Official 2018 NBA Draft Thread: Lakers select Moe Wagner (#25), Isaac Bonga (#39), and Svi Mykhailiuk (#47) - see 1st page for draft links
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 171, 172, 173 ... 492, 493, 494  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
How about this guy?

https://sports.yahoo.com/25-year-old-posing-17-year-old-high-school-basketball-star-arrested-181028582.html

Whoa

Quote:
In October, though, Gilstrap-Portley transferred to Hillcrest High School, where he played basketball and also began dating a 14-year-old girl, a story police are still investigating.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Doncic was the 4th-leading scorer & 4th-leading assist guy in the 2nd best league in the world at age 18/19. For whatever it's worth, I don't think anyone has ever matched his statistical production in the Euroleague at the same age.

He's the clear #1 pick.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Mitchell and Hutchinson getting a promise already it looks like.

I'm cool with that. As long as Porter didn't get a promise yet I'm fine. Unless that promise is from us.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Doncic was the 4th-leading scorer & 4th-leading assist guy in the 2nd best league in the world at age 18/19. For whatever it's worth, I don't think anyone has ever matched his statistical production in the Euroleague at the same age.

Right. His resume is what's pushing his narrative right now. IMO, watching him on film doesn't get him in the discussion of the #1 pick without that resume. Without that resume, he's probably a mid-lottery pick, a tier above where Saric was at the same age. The problem is that the NBA has many Euro MVPs or supposed superstars who end up as bench warmers or nobodies. A such, a euro league resume means relatively little. The only reason it may matter for him is because of his age, which was the rationale for Ricky Rubio when he was drafted too, right? Rubio, although not as accomplished at the same age, still can be used as a case study for this point.

In the last 30 years, there have been only four NBA all-star players from Europe under 6'10: Tony Parker (2007 & 2009), Manu Ginobili (2005 & 2011), Peja Stojokovic (2002 & 2003), and Detlef Shrempf (1993, 1995 and 1997). Notably, not a single European player under 6'10 who was drafted in the top 10 has ever been an all-star in the NBA. The remaining guys have all been over 6'10 - Big Z, Kirilenko, Okur, Dirk, Marc Gasol, Pau Gasol and Giannis. We've had numerous players under 6'10 - like Rudy Fernandez, Mikael Pietrus, Danilo Gallinari, Ricky Rubio, Juan Carlos Navarro and Mario Henzonja - who never lived up to the hype. Frank Ntilikina looks likes the latest under 6'10 European bust. I think that all says a lot about how accomplishments in Europe, for a player who primarily plays in the backcourt as a guard or on the wing, doesn't mean much. I think you really just have to discount Doncic's resume the same way you would for someone in the NCAA.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost

Last edited by LakerSanity on Wed May 16, 2018 3:13 pm; edited 4 times in total
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:

I'm cool with that. As long as Porter didn't get a promise yet I'm fine. Unless that promise is from us.

Huerter is getting the promise form us.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:

Hutchison is still my top choice for the 25, followed as of now by Jontay Porter, Brunson, Holiday, and Shamet (pending medical check).

Figured we had Bryant/ Zubac at C in case Bropez left, and there were a LOT of decent PGs with at least some combination of outside shooting/ D/ length/ court vision that we need for our system... but our only backup SFs are Kuz and Hart, both of whom would be playing slightly out of position based on quickness (Kuz) or size (Hart). Hutch would give us a good Swiss Army knife SF who has some experience being the top dog on his own team and creating his own looks.

If he got a promise from somewhere else, though, I may add Huerter or Frazier to the the Top 5.
EZ-Ryder
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

In addition to everything you said, he's also 6'7 and 225 lbs. This kid is about as NBA ready as they come.

He's putting up 21ppg/7.6rpg/6.7apg/1.6spg/ 2 3pg/ 46% fg per 36.

No hyped Euroleague prospect in recent memory comes close to these numbers regardless of age.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject:

question - have any of you ever watched luka doncic play a full game?

he's one of the slowest elite prospects i've ever seen. it's something i don't think people generally appreciate, because being relatively unathletic isn't a big problem in european basketball.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
If the lakers select on potential and upside I would not mind if they take a flyer on Isaac Bonga at 25 given he is in the draft.

He will need 2-3 years of development but his physical attributes and current skill level is high given his age and height.

Any thoughts?

Na man this draft is too good in our range to take a complete question mark. He'll be there in the 40s

Even in a draft this deep every prospect at 25 is a question mark that has some kind of pimple against him.

But I get what you mean especially when it comes to international prospects.

We don't get to see them regularly against known competition so the question mark looks bigger in our eyes.

To me - a question mark is a player who can't shoot. Other guys in our range may possibly have incomplete games, but they have the most important skill - shooting.

Are you in favor of Hutchinson? He is a good scorer but not a shooter. Don't care for his form and from his misses he seems to lack touch which is a big red flag.

Bonga's shooting stroke looks better and with some tweaks he has the potential to be at least league average.

I have always believed bbiq and desire is what separates players in the NBA. Everyone has skill and physical attributes that allows them to compete at the highest level but how they apply their skills is what separates them.

JC should have been a lot better player given his physical attributes and skill but his mind set was a big negative.

Matt Thomas is probably a better shooter than anyone on the Lakers but their interest in him was luke warm and is not in the league. Why?

Bonga's form being decent..let alone better than Hutchinson is the wildest thing I've heard today, man. It looks like it's his first years shooting a basketball, very mechanical bend of knees and a pause at the top..slowwwww. while Hutch shot 36% on 4 attempts.
Very wild, wild , wild statement

I always take the college 3% with a grain of salt. More times than not this is not an indicator for NBA 3pt success. Otherwise BI and AB who shot both shot over 40% would be lighting up the league.

Since Mike AT LG favored Hutchinson I watched more of his film than normal and I still see a shooter without touch and this is a big red flag. His misses are brutal. His 3 seasons of sub 70% ft is a better indicator of his shooting ability.

Not sure what is wild about Bonga's shooting form. It is not that slow since he shoots a set shot which I prefer when shooting NBA 3's. A slow shot is AB or Fultz who shot jump shots that can be contested.

When I review shooting form I never looked at the legs/feet until the past 2 years to see if they are twisting or turning (learned that from you). I look more of the form that mirrors Shake Milton and Kuz for the technique I prefer.
Review Bonga again and you can see the similarities are there. Given his age, future skill development and strength training I believe he will be a good shooter.

I trust my eyes. May not mean much but when the summer league camp roster was announced I chimed in that Matt Thomas was someone to keep an eye on for his shooting.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:

he's one of the slowest elite prospects i've ever seen. it's something i don't think people generally appreciate, because being relatively unathletic isn't a big problem in european basketball.

There are some players who play slow but somehow are very effective. Larry Bird was obviously not very quick or fast but do you remember Chris Mullin? It appeared he moved in slow motion but still was able to score on his drives and I would welcome a prime Mullin anytime on the Lakers.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Never discount actual performance for perceived upside. If the data doesn't match what you see on the court - a la Westbrook under Howland - dig deeper and you may uncover evidence for why that player seems more effective than what the raw data implies.

And if you don't? Pass on the pretty, under-productive athlete for the better basketball player.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

44TheLogo wrote:

What I look like doing that bruh. I ain't got the focus for that.
He was the prospect I've watched the least " clips" of.. just assumed the hype was real. But he does look kinda below avg for an NBA 3 athleticism wise.
In my head I've always compared his athleticism to D'angelo, and if DLo still had really good upside, then Doncic at 225lbs does - but I assumed his jumper was further along. Really like his form though.
He's not a sure-fire star at all. Some asshat named Dean callled him the best prospect ever and ..just... so much smoke and mirrors with Luka!
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PlantedTanks wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

There are some players who play slow but somehow are very effective. Larry Bird was obviously not very quick or fast but do you remember Chris Mullin? It appeared he moved in slow motion but still was able to score on his drives and I would welcome a prime Mullin anytime on the Lakers.

mullin and bird were both great shooters - in bird's case, one of the greatest in history - doncic is currently shooting under 30% from 3 in europe.

he's not a sure thing.

beyond that, he's been a pro for 3 years. that means, he's been going through professional training, nutrition, coaching...he won't have the benefit of the low hanging fruit of development that other draftees will by going from a teenager's diet and workout regimen to a professional athlete's.

this is all just to play devil's advocate here - he's a very good prospect for sure, and I have him #3 and would love to have him on our team, but I think he might not have as high a ceiling as people are thinking.

Last edited by 44TheLogo on Wed May 16, 2018 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

mullin and bird were both great shooters - in bird's case, one of the greatest in history - doncic is currently shooting under 30% from 3 in europe.

he's not a sure thing.

As the draft gets closer, I think he slides. I think Young rises (as people begin to look back on the tape and remember how he played early in the season), as does Jackson Jr.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Just for fun (not a BPA mock):

1. Phoenix - Doncic
2. Sacramento - Jackson, Jr.
3. Atlanta - Ayton
4. Memphis - Bagley
5. Dallas - Bamba
6. Orlando - Young
7. Chicago - Porter, Jr.
8. Cleveland - Carter
9. New York - Mikal Bridges
10. Philadelphia - SGA
11. Charlotte - Miles Bridges
12. LA Clippers - Sexton
13. LA Clippers - Z. Smith
14. Denver - Knox
15. Washington - J. Porter
16. Phoenix - R. Williams
17. Milwaukee - M. Robinson
18. San Antonio - T. Brown
19. Atlanta - Walker
20. Minnesota - J. Evans
21. Utah - Simons
22. Chicago - Huerter
23. Indiana - Hutchinson
24. Portland - Melton
25. Los Angeles Lakers - Okogie
26. Philadelphia - Musa
27. Boston - Milton
28. Golden State - Shamet
29. Brooklyn - Frazier
30. Atlanta - Okobo
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:

that's been my chief problem with him. He's slow. Slow first step, slow in a straight line, and almost glacial slowness laterally.
You ever notice how many "great Euro" wings end up being spot up 3pt shooters in the NBA because they are too slow for anything else?
The only problem with this for Doncic is that he isn't a particularly good 3pt shooter - and that's from Euro distance, which is about 17" closer than the NBA line
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:

1. Phoenix - Doncic
3. Atlanta - Ayton
4. Memphis - Bagley
5. Dallas - Bamba
6. Orlando - Young
7. Chicago - Porter, Jr.
8. Cleveland - Carter
10. Philadelphia - SGA
12. LA Clippers - Sexton
14. Denver - Knox
19. Atlanta - Walker
20. Minnesota - J. Evans
21. Utah - Simons
22. Chicago - Huerter
23. Indiana - Hutchinson
24. Portland - Melton
26. Philadelphia - Musa
27. Boston - Milton
29. Brooklyn - Frazier
30. Atlanta - Okobo

JJJ > Ayton and Bagley
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

he's not a sure thing.

beyond that, he's been a pro for 3 years. that means, he's been going through professional training, nutrition, coaching...he won't have the benefit of the low hanging fruit of development that other draftees will by going from a teenager's diet and workout regimen to a professional athlete's.

this is all just to play devil's advocate here - he's a very good prospect for sure, and I have him #3 and would love to have him on our team, but I think he might not have as high a ceiling as people are thinking.

Understand. Just don't see being slow would hinder him on offense. Defense may be an issue but he seems to have the bbiq to learn/understand angles and positioning in playing team defense.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

he's not a sure thing.

Understand. Just don't see being slow would hinder him on offense. Defense may be an issue but he seems to have the bbiq to learn/understand angles and positioning in playing team defense.

i think he will be able to create just fine in the regular season, but i would not trust him as your primary offensive creator in the postseason. i can see a lot of the same issues that plagued Ben Simmons vs the Celtics hurting Doncic if he's being used as the team's primary offensive initiator.

He's a superb ballhandler and passer and really advanced as a pick and roll player, but he's superb at these things for his size. he's not the ballhandler that a true PG is, and I think about an NBA team sticking defenders like a Marcus Smart on him, I really don't see how he will not be able to create anything if he's bringing the ball up the court.

Last edited by 44TheLogo on Wed May 16, 2018 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
If the lakers select on potential and upside I would not mind if they take a flyer on Isaac Bonga at 25 given he is in the draft.

He will need 2-3 years of development but his physical attributes and current skill level is high given his age and height.

Any thoughts?

Na man this draft is too good in our range to take a complete question mark. He'll be there in the 40s

Even in a draft this deep every prospect at 25 is a question mark that has some kind of pimple against him.

But I get what you mean especially when it comes to international prospects.

We don't get to see them regularly against known competition so the question mark looks bigger in our eyes.

To me - a question mark is a player who can't shoot. Other guys in our range may possibly have incomplete games, but they have the most important skill - shooting.

Are you in favor of Hutchinson? He is a good scorer but not a shooter. Don't care for his form and from his misses he seems to lack touch which is a big red flag.

Bonga's shooting stroke looks better and with some tweaks he has the potential to be at least league average.

I have always believed bbiq and desire is what separates players in the NBA. Everyone has skill and physical attributes that allows them to compete at the highest level but how they apply their skills is what separates them.

JC should have been a lot better player given his physical attributes and skill but his mind set was a big negative.

Matt Thomas is probably a better shooter than anyone on the Lakers but their interest in him was luke warm and is not in the league. Why?

Bonga's form being decent..let alone better than Hutchinson is the wildest thing I've heard today, man. It looks like it's his first years shooting a basketball, very mechanical bend of knees and a pause at the top..slowwwww. while Hutch shot 36% on 4 attempts.
Very wild, wild , wild statement

I always take the college 3% with a grain of salt. More times than not this is not an indicator for NBA 3pt success. Otherwise BI and AB who shot both shot over 40% would be lighting up the league.

Since Mike [ at ] LG favored Hutchinson I watched more of his film than normal and I still see a shooter without touch and this is a big red flag. His misses are brutal. His 3 seasons of sub 70% ft is a better indicator of his shooting ability.

Not sure what is wild about Bonga's shooting form. It is not that slow since he shoots a set shot which I prefer when shooting NBA 3's. A slow shot is AB or Fultz who shot jump shots that can be contested.

When I review shooting form I never looked at the legs/feet until the past 2 years to see if they are twisting or turning (learned that from you). I look more of the form that mirrors Shake Milton and Kuz for the technique I prefer.
Review Bonga again and you can see the similarities are there. Given his age, future skill development and strength training I believe he will be a good shooter.

I trust my eyes. May not mean much but when the summer league camp roster was announced I chimed in that Matt Thomas was someone to keep an eye on for his shooting.

Ya I think we're all learning more and more here , the more we watch the details and trends , quicker and concise strokes are becoming trends.
I look at this shot at 3:35 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=temjJ3jaNGk
Against a long PF defender in Malik Pope. love that he made this contested shot. Form reminds me of Tobias Harris, a lot. Hutch could even use to make his stroke more concise/quicker , I'm not 100% sold on it but it's solid.

I learned about the importance of not twisting and keeping a quiet base from GT and then Drew Hanlen did a study on how the best shooters shoot worse when they twist . I really hope Randle fixes this issue..

Bonga's stroke is super slow IMO, and he needs years of reps to become a solid NBA shooter

Last edited by KeepItRealOrElse on Wed May 16, 2018 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

He's the clear #1 pick.

Ayton, Ayton Ayton.

You want to build a contending team in the future, you need one of these "unicorn" bigs. AD, Embiid, Porzingis, Jokic, Towns... Ayton is in that category.

To be able to pair Booker with a big like that who has inside/outside game and moves like a gazelle is too hard to pass up. Then you got an Artest/Iggy hybrid on the wing, and you've got yourself a superb core. Just draft Aaron Holiday #21. Ayton/Jackson/Warren/Booker/Holiday//Bender/Chris
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

He's the clear #1 pick.

Ayton, Ayton Ayton.

You want to build a contending team in the future, you need one of these "unicorn" bigs. AD, Embiid, Porzingis, Jokic, Towns... Ayton is in that category.

To be able to pair Booker with a big like that who has inside/outside game and moves like a gazelle is too hard to pass up. Then you got an Artest/Iggy hybrid on the wing, and you've got yourself a superb core. Just draft Aaron Holiday #21. Ayton/Jackson/Warren/Booker/Holiday//Bender/Chris

which of those bigs that you just listed is even close to contending? have you been watching these playoffs at all?
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

He's the clear #1 pick.

Ayton, Ayton Ayton.

I’m not arguing against Ayton at #1 but the bolded isn’t true. None of those guys have even played in a conference finals. Great players but have been proven not to be essential.

But I love Ayton as a prospect too.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

He's the clear #1 pick.

Ayton, Ayton Ayton.

Oddly none of those players are still in the playoffs. Also, Ayton isn't a unicorn because his three point shot is far from a sure thing and - most importantly - he's a mediocre rim protector.

You know who is an actual unicorn? JJJ.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:

1. Phoenix - Doncic
3. Atlanta - Ayton
4. Memphis - Bagley
5. Dallas - Bamba
6. Orlando - Young
7. Chicago - Porter, Jr.
8. Cleveland - Carter
10. Philadelphia - SGA
12. LA Clippers - Sexton
14. Denver - Knox
19. Atlanta - Walker
20. Minnesota - J. Evans
21. Utah - Simons
22. Chicago - Huerter
23. Indiana - Hutchinson
24. Portland - Melton
26. Philadelphia - Musa
27. Boston - Milton
29. Brooklyn - Frazier
30. Atlanta - Okobo

JJJ > Ayton and Bagley

I like bigs who defend and shoot more than one-way roll men who like to show off their post moves to the detriment of their team's overall offensive efficiency.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 171, 172, 173 ... 492, 493, 494  Next
Page 172 of 494
Jump to: