NBA Expansion?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: NBA Expansion?

This is pretty vague, but I’m not surprised.

Quote:
An anonymous league executive spoke with Jarrett Sutton of SEC Network on Friday and discussed the possibility of the NBA expanding to Kansas City.

“Going to be real honest with you, Kansas City will get an NBA team at some point,” he was quoted as saying. “It’s a real thing I’ve heard from multiple sources. Just a matter of time. Seattle and KC to me are [the] most valuable markets for league expansion when it makes sense.”

http://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/nba-exec-expects-league-expand-kansas-city/444364
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject:

Surprised the NBA is going back to a city in the midwest. That being said, Seattle is pretty obvious since there is a lot of tech money there and the NBA left around the boom....oops....
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject:

I watched the Kings play when they were in KC. Most major corporations have offices in Lenexa, a suburb of KC. I think that the corporate response would be positive.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject:

If Seattle and KC get teams, it should be from relocation, not expansion. When the league added expansion teams in the 90s it really diluted the talent level and hurt the quality of play. Now that the quality of play is good they can't do anything to hurt it.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:01 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
If Seattle and KC get teams, it should be from relocation, not expansion. When the league added expansion teams in the 90s it really diluted the talent level and hurt the quality of play. Now that the quality of play is good they can't do anything to hurt it.

Now that Vegas has a nhl team and with the Raiders not far behind, I don't see why the nba shouldn't follow suit. I think the concerns over sports betting is overblown and can be dealt with. Also Stern is no longer commissioner, so that's a hurdle gone.

Really feel Vegas is a lot more logical location for a team rather than KC. Summer league does really well in Vegas, I think. I think Vegas can sustain a major nba franchise while KC can't.

I agree with Seattle, would be great if the relocated team is the Seattle Clippers. We know everyone wants that, including the owner
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject:

Las Vegas and Seattle would seem like the two obvious candidates. Kansas City strikes me as unlikely, but you never know.

Now that we have franchises selling for such extraordinary prices, I hate to think what the franchise fee would be. It would have to be at least $1B.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Las Vegas and Seattle would seem like the two obvious candidates. Kansas City strikes me as unlikely, but you never know.

Now that we have franchises selling for such extraordinary prices, I hate to think what the franchise fee would be. It would have to be at least $1B.

Isn't a Billion like pocket change to someone like Steve Ballmer? I think Microsoft is worth more than most countries.

Also if we give Vegas to Jordan, will he finally shut up about the woes of being a small market owner? He can easily tap into the LA market from Vegas. Also brings Mitch somewhat close to home.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Now that Vegas has a nhl team and with the Raiders not far behind, I don't see why the nba shouldn't follow suit. I think the concerns over sports betting is overblown and can be dealt with. Also Stern is no longer commissioner, so that's a hurdle gone.

Really feel Vegas is a lot more logical location for a team rather than KC. Summer league does really well in Vegas, I think. I think Vegas can sustain a major nba franchise while KC can't.

I agree with Seattle, would be great if the relocated team is the Seattle Clippers. We know everyone wants that, including the owner

Nevermind that they already have a brand new arena that will love to have NBA dates along with their NHL and concert schedules. With gambling pretty much being legalized across the US, there isn't really a reason to not put up an NBA team there.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
slavavov wrote:

sports betting is legal everywhere now so that argument is gone
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
sports betting is legal everywhere now so that argument is gone

Not quite. Every state can now choose to legalize it, but it remains illegal most places.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:

They will wait until the Lakers have the best team and then take our team apart to support expansion.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
slavavov wrote:

They will wait until the Lakers have the best team and then take our team apart to support expansion.

If the nba is going to support expansion, then the league is silly. I think half the teams right now don't even make a profit.

Vegas and Seattle are lucrative markets where a profit can be made. If anything the nba should be focusing on relocating some of its small market franchises/franchises in areas where there is more than one team, to these locations.

If the nba wants to expand to areas where there is no nba presence, spread out its G league franchises instead.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:

Isn't a Billion like pocket change to someone like Steve Ballmer? I think Microsoft is worth more than most countries..

That’s not how a lot of rich people think. Chances are much higher that they are obsessed with making money IMO. And I mean REALLY obsessed to the point that it’s crazy.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
If anything the nba should be focusing on relocating some of its small market franchises/franchises in areas where there is more than one team, to these locations.

If the NBA really wanted to maximize, it would do the opposite. We'd have three teams in NYC and LA, and two teams in SF and Chicago. Bring on the Anaheim Grizzlies (make that the Los Angeles Grizzlies of Anaheim), the Newark Pelicans, the San Jose Kings, and the Chicago Bucks.
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject:

will Omaha ever get a team? (bleep)

i wont be mad though if KC gets one, that'll be a doable commute to catch games
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
Wino wrote:
slavavov wrote:

If the nba is going to support expansion, then the league is silly. I think half the teams right now don't even make a profit.

Vegas and Seattle are lucrative markets where a profit can be made. If anything the nba should be focusing on relocating some of its small market franchises/franchises in areas where there is more than one team, to these locations.

If the nba wants to expand to areas where there is no nba presence, spread out its G league franchises instead.

If anything the G-League franchises are an afterthought. I saw a Santa Cruz Warriors game on facebook a while ago and the attendance was much better than your usual G-League game. Sure they will probably never get anything close to the attendance of an NBA game but a couple thousand is not a bad number for something that is supposed to be a level down from the NBA.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Vanquish wrote:
Wino wrote:
slavavov wrote:

If anything the G-League franchises are an afterthought. I saw a Santa Cruz Warriors game on facebook a while ago and the attendance was much better than your usual G-League game. Sure they will probably never get anything close to the attendance of an NBA game but a couple thousand is not a bad number for something that is supposed to be a level down from the NBA.

Yups, they are an afterthought now and I think the nba is wasting a perfectly good opportunity.

There are plenty of communities where it would be beneficial for the nba to have a professional basketball team (to promote the league and basketball itself in general) but are not big enough to support a pro team at nba level. I think the G league would be perfect to plug in the gap. Also, in some sports such as soccer, there is excitement on rooting for a minor league team to make the majors, I think the nba can do something similar with G league players. It would be fun to root for players like Andre Ingram to make it by being called up to the nba itself.

I would much rather the G league be successful and have the pay for its players correspondingly increase. Right now the NCAA is taking advantage of players as it really is the only realistic means of getting to the NBA for most players. Those players really should be paid for doing what is essentially a job.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
I think half the teams right now don't even make a profit. .

Officially, 14 of the 30 teams lost money.

However, a lot of people think those official numbers don't include all the different ways that money is generated from owning a team. Because most owners have a complex web of businesses, teams can generate money that isn't included in basketball-related income.

Plus, even if they lose money on the annual revenue, the skyrocketing valuations offset those losses and more. So I am dubious when NBA owners cry poverty.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Vanquish wrote:

However, a lot of people think those official numbers don't include all the different ways that money is generated from owning a team. Because most owners have a complex web of businesses, teams can generate money that isn't included in basketball-related income.

Plus, even if they lose money on the annual revenue, the skyrocketing valuations offset those losses and more. So I am dubious when NBA owners cry poverty.
It defies all logic.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:48 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Vanquish wrote:

It defies all logic.

Loss-making NBA franchises are great tax write offs for someone like Cuban. If the owner has a complex web of businesses like activeverb said, loss-making nba franchises might be worth their valuation price due to the above reason alone.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:52 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Vanquish wrote:

It defies all logic.

I wasn't thinking of the owners, could care less if they go bankrupt However, I do care about competitive balance and equal opportunities so I would like teams' resources to be as similar as possible. I wonder for example if the Thunder had been in a place like LA or NY, would they now have a team of Durant, Westbrook and Harden. It really sucks for the fanbase of a team to let good players go because of financial constraints that other teams might not have. Also, NBA doesn't have a hard cap like the NFL, and I would hate to see a team buy their way to a championship rather than having a great FO who makes good decisions.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject:

Expansion seems like a bad idea. But moving the Clippers to Seattle sounds like a great idea!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: