What will happen with Deng this summer?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What will happen with Deng this summer?
Nothing (start season on roster)
59%
 59%  [ 52 ]
Stretched
18%
 18%  [ 16 ]
Traded
22%
 22%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 88

Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject:

If we land George and retain Randle, having Deng completely off the books for 2019 becomes a critical part of the second max coming in 2019 (along with other smaller moves depending on Randle's number). Assuming we don't get 2Max, you try to deal him for an expiring(s) that can hopefully help next year's team a bit. That would take assets of course, but perhaps not too much as you're only asking a team to take on one extra year of salary.

If you can't get such a deal done during the summer, he comes to camp. He could still be dealt deadline or as an expiring the following July.
japanesebeef1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject:

Deng will only be traded straight up. They will give no assets, as he becomes an asset as an expiring contract. We still can get our two maxes if they will come.

Best case scenario, is that they keep him, but use him to fill out a deal for Kawai or another star.

Worst case is they keep him and he comes off the books in 2019 to open up room.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject:

He’ll be sitting on a large large pile of unearned money. Has anyone ever gotten paid so much for doing so little?
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Los Angeles Lakers Team Payroll

Code:

..................2018 - 19.........2019 - 20
Luol Deng......... $18,000,000......$18,810,000   

Los Angeles Lakers Team Salary

Code:

..................2018 - 19.........2019 - 20
Luol Deng......... $18,000,000......$18,810,000   

japanesebeef1 wrote:
Deng will only be traded straight up. They will give no assets, as he becomes an asset as an expiring contract. We still can get our two maxes if they will come.

Best case scenario, is that they keep him, but use him to fill out a deal for Kawai or another star.

Worst case is they keep him and he comes off the books in 2019 to open up room.

Do you have a link or are you bluffing?
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject:

The only way he’s stretched is if the Lakers sign two under-10-year free agents (I.e. George and Cousins) or LBJ and PG13 while letting Randle walk.

However, if they do sign LBJ and PG13, and want to keep Randle, then Deng will need to be traded. The question is, do they wait until LBJ and PG13 sign or Randle is given an offer sheet, when another team will have a significant advantage, or do they be proactive?

It probably comes down to price. Given that Deng will need to be traded next summer anyway, if a deal can be made with picks, pay the premium now, be done with it and make this summer unfettered. That being said, if there are no takers at a reasonable price, then they choose two or PG13, LBJ and Randle, should they be fortunate enough to be in that position.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:53 am    Post subject:

81 wrote:
The only way he’s stretched is if the Lakers sign two under-10-year free agents (I.e. George and Cousins) or LBJ and PG13 while letting Randle walk.

However, if they do sign LBJ and PG13, and want to keep Randle, then Deng will need to be traded. The question is, do they wait until LBJ and PG13 sign or Randle is given an offer sheet, when another team will have a significant advantage, or do they be proactive?

It probably comes down to price. Given that Deng will need to be traded next summer anyway, if a deal can be made with picks, pay the premium now, be done with it and make this summer unfettered. That being said, if there are no takers at a reasonable price, then they choose two or PG13, LBJ and Randle, should they be fortunate enough to be in that position.

If we are to sign LBJ and PG13, Deng will have either have to be traded or stretched first. Otherwise we won't have the necessary cap room to sign both max FAs. So we don't actualy have the luxury of trading Deng after signing both LBJ and PG13. Deng has to go either by trade or by being released first.

Theorectically, we could sign one of the 2 max FAs, try to trade Deng and then sign the other. But I think the lakers will try to lock up both Max FAs ASAP for obvious reasons. And if the cost is stretching or trading Deng beforehand, then so be it.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
81 wrote:

If we are to sign LBJ and PG13, Deng will have either have to be traded or stretched first. Otherwise we won't have the necessary cap room to sign both max FAs. So we don't actualy have the luxury of trading Deng after signing both LBJ and PG13. Deng has to go either by trade or by being released first.

Theorectically, we could sign one of the 2 max FAs, try to trade Deng and then sign the other. But I think the lakers will try to lock up both Max FAs ASAP for obvious reasons. And if the cost is stretching or trading Deng beforehand, then so be it.

That’s true, I guess I didn’t mean sign so much as agree to join the Lakers. So if during the moratorium, LBJ and PG13 commit to LA, other teams will know that Deng will have to be dealt if Randle is to be retained.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
81 wrote:

Yeah, i could see them trading Deng on draft day. This would be extremely risky though, but it might increase our chances of signing those free agents. Imagine going to those free agents and saying, "We want to sign you but first we need to find someone to take Deng's contract, give us a few hours to get something done". Idk about that.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject:

Nothing...I'm still skeptical we get PG and Lebron. IMO it'll be PG, keep JR and punt with IT and Lopez before pursuing Kawhi/Klay/Kyrie.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
Nothing...I'm still skeptical we get PG and Lebron. IMO it'll be PG, keep JR and punt with IT and Lopez before pursuing Kawhi/Klay/Kyrie.

That wouldn’t be bad
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject:

He will be traded for another bad, but not as bad contract + 5 million and one or two of our firsts. No way is he traded with Hart. that contract, likely half of Dengs contract will be stretched. Maginka then signs Pg, Lebron and Jr - in that order.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:06 am    Post subject:

Why would any other Team trade for him (without getting money and/or talent in return)?

He is nothing more than a boat anchor at this point.

Lakers should have him in camp and give him some freakin' minutes, that way he can show his talent, try and redeem himself and hopefully show what he has left in he tank..

I was just hit with a scary thought.. I recall before he came to the Lakers he was putting up good numbers as a PF, well if we lose Randle and with Nance gone, then Lakers will need someone to back up Kuz at the PF position...
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject:

prediction: he will stay on the roster and we will gets as much value as we did from Nash during those years.

He will have the longest streak of DNP-CD for a player making $10M or more in NBA history.
ToastedMuffins
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Why would any other Team trade for him (without getting money and/or talent in return)?

Lakers should have him in camp and give him some freakin' minutes, that way he can show his talent, try and redeem himself and hopefully show what he has left in he tank..

I was just hit with a scary thought.. I recall before he came to the Lakers he was putting up good numbers as a PF, well if we lose Randle and with Nance gone, then Lakers will need someone to back up Kuz at the PF position...

There's a saying that it's better to keep your mouth shut and let people wonder about your intelligence than to open your mouth and confirm it.

You could apply the same logic to Luol and the Lakers. The Lakers would rather not play Deng and have other front offices wonder if he can still contribute anything to their teams than to play him and let it be known throughout the league that he likely can't.
HawaiiLaker
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject:

I wonder if they would consider the extend & strech idea that was floated a while ago.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject:

HawaiiLaker wrote:
I wonder if they would consider the extend & strech idea that was floated a while ago.

I don't know if that's possible, but it might be moot anyway. If the Lakers want LBJ, PG13 and Randle, I don't think reducing Deng's hit will be enough, he'll have to be traded.

If the Lakers are content to let Randle go, they'll have room for LBJ and PG13 just stretching Deng.

Now if the Lakers want to keep Randle and sign two under-10-year max players, then it might make sense to explore an extend-and-stretch, but given Cousins' injury, this seems unlikely.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject:

nothing is gonna happen cas he (bleep) sucks. (bleep) jim buss
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject:

81 wrote:
HawaiiLaker wrote:

I don't know if that's possible, but it might be moot anyway. If the Lakers want LBJ, PG13 and Randle, I don't think reducing Deng's hit will be enough, he'll have to be traded.

If the Lakers are content to let Randle go, they'll have room for LBJ and PG13 just stretching Deng.

Now if the Lakers want to keep Randle and sign two under-10-year max players, then it might make sense to explore an extend-and-stretch, but given Cousins' injury, this seems unlikely.
If they extend and stretch Deng, they would have to pay him 3.3 million over 11 years. That would put us approximately 1.3 million short of being able to sign James, George and Randle. And, that is with us not bringing back Bryant and Zubac, while renouncing all free agents accept for Randle. And trading the #25.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

Trade him to the Minnesota Bulls. We get their picks in the lottery, they get Deng.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject:

Ideally the Lakers would have gotten Deng to medically retire last season and then his salary would no longer count against the cap. But unfortunately the Lakers took the worst possible approach by running Deng's value to an even greater negative by just having him sit out.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
Ideally the Lakers would have gotten Deng to medically retire last season and then his salary would no longer count against the cap. But unfortunately the Lakers took the worst possible approach by running Deng's value to an even greater negative by just having him sit out.

You can't make somebody medically retire. Physically he's fine. Also if we played him some people here would complain he is taking minutes away from the younger players. It's an unfortunate situation for both sides.
SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject:

The league hates us so no one is going to help us complete a trade without trying to pry away valuable assets (ex: Hart / Kuzma) from us. If a team isn’t willing to take him for a 1st rounder then we tell them to F off and just deal with the contract till the trade deadline.
DangeRuss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:

That’s preferable
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject:

SDLakersFan wrote:
The league hates us so no one is going to help us complete a trade without trying to pry away valuable assets (ex: Hart / Kuzma) from us. If a team isn’t willing to take him for a 1st rounder then we tell them to F off and just deal with the contract till the trade deadline.

If the situation was reversed with the Lakers in a position to help another team with a bad contract, would Magic & Pelinka agree to make a trade favorable to the other team or would they expect payment in full?

Why are you expecting another team to do a trade favorable for the Lakers when the Lakers would refuse to make a trade favorable for another team?
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject:

He'll realize he no longer has the will to play and retire
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: