PAUL GEORGE Thread (Scared to "Straddle the Fence" with Lakers and throws Jab at LeBron, pg. 1027)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 774, 775, 776 ... 1026, 1027, 1028  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Even people and the media in OKC believes he is going to be a Laker.

Nice. Who is the latest?
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Nice. Who is the latest?

Clay Bennet

LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Nice. Who is the latest?

Been listening to a lot of OKC-based podcasts. Today, for example, listened to lockonthunder podcast- the guy on that podcast, while making a very geographically and demographically appropriate military analogy, said he was 90% sure George would be a Laker. His opinion followed Ryan Russilo's statements. He also speculated that George's relationship with Melo may have soured a bit, but didnt give any details about that other than his speculation.

I also listened to the audio from George's exit interview press conference (as opposed to just reading the quotes). Sounded like he was basically saying that he finally has the chance to become a Laker, but that he had to give credit to the Thunder for at least making that decision harder than it was at first. I am reading into his words and tone of voice, but that's the impression I walked away with.

Also listened to Presti's conference that reiterated George telling him that he liked the franchise. His presser was a complete sales pitch to George and, in a very passive aggressive way, was almost implying that he would become a liar if he left OKC.

The only thing which surprises me after listening to and reading various OKC sources is that OKC really does want George back, luxury taxes be damned.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
MJST wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
Judah wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Lighten up. Some of you take yourselves and your “ fan status” so seriously.

Has nothing to do with ”fan status.” We’re criticizing the idiocy of cutting off your own nose just to spite your face.

And its just a jerk thing to say. Plenty of places on the web to go to crap on each other. On this site though, we try to encourage positivity. It may not be for everyone, but, still, that's the forum we want.

It seems like less of a "I want us to fail" and more of an "if we fail, hopefully it will be the dose of reality the fans and the front office needs and the end of 'we'll be a player in free agency every year' stuff till we actually start winning and FINALLY starting to fully invest in the young talent that's playing their [expletive]s off for us but are treated like they'd be sold up the river in a second for a 1 season run."

And of course you defend him...

Of course.

Still not seeing anything for anyone to defend. Surprised you are still taking offense.

I clearly state a “small perverse part of me”. Similar to that part of most of us takes a peek at a traffic accident or still watches a clip of a gruesome sports injury even after the announcer warns it is graphic.

Somehow my comments the other night were twisted into my wish for the Lakers to lose to an example of everything wrong with the internet. When it was nothing more then a response to someone stating that a free agent should be hated because he chooses to sign elsewhere.

I get that many are heavily invested in George and James signing. Providing elaborate reasons of why it will happen. And dismissing any that contradict the reasoning. But in the end they will either choose to do so or they won’t.

It will be a setback if they don’t, how big or small will need to be determined. The Lakers will still have cap. Still have young talent and coaching developing together. IMO potentially not such a bad scenario if that is the direction they go. But to the media and some fans it would be considered a stunning defeat after so many months of “planning” . I simply am not so sure it would be.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

If I'm George, I look at the OKC situation and think, if I sign here I either (a) get Griffin'd (traded to Green Bay) or (b) become Melo (the guy who wasn't good enough next to Russ).

They aren't a contender. There's no upside to staying in OKC. LA really is the better basketball situation.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
The only thing which surprises me after listening to and reading various OKC sources is that OKC really does want George back, luxury taxes be damned.

Control the asset and trade him after December. They absolutely should try to get him to sign.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Nice. Who is the latest?

Clay Bennet

What does Mark Rodgers say?
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
MJST wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
Judah wrote:

Has nothing to do with ”fan status.” We’re criticizing the idiocy of cutting off your own nose just to spite your face.

And its just a jerk thing to say. Plenty of places on the web to go to crap on each other. On this site though, we try to encourage positivity. It may not be for everyone, but, still, that's the forum we want.

It seems like less of a "I want us to fail" and more of an "if we fail, hopefully it will be the dose of reality the fans and the front office needs and the end of 'we'll be a player in free agency every year' stuff till we actually start winning and FINALLY starting to fully invest in the young talent that's playing their [expletive]s off for us but are treated like they'd be sold up the river in a second for a 1 season run."

Of course.

Still not seeing anything for anyone to defend. Surprised you are still taking offense.

I clearly state a “small perverse part of me”. Similar to that part of most of us takes a peek at a traffic accident or still watches a clip of a gruesome sports injury even after the announcer warns it is graphic.

Somehow my comments the other night were twisted into my wish for the Lakers to lose to an example of everything wrong with the internet. When it was nothing more then a response to someone stating that a free agent should be hated because he chooses to sign elsewhere.

I get that many are heavily invested in George and James signing. Providing elaborate reasons of why it will happen. And dismissing any that contradict the reasoning. But in the end they will either choose to do so or they won’t.

It will be a setback if they don’t, how big or small will need to be determined. The Lakers will still have cap. Still have young talent and coaching developing together. IMO potentially not such a bad scenario if that is the direction they go. But to the media and some fans it would be considered a stunning defeat after so many months of “planning” . I simply am not so sure it would be.

I mean, you can keep pretending all you want that people came down on you because they simply disagree with you about the two-max plan, but fact is, even people who actually agree with you about that took exception to the comment you made. No one is misrepresenting you. For some odd reason, you think that contextualizing it makes an iota of difference. It doesn't. You obviously have a bone to pick with those who believe the Lakers will sign Paul George and LeBron James this summer. I get that. We all get that. But what seems to be going over your head completely is that no one cares how you feel about that. That's not the heart of the issue. I don't know if you're just straight up aloof about this or if you're just pretending not to get it, but whatever it is, it's just annoying at this point, so I digress.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Judah wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
MJST wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
Judah wrote:

Of course.

I mean, you can keep pretending all you want that people came down on you because they simply disagree with you about the two-max plan, but fact is, even people who actually agree with you about that took exception to the comment you made. No one is misrepresenting you. For some odd reason, you think that contextualizing it makes an iota of difference. It doesn't. You obviously have a bone to pick with those who believe the Lakers will sign Paul George and LeBron James this summer. I get that. We all get that. But what seems to be going over your head completely is that no one cares how you feel about that. That's not the heart of the issue. I don't know if you're just straight up aloof about this or if you're just pretending not to get it, but whatever it is, it's just annoying at this point, so I digress.

I wish I could click a button to like this post!
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:46 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

If I'm George, I look at the OKC situation and think, if I sign here I either (a) get Griffin'd (traded to Green Bay) or (b) become Melo (the guy who wasn't good enough next to Russ).

They aren't a contender. There's no upside to staying in OKC. LA really is the better basketball situation.

I hope someone points that out to George, because there is a real possibility that happens if he chooses to stay there. Maybe he should give Blake a call?
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:09 am    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

I hope someone points that out to George, because there is a real possibility that happens if he chooses to stay there. Maybe he should give Blake a call?

I think there is absolutely no way PG stays in Oklahoma. There is absolutely nothing for him here. The only people that end up staying in Oklahoma are the people born and raised here and the people that can’t leave because of their job. Very few outsiders would choose to stay here and most of those that do regret it. If you’re a millionaire from CA and can live anywhere, you don’t pick Oklahoma City.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:55 am    Post subject:

scooterp10 wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

I think there is absolutely no way PG stays in Oklahoma. There is absolutely nothing for him here. The only people that end up staying in Oklahoma are the people born and raised here and the people that can’t leave because of their job. Very few outsiders would choose to stay here and most of those that do regret it. If you’re a millionaire from CA and can live anywhere, you don’t pick Oklahoma City.

Since I'm not from the states, I decided to google up OKC in light of what you said.

Wikipedia says:

Oklahoma City has a very active severe weather season from March through June, especially during April and May. Being in the center of what is colloquially referred to as Tornado Alley, it is prone to especially frequent and severe tornadoes, as well as very severe hailstorms and occasional derechoes.

Frequent Tornados? If I were PG13, I would sign with the lakers, the first chance i get!
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject:

I'll be disappointed if we don't land PG 13, because it seems like such a natural fit on paper for what we need.

However, even if it doesn't turn out, I'm pretty happy with the general direction of the Lakers, if the worst case scenario is we continue to grow what we have (keep randle), I still think we will be an improved team and fun to watch competing for the playoffs...with PG 13 I think being in the playoffs is more likely.

Lots of potential options/opportunities of the Lakers
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
trablos wrote:
What do you guys think about PG's ability to take his game to the next level? For some bizzare reason, he gets knocked for not being in the top echelon of superstars, but I really don't think he's done improving. He has all the tools to be one of the top wings in the game, is already a great 3 and D guy and playmaker, so what else can he improve on?

He is as next level as he is going to be.

This seems to be the assumption, but he's only 27. Pau got even better when he was paired up with a star and played the best basketball of his life for another 6 years. I don't see why he can't improve on his weaknesses and play at a higher level and increase his hoop IQ.

George’s level is as a 2nd/3rd option on a good team. The next level is a first option and he won’t be that.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Not using that logic, the Lakers aren’t close to being a contender.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

You're not even addressing his post.

It's about being signed under false pretenses and then being traded. That's what happened to Blake and I can totally see that with PG13/OKC.

So why would you sign on a team that will go downhill, is in OKC, and in a situation where you may be traded for more assets?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

That isn’t the attitude that the Lakers are presenting this summer in there FA meetings, but if being a Debbie downer is a cool thing then ..
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

It's about being signed under false pretenses and then being traded. That's what happened to Blake and I can totally see that with PG13/OKC.

So why would you sign on a team that will go downhill, is in OKC, and in a situation where you may be traded for more assets?

Maybe George isn’t as paranoid as posters here? I doubt that getting traded crosses his mind. And if it does, there are 30 teams who could do the same.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Maybe George isn’t as paranoid as posters here? I doubt that getting traded crosses his mind. And if it does, there are 30 teams who could do the same.

You think Blake feels the same now?

And this is the team that traded away Harden, lost KD, etc.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject:

scooterp10 wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Unfortunately there is something there and it's about 40 million dollars.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

That's assuming he can never get another contract after his 4 years in LA is up.

Or that $ is only thing that matters to him.

Plenty of NBA players have left teams to take on a 4 year deal over a 5 year deal.
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

That's assuming he can never get another contract after his 4 years in LA is up.

Plenty of NBA players have left teams to take on a 4 year deal over a 5 year deal.

People using the 40 million dollar line must forgot that Paul George is likely to only sign a 3 year deal, so he can get to 10 years and get 35% of the cap.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

People using the 40 million dollar line must forgot that Paul George is likely to only sign a 3 year deal, so he can get to 10 years and get 35% of the cap.

Or the countless other vets (most recently Hayward) who left the "40m" to join another team and "make less" while leaving NBA "destinations" like Utah and now OKC.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

It's not paranoia- it's the smart play if you're running OKC. Re-sign PG and trade him to get assets back vs losing him for nothing. PG has an agent, and his agent will certainly make PG aware of the fact that it's a very real possibility- it's why he gets paid.

Or are you going to keep telling us that OKC ownership can't wait to pay $250m for a team that's first round fodder in the playoffs like you did all season ?

As for the basketball side- the Lakers are in a much better position moving forward than OKC is.

OKC lost in the first round to a team that didn't have their starting point guard for the final game. They have no way outside of trades to substantially improve their team, but they can’t absorb contracts because of their cap/tax situation, and they have a dearth of young talent, as most of their main contributors are either already in their prime or past their prime. Also, they lack picks that can be traded. So what kind of deals will they be able to make with no cap room, young talent or picks to trade ?

Meanwhile, the Lakers went 2-2 vs OKC this season with one of the youngest rosters in the NBA, have lots of young talent with upside and enough cap room for another max player on top of PG.

But you keep telling yourself that OKC is a better basketball option for PG. Whatever will make you feel better when Magic and Rob sign PG this summer and you''re one of the 3-4 people on this board who are unhappy about it.

Last edited by babyskyhook on Mon May 14, 2018 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Or the countless other vets (most recently Hayward) who left the "40m" to join another team and "make less" while leaving NBA "destinations" like Utah and now OKC.

Yeah- the $40m is simply less money guaranteed. He’ll make that up and much more by signing a 2+1 in LA, then signing a new long-term deal @35% of the cap after 2 years.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 774, 775, 776 ... 1026, 1027, 1028  Next
Page 775 of 1028
Jump to: