Wow is the West wide open?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:
GSW does look mortal, and that could really benefit us this summer. Suddenly, the West looks winnable.

Anyway, don't you think all 4 teams still playing look really fatigued? I think it's playing more into series' results than people are giving credit.

Golden State is banged up -- Iggy is out, Thompson has a knee issue and it wasn't sure he'd even play in game 5, Curry isn't going to be healthy for the rest of the playoffs.

This is what I think, man .... going deep in the playoffs for a few seasons is like putting a whole extra season in, plus a whole season where your very best is needed. It always took a ton out of the Lakers and it does everyone else too.

The whole concept of tanking, thinking you won't have a chance against a top team is fairly stupid. This is where it hurt us so badly to sign Moz and Deng. There is always a chance that the best team will have injuries or just a bad series.

No offense to GSW, but they have been anointed being the best team of all time and they have not really earned it yet. I would throw the mid 80 Lakers against them and win it 9/10 times. I love Durant but he is not much of a defensive force inside. GSW gets driven on an awful lot, if they aren't hitting a great rate from 3, they can be had. Houston is playing them perfectly. Hard D, and go to the hoop, quit shooting as many 3's. When you are hot, shoot them, when you aren't ... drive!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
activeverb wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:
GSW does look mortal, and that could really benefit us this summer. Suddenly, the West looks winnable.

Anyway, don't you think all 4 teams still playing look really fatigued? I think it's playing more into series' results than people are giving credit.

Golden State is banged up -- Iggy is out, Thompson has a knee issue and it wasn't sure he'd even play in game 5, Curry isn't going to be healthy for the rest of the playoffs.

This is what I think, man .... going deep in the playoffs for a few seasons is like putting a whole extra season in, plus a whole season where your very best is needed. It always took a ton out of the Lakers and it does everyone else too.

The whole concept of tanking, thinking you won't have a chance against a top team is fairly stupid. This is where it hurt us so badly to sign Moz and Deng. There is always a chance that the best team will have injuries or just a bad series.

No offense to GSW, but they have been anointed being the best team of all time and they have not really earned it yet. I would throw the mid 80 Lakers against them and win it 9/10 times. I love Durant but he is not much of a defensive force inside. GSW gets driven on an awful lot, if they aren't hitting a great rate from 3, they can be had. Houston is playing them perfectly. Hard D, and go to the hoop, quit shooting as many 3's. When you are hot, shoot them, when you aren't ... drive!

You can certainly make a case that last year's Warriors was the best single-season team of all time. (Along with some of the Bulls, Lakers, and Celtics teams.) I wouldn't say they're the best team over a span of years. I'd say that honor probably goes to the Bulls
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject:

Someone mentioned the Warriors having regressed. To me, they haven't regressed as a team, but instead have merely experienced late season injuries to the main guys in the way and to the extent that many teams often experience. The Magic Johnson Showtime Lakers come to mind in the same manner but have a strong decade's run in them. If the Warriors manage to find a replacement for the aging but excellent Iggy somewhere among McCaw, Boucher, Bell and Looney, they'll be well-served.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
Someone mentioned the Warriors having regressed. To me, they haven't regressed as a team, but instead have merely experienced late season injuries to the main guys in the way and to the extent that many teams often experience. The Magic Johnson Showtime Lakers come to mind in the same manner but have a strong decade's run in them. If the Warriors manage to find a replacement for the aging but excellent Iggy somewhere among McCaw, Boucher, Bell and Looney, they'll be well-served.

yea, but when the injuries become predictable and expected, particularly for the playoffs, then ...
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject:

GSW don't deserve to be called the greatest team of all time until they win at least back to back titles. As good as Tim Duncan and the Spurs were, they couldn't win two straight, neither did the Heat.

Lakers won three straight against a stacked West Conference where our point guard and power forward were outmatched in almost every series, and we still whooped ass!
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject:

warriors still losing currently despite paul being out...
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject:

warriors still losing currently despite paul being out...
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Somehow they transformed into an ISO'centric team..Durant is killing them. What used to make them so great was their system
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject:

We gonna have to start to worry about Rockets. They can win the ship and people will still count them out next year
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:

Championship hangover is real....its hard to stay motivated in the offseason when you've gotten the fruits of victory. This is why repeating and 3-peating is rare.
RhodyRay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Wino wrote:
activeverb wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:

You can certainly make a case that last year's Warriors was the best single-season team of all time. (Along with some of the Bulls, Lakers, and Celtics teams.) I wouldn't say they're the best team over a span of years. I'd say that honor probably goes to the Bulls

I hate the Celtics but I think their 8 straight championships in the 60s has everyone beat.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject:

RhodyRay wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Wino wrote:
activeverb wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:

I hate the Celtics but I think their 8 straight championships in the 60s has everyone beat.

I understand that position, but I don't agree with it. The Celtics had one year where they won a ring while never facing a plus .500 team in the playoffs. Very different time with very different levels of competition.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject:

GSW totally schooled Houston tonight in many ways. No matter who wins Game 7, it will be tough for us to break through and reach the championship series for a few years, even if we get Lebron and PG and sign a couple vet role players. GSW and Houston ain't going anywhere for a while.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
GSW totally schooled Houston tonight in many ways. No matter who wins Game 7, it will be tough for us to break through and reach the championship series for a few years, even if we get Lebron and PG and sign a couple vet role players. GSW and Houston ain't going anywhere for a while.

if lbj and pg13 come, i like lakers chances.
roster looks better than houston
u could probably count on warriors with 1 major injury - most likely curry

lbj vs tucker vs. iggy
pg13 vs harden vs thompson
ball vs. paul vs curry (dinged)
bi vs ariza vs kd
jr vs capela vs green
kuz vs gordon vs livingston
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:

True but I think they aren't as head and shoulders above say a team with our improving youngsters and a Lebron/PG13 duo. I don't think it's inconceivable that we're close to a .500 team next season without Lebron/PG13. Toss both on a .500 team? Contender. Easily. Neither team comes even close to the speed we can unleash. Running of the bulls.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject:

^ cal1piggy and jonnybravo I like your optimism, but other than Lebron/PG13 we'll have a bunch of guys in their early 20s playing in the playoffs for the first time, going up against GSW and Houston's grizzled vets. I wonder if Ball, Ingram, Randle and Kuzma will be ready to handle the little things that those teams will throw at them. We'll be contenders no doubt, but favorites? Not sure about that.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
^ cal1piggy and jonnybravo I like your optimism, but other than Lebron/PG13 we'll have a bunch of guys in their early 20s playing in the playoffs for the first time, going up against GSW and Houston's grizzled vets. I wonder if Ball, Ingram, Randle and Kuzma will be ready to handle the little things that those teams will throw at them. We'll be contenders no doubt, but favorites? Not sure about that.

houston has paul and harden - 2 stars.
other than that capela is a nice player.
ariza and gordon are nice players.
if we have lbj and pg13, that is 2 stars.
jr has proven to be a reliable performer more reliable than ariza, gordon and capela.
then you have kuz who is a reliable shooter and bi and ball who both have higher ceilings and lower floors than ariza and gordon.
lakers with lbj and pg13 is every bit as good as houston, and cp3 gets injured far too often as the 2nd star.

warriors have a higher ceiling than the lakers and a higher floor.
however their injury record for curry and kd is not good.
i would expect at least 1 of their 4 stars to be injured in next year's playoffs.
warriors with 3 stars vs. lakers with lbj and pg13 is pretty darn close.
our young core has a much higher ceiling and also a higher floor than warriors outside of their top 4 stars.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:17 am    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
slavavov wrote:

jr has proven to be a reliable performer more reliable than ariza, gordon and capela.
then you have kuz who is a reliable shooter and bi and ball who both have higher ceilings and lower floors than ariza and gordon.
lakers with lbj and pg13 is every bit as good as houston, and cp3 gets injured far too often as the 2nd star.

i would expect at least 1 of their 4 stars to be injured in next year's playoffs.
our young core has a much higher ceiling and also a higher floor than warriors outside of their top 4 stars.

Good analysis, but i don't think we can assume one of GSW's stars will be injured in next year's playoffs. If we get Lebron+PG13 I really hope Ball, Ingram, Randle and Kuzma play well in their first playoffs so that you end up being right.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:

True but Boston is a game away from the finals leaning on multiple rookies and 2nd year players. I truly feel the blinding speed we can unload with JR/Lebron/PG/Ball/Ingram is almost silly. I know there's a fixation on the pace and space systems of today but the multiple lineups we can roll out that are basketball facsimiles of unleashing the running of the bulls would be dizzying. Maybe I'm an optimist but I think we can unload on the league a level of speed that hasn't been seen in decades...and those lineups will kill because the league won't be prepared for it.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Good analysis, but i don't think we can assume one of GSW's stars will be injured in next year's playoffs. If we get Lebron+PG13 I really hope Ball, Ingram, Randle and Kuzma play well in their first playoffs so that you end up being right.

for vets like curry, past health is a good predictor of future health.
he was out 2 of the last 3 playoffs.
as he hits 30, it can get worse.

for young players like ball and bi, they could out grow it.
at least that is what we hope as they gain some muscle.

also, easier for lakers to stomach ball or bi being out as either could play the 1.
for lakers, that would mean losing 1 of the top 3-6
for warriors to lose curry, that is 1 of the top 1-2.

Last edited by cal1piggy on Sun May 27, 2018 7:50 am; edited 1 time in total
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject:

Looks like Boston in the east with Love out. With CP3 not playing GSW will win the west again.
I'm not pulling for either but if they both get in I hope the GSW sweep "dat Boston ass!"
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
slavavov wrote:

True but I think they aren't as head and shoulders above say a team with our improving youngsters and a Lebron/PG13 duo. I don't think it's inconceivable that we're close to a .500 team next season without Lebron/PG13. Toss both on a .500 team? Contender. Easily. Neither team comes even close to the speed we can unleash. Running of the bulls.

I think head and shoulders above for a couple of years and if Lebron continue to decline, it would make it tougher to catch up. Once our youngsters hit 24-25, we would be ready to make a move if they develop as we hope they will.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
slavavov wrote:

True but Boston is a game away from the finals leaning on multiple rookies and 2nd year players. I truly feel the blinding speed we can unload with JR/Lebron/PG/Ball/Ingram is almost silly. I know there's a fixation on the pace and space systems of today but the multiple lineups we can roll out that are basketball facsimiles of unleashing the running of the bulls would be dizzying. Maybe I'm an optimist but I think we can unload on the league a level of speed that hasn't been seen in decades...and those lineups will kill because the league won't be prepared for it.

i think people are forgetting that jr and kuz are reasonable 3rd and 4th options in a championship team.
jr is plenty developed.
he does have trouble with longer larger players who are fast, but there are no many that can match up with him.
kuz's defense can improve greatly but his offense is pretty dependable.
this leaves ball and bi as the 5th and 6th options in a championship team, both with multiple injury stints last year that may be short circuited their progress.
that is totally reasonable.
and if bi and ball take the next step, look out.

Last edited by cal1piggy on Sun May 27, 2018 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:
GSW don't deserve to be called the greatest team of all time until they win at least back to back titles. As good as Tim Duncan and the Spurs were, they couldn't win two straight, neither did the Heat.

Lakers won three straight against a stacked West Conference where our point guard and power forward were outmatched in almost every series, and we still whooped ass!

I thought they won back to back titles in 2012 and 2013
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
slavavov wrote:
True but I think they aren't as head and shoulders above say a team with our improving youngsters and a Lebron/PG13 duo. I don't think it's inconceivable that we're close to a .500 team next season without Lebron/PG13. Toss both on a .500 team? Contender. Easily. Neither team comes even close to the speed we can unleash. Running of the Bulls.
I think head and shoulders above for a couple of years and if Lebron continue to decline, it would make it tougher to catch up. Once our youngsters hit 24-25, we would be ready to make a move if they develop as we hope they will.
Noting that Lebron played FORTY-EIGHT minutes at a very high level, one might be included that Lebron will stay in Cleveland with players that he wanted management to keep at very high salaries.

PG13 is not a 1A options, he is a 1B option - given his performance last year

As Boston has shown, one can be very successful with very young players if they buy into the HC philosophy. JR, Kuz, BI, Ball, Zubac, Hart, It and Bryant is a good foundation to build from.

With many predicting that this off-season will be very active in stars changing teams because of past failures with teams such as Raptors, Trailblazers, Cavs, Wizards, Bucks and others - who knows what players will be available

Lakers, with a few moves, can be a team that goes deep into the playoffs
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: