Official MMA thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 433, 434, 435 ... 497, 498, 499  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Fantastic night of fights. Bellator had some good fights too. Great UFC card with a ton of action. Throw in Lomachenko and I was flipping channels like a mad man.
Bahahahah!! So ironic that cinco de mayo was meh and the next week is full of fights lol

Suprised nunes didn’t call out cyborg with her opportunity

Dawg...no chick wants to go into the ring with Cybrog. Real talk...steroids leaves its imprints regardless if you stopped it and are clean now. Doesn't matter. Your ill gained musculature and strength is there. It's kind of BS...ESPECIALLY when you're fighting other women. It's not right imo.

Don't think Nunes is on some supplements too? I'm no expert but her shoulders and pecs looked more swole. What was Pennington's corner thinking sending her out there after she quit on her stool? Damn. I'm with you, I can't imagine Nunes wanting anything to do with the 'Borg. But it seems the only fight that will generate any interest. Pennington getting a shot was pretty questionable on its own.

He got the win but Gastelum is going to have a rough time from here. He looked so small in comparison to Souza. As noted, his cardio was the difference but tonight's affair was a tree-chopping affair and the guy would have been able to yell "timber" if he were in there with a smaller man and down a weight class. Jaccare looked like a tranquilized gator by the middle of the 2nd. So, while you gotta give Kelvin credit for sure, the fact that the fight was so close after Jacare looked incredibly ripe for the picking, should be a bit of a red flag for he and his camp.

Machida totally flashbacked the kick that Silva delivered to finish Belfort. The phenom should have been mothballed after his win over Henderson in 2015. The number the roids ran on that dude's body has left him depleted.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Fantastic night of fights. Bellator had some good fights too. Great UFC card with a ton of action. Throw in Lomachenko and I was flipping channels like a mad man.
Bahahahah!! So ironic that cinco de mayo was meh and the next week is full of fights lol

Dawg...no chick wants to go into the ring with Cybrog. Real talk...steroids leaves its imprints regardless if you stopped it and are clean now. Doesn't matter. Your ill gained musculature and strength is there. It's kind of BS...ESPECIALLY when you're fighting other women. It's not right imo.

Don't think Nunes is on some supplements too? I'm no expert but her shoulders and pecs looked more swole. What was Pennington's corner thinking sending her out there after she quit on her stool? Damn. I'm with you, I can't imagine Nunes wanting anything to do with the 'Borg. But it seems the only fight that will generate any interest. Pennington getting a shot was pretty questionable on its own.

He got the win but Gastelum is going to have a rough time from here. He looked so small in comparison to Souza. As noted, his cardio was the difference but tonight's affair was a tree-chopping affair and the guy would have been able to yell "timber" if he were in there with a smaller man and down a weight class. Jaccare looked like a tranquilized gator by the middle of the 2nd. So, while you gotta give Kelvin credit for sure, the fact that the fight was so close after Jacare looked incredibly ripe for the picking, should be a bit of a red flag for he and his camp.

Machida totally flashbacked the kick that Silva delivered to finish Belfort. The phenom should have been mothballed after his win over Henderson in 2015. The number the roids ran on that dude's body has left him depleted.

Yeah idk why they sent her back out, they’re gonna take criticism all week on that for sure. Can’t wait to read the comments on that. I understand pushing your fighter, but at no point did Pennington have any chance to win that fight. She was getting dominated there was no need to risk any more damage.

Agreed. Kelvin should consider going to WW while his stock is high and his chin still exists. If Jacare had been a few years younger I think he takes this one pretty easy. He was gassed and still piecing up Gastelum left and right. Though Whittaker used to fight at WW, and he probably thinks he can outstrike Romero so he’ll proba stay till he gets a title shot.

That front kick was so vicious!! Old fighters get put out in the most embarrassing fashion smh. This was almost as bad as B-hop

What did y’all think of Dern missing weight by 7.4 freaking lbs?!! I wanted her to lose because of that but she outstruck ABC with her wild overhands and then submitted her. The accent thing, her self reported low work ethic, and the missing weight so excessively make me not like her as a fighter very much
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Nunes has wide shoulders but her musculature doesn't raise any eyebrows for me. I've seen plenty of natty girls with her build. Cyborg on the other hand probably has radioactive piss.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:

Yeah idk why they sent her back out, they’re gonna take criticism all week on that for sure. Can’t wait to read the comments on that. I understand pushing your fighter, but at no point did Pennington have any chance to win that fight. She was getting dominated there was no need to risk any more damage.

Agreed. Kelvin should consider going to WW while his stock is high and his chin still exists. If Jacare had been a few years younger I think he takes this one pretty easy. He was gassed and still piecing up Gastelum left and right. Though Whittaker used to fight at WW, and he probably thinks he can outstrike Romero so he’ll proba stay till he gets a title shot.

That front kick was so vicious!! Old fighters get put out in the most embarrassing fashion smh. This was almost as bad as B-hop

What did y’all think of Dern missing weight by 7.4 freaking lbs?!! I wanted her to lose because of that but she outstruck ABC with her wild overhands and then submitted her. The accent thing, her self reported low work ethic, and the missing weight so excessively make me not like her as a fighter very much

I'm sure, in their minds, Pennington's corner thought they were doing some deep coaching there. Serious life lessons or some outlandish ish like that.

Aside from an outright "no mas" moment from the fighter themselves, there are two ways a fighter quits: non-verbally and verbally. In both instances, the fighter is sending the same message to their corner. However, the articulated variety is far stronger because if it's the former, it's on the coach to warn their fighter that they will intervene on the fighter's behalf if something doesn't drastically change but, if it's the latter, then the coach has no recourse but to accept that their fighter is D-O-N-E. The will is broken and all pride has ceased. For a fighter to announce they're ready to quit, after years of sacrifice, grueling training and painful weight-cuts, denying themselves at every turn and then, reaching the pinnacle activity for all that preparation and then commit the once unthinkable act of admitting that they'd rather stop than persist, it is, flat-out, the end of the discussion.

The first job of the coach is to protect their fighters, sometimes at the cost of putting a merciful end to a fighter's bout to save them from themselves (see Justin Gaethje) because their iron-will is going to cause them further damage to themselves. So when a fighter fesses up that they're done, it's freaking over. I hope they learn from this. And I hope Pennington bounces back. That was a mismatch from the word "go."

The Dragon calling out Bisping is hilarious. Mike should just announce his retirement officially. Dude is done. He's leaning toward the grave already and he's got one foot on a banana peel. The young fighters calling him out are scary enough but I can't imagine Machida's vicious knockout on Friday is instilling any sense of urgency to schedule a farewell bout, let alone against Lyoto.

Last edited by Gimme_the_rock on Mon May 14, 2018 9:22 am; edited 3 times in total
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

Nunes has wide shoulders but her musculature doesn't raise any eyebrows for me. I've seen plenty of natty girls with her build. Cyborg on the other hand probably has radioactive piss.

Hear you on the broad shoulders but I was noticing more pronounced bulging (for lack of a better word) to the point where there was the beginnings of vein action emerging. Perhaps I just don't trust Brazilians

Cyborg's radioactivity is well documented. The only higher reading to be found is located somewhere near Chernobyl.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject:

Oh and 22, I think (Big) Mac Dern's weight cut was pure comedy. I mean, if they're going to be that liberal, then why have weight limits at all? She was nearly a full weight class up. And if that's what she weighed AFTER her cut on the day of the weigh-in, can you imagine what she walked into the octagon at? 30% of her purse being sacrificed is a good start but there has to be some kind of limit where huge disparities like that. I don't know if they should just render the fight canceled and the offender sacrifices their purse. I just think they need to address the weight cutting issue altogether. Get that stuff straight.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Couldn't agree more on Pennington's corner GtR! She was defending them on MMA hour today but I haven't got a chance to listen yet.

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Oh and 22, I think (Big) Mac Dern's weight cut was pure comedy. I mean, if they're going to be that liberal, then why have weight limits at all? She was nearly a full weight class up. And if that's what she weighed AFTER her cut on the day of the weigh-in, can you imagine what she walked into the octagon at? 30% of her purse being sacrificed is a good start but there has to be some kind of limit where huge disparities like that. I don't know if they should just render the fight canceled and the offender sacrifices their purse. I just think they need to address the weight cutting issue altogether. Get that stuff straight.

It was a complete joke! There was great youtube comment on the subject supposedly from somebody in her gym. I'll see if I can find it and post it here
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:

Dern had rolls of back fat yo...
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:

Dern had rolls of back fat yo...

Generally, I’m not in absolute opposition to a little jigglin of the jello but she had that third year partying-too-hard sorority bod going on.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject:

I forgot to post in here with yall about the LUDICROUSNESS coming out of Chuck Lidell's mouth the last few days

This man is fighting again (vs Tito Ortiz in November) and wants to fight Jon Jones after 2 warmup fights

put this on the same card as 50 Cent and Rampage bahahahahaha
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
I forgot to post in here with yall about the LUDICROUSNESS coming out of Chuck Lidell's mouth the last few days

This man is fighting again (vs Tito Ortiz in November) and wants to fight Jon Jones after 2 warmup fights

Yeah. I saw that earlier, sadly. Those videos of him shadow boxing ... ugh.

Chuck looks like that old break dancer that's struggling just trying get his uprock on but somehow thinks he's going to jump seamlessly into some windmills or flares. Only injuries are looming with that idea. I just pray that they're not of the serious variety. Tito is finally going to be able to exact his revenge by mere virtue of father time's attrition. The good news (or bad news) is that that he says they're going to be monitoring closely so it should be short lived. But it won't be pretty.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:

Yeah. I saw that earlier, sadly. Those videos of him shadow boxing ... ugh.

Chuck looks like that old break dancer that's struggling just trying get his uprock on but somehow thinks he's going to jump seamlessly into some windmills or flares. Only injuries are looming with that idea. I just pray that they're not of the serious variety. Tito is finally going to be able to exact his revenge by mere virtue of father time's attrition. The good news (or bad news) is that that he says they're going to be monitoring closely so it should be short lived. But it won't be pretty.

once again I couldn't agree more! Chuck needs to stop. He could literally die in the octagon at this point with all the KO's he's sustained over his career. The promoters taking advantage of this should be ashamed. He was over the hill 8 years ago.

One of the youtube comments said "maybe his chin has healed" ROFL
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

once again I couldn't agree more! Chuck needs to stop. He could literally die in the octagon at this point with all the KO's he's sustained over his career. The promoters taking advantage of this should be ashamed. He was over the hill 8 years ago.

Didn't someone say that it would be Oscar De La Hoya promoting that geriatric carnage?

Talk about exploitation.

Not with that. At all.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:

Didn't someone say that it would be Oscar De La Hoya promoting that geriatric carnage?

Talk about exploitation.

Not with that. At all.

Yeah someone was predicting it, I can't remember clearly but it might have been Dana lol
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:50 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:

Yeah someone was predicting it, I can't remember clearly but it might have been Dana lol

Oh yeah, that's where I heard it!

The fight game/combat sports are to the point where I think they're walking a fine line between legitimacy and spectacle. And while that's to somewhat to be expected since there is so much money to be made (which is my main problem with almost all of pro sports and, in particular, the NBA), at times, it does look like it can run on the brink of WWE-level tones. Especially with guys like Covington seemingly being rewarded.

Don't get me wrong, I believe there's still purity to be found in the sport, especially once the ocatagon/cage closes (it's not as crooked as boxing) but the framing of the sport can appear a bit much for a person like me that's a little fatigued from the "big drama show" vibe in almost all of sports and life.

Despite his blatant personal biases, favoritism and occasional douchery, I've always appreciated Dana's candor when hit with questions amid some absolutely crazy ongoings the company has endured. But I do wonder where the sport is heading still.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:

The fight game/combat sports are to the point where I think they're walking a fine line between legitimacy and spectacle. And while that's to somewhat to be expected since there is so much money to be made (which is my main problem with almost all of pro sports and, in particular, the NBA), at times, it does look like it can run on the brink of WWE-level tones. Especially with guys like Covington seemingly being rewarded.

Don't get me wrong, I believe there's still purity to be found in the sport, especially once the ocatagon/cage closes (it's not as crooked as boxing) but the framing of the sport can appear a bit much for a person like me that's a little fatigued from the "big drama show" vibe in almost all of sports and life.

Despite his blatant personal biases, favoritism and occasional douchery, I've always appreciated Dana's candor when hit with questions amid some absolutely crazy ongoings the company has endured. But I do wonder where the sport is heading still.

100%. That's why I was joking that they might as well put a Lidell fight on the same card as a 50 cent/Rampage fight. I think it's safe to say we're in the spectacle era, with a few leftovers of pure art of mixed martial arts left.

When sports become this popular it becomes more about entertainment/$$$ than the purity of the sport. It's sad
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:

100%. That's why I was joking that they might as well put a Lidell fight on the same card as a 50 cent/Rampage fight. I think it's safe to say we're in the spectacle era, with a few leftovers of pure art of mixed martial arts left.

When sports become this popular it becomes more about entertainment/$$$ than the purity of the sport. It's sad

Certain promotions (especially in Asia) have always had freak show fights. They love that sort of stuff.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

Certain promotions (especially in Asia) have always had freak show fights. They love that sort of stuff.

True and great point. Bob Sapp and Giant Silva in Pride FC drives your point home.

That being said, this promotion is still a spectacle at best and a potentially devastating joke at worst. The Ice Man hasn't won a fight in 11 years! And his last 3 losses were by KO or TKO.

I don't mind what Conor does. He's generally funny and witty and he knows how to hype it up. The McGregor/Diaz fights were highly entertaining from the moment they were announced to the final seconds of both contests. But I do suspect those have a chance of serving as the pinnacle for that type of energy when all is said and done. Just so hard to recreate. Everything since has felt more contrived than anything.

Khabib vs. Conor will be a HUGE fight but Khabib is more soft spoken (although funny) and calmly confident. So, I think the fireworks won't really come until they enter the octagon the night of (and in the crowd of course ).
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

True and great point. Bob Sapp and Giant Silva in Pride FC drives your point home.

That being said, this promotion is still a spectacle at best and a potentially devastating joke at worst. The Ice Man hasn't won a fight in 11 years! And his last 3 losses were by KO or TKO.

I don't mind what Conor does. He's generally funny and witty and he knows how to hype it up. The McGregor/Diaz fights were highly entertaining from the moment they were announced to the final seconds of both contests. But I do suspect those have a chance of serving as the pinnacle for that type of energy when all is said and done. Just so hard to recreate. Everything since has felt more contrived than anything.

Khabib vs. Conor will be a HUGE fight but Khabib is more soft spoken (although funny) and calmly confident. So, I think the fireworks won't really come until they enter the octagon the night of (and in the crowd of course ).

It's gonna be reeeealll interesting to see if Conor can get Khabib mentally rattled before the fight. IMO that's one of his greatest weapons
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:

It's gonna be reeeealll interesting to see if Conor can get Khabib mentally rattled before the fight. IMO that's one of his greatest weapons

Nate Diaz knew that and took full advantage of it heading into their first fight and it turned out to be a noticeable edge working in his favor. However, McG has totally learned from that. I honestly don't believe that would have any effect on Conor now like the way it did say, Mike Tyson, who prior to Buster Douglas and Evander, was facing opponents that were completely psyched out and shrinking by the time they were slowly making their way toward the ring.

Conor is way too confident and head strong for any of that. At least, right now. Furthermore, what you see is genuinely who he is. And it's now part of his process. It's authentic, win or lose.

The interesting thing about Iron Mike is, as the veil of his invincibility was being lifted, he was simultaneously victimizing himself with celebrity which helped expedite his descent. The drug abuse, Don King, marrying Robin Givens, the riotous sex life, the rape conviction, changing trainers and allowing himself to be surrounded by yes men and hangers ons all worked to make his epic fall almost inevitable. And I use the word "interesting" because I think Conor may be on a not-too-dissimilar path.

More than a couple MMA fighters mentioned cocaine in the moments immediately following the bus attack. The alleged hit an Irish mob boss placed on him following an assault in a bar got me thinking he may not be for long. I hope I'm wrong.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:

Nate Diaz knew that and took full advantage of it heading into their first fight and it turned out to be a noticeable edge working in his favor. However, McG has totally learned from that. I honestly don't believe that would have any effect on Conor now like the way it did say, Mike Tyson, who prior to Buster Douglas and Evander, was facing opponents that were completely psyched out and shrinking by the time they were slowly making their way toward the ring.

Conor is way too confident and head strong for any of that. At least, right now. Furthermore, what you see is genuinely who he is. And it's now part of his process. It's authentic, win or lose.

The interesting thing about Iron Mike is, as the veil of his invincibility was being lifted, he was simultaneously victimizing himself with celebrity which helped expedite his descent. The drug abuse, Don King, marrying Robin Givens, the riotous sex life, the rape conviction, changing trainers and allowing himself to be surrounded by yes men and hangers ons all worked to make his epic fall almost inevitable. And I use the word "interesting" because I think Conor may be on a not-too-dissimilar path.

More than a couple MMA fighters mentioned cocaine in the moments immediately following the bus attack. The alleged hit an Irish mob boss placed on him following an assault in a bar got me thinking he may not be for long. I hope I'm wrong.

Oh I meant the other way around GtR. I was wondering if Conor can rattle Khabib and get him to do things uncharacteristically due to the pressure and Conor trash talk.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject:

Ariel Helwani just announced he got picked up by ESPN.

ESPN trying to bolster their MMA expertise
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:

Oh I meant the other way around GtR. I was wondering if Conor can rattle Khabib and get him to do things uncharacteristically due to the pressure and Conor trash talk.

Sorry to confuse you but that's what I was responding to.

Let me attempt to clarify:

I don't think Conor can get inside Khabib's head at all. So nothing Conor says or does prior to the first bell ringing will effect The Eagle.

Conversely, I was attempting to point out that even though I believe Khabib will be able to completely reject every attempt McG makes to get inside his head, I don't think it makes any difference to Conor so the pre-fight trash talking/mental game is of little to no consequence either way.

Make sense?

Last edited by Gimme_the_rock on Thu May 17, 2018 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:

Dana just threw up in his mouth.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:

Sorry to confuse you but that's what I was responding to.

Let me attempt to clarify:

I don't think Conor can get inside Khabib's head at all. So nothing Conor says or does prior to the first bell ringing will effect The Eagle.

Conversely, I was pointing out that even if Khabib is able to completely stonewall every attempt McG makes to get inside his head, I don't think it makes any difference to Conor so the pre-fight trash talking/mental game is of little to no consequence either way.

Make sense?

aaaaaahhh gotchu, my bad.

Yeah, before I would have thought there was no way Conor could get in Khabib's head.

He just scared me going off the script against Iaquinta. Maybe he was sandbagging with that idk.

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:

Dana just threw up in his mouth.

Bahahahaha!! They got Chael Sonnen too
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 433, 434, 435 ... 497, 498, 499  Next
Page 434 of 499
Jump to: