Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 538, 539, 540 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject:

HOF Rookie wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Anyone think Luke can be as good as brad Stevens? Their first two seasons compare and Luke was able to get a huge improvement defensively.

i like Luke, but he's not on a Stevens level when it comes to X's and O's. He's done a great job building the culture, but the difference between him and Stevens can be seen in late game play design.

also, Luke has the extra challenge of being in the West.

One of Stevens' biggest strengths is his plays out of timeouts. That happens to be Luke's biggest weakness imo.
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
HOF Rookie wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Anyone think Luke can be as good as brad Stevens? Their first two seasons compare and Luke was able to get a huge improvement defensively.

i like Luke, but he's not on a Stevens level when it comes to X's and O's. He's done a great job building the culture, but the difference between him and Stevens can be seen in late game play design.

One of Stevens' biggest strengths is his plays out of timeouts. That happens to be Luke's biggest weakness imo.

i think Luke has an opportunity to grow, but as of today, Stevens is probably the best X and O's coach in the game.

Luke will use the same play out of a time out in a game winning/tying situation over and over. this to me is his biggest weakness.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject:

HOF Rookie wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
HOF Rookie wrote:
Halflife wrote:

i think Luke has an opportunity to grow, but as of today, Stevens is probably the best X and O's coach in the game.

Luke will use the same play out of a time out in a game winning/tying situation over and over. this to me is his biggest weakness.

the question wasnt really about today. When comparing w/l in their first 2 seasons with team its pretty close. Especially since Luke got the team to make a huge jump defensively in one year.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Love Luke but nobody is Stevens.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Shouldn't we give Walton a bit of time to mature as a HC before making comparisons to Stevens?

Stevens has been a HC for over a decade. He led an elite college organization for 6 years and has had 5 years in Boston to learn his craft and install his systems. Stevens initial couple years in Boston were not so great. Stas and win wise he fell off dramatically from Rivers final year. It was not until they started adding players that they started winning.

Walton has been a HC for 2 years. With a young rebuilding roster. There was significant improvement, especially on defense, effort and discipline this past year. Culture changed with less blowouts and some impressive comebacks.

Give Walton a couple years of competitive rosters and teams and then we can compare a bit more fairly.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject:

Luke can learn a lot from Stevens and he can start by doing something about our atrocious inbounds plays.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Luke can learn a lot from Stevens and he can start by doing something about our atrocious inbounds plays.

I don't remember Luke calling for an inbound play that worked?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I don't remember Luke calling for an inbound play that worked?

Yeah. Every inbounds play is a struggle. And how many times did we hear in post game pressers how “we wanted to go to so and so but it wasn’t there”.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Ian Begley
ESPN Staff Writer

The Knicks are talking seriously with Lakers assistant Jud Buechler about joining new head coach David Fizdale's staff as an assistant, per ESPN sources. Buechler has coached as an assistant under Luke Walton with the Lakers, where he worked in player development. A 12-year veteran, Buechler won three titles as a Chicago Bull for teams coached by ex-Knicks president Phil Jackson. Memphis assistant Keith Smart is also expected to be a top assistant under Fizdale.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
Ian Begley
ESPN Staff Writer

The Knicks are talking seriously with Lakers assistant Jud Buechler about joining new head coach David Fizdale's staff as an assistant, per ESPN sources. Buechler has coached as an assistant under Luke Walton with the Lakers, where he worked in player development. A 12-year veteran, Buechler won three titles as a Chicago Bull for teams coached by ex-Knicks president Phil Jackson. Memphis assistant Keith Smart is also expected to be a top assistant under Fizdale.

LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject:

If the Lakers lose Buechler, I hope Luke can find a good veteran NBA coach to replace him. If he's willing, he should look at someone with a great reputation that he has no history. It could help him develop as a head coach getting some new ideas.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
If the Lakers lose Buechler, I hope Luke can find a good veteran NBA coach to replace him. If he's willing, he should look at someone with a great reputation that he has no history. It could help him develop as a head coach getting some new ideas.

If Monty Williams was able to come back, I'd want him.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:

Jud is a player development coach, though. So if he does decide to leave his replacement will have the same role.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

He's been on SA’s staff the last couple of years.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
epak wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

As what?
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Judah wrote:
epak wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

As what?

Correction: He's the VP of basketball ops for the Spurs, not an assistant coach. Not sure I can see him becoming a player development coach, though. How often do guys with extensive head coaching experience go back to player development?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
epak wrote:
Judah wrote:
epak wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

As what?

Correction: He's the VP of basketball ops for the Spurs, not an assistant coach. Not sure I can see him becoming a player development coach, though. How often do guys with extensive head coaching experience go back to player development?

Hmm. He's not listed here
https://www.nba.com/spurs/bios/index
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject:

^ Monty Williams to interview for Milwaukee Bucks head coaching job: report
Updated May 4; Posted May 4

http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.ssf/2018/05/monty_williams_to_interview_fo.html
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:

http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.ssf/2018/05/monty_williams_to_interview_fo.html

Mike Budenholzer is the new Bucks head coach.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject:

Luke is a culture coach <-- more Phil Jackson in approach

Stevens is an offensive mastermind <-- more Pop in approach

Luke needs his Tex Winter
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Luke is a culture coach <-- more Phil Jackson in approach

Stevens is an offensive mastermind <-- more Pop in approach

Luke needs his Tex Winter

Yea easier said than done.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject:

I hope the Jud replacement isn’t just some buddy of Luke’s cause of Arizona connection.... we need a top notch assistant coach on the bench.....
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject:

I would love to see Jud go; he was coaching I believe middle school soccer before joining the Lakers.
UKUGA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I hope the Jud replacement isn’t just some buddy of Luke’s cause of Arizona connection.... we need a top notch assistant coach on the bench.....

Here comes Richard Jefferson . . .
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:

Mike Budenholzer is the new Bucks head coach.

the idea was that Monty is looking for a head coaching job so is unlikely to look at a position as an assistant with us .
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 538, 539, 540 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 539 of 818
Jump to: