Best and worst countries you've visited and ones that you want to visit
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
I have around 30 nights. Here's how I'm thinking of doing it...

Thinking of doing it like this:

1) Arrive in Stockholm for five nights

2) Stockholm to Amsterdam via flight (four nights)

3) Amsterdam to Paris via train (five nights)

4) Paris to London via train (five nights)

5) London to Venice via flight (four nights)

6) Venice to Florence via train (four nights)

7) Florence to Rome via train (five nights)

8) Rome to NYC via flight

Is Florence really considered a major city in Italy, or would I be better off trying to visit Copenhagen instead?

You could trim Stockholm and amsterdam and Venice and Florence down a couple of nights and insert Copenhagen and Barcelona pretty easily. The places you will need the most time are Paris London Rome imo. Also, Reykjavik is a nice visit too.

Are Amsterdam/Florence/Venice really not all that interesting? The problem with Barcelona is that it is so far from everything else and would require a flight both to and from.

Copenhagen is weird because theoretically it should be easy to get to from Stockholm, but there really isn't that much difference in getting there than there is from any other major city.

They are interesting, just triaging to get you days in the big cities and some time in more cities.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Tw, I totally agree on prague. Very cool city if you can fit it in. Fwiw, if you’re doing the whirlwind, three cities in Italy could rob you of other places. I’d late it to two.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Anyone have any thoughts on Copenhagen?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Anyone have any thoughts on Copenhagen?

It will give you oral cancer.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Just had a trip to Europe, have to say Vienna is probably my all time favorite city with the caveat that I didn't spend too much time there. Gorgeous architecture, immensely rich classical music history (the capital of the world in that regard), really nicely walkable and bikable, clean, friendly people who also speak English for the most part.

Not really into nightlife so the sad state of the bar scene there doesn't really bother me. The only real caveat is I'm not sure about the food scene there; European food generally sucks and I didn't have any standout meal. Oh and it's expensive too but I live in the Bay Area so that's whatever.

Prague was really nice too, but super touristy since I happened to be there during the half-marathon.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Hitting Rome, Athens, Santorini and Mykonos, next summer....
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject:

Best: Czech Republic, Taiwan, Costa Rica, Egypt

Worst: None, I was on friggin vacation. But worst food was in Egypt. I've been throughout most of Europe, a number of Latin countries, and Asia. Egypt by far with the worst food and of course limited alcohol there too.

Want to visit: Peru, Thailand, Vietnam, Japan, Italy

Second list of want to visit: Ecuador, Brazil, Argentina, Sweden
Ares24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject:

Best: Thailand, Mexico Brazil Colombia.
Worst: CHINA! It’s freaking terrible. Never again will I ever visit China.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject:

I don't live in the States anymore but it is still my fav. I love to visit LA and Miami.

Just way too many fun cities in the States to visit. List is long and I've touched maybe 10%.

Singapore is really cool. I enjoyed Japan but not as much as everyone else. Thailand is great too but also overrated IMO.

Huge fan of London..one of my fav cities. Paris was overrated to me as well.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
I don't live in the States anymore but it is still my fav. I love to visit LA and Miami.

Just way too many fun cities in the States to visit. List is long and I've touched maybe 10%.

Singapore is really cool. I enjoyed Japan but not as much as everyone else. Thailand is great too but also overrated IMO.

Thailand is great but not the tourist areas so much.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Snipes wrote:

Indeed. What part of Thailand do you live in? I spent time in Bangkok and then time up north, and very much like different countries.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Best: Montreal, London, Madrid, New York, Havana

Worst: Cancun, Florence, Amsterdam

On the bucket list: Tokyo, Berlin, Barcelona, Hong Kong, Rio de Janeiro, Liverpool (mostly for the Beatles related stuff), Moscow, Athens, Cairo and Dubai.

Last edited by panamaniac on Sat May 19, 2018 3:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:

On the bucket list: Tokyo, Berlin, Barcelona, Hong Kong, Liverpool (mostly for the Beatles related history), Moscow, Athens, Cairo and Dubai.

What was so bad about those three?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
The Grind wrote:

On the bucket list: Tokyo, Berlin, Barcelona, Hong Kong, Liverpool (mostly for the Beatles related history), Moscow, Athens, Cairo and Dubai.

Florence I found quite boring, though I was only there for a couple of days. Cancún just seemed really bland, like you're constantly bombarded with TGI Fridays, Hard Rock Cafe, McDonald's etc.For the sake of some variety, not necesarily my cup of tea. Daytime activities were actually lots of fun tho (scuba diving and mayan ruins definitely the highlights) .. and Amsterdam, well I'm not an avid pot smoker so I just kind of found myself looking around, mostly at other people stoned lol..

I don't really "hate" any place that I've visited. But those were just the least enjoyable for me. I generally try to look for something positive to take home from anywhere I go.

Last edited by panamaniac on Sat May 19, 2018 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Snipes wrote:

Indeed. What part of Thailand do you live in? I spent time in Bangkok and then time up north, and very much like different countries.

I live in the Northeast on the border with Laos. The people are ethnically Lao and most locals speak Lao As well as Thai. Our little city also has a big Vietnamese population. Lots of Lao laborers and Vietnamese shop owners though many of the Vietnamese can no longer speak their language.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
The Grind wrote:

Florence I found quite boring, though I was only there for a couple of days. Cancún just seemed really bland, like you're constantly bombarded with TGI Fridays, Hard Rock Cafe, McDonald's etc.For the sake of some variety, not necesarily my cup of tea. Daytime activities were actually lots of fun tho (scuba diving and mayan ruins definitely the highlights) .. and Amsterdam, well I'm not an avid pot smoker so I just kind of found myself looking around, mostly at other people stoned lol..

I don't really "hate" any place that I've visited. But those were just the least enjoyable for me. I generally try to look for something positive to take home from anywhere I go.

Fwiw, if all you saw of Amsterdam was the areas where the major hash houses are, that’s on you, not Amsterdam. That’s like hating NY because you thought Wall Street was boring.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
The Grind wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
The Grind wrote:

Fwiw, if all you saw of Amsterdam was the areas where the major hash houses are, that’s on you, not Amsterdam. That’s like hating NY because you thought Wall Street was boring.

I saw plenty (I was trying to keep it short but was the main reason). I did scoop up some good LP's, so I'll give it that. Museums were ok; I also checked out some art galleries that where interesting but unmoving. Yeah, the weed capital of the world thing didn't faze me one bit either, and its cultural landmarks were fairly unremarkable, at least compared to other major Euro cities (imo). Also the red light district (and general glorification of prostitution) kind of creeped me out. Not my kind of city, what can I tell ya. I will concede I'm fairly peculiar when it comes to my tastes, so it is what it is. I do know lots of people who loved Amsterdam, I take it you were one of those?

In fairness, my trip to Amsterdam was over 10 years ago so it might have changed a bit. One thing I will say, it is a city with a unique vibe.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I stayed on a boat in a canal while there, and had a blast. And I didn’t get high or partake in the red light district.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject:

That sounds neat. You enjoyed it from a different perspective.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
The Grind wrote:

Wow, I loved Florence and Amsterdam, but especially Florence. =/
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject:

Anyone have any suggestions for London?

Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Museums, museums, museums. The British empire stole more stuff than a kleptomaniac in an unguarded convenience store.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Yeah, get out and go to Dorset and Dover

Hastings has good fish and chips - better than London
Laker4andmore
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Go to the city of London corporation. Lots of interesting symbolism over there.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: