PAUL GEORGE Thread (Scared to "Straddle the Fence" with Lakers and throws Jab at LeBron, pg. 1027)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 779, 780, 781 ... 1026, 1027, 1028  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject:

I think the only thing stopping him from coming home is the Western Conference might’ve scared him a bit.

In the East: he’s an All-Star, 1st option on a playoff team, respected, etc etc

In the West: he’s a 2nd option on a team that struggled to make the playoffs and lost in the first round to a rookie led team

He might shrivel up and consider Cleveland (assuming Lebron stays) or Philly
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject:

dubaholic1 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:
I am totally in the minority here but I think PG is vastly over rated,as well as possessing a shall we say " less than competitive spirit"

We may have hated Greg Foster but at least he had the balls to make a throat slitting gesture or two.

PG is a little light in the loafers you feel me?

Maybe this is just an indictment of the league as a whole these days.

I agree that he is overrated by some here, those who think he will lead the team to playoff success. He isn’t a first option but works well as a 2nd/3rd option.

Exactly and with that rationale how could he ever deserve to be maxed out? I just cant fathom how much money is thrown at these guys nowadays.

But it is. You have to pay to play.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
24Legend007 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
24Legend007 wrote:
I agree, George is a 2nd or 3rd option. I think he is about Scottie Pippen.

Paul George is no Scottie Pippen in my opinion.

Well maybe just a 3rd option then?

it's nothing against PG, I just have a very high opinion of Pippen as a player.

Yeah. They're not the same types of players. Pippen was more of a playmaker than PG13 is, and at his peak, the better defender. But I like what PG13 would bring to this team, particularly behind a true #1 like LBJ or KL.

Leonard isn’t a true #1. Or a fake one, he too is a 2nd/3rd option. Lebron is definitely a true #1.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
24Legend007 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
24Legend007 wrote:

Yeah. They're not the same types of players. Pippen was more of a playmaker than PG13 is, and at his peak, the better defender. But I like what PG13 would bring to this team, particularly behind a true #1 like LBJ or KL.

Leonard isn’t a true #1. Or a fake one, he too is a 2nd/3rd option. Lebron is definitely a true #1.

Today I learned leading your team to a title and winning finals MVP beating the "true #1" makes you a #2. In fact, this post is a load of #2
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject:

If this is an inappropriate comment - I apologize and please delete

But some people on here are treating a max contract like a girl holding onto her virginity.
UKUGA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Right.

It can difficult for some to swallow, but every "max" player is not a #1 player on a championship team.

I think the best, most recent example of this, is Chris Bosh.

You had to max that guy to get him, but everyone pretty much knew he wasn't leading his team to a title as the #1 option. (Imagine if he had stayed in Toronto).

Last edited by UKUGA on Fri May 18, 2018 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject:

UKUGA wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Right.

It can difficult for some to swallow, but not every "max" player is not a #1 player on a championship team.

You had to max that guy to get him, but everyone pretty much knew he wasn't leading his team to a title as the #1 option. (Imagine if he had stayed in Toronto).

This is one of the most, if not the most, level-headed "first" posts I've seen on this board. Kudos to you (unless you're a banned guy under a new name ).

And when you consider every team has the cap space for 2...even 3 maxes, of course there's going to be guys getting them that aren't future hall of famers. A max contract isn't a First-Team award or accolade. It's a mere market reality.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

But some people on here are treating a max contract like a girl holding onto her virginity.

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
24Legend007 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
24Legend007 wrote:

Um. He was the Finals MVP and unquestionable #1 option when they beat the Heat. Not sure what you're talking about.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject:

Right. If people talking about needing a "Big 3" or "Big 4," not everyone is technically a #1 option yet are paid max deals. Should guys #2-3(4) not get a max? Of course not.
UKUGA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
UKUGA wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Right.

It can difficult for some to swallow, but every "max" player is not a #1 player on a championship team.

This is one of the most, if not the most, level-headed "first" posts I've seen on this board. Kudos to you (unless you're a banned guy under a new name ).

And when you consider every team has the cap space for 2...even 3 maxes, of course there's going to be guys getting them that aren't future hall of famers. A max contract isn't a First-Team award or accolade. It's a mere market reality.

Well, it's all downhill from here.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject:

UKUGA wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
UKUGA wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Right.

Well, it's all downhill from here.

Did you join Feb 2008 and wait 10 yrs to start posting?
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject:

BigBallerBrand wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Translation: Some people on this forum have too high of standards when it comes to giving a max contract out if they think PG13 isn't a max player
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
24Legend007 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
24Legend007 wrote:

Lebron is going to end up one of the top 3 greatest players of all time. You don't have to be Lebron James to be a true #1 option.

Leonard is a champion, Finals MVP, 2x DPOY and a legitimate MVP candidate when healthy. On what planet is that not a true #1 option?

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
BigBallerBrand wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Translation: Some people on this forum have too high of standards when it comes to giving a max contract out if they think PG13 isn't a max player

by their logic, the following should not have gotten a max contract:

one of Kobe or Shaq b/c you can't have two #1 options.
MJ/Pippen.
LBJ/Bosh/Wade
Steph/KD/Klay/Dray

And so on.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject:

Leonard is true #1.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

Ugh.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
BigBallerBrand wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

I think its because of the correct expectation that with PG13, we're probably going to be just a playoff team, and so he's not worth the max since he can't instantly propel us into the championship conversation.

The model seems to be a kobe and shaq model whereby the lakers have two HOFs who are almost guaranteed to bring home rings on the basis of star power alone. Historically though, the lakers have always won championships that way, I can't really recall a lakers championship team which did not feature at least one HOF, but my memory goes only to '80.

Unfortunately, I think if we're going to bring back rings this time round, its going to be more like a Detriot model with everyone pitching in. That's why I think PG13 is still worth getting. He is an important cog in a championship by committee team.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject:

Just to be fair though, the max is only the max because of the CBA.

If there wasn't a CBA, I feel that players such as Lebron would be getting far in excess of 35 mil.

So I don't think 30 mil for PG13 is that bad a deal. It might actually be his true market price, if there was no CBA.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

I think its because of the correct expectation that with PG13, we're probably going to be just a playoff team, and so he's not worth the max since he can't instantly propel us into the championship conversation.

That would apply to about 95% of all max FA signings.

Horford. Hayward. Same concept in 2016 and 2017 yet the Celts signed them to max deals.

We need to wake up from this kind of argument b/c it's nonsensical and not in tune with today's reality with FAs.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject:

People are just out of their (bleep) minds. We're BETTER with PG. He absolutely IS a max player. Don't complicate (bleep).
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
BigBallerBrand wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

The model seems to be a kobe and shaq model whereby the lakers have two HOFs who are almost guaranteed to bring home rings on the basis of star power alone. Historically though, the lakers have always won championships that way, I can't really recall a lakers championship team which did not feature at least one HOF, but my memory goes only to '80.

Unfortunately, I think if we're going to bring back rings this time round, its going to be more like a Detriot model with everyone pitching in. That's why I think PG13 is still worth getting. He is an important cog in a championship by committee team.

It's not either or though. It's not like we can only sign one max contract and it must be the right dude.

If Kobe was on the team right now, he'd get a max contract. But Kobe needs help. And if Paul George was available and we had the room, we'd offer Paul George a max contract too.

And if we're sitting around waiting for a free agent to "instantly propel us to championship levels," then to use my analogy, we might be a virgin for awhile.

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Fri May 18, 2018 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Even with Kobe, Pau wasn't the lead guy. But would he get a "max" deal if both were in today's CBA environment, absolutely.
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:
I am totally in the minority here but I think PG is vastly over rated,as well as possessing a shall we say " less than competitive spirit"

We may have hated Greg Foster but at least he had the balls to make a throat slitting gesture or two.

PG is a little light in the loafers you feel me?

Maybe this is just an indictment of the league as a whole these days.

That's what your barometer is in terms of players?

yes 100%
I want to be entertained which is why "Showtime " was created in the first place.

It doesn't make me less of a fan because I dont know the status of someone's Bird rights or what a salary cap really is and it doesn't make stat geeks more of a fan because they do.

I'd rather we spend money on a player who will bring passion every time they wear the golden armor and it bothers me terribly to see so much money potentially spent on one player like PG who barely registers a pulse most nights. Same reason why I always disliked Melo.

I just want my Showtime back. I want passionate players.

If Paul George does come I hope he brings the passion for the team.

After All, his initials PG = Purple and GOLD
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Showtime isn't coming back. If you won't like PG13, then it may be a while for you as a Lakers fan. Not sure what else can be said.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 779, 780, 781 ... 1026, 1027, 1028  Next
Page 780 of 1028
Jump to: