Was Mitchell or Porzingod the bigger miss from our FO?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lonzobryant
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
You can't fault them for either of those two players. You CAN fault them for Ball over Tatum, especially with all the flags Lonzo had coming into the draft. Ainge knew Tatum was the best prospect of the top 5 talents and moved down all while gaining another piece in the process. Ainge outplayed Magic on draft night.

Tatum would've played SG for us? We needed a PG and that's exactly what we drafted. And perhaps Magic saw a little of himself in Lonzo.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject:

Lonzo is going to be a more valuable player than Tatum. You can bookmark this.
Christopher Walken
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

This is what I've been trying to say in a few different threads- Zo is already more valuable and better in the league as a defender, than Tatum is at offense...not just in rookies but in the whole damn league.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Yeah. Unlike others, I'd give it more than 1 season to conclude the debate.
tgi_friyay
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Lakersground, where the team with the best draft class of the season, still fails.

So accurate
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Trading DLo
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject:

This is so stupid. Even by The Lounge’s standards.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Maybe it is time for a lunatic fringe thread of some sort.

Funny how often a post reveals more about the poster than the subject.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject:

Christopher Walken wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

This is what I've been trying to say in a few different threads- Zo is already more valuable and better in the league as a defender, than Tatum is at offense...not just in rookies but in the whole damn league.

I like Tatum a lot but Zo has more "unteachable" talents than Tatum. His feel for the game, the way he controls tempo, finds the open man, anticipation on defense and on the glass, are things some players take years to learn. His on/off impact was obvious. His shooting is something that's teachable.
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I like Tatum a lot but Zo has more "unteachable" talents than Tatum. His feel for the game, the way he controls tempo, finds the open man, anticipation on defense and on the glass, are things some players take years to learn. His on/off impact was obvious. His shooting is something that's teachable.

Completely agree. The only thing that Tatum does better than Ball is shoot/score. Lonzo is the better defender, rebounder, passer and has higher bball IQ. Tatum has gotten really overrated in the last few weeks. I'm sure if Kuz or even Lauri were in the same shoes as Tatum right now in the playoffs under Brad's system, they would get just as much love.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject:

Oh... I've flipped flopped like a Mofo during the second quarter of the Cavs Celtics Game 4.

Ball/Ingram > Tatum/Brown 100x's.

The 3's may not always go down, but at least our dudes have heart and contribute in many other ways than the average "counting stats"...
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Trading DLo

...was the right move by by an extremely intelligent Lakers front office..

Not sure what you were doing, but I completed the sentence for you. 😄
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
I bet Utah is glad Mitchell fell into their lap....they were never going to be a destination for big name free agents and now they probably have a superstar player for a bargain price for the next couple of years.

Fell into their lap??

Utah traded for Mitchell on draft day.

And I bet Denver is kicking themselves now.

Twice !! They also drafted Rudy G and sent him to Utah lol
Iron Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
You can't fault them for either of those two players. You CAN fault them for Ball over Tatum, especially with all the flags Lonzo had coming into the draft. Ainge knew Tatum was the best prospect of the top 5 talents and moved down all while gaining another piece in the process. Ainge outplayed Magic on draft night.

Ainge robbed Philly for sure.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Did Tatum ever work out for us?

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-draft-rumors-l-a-finalizing-workout-with-dukes-jayson-tatum/2017/06/15/

Seem like Maginka weren’t high on Tatum from the beginning, trying to get him in so late for his 1st workout almost just as a courtesy.

Says that Lakers we’re trying to finalize a workout with Tatum’s camp, but that it was pretty late in the process with just 6 days before draft day, while other players were already scheduling their 2nd workouts. Not even sure if Lakers got Tatum to workout.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

As is his ability to run to the other end of the court when someone is trying to intentionally foul him. That is non-pariel.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Porzingis, but even then given his injury problems it's debatable how big of a miss he was.

Not sure Mitchell or Tatum will end up with a better career than Zo when it's all said and done, even if they hold an advantage now.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:59 pm    Post subject:

JPaulK0n wrote:
Can't blame them for missing out on both, Lakers or any other team wouldn't have the guts to draft either at the draft spot the Lakers were in. Also, Russell and Okafor were the consensus picks to go to the Lakers in 2016 and for the Lakers in 2017,

Look back at the Draft Lotto in the Russ/Pork year and when the Knicks got bumped down to 4th, their representative looked highly disgusted. Meanwhile, that 4th pick gave them the leeway to take a chance on a Euro C. Most of the Knickfan dolts in attendance were similarly disgusted as his name was called. They had echoes of Fred Weis going off in their peabrains. Dropping to 4th was the luckiest thing that's happened to the Knicks in how many years? Meanwhile, we got screwed because we thought conventional wisdom was to draft a small. It was good wisdom when it came to Okafor, just not when it came to PorzinGOD. Not actively wishing it, but if he becomes an injury case, maybe history will be kinder as far as the Russell pick goes. BTW, Windhorst says the Lakers couldn't wait to get rid of Russell and he's supposedly still flippant and cavalier (small C) in Byk.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:05 am    Post subject:

NBALakerLegends wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Completely agree. The only thing that Tatum does better than Ball is shoot/score. Lonzo is the better defender, rebounder, passer and has higher bball IQ. Tatum has gotten really overrated in the last few weeks. I'm sure if Kuz or even Lauri were in the same shoes as Tatum right now in the playoffs under Brad's system, they would get just as much love.

Kuzma could be doing the same things Tatum is doing now. Very confident of that. Not saying he's the better player, but their skills are sufficiently comparable.
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject:

How is this thread still a thing? I mean Mitchell isn’t even a miss by the front office. Had they picked him at 2 that would have been a huge reach in the moment. No one had him as a top 5 kind of player.

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject:

GonzagaAlum wrote:
How is this thread still a thing? I mean Mitchell isn’t even a miss by the front office. Had they picked him at 2 that would have been a huge reach in the moment. No one had him as a top 5 kind of player.

I have severe doubts that Mitchell gets the Lakers to #2 pace (because Lonzo missed 30 games) and among the elite teams in transition.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject:

as great of a scorer as mitchell is. lets ask this question. if he was a laker and we had no zo and no zo replacement at pg. the same guys we had this year. same injuries to BI. are we in the playoffs with mitchell? I say, nope, we barely miss the offs just like we did with zo being out all those games.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject:

Btw, Mitchell is Utah's 2nd Karl Malone, who was also drafted too low at 13. In his case, he said the Mavs gave him verbal commitment at 8th and they surprised everyone by drafting Detlef instead. In the case of a guy going 13th, a situation like that is a direct screwup, moreso than just not recognizing him as a gem. Not recognizing gems happens in every draft and every team misses them. The Mavs then dealt Detlef to Indiana where he became 6MOY almost immediately, so they didn't even get impact from him. I gotta Pacer gm where Detlef was doing whatever he wanted against us and Chick says wryly, "How'd the Mavs not find anything to like about this guy?!..." Stuart replied, some players flourish in different systems. In other words, you can even make the right draft pick and dump the dude and he blows up on another team, making you look like the dopes, but sometimes your system can't be helped (a la Glen Rice in Phil's triangle).

We were thinking Russell might've turned a corner with rebranded New Jersey, and there's still a chance and time, but it was interesting how consistent he was, good or bad, from one team to the next. Maybe not being on a putrid team of any color is the next thing he needs. My spite for him has dissipated quite a lot in his absence. I don't begrudge him if he pulls a Van Exel and essentially smartens up for the rest of his career. He's still young 'n dumb. He may need to see that abyss staring back at him a la Bud Fox.
LakersDC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
I bet Utah is glad Mitchell fell into their lap....they were never going to be a destination for big name free agents and now they probably have a superstar player for a bargain price for the next couple of years.

Guys don't keep "falling" into your lap.

The Jazz front office and coaches are kicking ass for a small market team, they are Sacramento otherwise.

they got "lucky" with Mitchell-- well not lucky because they liked him-- but they also took Lyles over Booker and Exum over Randle. So just like everyone else.. you nail some and miss some.

Mitchell > KP. Love everything about that kid.

Now Im waiting for the "I'd still take Lonzo" argument...

I remember 100% of this board wanted Dante sEXUM and would take Smart if he was on the board - somehow it worked out for us
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Tatum is obviously better than Lonzo Ball. That's a fact, and the sooner Lonzo accepts that, the better.

Ball needs to block out his dad telling he is the best, blah blah, because he isn't. Mitchell and Tatum are way way ahead of him. Ball needs that motivation so he works harder to catch up on both those guys.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13
Jump to: