Women's College World Series....am I the only one?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Women's College World Series....am I the only one?

For some reason this time of year, I become very interested in watching the Women's College World Series. I do not watch a single game all year, never dated a softball player when younger, nor did my daughter have any interest in it as a child/teen......but for some reason, I love watching these games. I do not have a "team", nor do I usually care who wins.....but they are extremely entertaining. I am not even a serious baseball fan.

The games move fast....the ladies have fun from the first pitch to the last....and there are not all of these unwritten rules/code as in baseball. When a batter hits a homerun, her and her team celebrate like crazy and the pitcher does not get their feelings hurt. The hairstyles are the best....you have the standard pony tail, the segmented pony tail, the braid, the segmented braid.....and then for serious ballers, the dual braid.

What is not to love about this sport? Anyone else tune in this time of year?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Yes, I enjoy the WCWS. I don’t watch a lot of it, but it’s fun and produces some crazy plays.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject:

If UCLA is in it (which is often), I might have some interest in watching a game involving them.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
If UCLA is in it (which is often), I might have some interest in watching a game involving them.

they are in it....still undefeated I think. They play tomorrow. FWIW, they should have lost last night....umpire made a bad call @ home plate which should have been their 3rd out....next batter up goes yard for a 3 run homer and the lead. Their pitcher (Garcia) is great...then they have the 2 Perez sisters....yeah, I watch too much of this stuff.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

they are in it....still undefeated I think. They play tomorrow. FWIW, they should have lost last night....umpire made a bad call @ home plate which should have been their 3rd out....next batter up goes yard for a 3 run homer and the lead. Their pitcher (Garcia) is great...then they have the 2 Perez sisters....yeah, I watch too much of this stuff.

Garcia pitches every game, right? Is that common for most teams?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Garcia pitches every game, right? Is that common for most teams?

yeah, most teams (from what I have seen) only have 2 starting pitchers....usually their ace and a backup. Throwing underhanded allows these ladies to throw well over 100 pitches in a game, and do it on 0 days rest. I have seen a couple teams that will utilize both starting pitchers more often, but at this point, it seems most teams roll with their "ace" in every game possible.

I think its crazy that a starting pitcher can be taken out of a game.....the other pitcher will come in for relief....then later the starting pitcher can take the mound again! (but the relief pitcher cannot re enter the game to pitch)

The best pitchers I have seen this year is UCLA's Garcia and Oklahoma's Paige Parker. Garcia throws more heat and gets more strikeouts.....but Parker allows very few to reach base. The best team in my opinion has been Washington.

Tomorrow is the semi-finals....Washington vs. Oklahoma (Oklahoma must win twice) & UCLA vs. Florida State (FSU must win twice)....so the odds are it would be Washington vs. UCLA in Finals.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject:

I saw this young lady pinch run tonight for FSU.....tell me she is not stunning?

Korina Rosario - 1
Korina Rosario - 2
Korina Rosario - 3
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject:

I love softball, I played fast pitch for 10 years after high school and watch a couple of high school games a week during the season. Buena high school, where my kids graduated, has a top notch program. They went undefeated in Division 4 last season and made the championship in Division 2 this season. When the college tournament is on I try to watch as much as I can.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I love softball, I played fast pitch for 10 years after high school and watch a couple of high school games a week during the season. Buena high school, where my kids graduated, has a top notch program. They went undefeated in Division 4 last season and made the championship in Division 2 this season. When the college tournament is on I try to watch as much as I can.

I have also played a lot of softball....but it's slow pitch corporate league. We are always like Class C.....and it only goes A (the best), B and C. Mostly accounting, law, and engineering firms in Class C. One season we were feeling ourselves and registered for Class B, and we got rolled almost every game.....dude's out there turning double plays and stuff while we felt good to just get a clean throw from SS/3rd to 1st.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject:

OMG, the umpiring. What an abomination.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject:

I watch when UCLA is in it, and like CS said, that happens often.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Washington wins and is in the Finals.....but FSU beats UCLA 3-1 to force a game 2 which I think starts @ 9:30 ET. Garcia had shut down FSU all game and in the bottom of the 6th with 2 outs, the young lady in the 9 slot goes yard for a 3 run homer...

Will Garcia go again tonight?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Washington wins and is in the Finals.....but FSU beats UCLA 3-1 to force a game 2 which I think starts @ 9:30 ET. Garcia had shut down FSU all game and in the bottom of the 6th with 2 outs, the young lady in the 9 slot goes yard for a 3 run homer...

Will Garcia go again tonight?

I was watching, and yes, I would guess she's going to go again in the winner-take-all game. If there was a game she wasn't going to pitch, it would've been the first game.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject:

have to admit....did not think FSU could beat UCLA 2x today. The WCWS Final, best of 3 series, begins tomorrow night....FSU vs. Washington.

Washington may be my least favorite team to watch....and at the same time I think they have clearly been the best team the last two weeks....even going back to regionals. They far and away have the best field defense, and they strategically manufacture runs which sometimes results in a less exciting game. It will come down to FSU's potent speed and power offense vs. Washington's lock down defense.

If I was betting, my money would have to go on Washington to win a couple low scoring games....

***for the UCLA fans....Garcia and my favorite Bubba Nickles are only Sophomores, and they are loaded with talent returning for next season. My guess is the odds are somewhere near 95% they will have a #1 Seed and host a regional again next season....then likely be one of the final 2-4 teams again.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject:

yes
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject:

it was a rock fight.....FSU takes Game 1 with a score of 1-0. A solo HR that barely cleared the wall in the 6th Inning was the only score of the game. Starting to feel like destiny is on FSU's side as they have overcame 6 elimination games this postseason often with late game heroics.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Congrats to FSU. That's a remarkable run.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

yeah, the Cardiac Kids pulled it off....probably watch my next softball game in about 11 months.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

yeah, the Cardiac Kids pulled it off....probably watch my next softball game in about 11 months.

If you get any of the conference networks, they run a good number of the regular season games. I occasionally watch some when I’m bored, but of course they just don’t have the same intensity. Also, the WCWS brings out my latent grandfatherly side. I know how much BS these girls have to go through being jocks, even in this day and age, and it makes me smile to see them getting their payoff by playing on ESPN.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: