GOODBYE LUOL DENG (Deng Bought Out & Stretched, p. 133)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 104, 105, 106 ... 155, 156, 157  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: What do you think the Lakers will do with Deng?

What do you think the Lakers will do with Deng? Not what you want to happen, but what you think will happen. Be honest.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Gets activated for the playoffs and helps Lakers get to the Finals.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject:

If the Lakers know there getting FAs, they will get rid of him in some fashion.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Im the one that voted Deng and Ingram, i kind of feel that is what will go down, but I hope that Im wrong.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Trade him for Lebron James
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Trade him for Lebron James

straight up!

a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject:

trade him and Ingram for Leonard. WHen FA hits its gunna be known LEbron wants to team up with him, Ball, and George to take down the Warriors.

any way we can get George, James, Leonard and resign Randle

because
Ball vs Curry
George vs Klay
Leonard vs Durant
James vs Iggy
Randle vs Green

thats fun basketball right there
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Keep him through summer 2019 and trade him then to free up cap for Kawhi.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:26 am    Post subject:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the Lakers can’t sign two max dudes (for 65 mill) and stretch Deng (while holding on to Randle’s caphold).

If James is coming (with George of course), the Lakers WON’T stretch Deng.

The only way I can see them stretching Deng is if James and George eat the amount of Deng’s stretch salary which is, I believe, 7 million dollars.

From a mere philosophical standpoint, I don’t think either James or George, ideally at least, want to leave money on the table, so stretching won’t be a viable option, IMO.

If James and George have agreed to sign, Deng won’t be traded with Ingram, Deng won’t be stretched (unless guys take pay cuts), and he won’t be kept around in favor of letting Randle walk.

The ONLY option (again, other than James and George taking paycuts) is trading him for inconsequential picks (inconsequential because, depending on how you look at it, those picks are essentially the price for James & George or keeping Randle.

The real question: Are sacrificing two (maybe three) picks, the price of jettisoning Deng, worth keeping Randle and/or securing James and George without them having to take a haircut on their maxes?

I say yes, and anyone who says no, IMO, doesn’t understand the idea that “you have to give to get”.

In this case, the ends would definitely justify the means.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject:

I think he stays this season because I think it's likely the Lakers only sign 1 max FA this year (PG 13).

Deng with 1 year left on his contract is going to be a lot easier to get rid of.

I just don't see the Lakers dumping the assets they would need to add to get rid of Deng, it's just too much.

Of course as others have noted IF James and PG 13 both want to come on board and/or KL is also an option then they'll do what they have too to make sure that happens. I just don't think it's likely that scenario happens.....although I will say the warriors look very vulnerable to me, they almost got taken out by the rockets so I 100% believe if by some miracle the Lakers can bring Bron, PG 13, and KL together the warriors are toast next year.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject:

The question should be whether we believe we are going to have a super team this upcoming season. The odds are clearly against that happening. Assuming its not going to happen negates the need to stretch or trade him. If we decided to trade him, there is no way we are adding one of are core pups. We can offer picks and Zu or Bryant, but that is where it would stop.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject:

Just edit his stats in 2k and make him a 99
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject:

What club is desperate enough for that sized contract (Deng), duration and risk of low contribution ?

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:
What club is desperate enough for that sized contract (Deng), duration and risk of low contribution ?

Atlanta and Chicago both have the space and are both highly unlikely to use their space.

Also, it is widely considered good and prudent business practice in the NBA among front office circles to use empty capspace to acquire “useless” players (into space) for first round draft picks.

If you look at it being purely objective, it makes complete sense for Atlanta or Chicago to use their space to acquire a guy like Ryan Anderson or Luol Deng for two future first round picks.

Those future picks can be used in a variety of ways and “can” be quite valuable, even if they end up at the bottom of the draft.

This isn’t any Laker homerism. Atlanta or Chicago getting several first round picks in exchange for taking a bad contract for a “bad” player is very good business.

If James and George are definitely coming, I’m giving up upwards of three picks (two firsts and a second) and Zubac (if a team needs a center).

If Atlanta or Chicago plan on not using their space, they’d be stupid to pass up the flexibility of what acquiring those pieces could bring.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject:

av3773 wrote:
I think he stays this season because I think it's likely the Lakers only sign 1 max FA this year (PG 13).

Deng with 1 year left on his contract is going to be a lot easier to get rid of.

I just don't see the Lakers dumping the assets they would need to add to get rid of Deng, it's just too much.

Of course as others have noted IF James and PG 13 both want to come on board and/or KL is also an option then they'll do what they have too to make sure that happens. I just don't think it's likely that scenario happens.....although I will say the warriors look very vulnerable to me, they almost got taken out by the rockets so I 100% believe if by some miracle the Lakers can bring Bron, PG 13, and KL together the warriors are toast next year.

RI Laker wrote:
The question should be whether we believe we are going to have a super team this upcoming season. The odds are clearly against that happening. Assuming its not going to happen negates the need to stretch or trade him. If we decided to trade him, there is no way we are adding one of are core pups. We can offer picks and Zu or Bryant, but that is where it would stop.

Where do you all think James will sign?
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:

Atlanta and Chicago both have the space and are both highly unlikely to use their space.

Also, it is widely considered good and prudent business practice in the NBA among front office circles to use empty capspace to acquire “useless” players (into space) for first round draft picks.

If you look at it being purely objective, it makes complete sense for Atlanta or Chicago to use their space to acquire a guy like Ryan Anderson or Luol Deng for two future first round picks.

Those future picks can be used in a variety of ways and “can” be quite valuable, even if they end up at the bottom of the draft.

This isn’t any Laker homerism. Atlanta or Chicago getting several first round picks in exchange for taking a bad contract for a “bad” player is very good business.

If James and George are definitely coming, I’m giving up upwards of three picks (two firsts and a second) and Zubac (if a team needs a center).

If Atlanta or Chicago plan on not using their space, they’d be stupid to pass up the flexibility of what acquiring those pieces could bring.
I would give up two 1st, two 2nds, Zubac or Bryant and 5.2 million cash.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:

The Hawks have already signaled they are going to sell their cap space to the best offer of young players and picks, and the Bulls will too.

We'll potentially be competing for that cap space with the Rockets and maybe some unanticipated teams that want to dig into the free agent market. It will be interesting to see if what the price for cap space is in a tight market.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject:

This has been talked to death elsewhere, so I'll just summarize:

1. I think some people are delusional when they think that another team will take Deng's contract for a couple lousy draft picks. It isn't that other teams (such as Atlanta) would be unwilling to rent out their cap space. It's that they are going to demand a competitive price to do so. Deng is going to eat someone's cap space for two years, not just one year. If you think someone is going to do that for a couple late first round picks, you are kidding yourself.

2. The first question is what Lebron is going to do. If he entertains an offer from us, then he is going to demand that we make other moves. Signing Paul George probably would not be good enough. You may see a scenario in which Deng gets bundled with Ball, Ingram, and/or Kuzma to acquire another star, such as Kawhi Leonard. We would need Deng to make the salaries match. This is a scenario that frightens a lot of people, but that is a different subject. Magic and Pelinka might go this route.

3. If Lebron is not part of the picture, then the question becomes a lot simpler: Do we actually need the cap space enough to pay a high price to get rid of Deng's contract? In other words, what specific moves are we considering, and how would Deng's contract affect those moves? We could stretch him, or we could hold him until the trade deadline so that he would be an (almost) expiring contract. We could even hold him until next summer, when he really would be an expiring contact. It all depends on how much cap space we need and when we need it. You wouldn't pay a premium to get rid of him just to get rid of him.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
The Hawks have already signaled they are going to sell their cap space to the best offer of young players and picks, and the Bulls will too.

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
It isn't that other teams (such as Atlanta) would be unwilling to rent out their cap space. It's that they are going to demand a competitive price to do so.

Finally some reason and truth in here!
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

1. I think some people are delusional when they think that another team will take Deng's contract for a couple lousy draft picks. It isn't that other teams (such as Atlanta) would be unwilling to rent out their cap space. It's that they are going to demand a competitive price to do so. Deng is going to eat someone's cap space for two years, not just one year. If you think someone is going to do that for a couple late first round picks, you are kidding yourself.

2. The first question is what Lebron is going to do. If he entertains an offer from us, then he is going to demand that we make other moves. Signing Paul George probably would not be good enough. You may see a scenario in which Deng gets bundled with Ball, Ingram, and/or Kuzma to acquire another star, such as Kawhi Leonard. We would need Deng to make the salaries match. This is a scenario that frightens a lot of people, but that is a different subject. Magic and Pelinka might go this route.

3. If Lebron is not part of the picture, then the question becomes a lot simpler: Do we actually need the cap space enough to pay a high price to get rid of Deng's contract? In other words, what specific moves are we considering, and how would Deng's contract affect those moves? We could stretch him, or we could hold him until the trade deadline so that he would be an (almost) expiring contract. We could even hold him until next summer, when he really would be an expiring contact. It all depends on how much cap space we need and when we need it. You wouldn't pay a premium to get rid of him just to get rid of him.
I agree that dumping Deng for picks is unlikely. Possible, but unlikely. A lot of people are acting like it is a likely scenario, when in reality its not likely at all. Im not sure we could do the #2 option. I think we have to dump Deng first before we do anything and do the trade last, because the trade would likely put us over the cap. The free agents would have to be signed before the trade.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject:

I think 2 1st round and 2 2nd round picks get it done. A team like ATl of Chi will be bad for a while, even if the picks we give them will be in the high 20s, those picks can still help them trade up in future years where say they land pick #4 or 5 in the lotto and really like a guy at 2 or 3.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject:

I really hope it only takes 2 1st round picks + filler to get rid of Deng. I wouldn't be opposed to another approach to get rid of Deng. Unfortunately theres no players on the team left that I think is overrated that we can use to dump a bad contract.

If there's any player with artificially high value on the team, its Kuzma unfortunately and I really like him as a player. 1st team all rookie, ton of media hype and coverage, looks good on paper, etc.

It might take Kuzma + Deng for a 1st round pick (hopefully middle 1st round). This forum would be outraged with such as trade but it might be the way to go.

If you remember, half the forum was outrage with the DLO trade, but we turned out okay. It seriously became a meme. People said cap space was the best player on our team.

Last edited by chantruong on Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I agree that dumping Deng for picks is unlikely. Possible, but unlikely. A lot of people are acting like it is a likely scenario, when in reality its not likely at all. Im not sure we could do the #2 option. I think we have to dump Deng first before we do anything and do the trade last, because the trade would likely put us over the cap. The free agents would have to be signed before the trade.

Fans often fantacize that a bad contract can be gotten rid of with little pain, so they often propose trades which involve players no one will miss (Bryant, Zubac) or low draft picks that aren't valuable.

My feeling is if you look at a proposed trade, and you don't have to pause to ponder whether it's really worth it, it probably isn't realistic.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
scoobs wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Fans often fantacize that a bad contract can be gotten rid of with little pain, so they often propose trades which involve players no one will miss (Bryant, Zubac) or low draft picks that aren't valuable.

My feeling is if you look at a proposed trade, and you don't have to pause to ponder whether it's really worth it, it probably isn't realistic.

True, there hasn't been a trade so far without any pain other than Lou Will. Like I said before people were outraged with DLO trade. With the most current trade, Nance hurt the most. People could care less about the pick, they had a choice they would have given up Clarkson only without a pick returning. However, it looks like we came out on top of each trade. If you have a smart FO, you will find the best trade possible. Then theres an off chance you find an idiotic FO...

Last edited by chantruong on Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Are two first-rounders enough to dump Deng? The closest recent example is DeMarre Carroll from last summer. He also had two years left on his deal but remains a much more useful player. He was traded for Toronto's #29 and #59 picks this upcoming draft. You figure one of our first-rounders (assuming we score the Lebron-PG13-Randle trifecta) won't be far off from #29. The other will obviously be substantially higher than #59, which you can argue is not far off from an undrafted player you can sign outright without giving up assets otherwise.

So now you ask yourself if you would trade 2017 Carroll for a late first rounder with 2018 Deng? I like those chances but would not be surprised if we needed throw in a second-rounder and/or Zubac.

Here's another thought. Considering how well our scouts drafted with late first-rounders last summer and the only reason to consider this deal would be to complete the aforementioned trifecta, who would you rather have - Randle or Kuzma+Hart?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 104, 105, 106 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Page 105 of 157
Jump to: