PAUL GEORGE Thread (Scared to "Straddle the Fence" with Lakers and throws Jab at LeBron, pg. 1027)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 775, 776, 777 ... 1026, 1027, 1028  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately there is something there and it's about 40 million dollars.

That's assuming he can never get another contract after his 4 years in LA is up.

Or that $ is only thing that matters to him.

Plenty of NBA players have left teams to take on a 4 year deal over a 5 year deal.

People using the 40 million dollar line must forgot that Paul George is likely to only sign a 3 year deal, so he can get to 10 years and get 35% of the cap.

Or the countless other vets (most recently Hayward) who left the "40m" to join another team and "make less" while leaving NBA "destinations" like Utah and now OKC.

Yeah- the $40m is simply less money guaranteed. He’ll make that up and much more by signing a 2+1 in LA, then signing a new long-term deal @35% of the cap after 2 years.

So many guys have left that money on the table for various reasons. It's not the silver bullet for incumbent teams that it was designed to be.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Update. Was out in the bay area this weekend and stopped by a Nike outlet with my son. He needed some shoes and of all the shoes to choose from, he decided on a pair of the PG1's. (only $35)

The first domino has now fallen.... It has begun
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Saying PG will be immediately flipped by OKC is a major presumption. Keep in mind Melo is only under contract for one more year. They can get back under the tax the following year.

Also a presumption to say the Lakers can't make playoffs next year. The wolves won 29, 31, then 47 games after adding Jimmy Butler.

The Celtics went from 25 to 40 after adding IT.

The Lakers are a playoff team if they can add Paul George--which is what OKC is. They're a contender if they add someone else. OKC is not a contender and they can't add anyone.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Saying PG will be immediately flipped by OKC is a major presumption. Keep in mind Melo is only under contract for one more year. They can get back under the tax the following year.

Also a presumption to say the Lakers can't make playoffs next year. The wolves won 29, 31, then 47 games after adding Jimmy Butler.

The Lakers are a playoff team if they can add Paul George--which is what OKC is. They're a contender if they add someone else. OKC is not a contender and they can't add anyone.

We're not saying it's a given, but a possibility. Clips ran into that situation too, where they didn't have any top flight assets and were stuck. So they traded Blake who fetched a good haul for them. OKC is like that too having invested nearly 100m in WB/Melo/Adams combined for next year.

Can't trade Melo.
Probably don't want to trade Adams.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

How many wins did OKC improve?

It may not be a popular opinion, but I personally think that most of our wins next year if we added Paul George would come from the progression of guys like Ingram, Kuzma, Randle and Ball's 2nd year than by George's presence. As I don't think he's an "Add 10 wins to your record just by being there" kind of player. Not now anyway. I think Paul George will 'fit in' better than KCP did, much better actually.

But I think we'll be screaming "INGRAM!!" more when it comes to our wins next season than "GEORGE!" just my opinion though.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject:

2 + 1 is probably the most lucrative option out there for the top guys, at the same time giving flexibility for all parities going into 2020. I think the next two years for our young core will be entertaining at very least. It’ll be fun ball to watch no doubt.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

How many wins did NOP improve after adding Cousins?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
MJST wrote:

They finished the season

21-13

after Cousins went down

And were

27-21 before he went down.

However they'd found their stride as well and went 9-3 in their last 12 games before he got hurt, including a stretch of 8-1 in the final 9 and 4 straight wins which included a win vs The Rockets. So in other words, they'd figured it out and were starting to play very well.

So yeah, they were on pace to finish the season strong before Cousins got hurt. It took a monumental effort from AD to get them to the playoffs because after Cousins went down they went 1-5 and people were counting them out, till AD was moved to the center position and things turned around.

Also, with Cousins there they were an above .500 team on their best run in the past 2 seasons, and after only managing 30 and 34 wins the previous two seasons, they obviously were a better team.

So what was your point again?
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
MJST wrote:

They finished the season

21-13

after Cousins went down

And were

27-21 before he went down.

However they'd found their stride as well and went 9-3 in their last 12 games before he got hurt, including a stretch of 8-1 in the final 9 and 4 straight wins which included a win vs The Rockets. So in other words, they'd figured it out and were starting to play very well.

So yeah, they were on pace to finish the season strong before Cousins got hurt. It took a monumental effort from AD to get them to the playoffs because after Cousins went down they went 1-5 and people were counting them out, till AD was moved to the center position and things turned around.

Also, with Cousins there they were an above .500 team on their best run in the past 2 seasons, and after only managing 30 and 34 wins the previous two seasons, they obviously were a better team.

So what was your point again?

thanks. there always doesn't have to be a point. was just asking a question
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

It may not be a popular opinion, but I personally think that most of our wins next year if we added Paul George would come from the progression of guys like Ingram, Kuzma, Randle and Ball's 2nd year than by George's presence. As I don't think he's an "Add 10 wins to your record just by being there" kind of player. Not now anyway. I think Paul George will 'fit in' better than KCP did, much better actually.

But I think we'll be screaming "INGRAM!!" more when it comes to our wins next season than "GEORGE!" just my opinion though.

We won't be better unless we replace KCP with PG AND
We either resign Brook or someone as good as Brook
We either resign IT or someone as good as IT

At this stage it's not simply replacing KCP with PG... it's replacing KCP/Brook/IT with PG. Flawed or injury prone though they might be... those three make a superior composite contribution to PG by himself.

Even if we replace Brook with Porter or Konate
or IT with Shamet/Holiday/Brunson... it still remains to be seen if either can produce the 15PPG and 6APG a hobbled IT can still produce or if those big men can spread the floor and rim protect like Brook.

I think the young core will grow significantly... and maybe that will be enough... but I'd rather leave nothing to chance and find pieces equal to or superior to all three. Obviously LBJ/PG fixes everything... but short of that, we must be ready to identify both the center and backup point guard.

If we do, we will make the playoffs... if we don't we will have a good chance of wasting another year.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject:

IT played less than 20 games for us. Brook and KCP’s production will be covered by PG13 and I believe...Brook. We will have another max slot to make up for IT’s 17 game contributions, some of which weren’t that special. I don’t think you can equivocate Brook/KCP for a guy who played 17 games for us.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately there is something there and it's about 40 million dollars.

That's assuming he can never get another contract after his 4 years in LA is up.

Or that $ is only thing that matters to him.

Plenty of NBA players have left teams to take on a 4 year deal over a 5 year deal.

People using the 40 million dollar line must forgot that Paul George is likely to only sign a 3 year deal, so he can get to 10 years and get 35% of the cap.

Or the countless other vets (most recently Hayward) who left the "40m" to join another team and "make less" while leaving NBA "destinations" like Utah and now OKC.

Yeah- the $40m is simply less money guaranteed. He’ll make that up and much more by signing a 2+1 in LA, then signing a new long-term deal @35% of the cap after 2 years.

Oh lord, I hope we don't sign him beyond 3 years. You don't want that type of money tied up to a 30 something non-game changer. If we can get him for the next 3 years, that will great. His prime years. But don't extend after unless he goes through some sort of renaissance playing next to Lonzo.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject:

He just turned 28.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
IT played less than 20 games for us. Brook and KCP’s production will be covered by PG13 and I believe...Brook. We will have another max slot to make up for IT’s 17 game contributions, some of which weren’t that special. I don’t think you can equivocate Brook/KCP for a guy who played 17 games for us.

If it makes you feel better you can substitute the name of Clarkson instead of IT... even though he's been terrible recently.

My point is that a draft pick is too risky... even though I believe some of those could pan out.

We did not make the playoffs because we settled for Ennis and Caruso instead of signing Rondo.

Randle and IT had a great chemistry and his big end of the year surge was aided by IT's passing.

I'm happy if we get LBJ... I'm happy if we can somehow manage to get Seth for a year, I'm happy if we can get Rondo... but failing that... why not take advantage of the bird in the hand?

Bottom line we need 15 PPG and 6 APG from someone and IT guarantees that production more than most. I don't get why you fight it so much when you have few qualms about aiming for injured Kawhi next year.

I'm only suggesting one year just to make sure Lonzo's able to handle the job.

As I said, if we get Seth or Rondo, I'll stop my IT crusade... but I'm not going to settle for unproven players who are equally risky to someone who is injury prone.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Isaiah Thomas at 60% became more of a difference maker than JC has become in Cleveland at 100% thus far.

I'd say as far as backup PGs go, IT is the best one out there, and also the one we're most likely to get a bargain on due to the surgery.

Most productive + bargain you'd think more Lakers fans would jump on that.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject:

We will be a playoff team with or without PG. I think he is a perfect fit for us and his signing (as well as the resigning of JR) and a couple of small signings will make us a top four seed. We are going to start to turn things around, so lets enjoy the ride.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

No one is predicting it. They're just acknowledging the possibility of it given the situation they're in financially.

And yes, it's literally his agent’s job to look out for him and make sure he's aware of scenarios like this.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject:

I'm sure Blake Griffin is loving Detroit over sunny beautiful LA. Getting traded is not a big deal guys.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Isaiah Thomas at 60% became more of a difference maker than JC has become in Cleveland at 100% thus far.

I'd say as far as backup PGs go, IT is the best one out there, and also the one we're most likely to get a bargain on due to the surgery.

Your crusade for injured FAs is perplexing.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
MJST wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Same principle as Antique Roadshow or American Pickers.

Find a fixable piece of great furniture... upside is way greater than going to IKEA. Sure the IKEA piece might have a clean bill of health and look okay... but it will never be as great or as valuable as the antique.

The key is only to make sure you can fix it.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
He just turned 28.

Exactly. This should be the only contract we give him. I've talked about this extensively before. About how only hall of famers have shown to maintain high play throughout their 30's. The regular stars are bad contracts in their 30's, especially for MAX 10 yr vet super duper whatever. I hope we're not the ones who give him that one when he qualifies unless somehow his play deserves it, which I highly doubt.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
MJST wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Same principle as Antique Roadshow or American Pickers.

Find a fixable piece of great furniture... upside is way greater than going to IKEA. Sure the IKEA piece might have a clean bill of health and look okay... but it will never be as great or as valuable as the antique.

The key is only to make sure you can fix it.

That's one heck of a hilarious analogy.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
He just turned 28.

Exactly. This should be the only contract we give him. I've talked about this extensively before. About how only hall of famers have shown to maintain high play throughout their 30's. The regular stars are bad contracts in their 30's, especially for MAX 10 yr vet super duper whatever. I hope we're not the ones who give him that one when he qualifies unless somehow his play deserves it, which I highly doubt.

He’ll be worth it.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject:

Paul George is a max player. Period.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Most Laker fans aren’t keen on signing injured players. We had enough injury problems last season without actively going out and looking for more.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 775, 776, 777 ... 1026, 1027, 1028  Next
Page 776 of 1028
Jump to: