KAWHI LEONARD THREAD (Woj: KL to sign with Clippers who get Paul George)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 876, 877, 878  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject:

The baseball game was against the Reds... the Reds play in Ohio... the Cavs wear a darker RED uniform color (they call it wine, we all know it's burgundy, you jerks)... KAWHI is getting TRADED to CLEVELAND for the NETS pick!
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject:

cyborgspider wrote:
The baseball game was against the Reds... the Reds play in Ohio... the Cavs wear a darker RED uniform color (they call it wine, we all know it's burgundy, you jerks)... KAWHI is getting TRADED to CLEVELAND for the NETS pick!

Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
He spent the season rehabbing in NY. Kawhi to the Knicks. Confirmed.
He wore a tan hat. Kawhi to the Lakers. Confirmed.
But he's not a free agent and doesn't have a no trade clause. Confirmed. 😂

I love the reset. Appreciate it too. More on keeping a healthy perspective.

Close friends in NYC were going gonga when the news hit regarding Kawhi's time in the city. Sometimes, it's stuff like that reminds me to step back from the daily Laker drama and look around a bit. We can lose appreciation for where we as fans and where the club here has been for a scant five or so years. Knicks fans have lived the irrelevance nightmare for, what - twenty-plus years ? They've had just one winning season since 2001. The club's most recent championship came forty-five years back.

Yikes. It's sobering to think that similar circumstance could befall Laker central with poor club stewardship. It helps me to remember that the last championship was won in LA just eight years back. The daily Laker new grind can get a little too crazy at times. Reset done.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:
What is even crazier is that he MUST know how bad this looks, and he doesn't seem to care. If he wants out, he's not really helping other teams feel safe about trading for him, let alone raising his trade value so the Spurs can actually feel tempted to pull the trigger.

is he supposed to just sit home like a hermit all summer?

no big deal

It's not just this, I'm talking about the whole thing... like playing videogames (and posting about it) while his team is getting hammered during game 1 of the playoffs and everything else. Kawhi's not taking care of his image during all of these. Before, he was universally viewed as a super commited, humble and hard working young star everyone wanted to get their hands on. Now? Not anymore...
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject:

^

As if his image today matters. His image will take care of itself when he plays again, wherever that turns out to be. There's probably thirty clubs in the league who will want to have him.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
cyborgspider wrote:

Well I wouldn't like too much because if he ends up there then LeBron is staying in Cleveland.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:
^

As if his image today matters. His image will take care of itself when he plays again, wherever that turns out to be. There's probably thirty clubs in the league who will want to have him.

It matters if he or the Spurs want a trade this offseason. I mean, there’s already enough doubts with his injury
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Spurs Resisting Kawhi Leonard Interest

Quote:
Nonetheless, another Western Conference executive said teams are “lining up to try to do something” in the event the Spurs decide to trade Leonard this summer. Through back channels, those teams have gotten the brush-off from the Spurs.

“The Spurs want to try to make things work right now and aren’t interested,” the exec said.

http://www.lakersnation.com/nba-trade-rumors-spurs-resisting-kawhi-leonard-lakers-interest/2018/05/12/
Jsthornton7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Spurs Resisting Kawhi Leonard Interest

Quote:
Nonetheless, another Western Conference executive said teams are “lining up to try to do something” in the event the Spurs decide to trade Leonard this summer. Through back channels, those teams have gotten the brush-off from the Spurs.

“The Spurs want to try to make things work right now and aren’t interested,” the exec said.

http://www.lakersnation.com/nba-trade-rumors-spurs-resisting-kawhi-leonard-lakers-interest/2018/05/12/

If that’s the case then they are also resisting Philadelphia and Boston’s likely interest. If the Spurs don’t trade him and he becomes a FA, I actually think that is the best case scenario for the Lakers.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject:

That would be the best case scenario. Keep our young core. Sign PG. Re-sign Randle to 4 years 72 million with 2nd year being around 16 million. We can sign KL outright next year.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
That would be the best case scenario. Keep our young core. Sign PG. Re-sign Randle to 4 years 72 million with 2nd year being around 16 million. We can sign KL outright next year.

This man has a plan
Iron Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject:

https://www.expressnews.com/spurs-nation/article/Rehabbing-Leonard-s-image-would-be-easy-12926456.php

Spurs hoping to come to terms on a $219 million supermax contract with Kawhi Leonard

Quote:
The Spurs hope to meet with Kawhi Leonard and his representatives soon in a bid to mend fences and pave the way for Leonard to come to terms on a five-year $219 million supermax contract that he will be eligible to receive starting July 1. If attempts to patch up the relationship fail, the Spurs will be forced to explore trading a player coach Gregg Popovich once labeled “the future face of the franchise.”

Leonard played in just nine regular season games in 2017-18 despite receiving clearance from the Spurs’ medical staff to return from a quadriceps ailment. His decision to continue rehabbing away from the club under the supervision of his own medical team created a rift between him and the Spurs, as well as many of their fans.

With Leonard’s status in San Antonio in doubt, advertising executive Al Aguilar and other marketing experts were asked what he could do to rehabilitate his image and prove to the Spurs he wants to remain with them.

Each believes it would be an easy fix provided the notoriously media-shy player steps out of his comfort zone long enough to get in front of some reporters, microphones and cameras at a news conference and say a few words.

“I know the community would embrace him in a heartbeat if he would just come out and say something positive in a succinct way," Aguilar said.

Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject:

noahp45 wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

This man has a plan

Like the plan just think the contract will have to be more like 4/$80M. It will only take one team to bump up the price. Lakers have cost themselves by letting him hit the f/a market.

That is not even close to his max either. iirc Randle's max is about $24M per year isn't it?
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject:

Iron Mamba wrote:
https://www.expressnews.com/spurs-nation/article/Rehabbing-Leonard-s-image-would-be-easy-12926456.php

Spurs hoping to come to terms on a $219 million supermax contract with Kawhi Leonard

Quote:
The Spurs hope to meet with Kawhi Leonard and his representatives soon in a bid to mend fences and pave the way for Leonard to come to terms on a five-year $219 million supermax contract that he will be eligible to receive starting July 1. If attempts to patch up the relationship fail, the Spurs will be forced to explore trading a player coach Gregg Popovich once labeled “the future face of the franchise.”

Leonard played in just nine regular season games in 2017-18 despite receiving clearance from the Spurs’ medical staff to return from a quadriceps ailment. His decision to continue rehabbing away from the club under the supervision of his own medical team created a rift between him and the Spurs, as well as many of their fans.

In other words, another year of the Paul George waiting game scenario all over again.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Iron Mamba wrote:

Quote:

In other words, another year of the Paul George waiting game scenario all over again.

Well... lets see.

If PG scenario works out and Maginka doesn’t fall for the LeBron bait,
then yes.

I’d wait a year if it meant keeping our young assets and letting them develop.

Nice mix of young guns and young all star vets.
Now that’s a combo to make a dynasty out of.

And last time I checked, you can’t just have two all stars and a bunch of scrubs and win it all. You need help and depth.

Bye.
UKUGA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject:

If I'm Kawhi, I take the money.

But, I'm not Kawhi.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject:

UKUGA wrote:

But, I'm not Kawhi.

Take the money, then demand to be traded.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
UKUGA wrote:

But, I'm not Kawhi.

After you sign a 5-year, supermax contract, a demand to be traded will be met with crickets.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject:

UKUGA wrote:

But, I'm not Kawhi.

But what if you are Kawhi?

By averaging a post per year for 10 years, you are exactly like Kawhi on social media.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
2019 wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:
What is even crazier is that he MUST know how bad this looks, and he doesn't seem to care. If he wants out, he's not really helping other teams feel safe about trading for him, let alone raising his trade value so the Spurs can actually feel tempted to pull the trigger.

is he supposed to just sit home like a hermit all summer?

no big deal

It's not just this, I'm talking about the whole thing... like playing videogames (and posting about it) while his team is getting hammered during game 1 of the playoffs and everything else. Kawhi's not taking care of his image during all of these. Before, he was universally viewed as a super commited, humble and hard working young star everyone wanted to get their hands on. Now? Not anymore...

Virtually every NBA superstar who is regarded as "humble" goes through a period where he is regarded as arrogant. I don't think any of these guys are humble and eventually reality peaks through the image.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject:

Saying you don't like San Antonio, is not saying you don't like Texas. There are some reasonably nice places to live in Texas. We have been on the lookout for places to retire to, when we quit working. San Antonio is not at the top of my list, even for Texas. I mean the ONLY thing it has that interests me is the River Walk and how many times will you hang out there until it means basically nothing to you. I would never move there, ranks right up there with Albuquerque, NM for me. If you have lots of money, no place comes close to the west coast. San Diego, Los Angeles and San Francisco are the best cities to live in, in that order. SF is awesome but it gets a lot colder and the beach is basically persona non grata. Too frigging cold for me up there. SF is all about the mentality, if it's for you, the place is great, if it's not, LA and SD are way better. I've lived in all of them, FWIW. SD is my fave, but LA has so many areas, it would be very close to SD. If it wasn't for the cost of homes, I would never consider moving, but you can get 5 times the home for half the money in tons of really nice places.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
epak wrote:
UKUGA wrote:

But, I'm not Kawhi.

After you sign a 5-year, supermax contract, a demand to be traded will be met with crickets.

Yup. After that contract is signed, it's all about the team being the one making the decision to trade. Right, Blake?
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject:

Designated veteran extensions can't be traded for 1 year after it's signed, anyway. Russell can't be traded until September I believe. John Wall wasn't tradeable until this summer. So IF Kawhi signs the supermax, let's say this July 6th, he can't be traded until July 6th, 2019.

If he signs another extension, but NOT the designated veteran variety, different story.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject:

Ireland bought up a good point.. if the Spurs give Leonard the super-max the Spurs will be handicapped from improving the roster, even with Leonard coming back I don’t think a super max is warranted unless you have a good chance to make the finals.
Arbitrary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
UKUGA wrote:

But, I'm not Kawhi.

But what if you are Kawhi?

By averaging a post per year for 10 years, you are exactly like Kawhi on social media.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 876, 877, 878  Next
Page 12 of 878
Jump to: