OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1746, 1747, 1748 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Franchise players do not get traded without a demand that they be traded. Neither Boston nor Sacramento were forced by the players themselves to trade them, but did so anyway. There are good reasons explaining why those players were traded which now give teams pause in acquiring those same players now.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
DangeRuss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Thoughts on trading Ball for Lillard? Would the Lakers say no?

Where does this even come from?
You’re too much man
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject:

PG13 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:
2 years ago Thomas and cousins were basically franchise players. The thought of him being available on 1 year deals sounds amazing. Of course the pick-and-roll defense with them both on the court sounds horrendous.

What’s the definition of a franchise player? Cousins can barely win 30 games as the best player on a team. He has never played on the playoffs.

At least IT was the best play on a team that went to the ECF.

They say Boston is playing without Irving and Hayward right now kind of let's me know that IT is what I thought he was. A scoring 6th man. The star or MVP talk last season was just stupid.

This is like saying Irving isn't a great player or Curry isn't MVP caliber because Boston and GSW continue to win.

I'll agree Stevens maximizes his players... but if your theory were correct, any halfway decent guard put in his system would average 29 points.

Only 9 players have averaged 29 points in the last 12 years... and all are headed to the Hall of Fame except IT... maybe he isn't the level of Irving or Curry... but he's no slouch either.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
PG13 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:
2 years ago Thomas and cousins were basically franchise players. The thought of him being available on 1 year deals sounds amazing. Of course the pick-and-roll defense with them both on the court sounds horrendous.

What’s the definition of a franchise player? Cousins can barely win 30 games as the best player on a team. He has never played on the playoffs.

They say Boston is playing without Irving and Hayward right now kind of let's me know that IT is what I thought he was. A scoring 6th man. The star or MVP talk last season was just stupid.

This is like saying Irving isn't a great player or Curry isn't MVP caliber because Boston and GSW continue to win.

I'll agree Stevens maximizes his players... but if your theory were correct, any halfway decent guard put in his system would average 29 points.

Only 9 players have averaged 29 points in the last 12 years... and all are headed to the Hall of Fame except IT... maybe he isn't the level of Irving or Curry... but he's no slouch either.

He wasn't good last season. Can only judge off most recent play and he will only get paid off his most recent play. Then factor in the surgery, there won't be teams jumping to pay him. He will probably get a 1 year MLE type deal somewhere.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Unfortunately it would have to be Ball + Kuzma to get Liliard. Ball is not going to net you any all star in the NBA without adding an Ingram or Kuz to the deal.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject:

DangeRuss wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

You’re too much man

I have seen fans proposing the idea.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
PG13 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:

On this one I'll agree with you: IT was fantastic last season, at least offensively. If you put up a .625 TS % on heavy volume, you've had a remarkable season. The issue here is that his injury was serious, and it's a legitimate question as to whether or not he can even be 75% of the player he once was, while accounting for the obvious detriment he is to your team defense.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PG13 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
PG13 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:

He wasn't good last season. Can only judge off most recent play and he will only get paid off his most recent play. Then factor in the surgery, there won't be teams jumping to pay him. He will probably get a 1 year MLE type deal somewhere.

If that's the going rate... we should definitely sign him if we don't get LBJ.

I agree with most of you that we shouldn't overpay... but we should try to keep him away from Boston, OKC, or Philly's bench.

If he's that undervalued... then we need to sign him.

If someone wants to overpay... sure, let him go.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

anth2000 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Unfortunately it would have to be Ball + Kuzma to get Liliard. Ball is not going to net you any all star in the NBA without adding an Ingram or Kuz to the deal.

Then no trade
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject:

DangeRuss wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

You’re too much man

Somewhere there's a John Doe from Se7en style apartment filled with notebooks of trade ideas.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
PG13 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
PG13 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:

I agree with most of you that we shouldn't overpay... but we should try to keep him away from Boston, OKC, or Philly's bench.

Agreed
DangeRuss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
PG13 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
PG13 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:

We don’t have the MLE this year, say goodbye to two max plan for IT?
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
PG13 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:

On this one I'll agree with you: IT was fantastic last season, at least offensively. If you put up a .625 TS % on heavy volume, you've had a remarkable season. The issue here is that his injury was serious, and it's a legitimate question as to whether or not he can even be 75% of the player he once was, while accounting for the obvious detriment he is to your team defense.

But no one here is talking about a max contract... we are talking about paying 20% for 75% of the player as a backup for Lonzo

Imagine if Utah had IT while Rubio was out?

He will be very valuable for someone if his hip still works.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Then no trade

You also can't get LeBron and PG and then also account for Lillard's salary. He makes too much money. For all intents and purposes, we could try to trade for a player making roughly $20-21MM at absolute most. Kawhi would work, as would Butler, as would Kemba, who actually only makes $12MM next season. But, yeah, not a player like Lillard, who makes just under $28MM next season.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
PG13 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:

But no one here is talking about a max contract... we are talking about paying 20% for 75% of the player as a backup for Lonzo

Utah might have been worse with IT. I don't think Mitchell would have been as effective and the defense would have been way worse.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject:

DangeRuss wrote:

No, sign him and Brook with the leftover cap space for one year if LBJ doesn't come.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
PG13 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:

As a deep Plan D-type option, I'd consider it, only if it were a 1-year deal and only if he came cheaply enough. But does he want to go somewhere on a 1-year deal as a strict backup? You'd think he'd want to go to a team where he can start, play a lot, and re-establish his value so that he might get a more lucrative multi-year deal next summer.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Then no trade

You also can't get LeBron and PG and then also account for Lillard's salary. He makes too much money. For all intents and purposes, we could try to trade for a player making roughly $20-21MM at absolute most. Kawhi would work, as would Butler, as would Kemba, who actually only makes $12MM next season. But, yeah, not a player like Lillard, who makes just under $28MM next season.

Kemba is actually a interesting option, but knowing Mitch and how sensitive he is I don’t see him doing a trade with the Lakers
DangeRuss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Then no trade

Kemba is actually a interesting option, but knowing Mitch and how sensitive he is I don’t see him doing a trade with the Lakers

How sensitive is he? I didn’t know you knew Mitch?! That’s sweet man, how do you know him, family friend?
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
DangeRuss wrote:

No, sign him and Brook with the leftover cap space for one year if LBJ doesn't come.

Can't we sign him even if we get LBJ? Assuming we trade or even stretch Deng to get LBJ. Doesn't IT only have a 9 million dollar cap hold? Randle would be gone in this plan.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject:

PG13 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
PG13 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:

Utah might have been worse with IT. I don't think Mitchell would have been as effective and the defense would have been way worse.

O'Neale did a pretty good job... but he only averaged 7 PPG... even a hobbled IT would create way more gravity away from Mitchell.

OKC could have really used him this playoffs too.

I understand what you guys are saying about his defensive liabilities but I've always found him to be a pain in the ass when we played against him.

If a player annoys me... whether it's Booker... or Murray... or Draymond... I find it's usually because they are pretty good.
DangeRuss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject:

PG13 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
DangeRuss wrote:

Can't we sign him even if we get LBJ? Assuming we trade or even stretch Deng to get LBJ. Doesn't IT only have a 9 million dollar cap hold? Randle would be gone in this plan.

No way I’d give up Randle for this scenario.

Also I don’t know how willing James and IT would be for playing together
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject:

DangeRuss wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Then no trade

How sensitive is he? I didn’t know you knew Mitch?! That’s sweet man, how do you know him, family friend?

I mean yeah he could try helping his former team, but I don’t think he’s over the fact that he was the scapegoat in the Lakers failure but I could be wrong.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject:

DangeRuss wrote:
PG13 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
DangeRuss wrote:

No way I’d give up Randle for this scenario.

Also I don’t know how willing James and IT would be for playing together

True. Lol
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
PG13 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
PG13 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:

O'Neale did a pretty good job... but he only averaged 7 PPG... even a hobbled IT would create way more gravity away from Mitchell.

OKC could have really used him this playoffs too.

I understand what you guys are saying about his defensive liabilities but I've always found him to be a pain in the ass when we played against him.

If a player annoys me... whether it's Booker... or Murray... or Draymond... I find it's usually because they are pretty good.

PPG isn't everything. IT is a liability in most areas of the game.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1746, 1747, 1748 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 1747 of 2680
Jump to: