

Does he then trust us to give him the max? Or does he put up monster numbers and go into what will be a players market?

Tough call.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject:

I don't see Randle taking the QO. He has nothing to gain unless all he receives are lowball offers, which won't happen. Plus he's knows better than anyone about freak injuries in the NBA.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject:

I'd say the odds of Randle taking the QO are less than the odds of pulling off an extend-and-stretch with Deng.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject:

If he takes the QO, he’s an unrestricted free agent next year.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Mintz would never let Randle do that. He'd be the worst agent in the league if he did. There's just no incentive for Randle to do it.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Mintz would never let Randle do that. He'd be the worst agent in the league if he did. There's just no incentive for Randle to do it.

The one incentive is what Omar said--he could guarantee the team of his choosing after this season--but I agree, it's just too much to risk. But in theory, the Lakers could match any offer and then trade him next season, and then he might get stuck in a place where he really doesn't want to be.

Still, he could be looking at a $70MM guarantee (or more), compared to, what, less than $5MM? I just can't see him doing that.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

Does he then trust us to give him the max? Or does he put up monster numbers and go into what will be a players market?

Tough call.

There won't be any monster numbers with 2 max guys on the team. That's why I'm skeptical that he would even want to stay if we do get two max guys. He's young and probably has personal goals.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Judah wrote:

The one incentive is what Omar said--he could guarantee the team of his choosing after this season--but I agree, it's just too much to risk. But in theory, the Lakers could match any offer and then trade him next season, and then he might get stuck in a place where he really doesn't want to be.

Still, he could be looking at a $70MM guarantee (or more), compared to, what, less than $5MM? I just can't see him doing that.

The only way he’d do it imo is if they talk him into helping out for a year. Given the up and downs of the relationship and the risk involved, not likely.
Jsthornton7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject:

I can’t imagine he would decline the qualifying offer. Especially as a player who knows what it’s like to miss an entire season due to injury. If you have roughly $80m on the table you take it.

I feel like when it comes to Randle, my preference would be for the Lakers to work something out before someone makes an offer in RFA as I think that will ultimately provide better value.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject:

Jsthornton7 wrote:
I can’t imagine he would decline the qualifying offer. Especially as a player who knows what it’s like to miss an entire season due to injury. If you have roughly $80m on the table you take it.

I feel like when it comes to Randle, my preference would be for the Lakers to work something out before someone makes an offer in RFA as I think that will ultimately provide better value.

80 mil isn’t the qualifying offer. It’s one year, around und 5.5 mil.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject:

Jsthornton7 wrote:

I am trying to understand the reasoning behind your post and haven't gotten it yet.

For the season that just ended, he made $4,149,242.*

His qualifying offer will be $5,564,134 which is an increase of about $1.4 million. That will be about $3 million below the non-taxpayer MLE and slightly above where the taxpayer MLE will be next season.

A qualifying offer contract is for one season, so it isn't the contract that will have a $80 million payout.

* I know about the conforming increases for players with legacy rookie scale contracts, but I am trying to keep this simple and straightforward.
Expanding the conversation to cover the conforming increases could lead to more confusion.
Jsthornton7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Jsthornton7 wrote:

I am trying to understand the reasoning behind your post and haven't gotten it yet.

His qualifying offer will be $5,564,134 which is an increase of about $1.4 million. That will be about $3 million below the non-taxpayer MLE and slightly above where the taxpayer MLE will be next season.

A qualifying offer contract is for one season, so it isn't the contract that will have a $80 million payout.

* I know about the conforming increases for players with legacy rookie scale contracts, but I am trying to keep this simple and straightforward.
Expanding the conversation to cover the conforming increases could lead to more confusion.

Randle is gonna get paid this summer. By declining the offer and becoming an unrestricted free agent next offseason instead he risks injury or a decline in performance.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject:

Jsthornton7 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Jsthornton7 wrote:

Randle is gonna get paid this summer. By declining the offer and becoming an unrestricted free agent next offseason instead he risks injury or a decline in performance.

Quote:

I can’t imagine he would decline the qualifying offer.

This reads better to me

I can’t imagine he would accept the qualifying offer.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject:

"Aint gonna happen."

Randle is a long-term fit for the team. Julius is only 23 years old and has not peaked yet.
His touch and shooting range are going to improve with practice. He's already decent from the free throw line. Great rebounder, good defense and hustle.

He won't come cheap.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
"Aint gonna happen."

Randle is a long-term fit for the team. Julius is only 23 years old and has not peaked yet.
His touch and shooting range are going to improve with practice. He's already decent from the free throw line. Great rebounder, good defense and hustle.

He won't come cheap.

Mos def. let’s be real. Randle will look to get paid and will get paid. The only question the amount that is reasonable for us. Anything that is close to max will be throw us out of the comfort zone.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
pio2u wrote:
"Aint gonna happen."

He won't come cheap.

Mos def. let’s be real. Randle will look to get paid and will get paid. The only question the amount that is reasonable for us. Anything that is close to max will be throw us out of the comfort zone.

Definitely. That's why I believe that Rob Pelinka's negotiating skills will be critical in making or breaking a fair deal for both sides.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Judah wrote:

actually he has one more thing to gain.

if they get two max guys and keep randle next season and lets for fun. the lakers win the championship next season. Randle can put up his exact numbers as he did down the stretch and he will become an allstar, all nba 2nd team player(at worst). just be the fact that now everyone on the planet is watching him. for one he's playing for the lakers, for 2 whatever 2 max guys fanbase is watching, and 3..everyone know who you are when you're a starter on a laker championship team. EVERYONE. This will get you votes into places you may have no business being in. which will boost your earning potential the following year and for years to come. and lastly, he gets a chance to actually win something. there's no guarantee you ever get a chance to play with 2 other star players in your career or win get close enough to win a ring.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject:

Watch them lose him for nothing and then strike out in free agency.
Endless3D
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

Tough call.

If we sign 2 max agents, Randle knows his stats are going down. That's a risky move for a 23/24 year old TBH
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject:

My assumption is that, if some other team really wants Randle, they will get him to sign an offer sheet as soon as possible after July 1, so that the Lakers will have the minimum amount of time to match. The other team would make the offer sheet as much of a poison pill for the Lakers as possible under the current CBA. The idea is to force the Lakers to make a decision while the free agents are still deciding what they want to do, knowing that matching the offer sheet could wreck the free agent strategy.

This assumes that some other team really wants Randle. I'm not sure whether that will turn out to be true. The alternative is to wait and see what the Lakers do, with the possibility that Randle could find himself stranded. If that happens, the other team would save a lot of money and still sign Randle.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
Watch them lose him for nothing and then strike out in free agency.

Positivity FTW!
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject:

What is QO?

EDIT: Ah, I see...

Last edited by TDRock on Sun May 13, 2018 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject:

Randle is with Mintz, not Rich Paul. He's not going to take a QO, unless all his offers were lowball, which they won't be. Rich Paul told KCP to decline 4yrs/80m. I can see Randle taking anything north of 4yrs/62m. Why forfeit a year of your health and your youth, especially when you know a freak accident can occur at any moment.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
What is QO?

Qualifying Offer.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: