PAUL GEORGE Thread (Scared to "Straddle the Fence" with Lakers and throws Jab at LeBron, pg. 1027)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 778, 779, 780 ... 1026, 1027, 1028  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Extra Pass wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:
I am totally in the minority here but I think PG is vastly over rated,

Nope. I think he is as well. He just hasn't shown me consistent eliteness to be a max guy. But I'm also picky having a skills training background.

I'm not sure how much he loves basketball. He may. But I don't know.
My main qualms are that I'm not sure if he makes guys better. His playmaking isn't that impressive. The best attribute is that he's a 2 way player, a really good one, but his defense comes and goes. If you're a numbers guys, his numbers don't even hold him up high in A LOT of categories.

He isn't a bad shooter. He isn't great. I feel like he still hasn't gotten down his spots on the floor. By age 28, the greats know all the spots they want to operate in and they can get there at ease. Whether it's really good players who aren't at the top like Portland's back court, or the most elite (Harden, curry/KD/LeBron), or even a young great player like Anthony Davis - they know their spots. PG has to improve his handle and learn moves to get to the sweet spots to open up his game more.

I just think there's better options and I'm not sure George helps develop our young core. I hope PG could prove me wrong. I think this is a huge off-season for him as far as improving goes.

I like your analysis

Far more articulate than anything I can or will ever post here, ever.

And yes if (when?) he comes I hope to be proven totally wrong.
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:
I am totally in the minority here but I think PG is vastly over rated,as well as possessing a shall we say " less than competitive spirit"

We may have hated Greg Foster but at least he had the balls to make a throat slitting gesture or two.

PG is a little light in the loafers you feel me?

Maybe this is just an indictment of the league as a whole these days.

I agree that he is overrated by some here, those who think he will lead the team to playoff success. He isn’t a first option but works well as a 2nd/3rd option.

Exactly and with that rationale how could he ever deserve to be maxed out? I just cant fathom how much money is thrown at these guys nowadays.
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:
I am totally in the minority here but I think PG is vastly over rated,as well as possessing a shall we say " less than competitive spirit"

We may have hated Greg Foster but at least he had the balls to make a throat slitting gesture or two.

I agree that he is overrated by some here, those who think he will lead the team to playoff success. He isn’t a first option but works well as a 2nd/3rd option.

d lee got a max: when he was 3rd option
Batum got a max when he is basically a average player
Whiteside got a max when is a pouty and his skill set is ancient right now.

many others did as well.

point is making playoffs and giving the young guys the experience to grow is important.

if you are expecting Paul George to be #1 option on championship team then you don't have the right expectations for him

Holy crap I had no idea these three players you mentioned got max money. They are slightly above average.

Do you remember Danny Granger? Had his knee remained healthy he could have had an amazing career. I really liked that dude and he was LOVED in the locker room. When they traded him they had no idea the nuclear bomb sized crater it would create. PG13 is missing this characteristic which in my opinion would help justify at least some of his value.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject:

PG13 is not the star player like Harden Curry or Bron. He is the Horford,Green and in my eyes Kawhai. He is a great building block to a team that can win in the finals.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Extra Pass wrote:

I just think there's better options and I'm not sure George helps develop our young core. I hope PG could prove me wrong. I think this is a huge off-season for him as far as improving goes.

Can you name some realistic better options?
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject:

Paul George has playoff experience, albeit in the East, and was a member of Team USA (2016)
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Extra Pass wrote:

If he says Boogie, I'm going to cry.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject:

PG might not be a tier A superstar, but he's most definitely a max player and fits this team's system and personnel to a tee.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject:

cyborgspider wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Extra Pass wrote:

The reality is that there’s probably only 6-10 players in the league that’s truly worth the max but 30-60 players will get the max. That’s just how it is. Every team has room for at least 2 max players.

So there’s room for at least 60 max contracts in the league

That’s how you get max contracts like DeAndre Jordan and Blake Griffin, Andrew Wiggins, DeMar DeRozan

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Thu May 17, 2018 9:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject:

He’ll probably say Durant
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
cyborgspider wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Extra Pass wrote:

The reality is that there’s probably only 6-10 players in the league that’s truly worth the max but 30-60 players will get the max. That’s just how it is. Every team has room for at least 2 max players.

So there’s room for at least 60 max contracts in the league

That’s how you get max contracts like DeAndre Jordan and Blake Griffin, Andrew Wiggins, DeMar DeRozan

For me, a player is worth the max if he does not become untradeable because of it.

So is PG13 worth the max. If there are takers for him, should we want to get rid of him ( like Clarkson), then yes he's worth the max. If PG13 with the max becomes unmoveable like Deng and restricts our ability to make future moves, then no, he's not worth the max.

Since I think there are plenty of teams who would gladly take PG13 at a max salary, I think he's worth it since he can be flipped into something else later on should something better come up.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:34 am    Post subject:

Since PG broke his leg (in his 3 full seasons after that), he's played in 81, 75, and 79 games. Durability? Check.

PG is one of the best 2-way wing players in the league. Does every single NBA team covet such players? Check.

PG is a career 38% 3-point shooter, and has shot 39% and 40% over his past 2 seasons as he's started to hit his prime years, which happen to have coincided with getting a little further away from his leg injury. Does this team need 3-point shooting? Check.

PG's career TS % of .559 is exactly the same mark as his playoff TS % mark. Not having to worry that he's DeMar DeRozan? Check.

In all seriousness, he's a perfect fit for our system, he's a damn good player who is at worst a borderline perennial All-Star (and that's only because of the fact that most of the best players in the league are wings), and he's just entered his prime. I have no earthly idea how people here are debating whether he's worth a max or not. There are definitely not 20 players in the league that are better than he is, and I personally have him ranked 16th. Regardless, he's absolutely worth max money.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Since PG broke his leg (in his 3 full seasons after that), he's played in 81, 75, and 79 games. Durability? Check.

PG is one of the best 2-way wing players in the league. Does every single NBA team covet such players? Check.

PG is a career 38% 3-point shooter, and has shot 39% and 40% over his past 2 seasons as he's started to hit his prime years, which happen to have coincided with getting a little further away from his leg injury. Does this team need 3-point shooting? Check.

PG's career TS % of .559 is exactly the same mark as his playoff TS % mark. Not having to worry that he's DeMar DeRozan? Check.

In all seriousness, he's a perfect fit for our system, he's a damn good player who is at worst a borderline perennial All-Star (and that's only because of the fact that most of the best players in the league are wings), and he's just entered his prime. I have no earthly idea how people here are debating whether he's worth a max or not. There are definitely not 20 players in the league that are better than he is, and I personally have him ranked 16th. Regardless, he's absolutely worth max money.

If you don't want PG here, you don't know nothing about basketball.
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject:

I agree, George is a 2nd or 3rd option. I think he is about Scottie Pippen.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:

d lee got a max: when he was 3rd option
Batum got a max when he is basically a average player
Whiteside got a max when is a pouty and his skill set is ancient right now.

many others did as well.

point is making playoffs and giving the young guys the experience to grow is important.

if you are expecting Paul George to be #1 option on championship team then you don't have the right expectations for him

Batum and Whiteside got money in the 2016 summer....kind of apples and oranges to any normal year.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject:

24Legend007 wrote:

Paul George is no Scottie Pippen in my opinion.
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
24Legend007 wrote:

Well maybe just a 3rd option then?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject:

24Legend007 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
24Legend007 wrote:

it's nothing against PG, I just have a very high opinion of Pippen as a player.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject:

dubaholic1 wrote:

That's what your barometer is in terms of players?
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

adkindo wrote:
24Legend007 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
24Legend007 wrote:

I think Pippen was a better facilitator then George could ever be. Defensively its a wash for me, considering different era's.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

Extra Pass wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:
I am totally in the minority here but I think PG is vastly over rated,

Nope. I think he is as well. He just hasn't shown me consistent eliteness to be a max guy. But I'm also picky having a skills training background.

I'm not sure how much he loves basketball. He may. But I don't know.
My main qualms are that I'm not sure if he makes guys better. His playmaking isn't that impressive. The best attribute is that he's a 2 way player, a really good one, but his defense comes and goes. If you're a numbers guys, his numbers don't even hold him up high in A LOT of categories.

He isn't a bad shooter. He isn't great. I feel like he still hasn't gotten down his spots on the floor. By age 28, the greats know all the spots they want to operate in and they can get there at ease. Whether it's really good players who aren't at the top like Portland's back court, or the most elite (Harden, curry/KD/LeBron), or even a young great player like Anthony Davis - they know their spots. PG has to improve his handle and learn moves to get to the sweet spots to open up his game more.

He's a great shooter, one of the best 3 point shooters in the league.

I'd like you to name the better options this summer...waiting.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject:

noahp45 wrote:
PG13 is not the star player like Harden Curry or Bron. He is the Horford,Green and in my eyes Kawhai. He is a great building block to a team that can win in the finals.

Hayward got a max last summer; Horford the summer before. Don't recall anyone batting an eye on that. PG13 fits along that spectrum. He's absolutely worth it.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
24Legend007 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
24Legend007 wrote:

Yeah. They're not the same types of players. Pippen was more of a playmaker than PG13 is, and at his peak, the better defender. But I like what PG13 would bring to this team, particularly behind a true #1 like LBJ or KL.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Absolutley! We tend to get into discussions about why we are so picky, how about let's just show progress in actually not being picky. We've gone from some seeing George as saving the franchise, to him hindering the youth. I love the progress the youth has had, but let's consider how flakey we look as a board at times. Bring in Paul George and enjoy.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Agreed. He may not be on that MVP-level tier with Lebron, Harden, etc. but PG is a stud and is definitely worth max money.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 778, 779, 780 ... 1026, 1027, 1028  Next
Page 779 of 1028
Jump to: