OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1745, 1746, 1747 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Endless3D wrote:
I don't think Magic says no to Lebron, what's more likely is he sells Lebron that Lonzo/Ingram/Hart/Randle/Kuzma don't need to be traded, and he'll get prime Paul George.

Trading the young guys for a star isn't how the NBA works now, look at the Celtics. It's the system, they're young and have assets. The Lakers can be like that, trading Lonzo/Ingram makes the long term asset value of this team alot lower then it would seem like at the moment. That core behind your second best player can make your team 7 deep when you're talking about just the main guys that can play 30.

I think Magic/Pelinka are real smart, they'll try building the best possible team now without hurting our long term future. Magic Johnson is a Laker legend, he knows it's about building dynasties here not just teams with 2 or 3 year windows. They're building a structure/system with Luke as their main guy and want to develop an identity that propels them into a long term contender.

They'll make the best of their cap space, try to sign the best stars they can, develop young guys and make favorable trades. If they can get a superstar for Zo or BI, maybe they do it but I don't think they'll go all out in the way you guys think they will.

I wonder if Lebron has the patience to wait. He is 34 and while Randle seems to be ready to be a starter on a good team, Ingram is still a couple of years away and Ball is even farther away. Maybe if he wants to come here to live, get paid and not compete for titles, he won't care about waiting on the young players.

KD passed on talking to the Lakers for that very reason. IMO
LeBron needs to win now given his age, Lakers couLd be a hard sale
because there is so much to do yet.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject:

2 years ago Thomas and cousins were basically franchise players. The thought of him being available on 1 year deals sounds amazing. Of course the pick-and-roll defense with them both on the court sounds horrendous.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
2 years ago Thomas and cousins were basically franchise players. The thought of him being available on 1 year deals sounds amazing. Of the pick-and-roll defense with them both on the court sounds horrendous.

Not much worse than JC/Randle.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
I can see how IT/Boogie could go really badly in terms of their injuries... but I could also see how they'd be motivated to f*ck up everyone in the league who doubted them.

If it's one year overpays... what do we have to lose?

If they aren't the same... you don't resign them and go after Kawhi

If they are pretty good... it's a nice problem to have.

Absorbing contracts for one draft pick isn't worth missing the playoffs again.

We are already one playoff behind Boston and Philly... let's not make it two.

You have them with PG. so where’s the cap space coming from to sign boogie/It? It would have to be for LBJ’s slot so that means we are trading out Deng for 1 year rentals?

I don't know if that Instagram rumor has any validity... I personally looked at Boogie's account and didn't see him follow those guys. Maybe he followed and then unfollowed after the story broke.

However, if he and IT wanted to work together on making it happen... who are we to argue with it?

All I'm analyzing is the personnel... and if they made it work... it would be a good one year solution.

But the cap numbers don’t work unless you’re trading Deng (costly) and or losing Jules.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

Sentient Meat wrote:
I can see how IT/Boogie could go really badly in terms of their injuries... but I could also see how they'd be motivated to f*ck up everyone in the league who doubted them.

They were on the same team once before major surgeries and they didn't (bleep) anyone up on the league. Lol
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PG13 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

They were on the same team once before major surgeries and they didn't (bleep) anyone up on the league. Lol

But they didn't have PG and the core.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject:

We would have about 20 mill to play with after signing PG, resign Randle (12.5 mill cap hold), and keeping Deng.

IT and Brook I can see fitting in.

IT and DMC, not worth dumping assets for, or stretching.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

You have them with PG. so where’s the cap space coming from to sign boogie/It? It would have to be for LBJ’s slot so that means we are trading out Deng for 1 year rentals?

I don't know if that Instagram rumor has any validity... I personally looked at Boogie's account and didn't see him follow those guys. Maybe he followed and then unfollowed after the story broke.

However, if he and IT wanted to work together on making it happen... who are we to argue with it?

All I'm analyzing is the personnel... and if they made it work... it would be a good one year solution.

But the cap numbers don’t work unless you’re trading Deng (costly) and or losing Jules.

No matter what happens with Jules... we need to sign a stretch 5 with him.

Most likely it will be Brook... but who knows... maybe an angry Boogie gives us a little discount.

If LBJ doesn't happen, then there's 35 million to play with... Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't... I was only responding to the rumors that Boogie started following IT and Randle.

I agree it would be difficult, but then again... half the board seems perfectly content operating on the assumption that Brook will sign for a room exception.

I guess we each have our rose colored biases.

Last edited by Sentient Meat on Wed May 16, 2018 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
2 years ago Thomas and cousins were basically franchise players. The thought of him being available on 1 year deals sounds amazing. Of course the pick-and-roll defense with them both on the court sounds horrendous.

That is a bit concerning but that’s a lot of offensive power right there.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Most likely it will be Brook... but who knows... maybe an angry Boogie gives us a little discount.

If LBJ doesn't happen, then there's 35 million to play with... Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't... I was only responding to the rumors that Boogie started following IT and Randle.

I agree it would be difficult, but then again... half the board seems perfectly content operating on the assumption that Brook will sign for a room exception.

Boogie with a one year max, Julius signed above his $12.5M cap hold, stretch Deng, and re-sign IT to a one-year deal above his ~ $6M cap hold - that's all doable.

But that's only without PG13.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Thoughts on trading Ball for Lillard? Would the Lakers say no?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Boogie was probably upset the Pels are low balling him. I doubt the Lakers send out 2 1sts to trade Deng just to sign 1 year deals. So boogie isn’t going to be happy with splitting 20m with likely 2-3 other FAs.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

danzag wrote:
PG13 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
FWIW.... what is this talk about CP3 joining the Lakers?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ex1mz4vjLw

Wow

Quit making stuff and listin to what you post. I just wasted 5 min listining.

I wonder for how long the mods will let IG keep doing this stuff

Till the rivers all run dry
Till the sun falls from the sky
Till life on earth is through
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

Sentient Meat wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
PG is an upgrade over KCP
Cousins is an upgrade over Brook
IT is an upgrade over Clarkson
Randle is still Randle

It's not as good as LBJ... but it ensures we will be better than last season.

Now just trade Ingram for KL and we become 2nd team in West

It will take more than Ingram. Let's see if Kawhi's healthy. If we didn't sign LBJ... we'd have more cap flexibility to sign Kawhi next year.

I say roll with some combination like this... reassess after watching the growth of the core... and then sign Kawhi if he still wants to come here.

Kawhi is in PG13's position last year. If he refuses to sign an extension, then his trade value goes dramatically down. Very few teams will give a lot for a one year rental, unless they're desperate for other reasons (OKC needing to resign Westbrook)

I might try Randle+Ingram+1st. Hopefully its enough if Kawhi cooperates.

ETA: It would be really nice if we could pull a Kawhi trade before the Free Agency period, makes getting PG13 and LBJ here a lot easier. I dig a LBJ, Kawhi and PG13 big 3, with Ball as pg and random filler center.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Randle is still Randle

It will take more than Ingram. Let's see if Kawhi's healthy. If we didn't sign LBJ... we'd have more cap flexibility to sign Kawhi next year.

I say roll with some combination like this... reassess after watching the growth of the core... and then sign Kawhi if he still wants to come here.

Kawhi is in PG13's position last year. If he refuses to sign an extension, then his trade value goes dramatically down. Very few teams will give a lot for a one year rental, unless they're desperate for other reasons (OKC needing to resign Westbrook)

ETA: It would be really nice if we could pull a Kawhi trade before the Free Agency period, makes getting PG13 and LBJ here a lot easier. I dig a LBJ, Kawhi and PG13 big 3, with Ball as pg and random filler center.

Looking back, The Thunder gave Indiana a really good package.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Randle is still Randle

Kawhi getting traded on draft night seems possible, especially when looking back on Butler getting traded during that time.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject:

PG13 wrote:
Vanquish wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Randle is still Randle

Very few people thought so at the time though. Indiana was lucky. Also as I said, the Thunder was in the sweet spot where they were desperate to make a trade to keep Westbrook. So the Thunder gave up more than they should have, and if PG13 bolts its going to royally bite them in the ass. Perfect cautionary tale for other teams thinking of trading for Kawhi without guarantees of getting an extension.

Last edited by Vanquish on Wed May 16, 2018 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Randle is still Randle

I wouldn't even give them the 1st. If they are taking our offer, it's because no one else stepped up with a prospect as good as Ingram. And if we are giving them Randle too (if he agrees to it), they would be essentially getting 10 years of player control (since you control Ingram via RFA after his 2 years on his rookie deal are up) for 1 year of control over Kawhi.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
PG13 wrote:
Vanquish wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Randle is still Randle

Very few people thought so at the time though. Indiana was lucky. Also as I said, the Thunder was in the sweet spot where they were desperate to make a trade to keep Westbrook. So the Thunder gave up more than they should have, and if PG13 bolts its going to royally bite them in the ass. Perfect cautionary tale for other teams thinking of trading for Kawhi without guarantees of getting an extension.

Oladipo went from a salary dump to a underpaid young star
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject:

OKC turmed an expiring Ibaka into an expiring PG13 and Jerami Grant. That's a clear win.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:

What’s the definition of a franchise player? Cousins can barely win 30 games as the best player on a team. He has never played on the playoffs.

At least IT was the best play on a team that went to the ECF.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Only way Magic does that is if Bron and PG have been signed already.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject:

Why are we trading players before watching Kawhi play?

I wouldn't trade anyone who I wasn't getting rid of anyway.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:

What’s the definition of a franchise player? Cousins can barely win 30 games as the best player on a team. He has never played on the playoffs.

At least IT was the best play on a team that went to the ECF.

They way Boston is playing without Irving and Hayward right now kind of let's me know that IT is what I thought he was. A scoring 6th man. The star or MVP talk last season was just stupid.

Last edited by CamReddish on Wed May 16, 2018 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Only way Magic does that is if Bron and PG have been signed already.

I had the same thought
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1745, 1746, 1747 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 1746 of 2680
Jump to: