PAUL GEORGE Thread (Scared to "Straddle the Fence" with Lakers and throws Jab at LeBron, pg. 1027)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 777, 778, 779 ... 1026, 1027, 1028  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject:

Exactly. I am more worried about putting all my PG eggs in Lonzo. We can't @ any cost, be 20-30 games with The Caruso, Ennis alikes. Look at the Celtics. They went to the playoffs without their starting PG KIrving, but they got Rozier and Smart who has mitigated the loss.

Last edited by lakerican on Tue May 15, 2018 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject:

we don't have starters and we are worrying about bench PGs lol

IT maybe will be good but he sucks all the ball movement from the offense.

many other better options out there over IT as a backup PG. the dude doesn't even want to be a backup. so thats out of question
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
George would have to play with us for 4 years to get a NTC.

I believe they were referring to Pg getting a no trade clause to protect himself from getting traded by OKC like Griffin was by the Clips. It’s a given that you can’t give a NTC to a guy you’re picking up in FA.

Then he would have to play with them for 3 more seasons
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
George would have to play with us for 4 years to get a NTC.

I think he could get one from Indiana.

He could
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
waterman40 wrote:
^^ I can see a path where IT comes back here. If LBJ doesn't come here and we are punting space for 2019, both IT and Brook will likely be back on 1 year deals. What matters is if someone is willing to give IT something like 3 years $36 million, in which case, we have no chance.

But if the prognosis is that IT will be ready to play at the start of the season, I could see him getting a 1 year deal in the $12-18 million range to sweeten it. IT can score, gets to the foul line and makes his shots, and wasn't a problem here last season. If Lonzo struggles, or continues to be injury prone, there is a lot of minutes available to IT to showcase getting a bigger deal in 2019.

A 1+1 deal for Isaiah Thomas with a Team Option on the 2nd year would be the best case scenario for us and probably for him too, if he plays well during the season he gets that 2nd year. But no matter what we pay him that first year it will only count against our cap to his cap hold. Which was cheaper than Clarkson's contract.

So win/win.

The salary we give him would count against our cap once he signs.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Thomas would be a huge catalyst on offense. Especially if he is close to his pre-hip surgery level. My concern lies on his ability on defense.

Depending on the cost and roster makeup I would prefer Beverly, Smart or even KCP type over IT. More overall impact on both ends of the court

I don’t understand how people underestimate his hip surgery/injury. That’s crucial for a basketball player. I could see him sitting out a part of next season too and hopping onto a contender later.

Eh, people continually underestimate Leonard’s quad injury.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Thomas would be a huge catalyst on offense. Especially if he is close to his pre-hip surgery level. My concern lies on his ability on defense.

Depending on the cost and roster makeup I would prefer Beverly, Smart or even KCP type over IT. More overall impact on both ends of the court

I don’t understand how people underestimate his hip surgery/injury. That’s crucial for a basketball player. I could see him sitting out a part of next season too and hopping onto a contender later.

think it is more "blindly estimate" in regards to Leonard because we simply do not know....he could be 100% right now for all we know. or he could be looking at missing part of next season. We know IT's hip could have an impact for the remainder of his career based on some reporting, and we know he is not 100% today.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

think it is more "blindly estimate" in regards to Leonard because we simply do not know....he could be 100% right now for all we know. or he could be looking at missing part of next season. We know IT's hip could have an impact for the remainder of his career based on some reporting, and we know he is not 100% today.

All I know is one player could play for 32 games... and one player could play for 9. One player had an actual procedure to repair the problem. The other I believe just rested.

I've read up on both injuries and neither is clear cut.

If you want to say the hip is more challenging... fine... for the sake of argument I'll concede that point.

What I find puzzling however, is the polar opposite responses from the board. Both are two time all stars... Kawhi the superior defender and two way player... but IT is no slouch having averaged 29 points last season... which only 8 other players have accomplished in the last 12 years and the others who have are all first ballot HOF players. IT scored 50 points in the playoffs only one year ago. Hard to imagine any of our guys doing that by next year.

So one guy... some are willing to trade two, even three quality players as well as draft picks. The other, few even are willing to sign him for a one year show me contract. I could see raised eyebrows if IT supporters were advocating a max contract... signing him instead of LBJ or Kawhi... demanding that he become a starter. But all I've seen is people suggesting we might use him as Lonzo's backup if and only if... LBJ doesn't sign.

One player some will give up two important players and picks... and sign for a 30 million per year max contract without seeing him play a single game... the other they don't want for one year as a backup while giving up zero assets.

I don't think anyone argues that Kawhi is better... I don't think anyone argues that LBJ is better... All some of us are saying is that he will be a good backup until Lonzo finds his shot.

It's absolutely mindboggling why the difference in perception is so skewed.

And this is not even yet discussing the argument of one guy sacrificing an enormous contract for the sake of his team... and the other guy (if healthy) essentially quitting on a man who lost his wife, who's been his coach and mentor for many years.

If I'm willing to give Kawhi the benefit of the doubt in spite of all the red flags... seems like some of you should cut IT some slack too, if it's only backup for one year.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Did someone hit the “IT” Bat signal by accident again?
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Last night we were discussing several lineups and how we might or might not be able to sign Kawhi/KL/LBJ together.

IT's name didn't come up once.

However, if someone brings up his injury and they don't bring up Kawhi's... yes I may respond if I feel the bias is unfair.

Kawhi - loss of two assets + draft picks and max contract... no injury problem... I trust the doctors

IT - no loss of assets/1 year contract... end of the f*cking world... doctors cannot be trusted.

You don't see a disproportionate response?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject:

I think many of us have brought up KL’s injury issues aplenty. Not sure why IT has to always be brought up.
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject:

PG.Ingram
SG.PG13
SF.Kawhi
PF.Kuzma
C.Randle

that should be our line up. switch everything..
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject:

watchME wrote:
PG.Ingram
SG.PG13
SF.Kawhi
PF.Kuzma
C.Randle

No.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Who else is super glad Magic and Rob didn’t relinquish BI to Indiana last year, just to get George a year early?
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject:

watchME wrote:
PG.Ingram
SG.PG13
SF.Kawhi
PF.Kuzma
C.Randle

I'm cool with that!
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Who else is super glad Magic and Rob didn’t relinquish BI to Indiana last year, just to get George a year early?

So why do it this year for Leonard? Sign Pg, Randle and Leonard next year.Tell Lebron if he wants to play here it will have to be for the minimum and you will not have any Gm powers.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject:

I am still not ready to trade any of our kids or picks. JR would be the only one who we may have to trade (as much as I do not want it to happen). As far as Deng, I am not willing to trade him and attach a pick. The way our scouting department has performed, our picks are gold. In fact, if we don't make noise by signing a max player, I am perfectly fine with taking on an ending contract and grabbing another first. Our real team is in all likelihood not going to be completely formulated until next season.
omzzzzz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject:

The Dagger wrote:
Judah wrote:

So why do it this year for Leonard? Sign Pg, Randle and Leonard next year.Tell Lebron if he wants to play here it will have to be for the minimum and you will not have any Gm powers.

Ask me again in July and then i'll tell you once he signs on the dotted line.

As for Kawhi, most guys like that just don't make it to free agency. Paul George has been screaming from the mountain tops that he wants to be a Laker for more than a year. Kawhi hasn't been so forthcoming about where he wants to go. It's much less certain we get him if we wait it out.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject:

It's very, very easy to insinuate Kawhi is a bum for not coming back injured when you don't have a 10 figure deal and the rest of your career on the line.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Maybe the same guy who fired off the confetti in Philly.

eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:

Definitely glad we still have BI. From what I remember the Lakers offered the #27 and #28 pick + Randle for Paul George. Which means we would have lost Randle but also Kuzma/Hart. Plus Thomas Bryant I guess since we traded #28 for #30 + #42.

Hopefully it works out and he comes here. If he doesn't come here then you have to question if he would have for sure stayed after we gave up major assets to acquire him.
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject:

I am totally in the minority here but I think PG is vastly over rated,as well as possessing a shall we say " less than competitive spirit"

We may have hated Greg Foster but at least he had the balls to make a throat slitting gesture or two.

PG is a little light in the loafers you feel me?

Maybe this is just an indictment of the league as a whole these days.
Extra Pass
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject:

dubaholic1 wrote:
I am totally in the minority here but I think PG is vastly over rated,

Nope. I think he is as well. He just hasn't shown me consistent eliteness to be a max guy. But I'm also picky having a skills training background.

I'm not sure how much he loves basketball. He may. But I don't know.
My main qualms are that I'm not sure if he makes guys better. His playmaking isn't that impressive. The best attribute is that he's a 2 way player, a really good one, but his defense comes and goes. If you're a numbers guys, his numbers don't even hold him up high in A LOT of categories.

He isn't a bad shooter. He isn't great. I feel like he still hasn't gotten down his spots on the floor. By age 28, the greats know all the spots they want to operate in and they can get there at ease. Whether it's really good players who aren't at the top like Portland's back court, or the most elite (Harden, curry/KD/LeBron), or even a young great player like Anthony Davis - they know their spots. PG has to improve his handle and learn moves to get to the sweet spots to open up his game more.

I just think there's better options and I'm not sure George helps develop our young core. I hope PG could prove me wrong. I think this is a huge off-season for him as far as improving goes.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject:

dubaholic1 wrote:
I am totally in the minority here but I think PG is vastly over rated,as well as possessing a shall we say " less than competitive spirit"

We may have hated Greg Foster but at least he had the balls to make a throat slitting gesture or two.

I agree that he is overrated by some here, those who think he will lead the team to playoff success. He isn’t a first option but works well as a 2nd/3rd option.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:

I agree that he is overrated by some here, those who think he will lead the team to playoff success. He isn’t a first option but works well as a 2nd/3rd option.

d lee got a max: when he was 3rd option
Batum got a max when he is basically a average player
Whiteside got a max when is a pouty and his skill set is ancient right now.

many others did as well.

point is making playoffs and giving the young guys the experience to grow is important.

if you are expecting Paul George to be #1 option on championship team then you don't have the right expectations for him
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 777, 778, 779 ... 1026, 1027, 1028  Next
Page 778 of 1028
Jump to: