Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

WHY? Differences of opinion bring solutions. You've offered solutions continue to voice them and authenticate.

Did you read the second paragraph of Hector's post? This discussion has gone too far off the rails.

Quote:
Quote:

And by the way the school had armed security and a plan for a shooting situation.

AH You know you my peep but on this you have me confused. Do you REALLY advocate arming teachers?

Not that post, Jodeke. Here, let me quote it for you:

Quote:
I'm just going to go.out on a limb here but I'll happily take the hit for it. You're an idiot. You are completely clueless when it comes to the role of teachers and double down with a total ignorance of what it takes to prepare someone for even remotely controlled combat. You think that the answer to a problem that is somehow unique to.this country is to somehow combine two extremely challenging jobs? Your view of life is beyond simplistic and ignorant.

Got it? Hector is still posting in this thread. AMR is still throwing tantrums in this thread. We have discussed the differential moderation on this board in the past. I have better things to do with my time. This stuff should be moved to The Political Thread, where there is no danger of competing viewpoints.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject:

That’s a dishonest take sir, and you know it, and you know I know it.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
The problem of violence is not solved by fortifying the last place attacked. That’s maginot line thinking, fighting the last war. Right now schools are a thing because that’s been in the public mindset, but you can just as easily wreak havoc in a culdesac.

Eh. You're just talking around the issue. School shootings are a problem. What is your realistic solution? Don't tell me about the Maginot line or whatever. Tell me what you propose to do that has a realistic chance of happening.

At some point, state legislatures are going to start doing something. That's the nature of politicians. They want to tell their constituents that they are addressing the issues. They are not going to ban firearms, because the public likes guns and because the Second Amendment makes it a non-starter. They are not going to ban assault weapons, and that would not have made a difference in Santa Fe anyway. All of the other stuff in the gun control agenda -- background checks, etc. -- is not applicable.

The one feasible response is arming teachers. They won't arm every teacher, and they will have all sorts of training requirements and the like. But the legislatures will be able to tell the public that they have done something. Who knows? It might work. I don't really support it, but I realize that the alternative -- doing nothing -- is unappealing.

If you don't have a feasible alternative, and you just want to criticize the response (or talk about banning firearms or whatnot), that's fine. But you aren't occupying the higher ground this time.

No, the person talking around the problem is yourself. School shootings are not the problem. There are shootings at various venues, so clearly schools aren't the problem, the shooting is. It doesn't take much thought to realize the common denominator in shootings is the guns. The logical extension of that is to address the actual issue . . . the guns themselves.

This whole, "you can't do anything about the guns so let's legislate everything else" is BS. It victimizes the populace in order to pacify a segment of citizens who are too enamored of their weapons, the sole purpose of which is to kill.

To propose that turning public venues into "shooting proof" fortresses is such an ass backward approach to the problem that it isn't even funny.

Address the actual problems, not the occasional locations. That is the blatantly obvious approach - at least to those truly interested in solving the problem rather than dancing around trying to appease those who refuse to be a part of the solution.

That IS the high ground.

No, the common denominator is disturbed individuals, the guns are just a tool. Magically eliminate all guns and the same individuals find another way to make their message known. That is like treating a fever from an infection and allowing the infection to fester.

The tool happens to be able to kill lots of people. A shovel is a tool. A bulldozer is a piece of equipment that requires training and regular recertification to operate.

Fine, make gun education a requirement to own a gun ( most States do). Require recertification. Legal gun owners wouldn’t fight that but it would have no effect on the criminals who buy guns on the street. Especially those who buy them from the government.

Can you tell me how many mass shootings in the US that were committed using unregistered guns?

I have no idea, I don’t know when they began registration. Definitely not 40 years ago when I last purchased a gun. It is surprising that California is only now requiring ID to purchase ammo, you had to have a gun card to do so in Illinois 40 years ago.

The answer is none of them. Every state. None of them. All registered and traced.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
If you were many more times likely to die en route than to reach your destination, would you drive a car? Yet that’s the truth about a gun at home (you are many more times more likely to be killed with it than to use it to defend your life from attack) yet we keep hearing about the home invader (often exaggerated) stopped, and that offsets the many more deaths in the minds of many.

Guns are and always have been about the perception of power, not the rational tool of need.

Or for some of us a method to put food on the table.

Please. Hunting for subsistence as a necessity is long gone. And even there, as in Canada, hunting and the keeping and carry it guns for non hunting purposes are quite separate issues that aren’t mutually exclusive. But it’s another great example of the dishonest whack a mole.

I guess it is a dishonest truth then. The only times my guns leave the safe is to hunt. Generalize all you want, I can’t speak for others. I was taught proper gun use and I have passed that onto my son and daughter.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Does the US have the only disturbed individuals?

Does it matter? We have mental issues that are being ignored, instead we can spend billions on stations for high speed rail that will never exist. Our legislators don’t care about the general population, they only care about who lines their pocketbooks. I have never lived in any other country so I can’t make assumptions about how they treat their general population. The fact is that there are many more law abiding gun owners than criminals who commit crimes with guns. The guns aren’t the issue, the people are.

They both are. I’m still waiting for you or any other gun rights advocate to come up with what to do about “people”, especially when you also tend to resist most of the things that relate to helping “people” when those issues are at hand. It’s like whack a mole. Because it isn’t really a cohesive position with the other ones, but that’s the idea.

I disagree, I can speak for myself but I believe many other gun owners agree that reform is necessary. If one needs to go through more scrutiny to hunt then I think that they do so. The issue isn’t gun owners, it is politics (and I consider the NRA a political body). I received an application from the NRA in the mail this week but put it in the recycle bin. I support gun ownership but reject blind denial of an approach to improve the situation. The problem begins and ends with our elected officials, they have the power to do something but continue to ignore it. Let’s lay blame where it belongs.

I have said it many times before. Responsible gun owners are fine with going through training and regular recertification. The problem is that that certification doesn't apply to the household. If the accountability of having a gun In your name extends to everything that happens with that gun then things will change. Suddenly I'm a good guy with a gun but.my son took it and shot up a school but it's not my fault doesn't play. Sorry buddy but you're going down because you can't control what you own. You provided a weapon to a murderer and you are an accessory.

I have no problem with that, hence the statement earlier in the thread that I blame my generation. There are so many human values we need to pass onto our children and failure to do so is the fault of the parents.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
If you were many more times likely to die en route than to reach your destination, would you drive a car? Yet that’s the truth about a gun at home (you are many more times more likely to be killed with it than to use it to defend your life from attack) yet we keep hearing about the home invader (often exaggerated) stopped, and that offsets the many more deaths in the minds of many.

Guns are and always have been about the perception of power, not the rational tool of need.

Please. Hunting for subsistence as a necessity is long gone. And even there, as in Canada, hunting and the keeping and carry it guns for non hunting purposes are quite separate issues that aren’t mutually exclusive. But it’s another great example of the dishonest whack a mole.

I guess it is a dishonest truth then. The only times my guns leave the safe is to hunt. Generalize all you want, I can’t speak for others. I was taught proper gun use and I have passed that onto my son and daughter.

That doesn’t have anything to do with what I said. The fact that you eat what you kill does not mean or imply that the gun argument is a bunch of noble hunters vs (insert straw man here). In the larger sense, the resistance to common sense regulation is not about putting food on the table.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Sadly omar there are some in the us that actually do hunt for food to live..they would likely look at mass shootings as a waste of ammo. 3 rounds in a kid? That could have been 3 meals or more depending on the animal.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
AMR is still throwing tantrums in this thread.

Not even remotely. Meanwhile, you are spouting insults about "grownups". Once again your lack intellectual honesty is as hilarious as it is despicable.
Quote:

We have discussed the differential moderation on this board in the past.

Few have benefitted as much from that as yourself.

Quote:
We have discussed the differential moderation on this board in the past. I have better things to do with my time. This stuff should be moved to The Political Thread, where there is no danger of competing viewpoints.

Again, your disingenuousness shows. No one bristles at a differing opinion more than yourself, as this thread amply proves.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

You don't need to hunt for subsistence though, which is as honest and real as it gets.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Sadly omar there are some in the us that actually do hunt for food to live..they would likely look at mass shootings as a waste of ammo. 3 rounds in a kid? That could have been 3 meals or more depending on the animal.

Maybe my point was unclear. I consider that argument orthogonal (in this case, deliberately so, in order to continue to shift and move and muddy the argument) to the one we were having. You can own a rifle, keep it at an approved facility, maintain a certification and training, and check the rifle out to go hunting (with, say, a 24 hour lead time from ordering your rifle to picking it up).
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
But I will answer your question. The most important thing you can do about guns is end gerrymandered districts. The majority of Americans don’t own guns, and the majority favor doing commmon sense measures, but the gun lobby owns too many districts by fear of their base. Then you start with common sense ownership, and more importantly, carry and storage issues. I know it will drive the privacy nuts crazy (but what doesn’t?), but registration of all guns is key. People don’t tend to murder people as often with guns they are tied to, and registration leads to real carry and educational reform.

Great example of using a an event/tragedy to indirectly push a ideological agenda. I hoped this thread would stick to discussing potential real solutions, but I can see it lost it's way pages ago. Pretty clearly, every idea will be undercut and scoffed at because there is only one goal for some.

The first sign is when someone throws out the description "common sense" which is often all of the bad things that they do not want to directly identify and are trying to cling onto a higher moral ground by dressing it up with the "common sense" description. It's all about limiting the influences and activities to allow candidates with their preferred positions/agenda to win elections. Want to discuss gun locks and extended responsibility of the gun owner when minors reside on property.....that is a worthy discussion....trying to to make it about gerrymandered districts, the gun lobby, and national registrations screams you are seeking political high ground and agenda victory, but have little interest in real solutions.

Since this was conventional weapons and there is nothing related to background checks.....I really hoped for once we as a country would focus on some type of real solution....and have honest conversations....but it's now about gerrymandered districts, the gun lobby, and national registrations. I love this quote...."People don’t tend to murder people as often with guns they are tied to". Really? So you think this kid was on some covert mission? What on earth would lead anyone to believe any of these school shootings would be stopped because the shooters were too worried about being connected to the firearm?

You want political and legislative changes? Win more elections. You want to decrease school shootings? Secure the schools.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
You can own a rifle, keep it at an approved facility, maintain a certification and training, and check the rifle out to go hunting (with, say, a 24 hour lead time from ordering your rifle to picking it up).

I would suggest lock up the thread....just a suggestion, but I know you are fully aware that is not tinkering with the 2nd Amendment....but literally taking a sledge hammer to it. There is a greater chance we nuke Canada than something like that ever passing muster with the US Supreme Court.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Why are American children growing up bullied and punked at young ages in these required buildings of "learning"

Now you want them to sit in a prison with prison guards all around because nobody gives a (bleep) about the actual (bleep) up society

Nobody cares about the kids.. just the guns and the (bleep) truckloads of thoughts and prayers

Why are kids doing this (bleep) FREQUENTLY now

WHY are the kids resorting to this type of "no other way" mentality

WHAT THE (bleep) why are these kids not helped before this (bleep) happens

School is what builds this nation.. maybe we need enough funding to make sure children are NEVER bullied by ANYONE ..

(bleep) coaches bully children.. CHILDREN...

No smoking zone
No gun zone
No bullying zone either...
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
You can own a rifle, keep it at an approved facility, maintain a certification and training, and check the rifle out to go hunting (with, say, a 24 hour lead time from ordering your rifle to picking it up).

I would suggest lock up the thread....just a suggestion, but I know you are fully aware that is not tinkering with the 2nd Amendment....but literally taking a sledge hammer to it. There is a greater chance we nuke Canada than something like that ever passing muster with the US Supreme Court.

"lock"
wow
who throws these words around so easily
there is a certain piece of land in the world we give over 3 billion dollars a year but we also aren't allowed to talk about them..

Now you want to lock a thread because an individual said something you completely disagree with?

*Gun registration is something people don't want but it seems very logical. Every gun in America should be registered to someone.

I cut out photos of what we did when we attacked Iraq in Desert Storm.. piles and piles of gun taken from all the Iraqi people
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

WHY? Differences of opinion bring solutions. You've offered solutions continue to voice them and authenticate.

Did you read the second paragraph of Hector's post? This discussion has gone too far off the rails.

Quote:
Quote:

And by the way the school had armed security and a plan for a shooting situation.

AH You know you my peep but on this you have me confused. Do you REALLY advocate arming teachers?

Not that post, Jodeke. Here, let me quote it for you:

Quote:
I'm just going to go.out on a limb here but I'll happily take the hit for it. You're an idiot. You are completely clueless when it comes to the role of teachers and double down with a total ignorance of what it takes to prepare someone for even remotely controlled combat. You think that the answer to a problem that is somehow unique to.this country is to somehow combine two extremely challenging jobs? Your view of life is beyond simplistic and ignorant.

Got it? Hector is still posting in this thread. AMR is still throwing tantrums in this thread. We have discussed the differential moderation on this board in the past. I have better things to do with my time. This stuff should be moved to The Political Thread, where there is no danger of competing viewpoints.

AGAIN, You know you u my peeps. Go intellectual. Bring points of view without being combative. To HTP and DMR same.

Rodney; CAN'T WE JUST GET ALONG?

PULLING FOR DA DUBS
CA vs TX

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:

I have said it many times before. Responsible gun owners are fine with going through training and regular recertification. The problem is that that certification doesn't apply to the household. If the accountability of having a gun In your name extends to everything that happens with that gun then things will change. Suddenly I'm a good guy with a gun but.my son took it and shot up a school but it's not my fault doesn't play. Sorry buddy but you're going down because you can't control what you own. You provided a weapon to a murderer and you are an accessory.

I like this a lot.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I hoped this thread would stick to discussing potential real solutions, but I can see it lost it's way pages ago. Pretty clearly, every idea will be undercut and scoffed at because there is only one goal for some.

I think the goal is quite clear for most of us - fewer civilian deaths from guns as possible . . . especially when it comes to our children. And I am willing to engage in multiple solutions to realize that goal. However, those multiple solutions have to actually address the core issues and not involve bandaid measures that do nothing to stop the constant wounding. Also, one of those solutions has to involve reasonable and rational implementation of gun control measures that reduce the proliferation of ease of access of guns in this country. It's the most obvious and sane approach, regardless of how much the "Gotta Have My Guns" crowd stomps their feet and rants in misguided and self-serving protest.

And you know where the greatest adherence to scoffing at an idea resides? It is with this who absolutely refuse to agree that such gun regulation should be implemented. There is no one more stubborn and unwilling to engage in reasonable discussion than the avid gun lover. Yes, there are people in the anti-gun crowd who are advocates of the all out gun ban that the pro-gun crowd pretends is the sole goal of everyone who wants to address the gun issue in this country. But the number pales in comparison to those in the pro-gun crowd who want to do absolutely everything, regardless of how illogical, unrealistic or oppressive it is, except address the heart of the problem - the guns themselves and the need for the enforcement of responsible ownership and reasonable regulation. SO you can save the whole "The people who advocate for gun control are unwilling to listen or compromise" line. It's simply not accurate.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject:

I think there are plenty of people who can demonstrate a need for carrying (and it is really about carry, not ownership) in certain situations (farmers, bodyguards, hunters, etc) that would allow them within reason and with responsibility to supersede an unarmed person’s freedom from the potential danger their firearm presents. But there absolutely IS NOT any significant movement of hunters to protect their activities by accommodating common sense safety in populated areas.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Says the guy who accuses others of being unwilling to listen and accept differing viewpoints.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Sure. But at one point so was the legitimate humanity of black peoples, or the right of women to vote. We’ve tinkered with the constitution over twenty times. The constitution was made to be tinkered with. Btw, the second amendment itself was an example of tinkering with the constitution. The amendment is not sacred in and of itself. It’s sacred because it’s a defendable position for gun advocates when the other arguments fall flat.

Personally, I’m quite willing to compromise on guns. We don’t have to ban them, we just need to agree to where and when and by whom what type of them is appropriate to carry. The key here is the concept of fairness, where your freedom doesn’t supersede mine. Your right to have a high powers rifle in your home shouldn’t supersede the fact that presents an undue danger to your neighbor in that it can shoot right through his wall, and that there’s no legitimate purpose to offset that imposition that couldn’t be cured by, say, a shotgun.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Fwiw, we’ve already all agreed that there are limits on what kind of weapons, who can have them, and where they can carry them.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Sure. But at one point so was the legitimate humanity of black peoples, or the right of women to vote. We’ve tinkered with the constitution over twenty times. The constitution was made to be tinkered with. Btw, the second amendment itself was an example of tinkering with the constitution. The amendment is not sacred in and of itself. It’s sacred because it’s a defendable position for gun advocates when the other arguments fall flat.

Personally, I’m quite willing to compromise on guns. We don’t have to ban them, we just need to agree to where and when and by whom what type of them is appropriate to carry. The key here is the concept of fairness, where your freedom doesn’t supersede mine. Your right to have a high powers rifle in your home shouldn’t supersede the fact that presents an undue danger to your neighbor in that it can shoot right through his wall, and that there’s no legitimate purpose to offset that imposition that couldn’t be cured by, say, a shotgun.

In addition, we have to acknowledge that the sad reality of this country is that it's law enforcement is highly ill-equipped to honestly and fairly deal with the concept of "Open Carry"

Open Carry: Black Man Vs White Man

As much as this country is tied to its guns, it is unfortunately irresponsible and immature in regards to how to deal with them in regards to what best serves society.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Tears for Fears lead singer Roland Orzabal told Melody Maker about this song: "I was reading some feminist literature at the time and I discovered that there are societies in the world still in existence today that are non-patriarchal. They don't have the man at the top and the women at the bottom. They're matricentric - they have the woman at the center and these societies are a lot less violent, a lot less greedy and there's generally less animosity... but the song is also about how men traditionally play down the feminine side of their characters and how both men and women suffer for it.... I think men in a patriarchal society are sold down the river a bit - okay, maybe we're told that we're in control but there are also a hell of a lot of things that we miss out on, which women are allowed to be."
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject:

So these tragedies continue to occur years after Obama personally went door to door and confiscated everyone's guns....

Wait...

You mean that never happened?
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject:

https://www.ed.gov/news/press-releases/secretary-devos-forms-school-safety-commission

March 23rd 2018

The Commission has been charged with quickly providing meaningful and actionable recommendations to keep students safe at school
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: