This week's school shooting
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: This week's school shooting

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/25/us/indiana-school-shooting-teacher/index.html
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: This week's school shooting

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:

At least the teacher prevented this one from turning out like the others. The teacher got it done by simply tackling the assailant.

This is real life evidence that we don't need to arm teachers in order for them to prevent a school shooting.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: This week's school shooting

slavavov wrote:

At least the teacher prevented this one from turning out like the others. The teacher got it done by simply tackling the assailant.

This is real life evidence that we don't need to arm teachers in order for them to prevent a school shooting.

How was a school shooting prevented here?

I don’t see why having armed teachers, at least, those who are qualified and wish to be armed, would be a bad thing here.
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: This week's school shooting

ringfinger wrote:
slavavov wrote:

I don’t see why having armed teachers, at least, those who are qualified and wish to be armed, would be a bad thing here.

I think the answer isnt to add more guns into the mix. The better solution is to find a way to limit the access of guns to people who should not have guns. The trouble is defining who those individuals are and what kind of security controls are necessary to accomplish that. I know, easier said than done. But arming teachers will make the below incidents happen more often. I think this whole country is backwards when it comes to guns. Our children aka our nation's future is at stake here. Schools, a sacred place, a place that should be safe for children, has become common place for shootings and murder, but no one wants to tackle the issue the way it should be.

We just have wayyyy too many guns out there as a result of historical ineffective gun laws. Gun control needs to improve exponentially. Little changes to background checks isn't going to cut it. Certain guns need to be banned altogether. We just have a (bleep) up culture when it comes to firearms so i dont think anything will happen. This is a multipronged issue that involves aspects that aren't even gun related. And I don't have the confidence in our country to go above and beyond to solve this issue. In the end, we will reap what we sow.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/03/14/593531945/gun-trained-teacher-accidentally-shoots-gun-in-calif-high-school-classroom

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/28/us/georgia-dalton-high-school-teacher-gunfire/index.html

https://www.vox.com/2018/4/12/17229486/stoneman-douglas-parkland-teacher-arrested-gun
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject:

johnson83 wrote:
I am very sorry about the incident. It happens so many times every year.

Don't be sorry or sad.. Be Enthused to speak more with people who seem to be outcasts or loners.

Quote:
But denunciatory rhetoric is so much easier and cheaper than good works, and proves a popular temptation. Yet is it far better to light the candle than to curse the darkness.

Enthusiasm is a word derived from the Greek word Entheos, which means “the God within”.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject:

And obviously Guns are an issue because of their ability to kill

Words killed most of these shooters before they chose to kill

They chose a device that helped them express their desire to kill

I see human psychology being far more the effect here than a Gun.

Why are schools allowing people to bully EVER?

Children are bullied into SUICIDE in American Schools.. Prisons children are FORCED to be in everyday...

Explain again why the possibly wealthiest nation in history cannot provide for the children? We are willing to incarcerate a person for voting twice or for having an abortion but don't stop bullying?

Schools need to build better citizens or this nation is (bleep) doomed.. we already have GEOTUS.. I believe it can get worse unless we protect and grow stronger children.

I remember a powerful quote from a silly cartoon Animal Farm
The big guard dog told his son
"A strong man stands up for himself.
A Stronger man stands up for others."

These shooters are children allowed to grow into Monsters under our adult care..
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
And obviously Guns are an issue because of their ability to kill

Words killed most of these shooters before they chose to kill

They chose a device that helped them express their desire to kill

I see human psychology being far more the effect here than a Gun.

Why are schools allowing people to bully EVER?

Children are bullied into SUICIDE in American Schools.. Prisons children are FORCED to be in everyday...

Explain again why the possibly wealthiest nation in history cannot provide for the children? We are willing to incarcerate a person for voting twice or for having an abortion but don't stop bullying?

Schools need to build better citizens or this nation is (bleep) doomed.. we already have GEOTUS.. I believe it can get worse unless we protect and grow stronger children.

I remember a powerful quote from a silly cartoon Animal Farm
The big guard dog told his son
"A strong man stands up for himself.
A Stronger man stands up for others."

These shooters are children allowed to grow into Monsters under our adult care..

Gun advocates think banning gun in America is on the magnitude of impossible considering how many there are now. You know what's even more impossible? Banning bullying and making everyone get along. On its face value, banning bullying will make us all feel good but it's ignoring human behavior. You can't make people like each other. As long as we have varying opinions, personalities, and individualism, we will naturally flock to our own kind, thus creating outcasts. Telling a kid they can't make fun of another kid isn't going to make the other kid feel inclusive.

So when it comes to which is more probable, banning guns or instituting forced social reform, I'm going to say the latter is MUCH more difficult than the former.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject:

I know people think it is hard

Evolution is filled with Mass Burials of dead humans slaughtered by "the fittest"

Let everyone make fun of people in their own heads. Teach them about actions/karma.. Karma only means action.. teach them not to act on these things and have people they can talk to etc.

Donald Trump was a child once.
Hitler
McConnell
Paul Ryan
The Mercers etc

Just like a garden or a plant.. if you don't help it grow strong in the beginning of its life it may become a weed

Actions last a lifetime...
Quote:
As the group openly discussed the memories, wounds and scars that bullying can have on both victim and perpetrator, they pondered the reasons it happened at all.

Was it was because the sisters were shy?

Was it because some kids thought they were of Native American descent? (They’re Bohemian.)

Was it because they didn’t fight back?

It remains a mystery, Kathleen said, but what is clear is that however petty or fleeting the excuse, the pain of being shunned by an entire student body goes deep and stays there “forever.”

“It was terrible, just terrible,” said Lorraine, through tears. “Somehow the whole entire school got against us. Not just one, not just two. The whole entire school. Not one person talked to us. Not one person wanted to get near us. It was like we had the plague or something.”

No one ate lunch with them, made plans with them or sat next to them on the bus.

They didn’t go to dances or join clubs or participate in sports.

“We couldn’t,” Lorraine said. “Nobody wanted us. If we walked down the hall, all the kids would huddle on the other side and let us walk by ourselves.”

“They called us Risk instead of Rys,” Kathleen said. “We were the untouchables.”

The beat down continued as the students moved onto Crete-Monee High School.

“When we climbed the stairs to go to our other classes, if someone bumped into us, they’d run to the washroom to wash their hands,” Lorraine recalled.

Kathleen still has her yearbook that doesn’t contain a single signature.

“We only had each other,” Kathleen said.

And after Kathleen graduated, Lorraine only had God.

The women say none of the faculty or staff ever intervened on their behalf and that they didn’t share their plight with their mother or father because “we weren’t close with our parents.

“We just kept it to ourselves,” Lorraine said.

But they did pray, even though the shunning carried over into church and religious education classes. “We prayed to God because we knew at least he loved us,” Lorraine said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/daily-southtown/news/ct-sta-vickroy-bully-forgiveness-st-0430-story.html
http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/daily-southtown/news/ct-sta-vickroy-bully-forgiveness-folo-st-0521-story.html
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: This week's school shooting

ringfinger wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Because the other 99.99999999% of the time the teacher's firearm would be a liability and could potentially lead to a death of a student. In fact there's a far higher possibility that that would be the case over a teacher saving the school from a gunmen.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: This week's school shooting

LakersChamps04 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
slavavov wrote:

I think the answer isnt to add more guns into the mix. The better solution is to find a way to limit the access of guns to people who should not have guns. The trouble is defining who those individuals are and what kind of security controls are necessary to accomplish that. I know, easier said than done. But arming teachers will make the below incidents happen more often. I think this whole country is backwards when it comes to guns. Our children aka our nation's future is at stake here. Schools, a sacred place, a place that should be safe for children, has become common place for shootings and murder, but no one wants to tackle the issue the way it should be.

We just have wayyyy too many guns out there as a result of historical ineffective gun laws. Gun control needs to improve exponentially. Little changes to background checks isn't going to cut it. Certain guns need to be banned altogether. We just have a (bleep) up culture when it comes to firearms so i dont think anything will happen. This is a multipronged issue that involves aspects that aren't even gun related. And I don't have the confidence in our country to go above and beyond to solve this issue. In the end, we will reap what we sow.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/03/14/593531945/gun-trained-teacher-accidentally-shoots-gun-in-calif-high-school-classroom

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/28/us/georgia-dalton-high-school-teacher-gunfire/index.html

https://www.vox.com/2018/4/12/17229486/stoneman-douglas-parkland-teacher-arrested-gun

Why not remove all armed guards, everywhere, since that is clearly not working? Then we can focus on limiting access for the bad guys.

How can we justify armed guards anywhere, with this logic? We can't, right?
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: This week's school shooting

ringfinger wrote:
slavavov wrote:

What do you mean by 'qualified'?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: This week's school shooting

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Courage under fire.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: This week's school shooting

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Does it matter? Apparently, it doesn't matter how qualified they are if we don't need it.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: This week's school shooting

ringfinger wrote:
LakersChamps04 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Why not remove all armed guards, everywhere, since that is clearly not working? Then we can focus on limiting access for the bad guys.

Could you do me a favor and try to be a bit more disingenuous once in a while?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: This week's school shooting

Omar Little wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LakersChamps04 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
slavavov wrote:

LOL. Not nearly as disingenuous as the thought that we need armed guards at airports but definitely NOT at schools.

Because clearly there isn't a problem to address or anything.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: This week's school shooting

ringfinger wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LakersChamps04 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
slavavov wrote:

LOL. Not nearly as disingenuous as the thought that we need armed guards at airports but definitely NOT at schools.

Approximately 30,000 high schools
so, say the shooting happens in a classroom where the teacher refuses to carry a gun.
do you put armed guards inside every room if teachers aren't willing to carry a gun

I think arming the schools shows children once again WE DONT GIVE A (bleep) ABOUT THEIR FEELINGS..

I would just like to ask once again

Why are children being bullied and growing into Monsters?
Is it really this hard to treat children equally?

Also.. are you going to force teachers to carry guns because our society is so out of control?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: This week's school shooting

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Approximately 30,000 high schools
so, say the shooting happens in a classroom where the teacher refuses to carry a gun.
do you put armed guards inside every room if teachers aren't willing to carry a gun

I think arming the schools shows children once again WE DONT GIVE A (bleep) ABOUT THEIR FEELINGS..

I would just like to ask once again

Why are children being bullied and growing into Monsters?
Is it really this hard to treat children equally?

Also.. are you going to force teachers to carry guns because our society is so out of control?

I agree with you. The problem isn't going to be solved by arming teachers alone and this is one I'm sure we can all agree needs to be attacked on multiple fronts including, as you mentioned, figuring out how we're turning our children into monsters.

I just think the concept of arming teachers or having some sort of "air marshall" for schools in some capacity should be, at minimum, on the table for discussion.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: This week's school shooting

ringfinger wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LakersChamps04 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Right, we are going to arm the Starbucks barista and the duty free store clerk, right? Because that’s the analogy. And fwiw, the reason we have such a security presence in airports is because of the proportional danger that can be done with an aircraft. We don’t arm all the employees in malls, even though they have a ton of potential victims. Why not? What makes them more secure than schools? I don’t have a problem with an armed cop or security person, but it is ludicrous to describe arming teachers as the same as securing airports, and you know it. So I was asking you not to soft troll the issue.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: This week's school shooting

Omar Little wrote:
Right, we are going to arm the Starbucks barista and the duty free store clerk, right? Because that’s the analogy. And fwiw, the reason we have such a security presence in airports is because of the proportional danger that can be done with an aircraft. We don’t arm all the employees in malls, even though they have a ton of potential victims. Why not? What makes them more secure than schools? I don’t have a problem with an armed cop or security person, but it is ludicrous to describe arming teachers as the same as securing airports, and you know it. So I was asking you not to soft troll the issue.

The reason we have armed personnel anywhere, is because there is an increase in the potential for danger. Airports, banks, government buildings, etc. A few years ago, I would have agreed, we don't need armed personnel in schools. Now, based on what has been happening on such a regular basis, I think it is time to discuss that given we're now at epidemic levels.

As far as arming teachers goes, I think there are a number of ways you can approach that. One would involve requiring every teacher to carry, but I don't think that would be realistic. I mean, who really wants to arm Ms. Buttercup the 2nd grade grandma and teacher. The other, might be something more like encouraging teachers that wish to do so, to get trained and ready to protect the kids when it is necessary. And you could do it air marshall style so that no one would really know which teachers are armed and which aren't. Or you could say, every school has to have X teachers or X people on campus that are armed.

I don't really care if the people who are armed is an air marshall style guard, or a teacher, I just don't see why we wouldn't consider putting something like that on the table at this point.

As I said in a previous post, I think we need a multi-prong approach to this. A short term solution (arming schools in some fashion), a medium term solution (greater access restriction), and a long term solution (eliminating the desire to do harm to kids).
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject:

I don't like the idea of turning learning institutions into armed fortresses. IMO it would impede the ability to concentrate on learning.

How Much Would It Cost to Put Guards with Guns in Every Public School?

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject:

Staggering that some people don’t see the difference between airports and government buildings etc versus places of learning for our children . . . Oh wait, they DO know the difference, but they are more interested in engaging in their usual games of intellectually dishonest trolling.

Why people engage such people, thereby encouraging them, is beyond me.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I don't like the idea of turning learning institutions into armed fortresses. IMO it would impede the ability to concentrate on learning.

How Much Would It Cost to Put Guards with Guns in Every Public School?

LINK

Why does it have to be armed fortresses or nothing at all?

Why couldn’t we look at all the shades of gray and discuss them?

Why couldn’t it at least be put on the table for discussion, in all of its variations? Doesn’t even have to be teachers, could be guards or something else like Omar said.

I just don’t get why it is not even worth discussing to better arm schools in some fashion until we can figure out how to prevent it from happening at all.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject:

High schools have had security guards patrolling their campuses for a while, and more and more of them have been switching to actual police officers on campus. How is that not enough?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
High schools have had security guards patrolling their campuses for a while, and more and more of them have been switching to actual police officers on campus. How is that not enough?

IMO the sight of armed uniformed officers is disarming to students. If you're going to have gun toting individuals on campuses why not disguise them as, say, hall monitors dressed as civilians?

slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
slavavov wrote:

IMO the sight of armed uniformed officers is disarming to students. If you're going to have gun toting individuals on campuses why not disguise them as, say, hall monitors dressed as civilians?

The downside of having cops on campus, even if they're "disguised" is that schools are treating behavioral problems as legal issues instead of discipline issues. There is a school to prison pipeline, and it does plenty of damage to kids in many ways. If a kid is misbehaving but not being violent in any way, they'll call the cop to come in the classroom and either arrest the student or physically harm him. Some of these kids end up with criminal records for minor stuff, and it can prevent them from getting into college, getting a job, starting a business, renting an apartment, etc.

This article does a good job of outlining the effects of having cops on campus:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2018/02/22/putting-more-cops-in-schools-wont-make-schools-safer-and-it-will-likely-inflict-a-lot-of-harm/
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: