Barkley: Why are people moving Lebron past Kobe?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:

as good as curry is, he's soft. i don't think he's capable of grinding out year in and out.

And yet he has.

Seriously, with what he's accomplished how do you get soft? If he was soft they wouldn't have even made the finals once. I mean what do you base this on? Why aren't other scoring PGs who consistently lose not soft? Like Lillard? But the one who always wins is soft?

B/c Lillard talks about how he's from Oakland all the time.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
RG73 wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:

as good as curry is, he's soft. i don't think he's capable of grinding out year in and out.

And yet he has.

Seriously, with what he's accomplished how do you get soft? If he was soft they wouldn't have even made the finals once. I mean what do you base this on? Why aren't other scoring PGs who consistently lose not soft? Like Lillard? But the one who always wins is soft?

God, Oaklandians (?) 😂 are kinda like New Yorkers in the sense that everyone will know where you are from. Even when no one asks...
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:

Yes you want a very good to great team to compete with. but you dont reallllly want to just run over everyone every day every year

This isn't a pickup game in the park for fun that is forgotten 5 minutes after it's over; this is a business where millions of dollars are tied to winning and losing.

I doubt there's been a superstar in NBA history who wouldn't love to be surrounded by an overwhelming of talent that obliterates the competition.

Durant simply plays in an era where it's easier for players to orchestra that. (Which is what fans dislike. They don't mind if a superstar is surrounded by an overwhelming amount of talent; they simply prefer it when a star seems to have "lucked" into the situation.)

And this isn't anything new. In 1982, the 76ers made the finals with Dr. J, Mo Cheeks, Andrew Toney, and Bobby Jones. The next year they signed current MVP Moses Malone and destroyed the league, winning 65 games and going through the playoffs 12-1. Two years later, they drafted Barkley, who everyone immediately realized was going to be a star; Moses and Dr. J were delighted.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
RG73 wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:

And yet he has.

God, Oaklandians (?) 😂 are kinda like New Yorkers in the sense that everyone will know where you are from. Even when no one asks...

So they're like vegans?
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
RG73 wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:

And yet he has.

So they're like vegans?

crossfitter?
EZ-Ryder
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:
the thing that i disagree with is that the warriors would still be successful without Durant.

in my opinion, if they don't have Durant, they don't automatically beat the cavs last year in the finals. maybe that series goes 7. i think the cavs had the blueprint on beating the warriors after getting in their heads and coming back from 3-1.

if someone says they don't need Durant to beat the cavs, then i disagree with that (back when the cavs had kyrie).

I think this is what bugs people the most about what KD did. The Warriors did not automatically beat the Cavs without Durant, yet they still would've been highly favored. It took a herculean effort from Lebron in his prime to come back from 3-1. The Warriors were obviously still a modern day juggernaut, but there was still a chance they could lose if the best players in the league went super saiyan. Adding Durant took out that small % of failure and basically created a team that can't lose. There is no mystery anymore. When the season starts everyone knows who is going to win at the end. They now automatically beat the Cavs and any other team that wants to try. The Rockets have one of the best offenses I've ever seen but they just got demolished by 40 to the Warriors.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject:

EZ-Ryder wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:
the thing that i disagree with is that the warriors would still be successful without Durant.

in my opinion, if they don't have Durant, they don't automatically beat the cavs last year in the finals. maybe that series goes 7. i think the cavs had the blueprint on beating the warriors after getting in their heads and coming back from 3-1.

if someone says they don't need Durant to beat the cavs, then i disagree with that (back when the cavs had kyrie).

I think this is what bugs people the most about what KD did. The Warriors did not automatically beat the Cavs without Durant, yet they still would've been highly favored. It took a herculean effort from Lebron in his prime to come back from 3-1. The Warriors were obviously still a modern day juggernaut, but there was still a chance they could lose if the best players in the league went super saiyan. Adding Durant took out that small % of failure and basically created a team that can't lose. There is no mystery anymore. When the season starts everyone knows who is going to win at the end. They now automatically beat the Cavs and any other team that wants to try. The Rockets have one of the best offenses I've ever seen but they just got demolished by 40 to the Warriors.

There has never been a ton of mystery about who was winning in the NBA.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:

And yet he has.

Curry isn’t soft at all.

In fact, he might be the strongest person on the Warriors. There is a lot of talk around the league about how Curry has some kind of unusual level of strength.

I think people make judgments based on the baby face.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject:

Curry rubs old school guys all kinds of wrong.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Yeah, I guess I get that. He is a finesse player. Just don’t think that makes him soft. I mean, there was that article a while back about how Curry has a freakish core strength and can deadlift 400 lbs. And at the time, only Festus Ezeli on the team was stronger than Curry.

Now granted, I don’t really know what a deadlift is, but 400 lbs sounds like a lot.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:

And yet he has.

I don't think soft is the right word to describe Curry, but he's definitely FRAIL. I don't know how anyone can deny that. When they lost in 2016 against the Cavs most Warriors fans complained that Curry wasn't 100% and didn't look like himself after suffering a knee injury just before the playoffs. The SAME injury he suffered just before THESE playoffs (in which he has also looked not like himself at times). Remember one of the major reasons they were able to get Durant is because Curry's recurring ankle problems lead to a cheaper contract.

I mean, the first time he won he didn't even win Finals MVP. Iggy did (although I believe Curry was robbed). But that shows you how much of a drop off in his play there was in the finals as compared to his scorching regular seasons, that the same media/pundits who were so thirsty to vote him back-to-back MVPs (and the first ever UNANIMOUS MVP) couldn't bring themselves to vote for him for Finals MVP . It ain't like he lost the Finals MVP to Shaq or Kareem. Can you imagine what the detractors would be saying if Kobe lost a Finals MVP to Ron Artest? (because that's the equivalent of what we're talking about here with Curry/Iggy)

Everyone is injured or tired to some degree once the playoffs roll around, but it can affect Curry's game more than other all time greats because his size. It's also way more difficult for Curry to straight up grind points physically and get to the line when his shot isn't falling than someone like say MJ or Kobe.

Even his own coach Kerr is on record saying that Curry benefits from modern defensive rules where you can't even touch a guy and allows for way more freedom for smaller perimeter players.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
RG73 wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:

And yet he has.

I don't think soft is the right word to describe Curry, but he's definitely FRAIL. I don't know how anyone can deny that. When they lost in 2016 against the Cavs most Warriors fans complained that Curry wasn't 100% and didn't look like himself after suffering a knee injury just before the playoffs. The SAME injury he suffered just before THESE playoffs (in which he has also looked not like himself at times). Remember one of the major reasons they were able to get Durant is because Curry's recurring ankle problems lead to a cheaper contract.

I mean, the first time he won he didn't even win Finals MVP. Iggy did (although I believe Curry was robbed). But that shows you how much of a drop off in his play there was in the finals as compared to his scorching regular seasons, that the same media/pundits who were so thirsty to vote him back-to-back MVPs (and the first ever UNANIMOUS MVP) couldn't bring themselves to vote for him for Finals MVP . It ain't like he lost the Finals MVP to Shaq or Kareem. Can you imagine what the detractors would be saying if Kobe lost a Finals MVP to Ron Artest? (because that's the equivalent of what we're talking about here with Curry/Iggy)

Everyone is injured or tired to some degree once the playoffs roll around, but it can affect Curry's game more than other all time greats because his size. It's also way more difficult for Curry to straight up grind points physically and get to the line when his shot isn't falling than someone like say MJ or Kobe.

Even his own coach Kerr is on record saying that Curry benefits from modern defensive rules where you can't even touch a guy and allows for way more freedom for smaller perimeter players.

Curry's playoffs aren't as bad as you're making out. For his career, his playoff stats are 25-5-6 on 45/41/89 shooting, so it's not like he's falling apart.

And, from eyeballing the stats, I don't think his playoff performance over the past four years has been hugely different than his regular season performance.

When it comes to the finals, you're overlooking something. All of Curry's finals have been against the same team -- Cleveland. And overall, he struggled against them those three years in the regular season too. Just from an eyeball, I didn't get the sense his finals stats against Cleveland were that different than his regular season stats against them. So, it might not be that Curry struggles in the finals, as much as Cleveland is a hard matchup for him.

Last edited by activeverb on Thu May 24, 2018 12:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Batguano wrote:
RG73 wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:

And yet he has.

Curry's playoffs aren't as bad as you're making out. For his career, his playoff stats are 25-5-6 on 45/41/89 shooting, so it's not like he's falling apart.

And, from eyeballing the stats, I don't think his playoff performance over the past four years has been hugely different than his regular season performance.

When it comes to the finals, you're overlooking something. All of Curry's finals have been against the same team -- Cleveland. And overall, he struggled against them those three years in the regular season too. Just from an eyeball, I didn't get the sense his finals stats against Cleveland were that different than his regular season stats against them. So, it might not be that Curry struggles in the finals, as much as Cleveland is a hard matchup for him.

They were down 1-3 to the Thunder that same playoffs and only rallied after Klay went nuclear to save their season.

I've also never seen a "GOAT player" that can sit out entire playoff rounds to get healthy (in the West no less) while his team takes care of business without him. But that has already happened numerous times with Curry. Again, imagine what people would say if Kobe sat out even one round and Gasol led the Lakers to playoffs victories without him. I can only imagine what a couple of posters in this thread would say (not coincidentally, some of the same posters that are now hypocritically whiteknighting Curry against the same type of criticism they would use against Kobe). Ain't life grand when you can go around continually shifting the goalposts to create whatever "truth" you want in your own head?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Yeah, I guess I get that. He is a finesse player. Just don’t think that makes him soft. I mean, there was that article a while back about how Curry has a freakish core strength and can deadlift 400 lbs. And at the time, only Festus Ezeli on the team was stronger than Curry.

Now granted, I don’t really know what a deadlift is, but 400 lbs sounds like a lot.

It's not just the finesse. He pulls up from 40 feet, he's unbelievably good at it, and he knows it. He's also an analytics wet dream. He's both in terms of game and personal style an avatar of everything old school fans hate about the new NBA.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
RG73 wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:

And yet he has.

When it comes to the finals, you're overlooking something. All of Curry's finals have been against the same team -- Cleveland. And overall, he struggled against them those three years in the final season too. Just from an eyeball, I didn't get the sense his finals stats against Cleveland were that different than his regular season stats against them. So, it might not be that Curry struggles in the finals, as much as Cleveland is a hard matchup for him.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:

They were down 1-3 to the Thunder that same playoffs and only rallied after Klay went nuclear to save their season.

I'm not sure what your point here is. Klay played OK in that series, but Curry performed better. In two of the final three wins in that series, Curry outscored and outshot Klay, so I don't see how Klay "saved the season" more than Curry "saved the season."

Batguano wrote:
I've also never seen a "GOAT player" that can sit out entire playoff rounds to get healthy (in the West no less) while his team takes care of business without him.

There have been tons of great players who missed playoff games, and entire playoffs because of injuries, including Kobe, Magic, Kareem, Wilt and Bird. Look at the Lakers. I saw the Lakers win a ring while Kareem sat out of the final game with a migraine. Long ago, the Lakers won a playoff series after Elgin Baylor got injured in the first game and never played again. Magic got knocked out of the finals with an injury too. So, sure, other teams "have taken care of business" when a star goes down.

Batguano wrote:
But that has already happened numerous times with Curry. Again, imagine what people would say if Kobe sat out even one round and Gasol led the Lakers to playoffs victories without him. I can only imagine what a couple of posters in this thread would say (not coincidentally, some of the same posters that are now hypocritically whiteknighting Curry against the same type of criticism they would use against Kobe). Ain't life grand when you can go around continually shifting the goalposts to create whatever "truth" you want in your own head?

I'm not interested in discussing guesses about how people would react to imagery scenarios, but I'm always happy to talk about what actually happened in real life.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Batguano wrote:

I'm not sure what your point here is. Klay played OK in that series, but Curry performed better. In two of the final three wins in that series, Curry outscored and outshot Klay, so I don't see how Klay "saved the season" more than Curry "saved the season."

Batguano wrote:
I've also never seen a "GOAT player" that can sit out entire playoff rounds to get healthy (in the West no less) while his team takes care of business without him.

There have been tons of great players who missed playoff games, and entire playoffs because of injuries, including Kobe, Magic, Kareem, Lebron, Wilt and Bird. I saw the Lakers win a ring while Kareem sat out of the final game with a migraine. Magic got knocked out of the finals with an injury too.

Batguano wrote:
But that has already happened numerous times with Curry. Again, imagine what people would say if Kobe sat out even one round and Gasol led the Lakers to playoffs victories without him. I can only imagine what a couple of posters in this thread would say (not coincidentally, some of the same posters that are now hypocritically whiteknighting Curry against the same type of criticism they would use against Kobe). Ain't life grand when you can go around continually shifting the goalposts to create whatever "truth" you want in your own head?

I'm not interested in discussing guesses about how people would react to imagery scenarios, but I'm always happy to talk about what actually happened in real life.

Yes, because Kareem, Magic and the others missing a playoff game here and there is THE EXACT SAME THING as Curry missing ENTIRE PLAYOFF SERIES and his team still dominating without him.

Hilarious (and predictable) to me how committed you are to defending Curry and other players' "GOAT honor" yet you're the first to crinkle your nose at these Kobe threads when they try to suggest the same.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:

Yes, because Kareem, Magic and the others missing a playoff game here and there is THE EXACT SAME THING as Curry missing ENTIRE PLAYOFF SERIES and his team still dominating without him.

Curry was injured in the first round series against the Spurs this year. The Spurs were the 7th seed, their own best player was out with an injury, and they limbed into the playoffs losing 5 of their final 9 games. Does it surprise me that a stacked Warriors team was able to beat them easily without Curry? No. We've seen plenty of teams win an early round series with their star out, and of course the Warriors have more stars than anyone.

Batguano wrote:
Hilarious (and predictable) to me how committed you are to defending Curry and other players' "GOAT honor" yet you're the first to crinkle your nose at these Kobe threads when they try to suggest the same.

You are mistaking me for someone else. I don't consider Curry to be a GOAT-level player or anywhere close to the Top 10 of All Time, but I have consistently said I think Kobe is one of the 4-8 best players in NBA history.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
You are mistaking me for someone else. I don't consider Curry to be a GOAT-level player or anywhere close to the Top 10 of All Time, but I have consistently said I think Kobe is one of the 4-8 best players in NBA history.

Yes, this is certainly an odd turn in the discussion. I'd probably put Curry in the top 25, maybe even the top 20, but it's still too early in his career to spend a lot of thought on the matter. It is still possible that he could crack the top 10 some day, but we will probably look back and see that his best years are already behind him. He just turned 30, after all. It's unlikely that he will have another three to five seasons at an elite level.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Yes, this is certainly an odd turn in the discussion. I'd probably put Curry in the top 25, maybe even the top 20, but it's still too early in his career to spend a lot of thought on the matter. It is still possible that he could crack the top 10 some day, but we will probably look back and see that his best years are already behind him. He just turned 30, after all. It's unlikely that he will have another three to five seasons at an elite level.

I'd probably have him in the top 30 right now, but I don't give a whole bunch of thought to how guys that far down from the top sort out. He had a fairly slow start to his career, so I have trouble seeing him do enough to crack the top 10.

But I think he'll go down as a seminal player in the sense he epitomizes how the game changed into the current era of 3-point shooting and he might end up being regarded as the best shooter ever.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Incidentally, the Rockets-Warriors series renders my criticism of KD's decision pretty moot. Will have to reevaluate my opinion of him.

I have to say, Curry is really disappointing me. Harden too.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Incidentally, the Rockets-Warriors series renders my criticism of KD's decision pretty moot. Will have to reevaluate my opinion of him.

At least curry is hurt.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
tox wrote:

At least curry is hurt.

Is he? He doesn't seem noticeably hobbled to me
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Lebron is amazing.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject:

george w kush wrote:
Lebron is amazing.

Seconded. Dude doesnt have a single player I’d trade Josh Hart for.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 19 of 34
Jump to: