Kyle Kuzma no-shows fan meet and greet/signing unannounced.. to go play paintball instead?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Kyle Kuzma no-shows fan meet and greet/signing unannounced.. to go play paintball instead?

https://www.reddit.com/r/lakers/comments/8j0t4p/apparently_kyle_kuzma_had_a_meet_greet_today_and/

Quote:
Saw he was paintballing tho... lol. Just saw this info on twitter so I don’t really know everything.

E: people said they waited 4 hours for him

Quote:
One of my friends went with his kid who loves Kuzma. He said they were there for 3 hours. Then I searched more on twitter and other people were posting about it too. Like I said, don’t really know too much.

Quote:
This little kid and his family lined up at 2:00 am to try and meet him. The little kid was crying so much when we told him Kuzma wasn’t coming

Quote:
I work at the store where the event took place and it was really lame. We knew something was up when they told us before the event started that he wasn’t signing anything and was just taking pictures. They could’ve given us a heads up but he just straight up didn’t show up.

It was sad because a lot of people lined up as early as 2:00 am to try and meet him but he flaked to play some paintball... We had to deal with some angry customers which is understandable and gave them some gift cards to try and make up for what happened. It’s not all that bad because we got to meet Metta World Peace yesterday and he was super cool and gave away free panda shirts. I’d like to think Kuzma had an emergency but he was active on social media today and didn’t seem to have anything important going on

Quote:
that's not cool.

Edit: Here's the wss meet and greet announcement: https://www.facebook.com/events/428466990910242/

And about him not showing up if you search it on twitter you'll see people talking about waiting in line since 3 am and he didn't even call to cancel.

Quote:
yeah, i have a laker page on instagram and i was invited as a media rep, and he didn't show :/ i got a mwp hat...

but wss was really nice about it, and they could not do anything about it

Quote:
Quote:
Kuzma does soooo many [expletive] meet and greets. Give him a break for not going to 1
Don’t schedule [expletive] you aren’t going to show up for. And certainly don’t no call no show when you’re fortunate enough to be in the situation he’s in. He’s a professional NBA player now, PROFESSIONAL comes first and he should act like one. He wouldn’t be in Los Angeles with the chance to make millions if it wasn’t for the same people who he left waiting for hours.

Not a good look till there's an explanation if anyone gets one. Seems like not. So, not a good look.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:34 am    Post subject:

D*ck move.. he's young though. He may not understand how much of an impact his interactions with people have.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:54 am    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
D*ck move.. he's young though. He may not understand how much of an impact his interactions with people have.

Also his career. Doing stuff like this is not going to help him with landing potential endorsements.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:31 am    Post subject:

It's not going to help him in general. You don't want people thinking you've already gone "Hollywood" after one rookie year. Particularly when they see how the other two (Ingram and Randle) carry themselves, and even Hart and Lonzo for that matter.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:44 am    Post subject:

yeah, really hope there was some legitimate miscommunication....he will need to try to fix this as best he can. Whoever was managing event should have handed out "rain checks" to ensure he did a makeup private meet & greet for those that waited.
Sago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:25 am    Post subject:

Of course MJST creates a new hot take thread about this 3 days after the fact. Btw, this is being discussed in the Kuzma thread
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:03 am    Post subject:

Maybe he has a legitimate reason as to why he didn't make it.. I find it hard to believe he would just skip the event, and not issue an explanation or an apology. Doesn't make sense really. He's smart enough to know how that would damage his brand. Not to make excuses for him, just saying there may be some key elements to this story that we're missing.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:04 am    Post subject:

Very poor move. I like the kid, but there's no excuse for blowing off an appearance to play paintball. Hopefully he'll prove better at damage control than he is at honoring his commitments to the fans.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:07 am    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
Maybe he has a legitimate reason as to why he didn't make it.. I find it hard to believe he would just skip the event, and not issue an explanation or an apology. Doesn't make sense really. He's smart enough to know how that would damage his brand. Not to make excuses for him, just saying there may be some key elements to this story that we're missing.

I think him going paintballing is what is ruining the perception, or rather what's got it working against him. Because him pretty much going paintballing when he was supposed to be doing this, is what reflects badly on him at the moment.

If he was just basically radio silent, then I don't think anyone would jump to the worst conclusion.. but he wasn't.. and that's why it's now being perceived he pretty much blew them off cause he "had better things to do."

That + the not calling or canceling and people just waiting there for hours is what reflects badly. If he calls, or he goes radio silent on social media, I think people give him the benefit of the doubt. But neither of those things happened.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:18 am    Post subject:

Maybe it wasn't approved by Kuzma or his peoples then the organizer is at fault
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject:

There's a quote in the initial post from someone who worked at the store who talked about conditions Kuzma's people were putting on the event and said that "he just straight up didn't show up".
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
There's a quote in the initial post from someone who worked at the store who talked about conditions Kuzma's people were putting on the event and said that "he just straight up didn't show up".

Was it stipulated that he wouldn't show up if those conditions weren't met?
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:

No idea. Either way, he's got some explaining to do and this is also not a great look for the franchise either. They'll have to get out in front of this issue as well.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject:

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=182126&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=7400

^ This same topic was being talked about in the Kuzma thread since last Saturday....... that's 3 days ago.

3 days old news doesn't need a new thread topic posted today.

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:

No idea. Either way, he's got some explaining to do and this is also not a great look for the franchise either. They'll have to get out in front of this issue as well.

Would agree, especially if his side was making those demands at last minute and then just no-showed.

Because what that says is that they KNEW about the event, they knew it was that day as they were making contact to say additional things they were and weren't going to do.

And then to not show up at all, with not even a phone call? The fact he or/and his people were contacting them beforehand is what makes it look bad. Had they not heard from him the entire day then maybe, but if he was contacting them going "I won't be doing this or that when I'm there." and then no-showing.. that's worse, because it means not only did he know, he'd communicated with them and was very able to.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: