Official 2018 NBA Draft Thread: Lakers select Moe Wagner (#25), Isaac Bonga (#39), and Svi Mykhailiuk (#47) - see 1st page for draft links
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 170, 171, 172 ... 492, 493, 494  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:
Mitchell Robinson probably received a promise.

Just like Chandler Hutchinson pulling out of the combine today. He probably got a promise.

Chandler Hutchinson pulled out of combine?

Yes.

the irony
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:

Just like Chandler Hutchinson pulling out of the combine today. He probably got a promise.

Yes.

the irony

how do you not comprehend that hutchison has played 4 years of college basketball while mitchell robinson has not played a game in a year and none of us have seen him play a second of competitive basketball? how can any of you have any confidence about him as a prospect if you've never seen him play before? or if you have seen footage, please feel free to share it.
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
repandpresent wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Well, now that that's over, I'm down for De'Anthony Melton.

DAM! We'll shout as he yams in DeAndre Ayton's mug.

He's my underrated most likely to be Donovan Mitchell pick.

I like Melton but he does not have Mitchells fast twitch or athleticism.

He reminds me a lot of Joe Johnson. Just old school fundamentals. A player with a chance at a very long career.

Nor his handle not close

Kind of disagree on twitch actually. It just really stands out defensively, not offensively. Reads the floor pretty well too on both ends, but reacts unusually quick to those reads.

Ok I re-watched Melton and....he does have some Mitchell stuff..I can be unbothered by that comp a bit because he did all this as a freshman.. I def think he has a high standing reach with the solid 6'8 wingspan, when he puts his arms up on defense they go forever, watch that.
Disappointing to only see 1 explosive dunk...but I'd be really interested to see all of his attributes in a workout after a year off. Who knows what's improved.

He has legit starter potential ..could maybe be my fav for the pick. His ballhandling looks like it has more potential than I thought, especially considering he was a freshman. His defense could be crazy, crazy at the guard spots

Really high on Melton, but I don't see him ever developing a scoring mindset.

He will be the guard version of Draymond Green.

maybe a better comp is Marcus Banks
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

You have attacked Mitchell Robinson for not showing up for combine and having questionable/non-professional people advising him. Replace his name with Lonzo, and it is a similar story in those two facets....he avoided the combine, would only work out for one team, and refused to workout with any other prospects or do 1 on 1 drills....and had the most questionable guy advising him in recent history. Somehow none of this ever bothered you....but it puts Robinson on the "no draft" list.

You didn't know me last year, did you?

I was questioning Lonzo all the way up until a week of draft day.

you had him at #2 (or #3...not sure if you had Tatum at #2) for months before the draft. It clearly did not appear to bother you if you have the guy at #2 or #3 when a lot of the guys you listen to/respect did not have him that high.

So, at what point will you understand that we got to see him play, but not Mitchell Robinson for a season?

ok, I feel you moved the goal posts....but we can just disagree on this.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:

Yes.

the irony

how do you not comprehend that hutchison has played 4 years of college basketball while mitchell robinson has not played a game in a year and none of us have seen him play a second of competitive basketball? how can any of you have any confidence about him as a prospect if you've never seen him play before? or if you have seen footage, please feel free to share it.

don't do that
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
If the lakers select on potential and upside I would not mind if they take a flyer on Isaac Bonga at 25 given he is in the draft.

He will need 2-3 years of development but his physical attributes and current skill level is high given his age and height.

Any thoughts?

Na man this draft is too good in our range to take a complete question mark. He'll be there in the 40s

Even in a draft this deep every prospect at 25 is a question mark that has some kind of pimple against him.

But I get what you mean especially when it comes to international prospects.

We don't get to see them regularly against known competition so the question mark looks bigger in our eyes.

To me - a question mark is a player who can't shoot. Other guys in our range may possibly have incomplete games, but they have the most important skill - shooting.

Are you in favor of Hutchinson? He is a good scorer but not a shooter. Don't care for his form and from his misses he seems to lack touch which is a big red flag.

Bonga's shooting stroke looks better and with some tweaks he has the potential to be at least league average.

I have always believed bbiq and desire is what separates players in the NBA. Everyone has skill and physical attributes that allows them to compete at the highest level but how they apply their skills is what separates them.

JC should have been a lot better player given his physical attributes and skill but his mind set was a big negative.

Matt Thomas is probably a better shooter than anyone on the Lakers but their interest in him was luke warm and is not in the league. Why?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject:

I feel very confident that this front office would be far more interested in Jontay Porter over Mitchell Robinson.

I could see Melton being of serious interest if he looks like he can shoot the ball well in workouts. If he could shoot it reasonably well, he could be our version of Marcus Smart on the Celtics, but with a better shot. Could see him being a bit of a sleeper pick like Kuzma was last year.

Hoping for Porter or Huerter at 25, but there will be many players in that spot that I would like. I feel like we won't be interested in Robinson or Simons.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
I've seen this strategy happen before, way before twitter and FB were this big, but okay dude.

yeah, saw it last year when Lonzo was a complete no show at the combine.

Quote:

This only works with guys like KAT or Fultz where dudes only take on 1 or 2 workouts at most, [b]but at least they interview. Robinson shut everything down.
[/b]

Lonzo didnt.....he did not show up. Fultz showed up and did some measurements and interviews. Also, you mentioned Bynum....but think it worked out pretty well for him, no?

Lonzo had Magic and Pelinka show up to his house for the day.

Is Mitchell Robinson doing that?

And you said it, Fultz did measurements and interviews. Robinson cancelled.

And Bynum. Still, measurements and interviews.

Robinson cancelled.

Fair to assume? I think so. You want to be a professional without doing a job interview? Okay.

Long after the combine....and only because they were not sold on his initial workout. In my opinion, it was pretty clear they had little option but to select Ball.

You have attacked Mitchell Robinson for not showing up for combine and having questionable/non-professional people advising him. Replace his name with Lonzo, and it is a similar story in those two facets....he avoided the combine, would only work out for one team, and refused to workout with any other prospects or do 1 on 1 drills....and had the most questionable guy advising him in recent history. Somehow none of this ever bothered you....but it puts Robinson on the "no draft" list.

The Stories are not similar, Ball had a full year at UCLA . And you know that he wanted to be drafted by the Lakers. That is why he decided not to go talk to other teams or deal with the combine.

Mitch didn't play and you have no idea what he wants to do or why he is doing it. Does he have a injury? is he soft? Maybe he is afraid of people? we have no clue
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject:

our FO will never make a promise to someone or draft someone without having worked them out/attended a workout of theirs like a pro day.

so if people are pulling out of the combine and the lakers have not attended a pro day/worked them out, we're probably not picking them.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject:

noahp45 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
I've seen this strategy happen before, way before twitter and FB were this big, but okay dude.

Quote:

This only works with guys like KAT or Fultz where dudes only take on 1 or 2 workouts at most, [b]but at least they interview. Robinson shut everything down.
[/b]

Lonzo didnt.....he did not show up. Fultz showed up and did some measurements and interviews. Also, you mentioned Bynum....but think it worked out pretty well for him, no?

Robinson cancelled.

Fair to assume? I think so. You want to be a professional without doing a job interview? Okay.

Long after the combine....and only because they were not sold on his initial workout. In my opinion, it was pretty clear they had little option but to select Ball.

The Stories are not similar, Ball had a full year at UCLA . And you know that he wanted to be drafted by the Lakers. That is why he decided not to go talk to other teams or deal with the combine.

Mitch didn't play and you have no idea what he wants to do or why he is doing it. Does he have a injury? is he soft? Maybe he is afraid of people? we have no clue

nor did I say the stories were the same....I said "similar story in those two facets"....I would expect the Lakers to learn if he had an injury or was afraid of people before they drafted him as they would any player. There have been many very good players....we even drafted or traded for a couple.....that did not play in college.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
our FO will never make a promise to someone or draft someone without having worked them out/attended a workout of theirs like a pro day.

so if people are pulling out of the combine and the lakers have not attended a pro day/worked them out, we're probably not picking them.

but your assuming the Lakers will not work him out? I agree if they do not work him out, they very likely will not draft him....but the vast majority of workouts have not taken place, nor do we know who is scheduled to work out.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:

Agree!!!
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

6. Luka Doncic: I decided to watch some Dario Saric highlights in Europe to give me a baseline, knowing how he looks in the NBA, to refresh my memory on the differences in speed/athleticism between Europe and the NBA. I'm glad I did, because it convinced me that unless Doncic suddenly becomes more athletic (which he may under real NBA training), he's a 4, not a 3 (and definitely not a PG). Using Saric as a baseline, Doncic has relatively similar athleticism. Doncic is a better shooter than Saric (which is a big compliment) and has a much better handle (a really impressive handle for someone his size). However, I'm still left feeling like we've seen this player before. In regards to his PG skills, while he has good Saric-like passing ability (maybe slightly better), he doesn't have vision like a Ben Simmons or other transformative NBA PGs. Also, good luck getting Doncic to competently defend NBA point guards or shooting guards, no less small forwards. I don't think he has the athleticism to keep up with modern day guards/wings and, again, should be asked to guard NBA 4s unless his athleticism/lateral mobility improves. Criticisms aside, he does have potential and he is still pretty young (younger than Saric is now), so he has time to improve (and get in NBA shape, which he isn't right now). I wouldn't be surprised if he makes all-star games one day, but my gut says he's another Danillo Gallinari or Dario Saric... good players, but not worthy of a top 3 pick. I think his resume to date exceeds his actual ultimate potential.

Regarding age, Saric was drafted at age 20 and went to NBA at age 22. At age 22 he averaged 10-6-2 in the EuroLeague. Doncic is 19 and averages 16-5-5 in EuroLeague. In 40 minutes and at slower pace.

I didn't watch much of college basketball, but I've seen Doncic a lot. I can't say who's gonna be #1, but if it's not Doncic, the guy must be good as hell.

He's doing things in Europe nobody has done at his age. Ever. Sure he needs to adjust to NBA game: speed, athleticism and so on. And I wouldn't say he's below average, given his age, he has room for improvement.

But, his talent level is through the roof: he passes, shoots and rebounds beyond his years and his handling is rare for someone his size. Btw, his passing is way better than Satic's. IMHO. His BBIQ is also very high for a 19yo.

He's already used to the big stage: he was #2, behind Dragic, in the first EuroBasket title won by the tiny Slovenia. Almost triple-doubled in the semis against Spain (11-12-8). And he was EuroBasket All Team, along Dragic and Pau, at the age 18.

He plays 1-3 (1-2 in Madrid, 3 in Slovenia) and I don't know where he's fitting in the NBA, maybe a playmaking SF, backup PG, idk. But I wouldn't sell him low just based on athleticism, especially because it's not that bad - he can bump his way to the rim against grown man. He definitively brings much more to the table than Saric or Gallinari.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't bet on Doncic for ROY. I think he needs a couple of years to adapt to the NBA.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
I wouldn't bet on Doncic for ROY. I think he needs a couple of years to adapt to the NBA.

a lot of guys that are super high on him such as Cole Zwicker claim he is the most ready to contribute immediately guy in the draft.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject:

I think Doncic is a better prospect than Saric was, which is why he should go in the top 6 (and maybe as high as 3rd), whereas Saric, IIRC, was a top 15 draft pick. However, while skilled and smart, there is a huge gap between speed of the game and athleticism in Europe versus the NBA. I think Doncic is an NBA 4, and has all-star potential at that position. However, I don't see him as having a ceiling like Ben Simmons.

The unknown variable is his age and what happens once he's subjected to NBA training (I think Doncic could get in much better shape, which, if he does, could make him more athletic and, thus, expand his ceiling as well). Once he is the NBA for a couple of year and is in better shape, we'll see.... but that caveat can be said for almost any draft pick. Just, personally, right now and at a minimum, I'd take Jackson Jr. and Ayton over him.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

but your assuming the Lakers will not work him out? I agree if they do not work him out, they very likely will not draft him....but the vast majority of workouts have not taken place, nor do we know who is scheduled to work out.

i meant to say - if the lakers have not attended a pro day/worked them out by draft day, then yes, we're not drafting them.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Quote:

[/b]

Robinson cancelled.

nor did I say the stories were the same....I said "similar story in those two facets"....I would expect the Lakers to learn if he had an injury or was afraid of people before they drafted him as they would any player. There have been many very good players....we even drafted or traded for a couple.....that did not play in college.

KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:

We saw Kuz workout 3 times before drafting him...Hart 2-3 times. Combine, pro-day, Laker workout
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

We saw Kuz workout 3 times before drafting him...Hart 2-3 times. Combine, pro-day, Laker workout

ya i'd probably consider ourselves out of the running for robinson and hutchison given if they've pulled out of combine they're likely pulling out of all other workouts/pro days/interviews etc. and if they won't work out for us we probably won't draft them
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

ya i'd probably consider ourselves out of the running for robinson and hutchison given if they've pulled out of combine they're likely pulling out of all other workouts/pro days/interviews etc. and if they won't work out for us we probably won't draft them

Yupp. Gotta re-think my #1 for 25
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I think Doncic is a better prospect than Saric was, which is why he should go in the top 6 (and maybe as high as 3rd), whereas Saric, IIRC, was a top 15 draft pick. However, while skilled and smart, there is a huge gap between speed of the game and athleticism in Europe versus the NBA. I think Doncic is an NBA 4, and has all-star potential at that position. However, I don't see him as having a ceiling like Ben Simmons.

The unknown variable is his age and what happens once he's subjected to NBA training (I think Doncic could get in much better shape, which, if he does, could make him more athletic and, thus, expand his ceiling as well). Once he is the NBA for a couple of year and is in better shape, we'll see.... but that caveat can be said for almost any draft pick. Just, personally, right now and at a minimum, I'd take Jackson Jr. and Ayton over him.

I don't think Doncic gets by Vlade at #2.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
If the lakers select on potential and upside I would not mind if they take a flyer on Isaac Bonga at 25 given he is in the draft.

He will need 2-3 years of development but his physical attributes and current skill level is high given his age and height.

Any thoughts?

Na man this draft is too good in our range to take a complete question mark. He'll be there in the 40s

Even in a draft this deep every prospect at 25 is a question mark that has some kind of pimple against him.

But I get what you mean especially when it comes to international prospects.

We don't get to see them regularly against known competition so the question mark looks bigger in our eyes.

To me - a question mark is a player who can't shoot. Other guys in our range may possibly have incomplete games, but they have the most important skill - shooting.

Are you in favor of Hutchinson? He is a good scorer but not a shooter. Don't care for his form and from his misses he seems to lack touch which is a big red flag.

Bonga's shooting stroke looks better and with some tweaks he has the potential to be at least league average.

I have always believed bbiq and desire is what separates players in the NBA. Everyone has skill and physical attributes that allows them to compete at the highest level but how they apply their skills is what separates them.

JC should have been a lot better player given his physical attributes and skill but his mind set was a big negative.

Matt Thomas is probably a better shooter than anyone on the Lakers but their interest in him was luke warm and is not in the league. Why?

Bonga's form being decent..let alone better than Hutchinson is the wildest thing I've heard today, man. It looks like it's his first years shooting a basketball, very mechanical bend of knees and a pause at the top..slowwwww. while Hutch shot 36% on 4 attempts.
Very wild, wild , wild statement
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Is Bonga really 18 years old? He looks like he's 40, lol.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Doncic was the 4th-leading scorer & 4th-leading assist guy in the 2nd best league in the world at age 18/19. For whatever it's worth, I don't think anyone has ever matched his statistical production in the Euroleague at the same age.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 170, 171, 172 ... 492, 493, 494  Next
Page 171 of 494
Jump to: