2018-19 NFL Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 104, 105, 106  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lions coach Matt Patricia met with reporters on Thursday, as part of a previously-scheduled press conference. He opened by making a statement regarding the story that surfaced on Wednesday evening of an indictment from 1996 on a charge of aggravated sexual assault. After his statement ended, he took roughly 13 questions.

“I’m here to defend my honor and clear my name,” Patricia said, reading from a prepared text. “Twenty-two years ago I was falsely accused of something very serious, very serious allegations. There were claims made about me that never happened. While I’m thankful on one level that the process worked and the case was dismissed, at the same time I was never given the opportunity to defend myself or to allow to push back with the truth to clear my name. This was something that was very traumatic to me when I was 21 years old, and once it was finally addressed, I tried to put it behind me.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/10/matt-patricia-reiterates-his-innocence-during-press-conference/
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/12/adam-vinatieri-now-has-teammates-born-after-he-played-his-first-nfl-game/

Quote:
Adam Vinatieri now has teammates born after he played his first NFL game

Adam Vinatieri, the Colts’ 45-year-old kicker, has reached a landmark few NFL players have achieved: He now has teammates who were born after he made his NFL debut.

Vinatieri played his first NFL game on September 1, 1996, kicking a field goal and an extra point for the Patriots in a loss to the Dolphins. The Colts released their full roster of rookies for this weekend’s minicamp, and it shows two players born after that: running back Nyheim Hines, born November 12, 1996, and cornerback Henre’ Toliver, born October 21, 1996.

Last year Vinatieri had a teammate in Quincy Wilson who was less than a month old when Vinatieri made his NFL debut. Wilson was born on August 16, 1996.

Vinatieri has kicked 559 field goals and scored 2,487 points in his career, both second-most in NFL history behind Morten Andersen. If he plays all 16 games he’s sure to break Andersen’s record, and his young teammates will be there to see NFL history that started before they were old enough to watch football.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject:

RIP Chuck Knox.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
RIP Chuck Knox.

Damn, that's too bad. I just read he was suffering from dementia in his later years, and that he was in hospice care. He had a pretty good run, and is probably one of the best coaches who never coached in a Super Bowl. Three NFC Championship appearances with the Rams, and one with the Seahawks, though. RIP.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/13/emmett-cleary-retired-from-the-nfl-to-become-a-doctor/

Quote:
Emmett Cleary retired from the NFL to become a doctor

Last month Lions offensive lineman Emmett Cleary announced his retirement at age 27, but he didn’t say why he was walking away. Now he has said why: He’s going to medical school.

Cleary told ESPN he started to realize he was always going to be just the guy fighting for a roster spot and a league-minimum salary, and so he decided he wanted something more.

“It’s a tough league, and most guys don’t get to [walk away on their own] for whatever reason,” he said. “But let’s not . . . I’m not Jason Witten here. I’ve been a fringe player for years and years and years. I’ve been cut plenty of times. Yeah, the league was going to be done with me at some point, so I’m not too hung up on the way it ended. I hope Joe Thomas got a little more press than me this offseason. That’s truly walking away on your own terms. I’m on the minimum.”

Cleary will start medical school at USC in the fall, and for now he’s in Chicago working as a research assistant and data analyst studying physical therapy and brain function.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/14/hue-jackson-to-jump-in-a-lake-for-charity/

Quote:
Hue Jackson to jump in a lake for charity

Hue Jackson is a man of his word, but his doctor still had a say.

According to Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the Browns head coach is going to make good on his promise from after the 2016 season to jump in Lake Erie if his team went 1-15 again.

Of course, the Browns went 0-16, so there was technically a loophole. But a promise is a promise.

“It’s going to be a cleansing of the Cleveland Browns,” Jackson said earlier this year. “That’s what it will be.”

Jackson said he was doing so for charity (specifically, his foundation which works to fight human trafficking), and would pledge $100 for every Browns employee who jumped in the lake with him.

It would have been more of a punishment had he done so in the winter, but there’s a reason he didn’t. Jackson had a stent placed in his heart in 2014, and his doctors forbade him for plunging into the frigid right-after-the-season water.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/14/fox-confirms-joe-buck-troy-aikman-will-call-thursday-night-football/

Quote:
FOX confirms Joe Buck, Troy Aikman will call Thursday Night Football

NFL fans will get a double dose of Joe Buck and Troy Aikman this season.

FOX confirmed today that Buck and Aikman, who were already the top Sunday afternoon duo for the network, will also call the new Thursday night package.

That will be a lot of work for the two, who may get some Sundays off. Buck will likely need some NFL games off in the fall when he calls the baseball playoffs for FOX. It is not known yet who will team with Aikman while Buck is focusing on baseball.

In the past the NFL required its Thursday night partners, CBS and NBC, to use the top Sunday team on Thursdays. But this year the league made no such requirement, and FOX first tried to get Peyton Manning to call the games before deciding to go with Buck and Aikman when Manning said no. In the end, FOX decided to go the same route and give Thursday nights to its top Sunday team.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/14/report-owner-of-l-a-mansion-suing-jay-ajayi-for-25000-in-damages/

Quote:
Report: Owner of L.A. mansion suing Jay Ajayi for $25,000 in damages

The owner of a 6,000-square-foot home in Los Angeles is suing Eagles running back Jay Ajayi for $25,000 in damages, TMZ Sports reports.

Ajayi and a friend stayed at the mansion for five days after the Super Bowl in February, throwing at least three parties, according to TMZ. The owner specifically banned parties at the house, and charged $5,000 for each party, though Ajayi has yet to pay the charges.

The owner claims Ajayi broke a table, scratched floors and violated the no smoking policy during Ajayi’s stay.

He also accuses Ajayi of pushing him in the chest “in a menacing and threatening manner” when the owner confronted the running back February 18. The owner said local security was called to remove Ajayi from the property.

TMZ said neither Ajayi nor his representation has responded to a request for comment.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
RIP Chuck Knox.

Damn, that's too bad. I just read he was suffering from dementia in his later years, and that he was in hospice care. He had a pretty good run, and is probably one of the best coaches who never coached in a Super Bowl. Three NFC Championship appearances with the Rams, and one with the Seahawks, though. RIP.

The regular season records of those Ram teams is really impressive. It’s too bad that when the Rams finally made a Super Bowl, it was a team that was 9-7 instead of one of their better teams.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/16/hall-of-fame-honors-super-bowl-photograph-of-nick-foles-and-his-daughter/

Quote:
Hall of Fame honors Super Bowl photograph of Nick Foles and his daughter
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 16, 2018, 6:18 PM EDT

Getty Images
A perfect moment for Nick Foles is being immortalized at the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

After Foles was named Super Bowl MVP for leading the Eagles to the championship, he celebrated with his daughter, Lily. The moment was captured by Getty Images staff photographer Rob Carr.

Carr’s photograph has been chosen as the winner of the Dave Boss Award of Excellence in the 50th Annual Pro Football Hall of Fame Photo Contest.

The Hall of Fame will recognize Carr at this summer’s enshrinement ceremonies, and his photograph of Nick and Lily Foles will go on display at the Hall of Fame.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Kind of surprised it wasn't done already

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/16/bills-to-retire-thurman-thomass-number-34/

Quote:
Bills to retire Thurman Thomas’s number 34

Thurman Thomas will become just the third player in the history of the Buffalo Bills to have his number retired.

The Bills announced today that Thomas’s No. 34 jersey will be hung in the rafters during the Bills’ Monday Night Football game against the Patriots on October 29.

Thomas will join his former teammates Jim Kelly (No. 12) and Bruce Smith (No. 78) as the only players with their jerseys retired by the Bills. The team also does not give out O.J. Simpson’s No. 32, although his number hasn’t been formally retired.

Today was a good day to announce the move, as it’s Thomas’s 52nd birthday.

Thomas played for the Bills from 1988 to 1999. He was a first-team All-Pro three times and league MVP in 1991. A running back who was also an excellent receiver, Thomas led the league in yards from scrimmage four years in a row from 1989 to 1992.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/19/cowboys-terrance-williams-arrested/

Quote:
Cowboys’ Terrance Williams arrested

Cowboys wide receiver Terrance Williams was arrested early this morning.

The Star-Telegram reports that police responded to a call of a vehicle accident at 4:45 a.m. near the Cowboys’ headquarters and found a 2017 Lamborghini had struck a light pole, and the driver had fled the scene.

Police ran the plate and found that the Lamborghini was registered to Williams. Police later located him riding an electric bicycle in a roadway, and when they stopped him they arrested him for public intoxication. The traffic accident is still being investigated and Williams has not been charged for that.

Williams is currently not practicing during the Cowboys’ offseason program as he recovers from a foot injury.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Johnny Manziel’s next stop will be the Canadian Football League.

Manziel, the former Browns draft bust, said in a video distributed by Barstool Sports that he is heading to Canada.

“I am formally signing in the CFL,” he said. “I have decided to sign with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. I’ll be up here for it looks like two years. I’ll be getting back to playing ball. That’s what I want to do.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/19/johnny-manziel-says-hes-heading-to-the-cfl/
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The Christian Hackenberg era has come to an end for the Jets, after zero games played.

Hackenberg has been traded to the Raiders for a conditional seventh-round draft pick.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/22/jets-trade-christian-hackenberg-to-raiders-for-seventh-round-pick/
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Rule changes:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23575001/nfl-approves-rule-changes-kickoffs-allows-replay-review-ejections

Video review of targeting calls is a welcome change.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Rule changes:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23575001/nfl-approves-rule-changes-kickoffs-allows-replay-review-ejections

Video review of targeting calls is a welcome change.

Seems like we see a lot of penalties with the new helmet rule.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Hunter Henry out for the season with a torn ACL....Chargers now need a TE....
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:37 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Hunter Henry out for the season with a torn ACL....Chargers now need a TE....

What a massive blow for them.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/22/brett-favre-reveals-he-went-to-rehab-three-times/

Quote:
Brett Favre reveals he went to rehab three times

Brett Favre was open about his addiction to painkillers during his playing career. But he has just revealed his struggle with addiction hung over his life for longer than he had previously disclosed.

Favre told Peter King that his 1996 stint in a rehab facility was one of three times during his NFL career that he had to seek in-patient treatment for addiction, both to painkillers and to alcohol.

“That was an MVP year for me,” Favre told King, referring to the 1995 season. “But that year, when I woke up in the morning, my first thought was, ‘I gotta get more pills.’ I took 14 Vicodin, yes, one time. I was getting an hour or two of sleep many nights. Maybe 30 minutes of quality sleep. I was the MVP on a pain-pill buzz. The crazy thing was, I’m not a night owl. Without pills I’d fall asleep at 9:30. But with pills, I could get so much done, I just figured, ‘This is awesome.’ Little did I know [fiancée and now wife] Deanna would be finding some of my pills and when she did, she’d flush them down the toilet.

“I actually went to rehab three times. I saw the most successful, smart people—doctors, professional people—lose it all, ruin their lives. A year or two before you saw me, I went to a place in Rayville, La., just outside Monroe. It was pills then too. Deanna and [agent] Bus [Cook] talked me into it. I didn’t think I had a problem, but they talked me into it. I went for 28 days. When I got out, I was able to control myself for a while. I wouldn’t take anything for a day or two, and I wouldn’t drink. But I was a binge drinker. When I drank, I drank to excess. So when I went in the second time, to the place in Kansas, I remember vividly fighting them in there. They said drinking was the gateway drug for me, and they were right, absolutely right, but I wouldn’t admit it. I will never forget one of the nurses. I had it all figured out. I fought with this nurse all the time. I would not admit the drinking problem. At the end she said to me, ‘You’ll be back.’

“I was back. 1998. Guess who was waiting there when I walked in—that same nurse. This time it was strictly for drinking. I didn’t go back to the pills. I admitted my problem, I was in there 28 days, and it worked.”

Favre managed a 20-year NFL career, while fighting through much of it with a harder battle than anyone knew.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/29/laurent-duvernay-tardif-graduates-medical-school-on-tuesday/

Quote:
Laurent Duvernay-Tardif graduates medical school on Tuesday

There will be a doctor in the house for Chiefs games this season and there will be one on the field when the team’s offense has the ball.

Right guard Laurent Duvernay-Tardif is graduating from McGill University’s medical school on Tuesday, ending an eight-year process that he’s completed while also starting 38 games for Kansas City over the last three seasons.

Duvernay-Tardif said he plans to do a residency in emergency medicine, but that football remains his main priority while the medical degree is a “really strong Plan B” for the time being. He also thanked Chiefs coach Andy Reid, whose mother also went to medical school at McGill, for giving him the space to pursue both interests simultaneously.

“Not all the coaches saw my second career with that same optimism,” Duvernay-Tardif said, via ESPN.com. “Some coaches asked me, ‘How do we really know you want to play football?’ Coach Reid never asked me that question. With him, it’s always been, ‘We know you want to play football because you’re here.’ He trusts me. That’s one thing I respect and admire about him. He told me that he was going to do anything he could to help me succeed. It’s been four years now, and Coach Reid has stood by that plan. Every year when we end the season, we have our exit meeting with coach Reid, and he’s always asking me where I am in school and what the plan is for the offseason.”

Duvernay-Tardif has said in the past that he’d like to have “M.D.” on his jersey once he graduated and he posted a picture to social media that showed he’s wearing a suit jacket with “Dr. Duvernay-Tardif” over his No. 76 for graduation day.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/30/drew-brees-spends-264000-on-john-wooden-jersey-to-display-at-purdue/

Quote:
Drew Brees spends $264,000 on John Wooden jersey to display at Purdue

A few weeks ago an anonymous bidder spent $264,000 to buy a jersey worn by the legendary college basketball coach John Wooden when he played at Purdue in the 1930s. Now that anonymous bidder has come forward: Drew Brees.

Brees, the Saints quarterback who played his college football at Purdue, has announced that the jersey will go on permanent display on Purdue’s campus.

“The first words out of my mouth to him upon finding out the John Wooden jersey would be made available to the public was, ‘We have to get this for Purdue University. This jersey belongs in Mackey Arena back at Purdue,’” Brees said.

Brees has given millions of dollars to Purdue during his NFL career, so it’s not a big surprise that he was willing to spend that kind of money on a memorabilia that celebrates Purdue’s athletic history.

Wooden, best known for winning 10 national championships as head coach at UCLA, was an All-American basketball player at Purdue from 1930 to 1932.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/02/clay-matthews-takes-line-drive-to-face-in-charity-softball-game/

Quote:
Clay Matthews takes line drive to face in charity softball game

Packers linebacker Clay Matthews appears to have a broken nose after what could have been a nasty blow to the head at a charity softball game.

Video of the incident shows Matthews pitching and having a line drive come right back at him, drilling him in the face and knocking him down. Matthews quickly got back up but walked off the field, covering his face.

Fortunately, his teammate Davante Adams said shortly afterward that Matthews was OK.

“I wanted to let everybody know Clay is all right,” Adams said. “He’s got a little boo-boo on his nose, but he’ll be all right. He’s a tough guy.”

NFL teams are always concerned any time a player does anything off the field that could result in injury, but a charity softball game is usually a low-impact sporting event. Matthews was unlucky to get hit in the face, but lucky not to have anything more than a little boo-boo.

UPDATE 3:14 p.m. ET: Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports that Matthews is believed to have a broken nose and is being treated at an emergency room.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/04/longtime-nfl-safety-marlon-mccree-trying-to-clear-his-name/#comments

Quote:
Longtime NFL safety Marlon McCree trying to clear his name

Former NFL safety Marlon McCree is out on bail after charges stemming from a series of incidents with his ex-wife. And in a bit of a twist, he thinks being incarcerated may have helped his case.

According to Joe Daraskevich of the Florida Times-Union, the case has led to three arrests since early April, but doesn’t seem closer to resolution.

He was released on bail on April 8 under the condition he’d have no contact with Jahzi McCree, following charges of simple assault and aggravated battery with a deadly weapon. He’s been taken into custody twice more since them, with a warrant on May 2 followed by an arrest on May 12, and a second warrant issued on May 23, the same day as a scheduled hearing.

“The only thing that vindicated my name is the fact that I was in custody,” he said, explaining that his ex-wife is accusing him of contacting her with phones that are not his. “I have one phone, you can search the records.”

On May 23, she sent an email to prosecutors saying “He just sent me two text messages.” McCree was in handcuffs at the time. She sent another email to the prosecutor later in the day saying she “spoke too soon.”

Other allegations include telling authorities he was stalking her because his phone number popped up on the Bluetooth screen in her vehicle while she was getting gas, though he was filling up at the next pump at the same gas station.

McCree also said he thinks her friends are buying phones and pretending to be him, then calling and texting her.

His ex-wife, via her lawyer, refused comment on the texts and phone calls. They were married in 2009 and divorced in 2015. The next court date in their case is set for June 11.

McCree was drafted by the Jaguars in 2001, and played for the Texans, Panthers, Chargers, and Broncos. He’s also had some coaching stints around the league.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, Patriots wide receiver is facing a four-game suspension, for violating the league’s policy on performance-enhancing substances.

Edelman is appealing the suspension, so there’s no official comment from the league yet.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/07/report-julian-edelman-facing-four-game-ped-suspension/
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Andrew Luck threw a football granted a college sized one but it works I guess.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 104, 105, 106  Next
Page 17 of 106
Jump to: