*** SPOILER ZONE ***Official Game of Thrones / A Song of Ice and Fire discussion thread (for BOOK readers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Bit my tongue thus far. Let me give the caveat that I have thoroughly enjoyed the pace of this season and seeing a lot of payoffs come to fruition. With that said, the dialogue has taken a nose dive. Maybe, I'm just a curmudgeoun at this point, but boy is the difference in writing between a mastercraft fantasy novelist and a team of tv writers glaring.

"See that sword there? It's name is Heartsbane..."

"You're either a liar or an idiot".

"I don't like seeing bad men doing blah blah to good people and get away with it".

"What's happening?" ..."He's beaten' us, that's what's happening".

"They have no idea what we're going to do to them!"

I could go on and on. Some characters who at the very core of their being were gifted with silver tongues reduced to lines like that...

It's so shallowy written compared to the lines pulled from the book. It delivers the message but doesn't have nearly the weight or style of Martin. I shouldn't expect it to but I guess I just had to get it off my chest.

I don't read the books, but I've noticed the same thing. The dialogue has gotten worse, and there was some nice dialogue in this episode but some things that could have been better.

I wonder if the writers don't have the same conviction either, as they don't know everything that will happen either.

I thought some of the way things have happened were a little uncharacteristic for the show, like people showing up in the nick of time to save other people. Brienne, Wildlings, Benjen. Not really a quibble, just something I've noticed.

Still love this season though.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject:

The dialogue has gotten annoyingly "modern" in parts as well.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
The dialogue has gotten annoyingly "modern" in parts as well.

That's the PERFECT way to describe what I meant. Littlefinger and Olenna, two of the most intriguing with some of most satisfying dialogue in the show/books, have been butchered in their brief scenes this season.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject:

I've really enjoyed the season. The modern stuff is different, but I like it. I had always thought that they wouldn't do Lady Stoneheart because they were only going to do one big resurrection, Jon. Now that they've mentioned the Brotherhood again though, I think they'll bring her back.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject:

R+L = J is confirmed in the show. I wonder how it'd be revealed in the books, if it ever gets finished.

Also, in the books, Euron acquires Dragonbinder, which can control Dragons (Dany's dragons?). I wonder if that'll come into play next season.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Hey all, with the long offseason for the show I finally got around to reading the books. I am currently halfway (reading ASOS) and am wondering for AFFC and ADWD if anyone else has read them together in the "boiled leather" order. I'm considering doing that since the books run concurrent and the characters are split between the two.

Has anyone done it? Or for those that have read them separately, what is your opinion?
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Hey all, with the long offseason for the show I finally got around to reading the books. I am currently halfway (reading ASOS) and am wondering for AFFC and ADWD if anyone else has read them together in the "boiled leather" order. I'm considering doing that since the books run concurrent and the characters are split between the two.

Has anyone done it? Or for those that have read them separately, what is your opinion?

I have read the books both ways and prefer the "boiled leather" order as you put it.

Really though, the best way is to skip all the boring POV chapters regardless of your order.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject:

^ boring chapters in regards to certain characters simply being boring? And cool, I will probably read it in that order then since I was already leaning that way.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Update, I finished all the books and the novellas (Dunk and Egg, Rogue Prince, Princess and The Queen). Now I'm everyone else waiting for TWOW.

The combined AFFC/ADWD reading was great. I think I would have gotten bored reading ADWD alone because the Essos stuff moved so slow for the most part.

Also wanted to point out how spot on/close to what actually happened the below predictions were.

Christopher C wrote:
I don't even think that side mission to his parents' castle happened in the books. If I remember correctly, they just went strait to Oldtown with a dying Aemon Targaryen. I guess they wanted to set up Sam getting the Valyrian steel blade for the inevitable battle with white walkers. Maybe Sam will use his maester skills to heal Jorah Mormont. Then they will meet up with Jon Snow, who has Jorah's dad's Valyrian steel blade, Longclaw. Jon will give him the sword after Jorah tells Jon he will help him team up with Daenerys. Then Sam will give Heartsbane to Jon and bond with Dany about the wise old Targaryen at the wall who mentored him.

Dang, that all fits too well, and I feel like I just typed out spoilers
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject:

We're waiting too. It may be forever.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject:

I don't think it will be this year. I think the show will resume before we get TWoW.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject:

https://www.theonion.com/george-r-r-martin-promises-fans-the-winds-of-winter-1826115223
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
https://www.theonion.com/george-r-r-martin-promises-fans-the-winds-of-winter-1826115223

Dance of Dragons 2011. Two more books. Aaargh!

But that was funny.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Page 17 of 17
Jump to: