Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

I have said it many times before. Responsible gun owners are fine with going through training and regular recertification. The problem is that that certification doesn't apply to the household. If the accountability of having a gun In your name extends to everything that happens with that gun then things will change. Suddenly I'm a good guy with a gun but.my son took it and shot up a school but it's not my fault doesn't play. Sorry buddy but you're going down because you can't control what you own. You provided a weapon to a murderer and you are an accessory.

I like this a lot.

I could get behind this.

Admidetly I am not a gun owner and probably never will be.

But with great power comes great responsibility.

Bye.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:

Quote:
I have said it many times before. Responsible gun owners are fine with going through training and regular recertification. The problem is that that certification doesn't apply to the household. If the accountability of having a gun In your name extends to everything that happens with that gun then things will change. Suddenly I'm a good guy with a gun but.my son took it and shot up a school but it's not my fault doesn't play. Sorry buddy but you're going down because you can't control what you own. You provided a weapon to a murderer and you are an accessory.

This is a solution that makes sense.

It might be problematic for those who want to own for reasons other than the right, sport shooting, home protection, etc. I can hear the uproar from the Obama is coming to take your guns crowd.

I don't like some reasons given to own a weapon made for war but respect the rights of those who own them. If you want to own one take the responsibility that comes with that ownership.

I have a 357 python with a 6 inch barrel for home protection. I used to use armor piercing shells which I changed to a magnum load to now a 38 load. 24 gave me reason to do that for neighbor safety. Changing the load didn't infringe on my right to own nor the rights of my neighbors safety. It's taking responsibility.

Daytime I keep it in a lock box. Night in my nightstand.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject:

Let's end the school year with a bang...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/25/us/indiana-school-shots-fired/index.html

Quote:
At least three people were injured after a shooting Friday at a middle school in Noblesville, Indiana, officials said.
A suspect was in custody after what Indiana State Police earlier had called an active shooter incident at Noblesville West Middle School.

I'm guessing the school had too may accessible entry points and was thus susceptible to such an attack. We must start banning doors and Ritalin.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:

Quote:
At least three people were injured after a shooting Friday at a middle school in Noblesville, Indiana, officials said.
A suspect was in custody after what Indiana State Police earlier had called an active shooter incident at Noblesville West Middle School.

I'm guessing the school had too may accessible entry points and was thus susceptible to such an attack. We must start banning doors and Ritalin.

Pains me to say it looks like we're headed to lock down like school settings. Chains on doors, limited entrances and exits. etc.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Sun May 27, 2018 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject:

According to the NRA's wiki page, their annual budget for political contributions is about $20 million (2014 Political Victory Fund).
Is that the price to buy enough political influence to continue this carnage?
Is that the price paid to enable the worst of us to slaughter children?
Please tell me I am wrong, or that the figures are way off, at least.
$20 million?
That's it?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:

Quote:

Don't be stupid. This happened because there are schools. If we get rid of schools, we can eliminate 100% of school shootings.
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
According to the NRA's wiki page, their annual budget for political contributions is about $20 million (2014 Political Victory Fund).
$20 million?
That's it?

Those figures are really low. They basically used $30M for Trump alone in 2016.

Quote:
In the 2016 election, the NRA spent $11,438,118 to support Donald Trump’s campaign and donated $19,756,346 to groups opposing Hillary Clinton’s.

https://www.ajc.com/news/national/senators-house-members-who-offered-condolences-after-shooting-called-out-for-donations-from-nra/tpitHXUY9jDH3pr4f7f7cM/
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject:

This article in the Huffington Post talks about the different causes of these school shootings, according to some famous or prominent members of the NRA.

Oliver North, their new president:

Quote:
"They have been drugged in many cases."

Quote:
“They have come through a culture where violence is commonplace. All you need to do is turn on the TV, go to a movie,” he said on Fox News Sunday. “If you look at what has happened to the young people, many of these young boys have been on Ritalin since they were in kindergarten.”

NRATV commentator Colion Noir:

Quote:
“When are we going to be completely honest and acknowledge the awkward, bullied, sexually frustrated, psychotropic drug-laced, suicidal, mass shooters in the room for what they are?” he said on a Sunday NRATV segment. “Or are we just going to keep acting like we don’t know what’s going on in the name of not confronting the miserable reality that they are a creation of our so-called progressive culture and media?”

Quote:
“We shield them in safe spaces and give them participation trophies incentivizing mediocrity, and tell our young boys that their masculinity is toxic and our young girls that being a woman means acting like a man, further confusing the hell out of kids who are naturally going to struggle with their identity as is,” said Noir.

NRATV host Grant Stinchfield:

Quote:
“I place some of the blame on the #MSM. They recruit new players to their dark real life mass shooting reality show,”

And if that wasn't enough, there's this nugget of wisdom from Ted Nugent:

Quote:
NRA board member Ted Nugent said Tuesday that kids’ unhealthy diets are making them want to shoot up their schools.

“Mark my words when the studies are finalized, you will find that Columbine, Virginia Tech, Aurora, certainly Sandy Hook, these maniac murderers in Parkland and now Santa Fe, if you really studied the slovenliness and the zombie-like conduct of these murderers, you go back to their diet and examine what they’ve put into their sacred temple, and it’s all garbage,”

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/nra-santa-fe-school-shooting_us_5b05c2eae4b07c4ea104731e
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject:

The whole world is crazy. Here the guns are a ridiculous joke, in Europe they are having a rash of stabbings among younger people to the point where London has a higher murder rate now than New York City.

Just seems like people are more disconnected from one another than ever before despite social media.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
The whole world is crazy. Here the guns are a ridiculous joke, in Europe they are having a rash of stabbings among younger people to the point where London has a higher murder rate now than New York City.

Just seems like people are more disconnected from one another than ever before despite social media.

Do you think social media is partially responsible for the "disconnect?" Exposure to violence goes viral instantly. Fragile minds are exposed.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon May 28, 2018 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

Because of. Human brains are not evolved nearly as much as we think they are, and our psyops technology, both deliberate and accidental, is too much for our limbic systems.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Because of. Human brains are not evolved nearly as much as we think they are, and our psyops technology, both deliberate and accidental, is too much for our limbic systems.

Agreed. I think social media is just accelerating the detachment people are having with one another. If you don't have empathy towards a fellow human being, things can go off the rails fast. Add in the doomsday arsenal that exists in American and here we are.
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
The kid reportedly wore a trench coat and army boots to school routinely...and even sprinkled in some on the nose t-shirts with "born to kill" graphics....feel like we have seen this before.....seems a little similar to exactly where we started in 1999. There were signs this time.....there have been even bigger signs in the past. The kid used a shotgun, revolver, and molotov cocktail's.....these are weapons Wyatt Earp had at his disposal in Tombstone, Arizona.

I do not know the perfect solution, but the only one that I can think of that will be impactful is going to be extremely expensive.....and that is to undertake a massive security/infrastructure plan to limit who, what, and when someone and something can enter school property. It will require going into every middle and high school in America and building new infrastructure and security measures to ensure it is as difficult to get a weapon on property as it is an airplane.

Honestly cannot even imagine the cost....but everything else seems like political posturing to me. We wanted to stop terrorists from getting weapons on planes and overtaking planes to use them as weapons, and we seem to get that one under control pretty fast. I went to public schools in the North where campuses are more enclosed and confined to large limited structures....and I imagine those may be a little easier to secure....but in the schools I attended in the South, and I assume out West, most of the schools are open and campuses include many structures connected by external walkways....and I would think those will be more difficult to secure....but it can be done.

When I think about how easy it would be for me or anyone with bad intentions to enter Campus and buildings unimpeded carrying whatever I chose at my daughters high school....which is less than 6 years old.....it is kind of shocking. There are so called deterrents (visitor check in, etc.)....but most of them you actually have to choose to properly enter to be hindered by them.

Finally, I understand some hate guns, and feel like they are fully to blame, etc. Whatever your thoughts are in that area, the reality is shotguns and revolvers are never going anywhere during our lifetimes...full stop, there may be legislation that limits a little here and there....but hoping that guns are out of the picture is like hoping to win the battle against STD's with abstinence or battling the drug problem by just eliminating all of the illegal drugs. We have the most success with STD's with knowledge & protection....and likewise, only more security for our schools will have a real and immediate impact.

Mass shootings happen elsewhere aside from inside schools. Spending all that money to retrofit schools (1) makes what was once a place of learning, more like a prison and (2) it doesn't prevent mass shooting, just mass shooting inside schools. It's expensive and tries to attack the symptom, not the problem. Anyone who seriously wants to address mass shooting will be opened to everything on the table, including talking about the 2nd amendment. Picking and choosing what to talk about is just being disingenuous about actually caring.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Agreed. I think social media is just accelerating the detachment people are having with one another. If you don't have empathy towards a fellow human being, things can go off the rails fast. Add in the doomsday arsenal that exists in American and here we are.

Worth pointing out that NYC has one of the lowest murder rates for a major city, and murder levels are at 40 year lows there, but most Americans wouldn’t know that, and it therefore sounds ominous, so comparing London to NYC is a form of propaganda known as using a truth to tell a larger lie.

Of course, even at that the murder rate is only slightly higher over the last two months, and not over the last year, so even that is based on cherry picked sample size.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject:

For those interested, nyc had 18, 11, and 21 murders (50 total)for January through March of this year, while London had 8, 15, and 22 (total of 45). The cities are of roughly equal size. So London has not had a higher murder rate this year. It had a couple outlier months that might indicate they are climbing, but also may not, as with many things, murders don’t happen in an orderly fashion. But social media is great for picking up a factoid, turning it into a narrative, and spreading it like wildfire, to be used casually, and dishonestly, against the idea of gun control. And if I didn’t do the research, virtually everyone reading the post would have consumed it whole.

Truth be told, the only reason I looked was because of the history with the Chicago murder rates, 25th in the nation among cities, being sold as way above and beyond. For the record, NYC has a murder rate of about 3.4 per 100k, roughly 1/5 of Chicago.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
$20 million?
That's it?

Here’s the other thing I wondered. What exactly do people think they are buying?

In other words, if they didn’t contribute, would GOP be anti-gun? I doubt it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6
Jump to: